Author Topic: What's next in Wackyland?  (Read 2917 times)

Offline DrDeal

What's next in Wackyland?
« on: August 08, 2014, 04:39:21 AM »
I think we have OS 5 in Sept and ANS1 in Nov. Where is the next postcard set? Are there any other Wacky releases coming our way?  Chrome was great but my postcard binders need some new life. Halloween Postcards should surface in Oct right?

Offline jleonard1967

Re: What's next in Wackyland?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 05:01:07 AM »
Don't forget the brand new wacky packages due out in November.  More patch cards and I read there are medallion cards also.  ( I assume that those are  similar to the Mars Attacks cards).   That is the set I am looking forward to.  You are correct that OS5 comes out with post cards also.  However don't forget about the product everyone overlooked.  Yes I am referring to the wacky / Star Wars mash up.  To my knowledge it has not been cancelled, despite all the rumors.  I personally did not buy any of those.  (Hope I don't end up regretting that).   On the brand new series though I did preorder the full allocation of 7 cases. 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 05:17:33 AM »
Don't forget the brand new wacky packages due out in November.  More patch cards and I read there are medallion cards also.  ( I assume that those are  similar to the Mars Attacks cards).   That is the set I am looking forward to.  You are correct that OS5 comes out with post cards also.  However don't forget about the product everyone overlooked.  Yes I am referring to the wacky / Star Wars mash up.  To my knowledge it has not been cancelled, despite all the rumors.  I personally did not buy any of those.  (Hope I don't end up regretting that).   On the brand new series though I did preorder the full allocation of 7 cases. 

7 cases - wow!!  What do you do with all the extras?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 05:39:14 AM »
On the brand new series though I did preorder the full allocation of 7 cases. 

That comes to, what, over $2500? Do you plan to try to recoup a lot of that by selling anything? I'm just curious, because the willingness to put out this kind of dough on new releases fascinates me. It's nothing negative on new wackys, but in terms of preserving any value going forward it seems like a risky proposition.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 07:20:03 AM »

I pre-ordered one Hobby box of ANS1. Maybe another is in order? I did not pre-order the starwars/wacky release. Still feeling like it is not on. It would be nice to hear from Topps on that topic.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 07:22:51 AM »
Yes it is a lot of money, 350 per case. I do like the patch cards and me and my wife do enjoy opening them.  I do a lot of trading with the extras for other series.  I have to admit I am not doing this for the money.  I do understand the value of money, it is more about the trading that I enjoy.    My wife thinks I am nuts but I then show her all of her Pandora jewelry she buys and just shrug my shoulders.  I interact with many people (this group, Philly, Facebook)  I have traded wackys for other facets of my collection.  I also take all of the base cards and package them in groups of ten to fifteen cards and sell them to the kids for .25 cents a pack At Flea markets.  I do this for 2 reasons first and foremost, I am trying to get a younger crowd interested in cards so the hobby does not die.  (you should see how excited they get digging in the box finding the right pack for a quarter).   (If anyone doesn't want their base extras I will always pay the shipping if you want to send them to me).   Second I get a lot of people that come up to me and say I have these cards are you interested in buying them.  So my initial investment might be high however the returns do pay off.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 07:33:23 AM »
That's all fine, if you can afford it and enjoy it there's no problem. With the nice vintage stuff, while I happen to enjoy it more, I also like that it's a lot easier to get money back out of in the unfortunate case that becomes necessary. The new wackys, like new cars, seem to depreciate very quickly.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »
Yes it is a lot of money, 350 per case. I do like the patch cards and me and my wife do enjoy opening them.  I do a lot of trading with the extras for other series.  I have to admit I am not doing this for the money.  I do understand the value of money, it is more about the trading that I enjoy.    My wife thinks I am nuts but I then show her all of her Pandora jewelry she buys and just shrug my shoulders.  I interact with many people (this group, Philly, Facebook)  I have traded wackys for other facets of my collection.  I also take all of the base cards and package them in groups of ten to fifteen cards and sell them to the kids for .25 cents a pack At Flea markets.  I do this for 2 reasons first and foremost, I am trying to get a younger crowd interested in cards so the hobby does not die.  (you should see how excited they get digging in the box finding the right pack for a quarter).   (If anyone doesn't want their base extras I will always pay the shipping if you want to send them to me).   Second I get a lot of people that come up to me and say I have these cards are you interested in buying them.  So my initial investment might be high however the returns do pay off.

I like your flea market idea!  Unfortunately, there are none of those around here.  I had been buying multiple extra base sets at a bulk discount from Leslie and selling/trading them to the comic store for a few bucks a set - that keeps people around here interested in Wackys.  I actually have been asked about "when will I bring chrome" but the set is just too pricey.  Halloween is a good time to give stickers to kids!  And, I'm still known as the "sticker lady" at the post office because I put Wackys on trade packages.  One of the clerks started buying packs to show her kids what she collected as a kid.

I haven't broken even since the Flashbacks, but I do have fun!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 09:10:33 AM »
That is what it is about.  Getting other people involved in our hobby ;D

As for new cars yes they depreciate the fastest, however they are nice to have the new model.  I have traded new sets for old wackies many times. It is all about the networking.  You are also correct, as long as you can afford it enjoy it.  to some 1 box is all that can be afforded to others multiple cases are ok.  It just ends up what you want to spend your money on. 

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 09:36:34 AM »

You are awesome! Great story! I see myself doing this once my career takes off as im a recent college grad at the moment!
My girlfriend and I are Wacky Pack collectors, since 2008

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »
I think we have OS 5 in Sept and ANS1 in Nov. Where is the next postcard set? Are there any other Wacky releases coming our way?  Chrome was great but my postcard binders need some new life. Halloween Postcards should surface in Oct right?

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=3365.0