Author Topic: The 16th Series  (Read 15525 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: The 16th Series
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 10:07:32 AM »
I think series 11 was the last I collected but I do have a vague recollection of the series 12 and 13 titles. For some reason series 11 is dear to my heart. I can't figure out why. I also have very fond memories of series 5, 6, 7. Those series were in the hey day of Wacky's. Those are the stickers we stuck everywhere. I don't think I ever saved an original series sticker. They were all put to good use ;)
I collected up until series 15, but found very few packs from series 11-14.  Series 2 is my favorite, as those were the first packs I opened.  When I found series 1 packs in a different store shortly afterwards, there were just a few, and I knew I'd never 'collect them all.'

I also stuck Wackys, particularly series 5-8, but only my 'dubs.' 

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »
I collected up until series 15, but found very few packs from series 11-14.  Series 2 is my favorite, as those were the first packs I opened.  When I found series 1 packs in a different store shortly afterwards, there were just a few, and I knew I'd never 'collect them all.'

I also stuck Wackys, particularly series 5-8, but only my 'dubs.' 

Where I'm from "Mt. Healthy" about 10 miles from (Cincinnati) they only carried the originals up to series #10. So you can imagine how happy I was when I first got back into the hobby! There were literaly almost 200 titles I did'nt even know about!!! :o
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 01:22:13 PM »
Here in the thriving Metropolis of Sidney, Ohio, we went all the way up to the 15th series and I collected 'em all up to that point.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 01:26:20 PM »
Here in the thriving Metropolis of Sidney, Ohio, we went all the way up to the 15th series and I collected 'em all up to that point.
Just rub it in Gary! >:D You're only 50 miles from me & you got 5 extra series!!! :o Just kidding :]

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 01:30:33 PM »
Just rub it in Gary! >:D You're only 50 miles from me & you got 5 extra series!!! :o Just kidding :]
LOL.  I remember thinking WTF when they did the 11th series with the magazines.  I thought the 14th and 15th series were magical though.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 01:41:38 PM »
LOL.  I remember thinking WTF when they did the 11th series with the magazines.  I thought the 14th and 15th series were magical though.
I think the #11 series were "Topps" answer to "Fleers" (Crazy Covers)

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 01:43:44 PM »
I think the #11 series were "Topps" answer to "Fleers" (Crazy Covers)
Except the Wackys were MUCH better done.  Didnt like the size reduction though.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 01:46:34 PM »
Except the Wackys were MUCH better done.  Didnt like the size reduction though.
You think? :^) I think the "Artwork" on the (Crazy Covers) was FAR superior to the "WACKYS"... If you believe that I'll sell you some (Beach Front) property in "Death Valley" LOL!!! :]

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 03:16:36 PM »
You mean you are being less than truthful????  I am apalled.....LOL

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 07:14:24 PM »
What would consider a good price range NOW for 16th's?? or could they still fall further..

I bet you could get a nice base set of 20 stickers for around $1200 these days.  Puzzle for around $200, and a Scott NC for around $100-$150.  The problem is that there are not many sellers now because the going rate os so much lower than it was 3-4 years ago when a base set would go for more than $2500.  A puzzle would cost you $300 and a Scoot NC was at least $200.  I'm sure a lot of people think that prices will go up again, but I don't believe they will.  Unless of course there is a wave of new collectors that don't have a set, and they start nidding wars again.
Still looking for Series 17

wackyone

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
ya i agree Bill,
I know a guy sitting on a nice lot of cards and he won't sell em cause he thinks the prices are gonna back up and even after offering him more then the average selling price for some of them in the last 3 years he still won't budge.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2010, 12:40:22 PM »
I was a late-comer with Wackys when I was a kid.  I didn't start collecting until the 6th series.  That is why the 6th series is very nostalgic for me.  I know a lot of people don't really care for the 6th but I love 'em.  I think Mold Rush is one of the best Original Series puzzles.  I remember that the 6th series was in stores for what seemed like forever.  When the 7th series came out, I almost didn't buy any because the packs were still blue and I figured they were still 6th.  Then some friends started showing up with 7ths so I rushed down to the dime-store and bought a bunch of packs.  I was in the fifth grade and one of the most distinct memories I have of the Originals is when me and another kid were looking through our 7th stickers and we discovered that we had two different versions of Grime.  I remember that he had one version and I had the other but I don't remember who had what.  We made some trades so that we both could have both versions.  Before the 7th disappeared, I know that I had a least three copies of each version.  Then my mom threw out my collection when I left for college (but that is another story)!

I ended up collecting 6 thru 9 but never saw 10.  I had 11th and 12th and then finally  14th (all tan).  In fact I never knew that there were white-backs until 1999.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 02:31:54 PM »
  Then some friends started showing up with 7ths so I rushed down to the dime-store and bought a bunch of packs.  I was in the fifth grade and one of the most distinct memories I have of the Originals is when me and another kid were looking through our 7th stickers and we discovered that we had two different versions of Grime. 

I remember biking down the the convenient store to buy packs  when I was in 4th or 5th grade. Now you can't even let kids that age out of the block. Times have changed!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2010, 09:23:04 AM »
I think series 11 was the last I collected but I do have a vague recollection of the series 12 and 13 titles. For some reason series 11 is dear to my heart. I can't figure out why. I also have very fond memories of series 5, 6, 7. Those series were in the hey day of Wacky's. Those are the stickers we stuck everywhere. I don't think I ever saved an original series sticker. They were all put to good use ;)

I feel the same way about series 10.  It's one of my favorite series.  I would have to say series 11 is one of my least favorites though.  I'm not crazy about the magazine titles.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2010, 07:55:01 PM »
I feel the same way about series 10.  It's one of my favorite series.  I would have to say series 11 is one of my least favorites though.  I'm not crazy about the magazine titles.
Series #10 is one of my absoloute favorites also Rob, probably because it was the last original series that was sold where I grew up (Mt.Healthy Oh) but I must say when I "Re-Discovered" Wacky again a few years ago & got back into the hobby seriously I really liked series #11, but I also like the "Crazy-Covers" as bad as the (Art) was...LOL!!! :]