Author Topic: Old School 5 Review  (Read 10646 times)

Offline Slaytex99

Re: Old School 5 Review
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »
I got my box today.
6 Puzzle Pieces - No Dups
I like the Tattoo's, but would have preferred to get a complete puzzle with buying an unopened box.

Yea, it would be good to be able to get a full puzzle in a box at least.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2014, 10:25:51 AM »
 I have a long weekend with Columbus Day on Monday, so I’m finally getting around to setting down my thoughts on Old School 5.

I really like this series.  Wonderful combination of products I remember well, products that came back to me after not thinking about them for years and years, and products I’d never heard of – but loved the parody.

The art is some of the best from any Old School series yet!  I like the simple, strong visuals, really evokes wackys from back in the day, and there are many striking examples here.  Truly funny gags, and just the right amount of 1970s social and political references. OLDS5 is a winner on all counts in my book!  Thoughts on favorite stickers below.

Woozy Willy I played with Wooly Willy plenty when I was a kid, so the nostalgia radar was pinging.  Love the transformation of the original packaging, and an alcohol joke to boot!  Green eyelids are always classy.

Astro Sheen I went to an alternative high school that was racially balanced, so I remember Afro Sheen well.  “Your Hair will Defy Gravity” – great gag, and love the depiction of the alien.

Genesis Beer I’d never heard of Genesee Beer, but I love the art!  Top notch on the classic wacky look.  And beer for babies – what’s not to like? Fantastic expression on the little guy’s face.

I.C.B.M Root Beer Another product I didn’t know, but that doesn’t matter a whit.  The gag is spot on and the art is superb.  I got a real bang out of this one.

Raisin’its This proves that yes, the world really did need another raisinettes parody.  Again, the classic wacky look and Zombie raisins are my kind of fun.

Spiritgraph A thing of beauty.  Love the kids’ reaction to the pens drawing on their own.  The drawings the spiritgraph creates are out of this world creepy.  “Drawing you into the Afterlife” chuckle worthy and “Draw” a million phantoms, as punny as it gets.

Boston Burned Beans Like Spirograph, another trip down memory lane. The art is so clean and yet also expressive.  “Wicked Hawt” love the Bostonese.  So true to the original package, while being entirely wacky. Old School at its best.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:28:03 AM by Monsterettes »

Offline cddx

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2014, 06:25:14 PM »
How's this for luck. Bought 4 boxes and completed my entire set on the last pack of the last box.

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2014, 06:08:36 AM »
How's this for luck. Bought 4 boxes and completed my entire set on the last pack of the last box.

Did it in 2 (and a 4 card trade w/stevecelia:thanks) .....originally was only going for 1 keeper tattoo example....so bought a "Big Baddy" on Ebay....turned
out to be the only one I didn't get in a pack LOL!

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »
Late to the party, but a few thoughts about some of my favorite titles:

Mello Fello: One of the best characters among the titles.
Def-Con: I saw the box that Jason had and it was really cool to see Muhammad Ali's likeness be utilized in creating the character. And loved the gag as well.
Spiritgraph: I echo what Monsterettes said... love how the kids are reacting to the pens drawing by themselves, and the gags are so funny.
Raisin'Its: I like the detail on the corpses.
Genesis: Loved the character on this one.
Star Wreck: As a Star Trek fan, I can appreciate this one.
Shyster Cola: Loved the gags and the literal portrayal of the ambulance chasing lawyer.
Skold: I love the line "for dips who dip."
Krimm-L Rations: Fun gag and I like the detail on the puppy prisoner.

Oh, and my sketch was by Christian Slade, Hippy Trash Bag. Will try to post a pic later.

anything