Author Topic: Wacky Art Discussion  (Read 146471 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Wacky Art Discussion
« Reply #246 on: September 21, 2011, 03:10:27 PM »
New Wacky Website

www.wackyartist.com
I finally got around to creating a site dedicated to my own personal Wacky art collection. At one time I was going to create a website about all Wacky art and artists. I don't have the time for such a project so I give you this instead. When you see the page of Wacky stickers click on the sticker to see a big scan of the original painting with a few detailed notes above the image.
Fan-tastic!  You have really picked out some great pieces that are well done.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #247 on: September 21, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »
Yeah, I did notice that!

But I didn't realize the painting was the same size as the box. Did you know that before you bought it?

I did because I know Edmiston always paints in that scale.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #248 on: October 08, 2011, 09:31:34 PM »
Hey, that's a cool showcase for Wacky art and I'm flattered that my Chickless painting is among some terrific pieces.

New Wacky Website

www.wackyartist.com
I finally got around to creating a site dedicated to my own personal Wacky art collection. At one time I was going to create a website about all Wacky art and artists. I don't have the time for such a project so I give you this instead. When you see the page of Wacky stickers click on the sticker to see a big scan of the original painting with a few detailed notes above the image.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #249 on: October 09, 2011, 09:26:08 AM »
I'm flattered that my Chickless painting is among some terrific pieces.

Someone new to this hobby would be scratching their head after reading that     :017:

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #250 on: October 09, 2011, 09:38:29 AM »
Awesome collection Mark, and great work on the web site!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #251 on: October 10, 2011, 01:23:33 PM »
Why are there no worms on the finished sticker. This art has so much more detail, how did it not make it on the sticker???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Series-8-Original-Color-Art-GOLDFISH-CRACKERS-/320772926331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaf8e6b7b

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: October 10, 2011, 01:47:40 PM »
Why are there no worms on the finished sticker. This art has so much more detail, how did it not make it on the sticker???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Series-8-Original-Color-Art-GOLDFISH-CRACKERS-/320772926331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaf8e6b7b
I think topps is afraid of a Trivial Lawsuit. like the package says "zero guts"

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #253 on: October 12, 2011, 06:13:04 AM »
I think topps is afraid of a Trivial Lawsuit. like the package says "zero guts"

"zero-guts" is another way of saying "lawyers"!! 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #254 on: February 15, 2012, 10:38:45 AM »
Hi all..

Say, did the Old School Meltathon art scans ever get posted to the forum?  I couldn't find them, and am trying to wrap up a Marathon-related post for my website today.  Was hoping to include it. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #255 on: February 15, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »
Hi all..

Say, did the Old School Meltathon art scans ever get posted to the forum?  I couldn't find them, and am trying to wrap up a Marathon-related post for my website today.  Was hoping to include it. 

Is this what your looking for?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #256 on: February 15, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »
Is this what your looking for?

Nah... I found that.  I thought that Dave might have posted scans of the actual paintings at some point, but apparently not.  I am pretty sure he did for Old School 1.

It's okay though.  I just used a scan of the sticker.  :-). Here's the posting if you are curious.

http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=711
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline bandaches

« Reply #257 on: March 09, 2012, 02:31:57 PM »
Anyone know who the latest owner was of all of these pieces?  Many of them seem to have pass through Mike Crist hands and I see several different ebay ids as shown as winning these over the years on ebay.  I received a strange email from someone who claims all of these pieces were donated to charity and they are looking for a full appraisal of the value for tax purposes.  They seem to thinnk this collection is worth $150k which of course I told them was insanely high.

1. Soggy Babies

2.       Mr. Stubble

3.       Clunky

4.       Hipton

5.       Evil Time

6.       Long Line

7.       Hate and Kill

8.       Sneez-it

9.       Brut 88

10.   Schtick

11.   Fright Guard

12.   Koduck

13.   Rinkled Wrap

14.   Pig Newtons

15.   Hungry Jerk

16.   Temple God

Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #258 on: March 09, 2012, 02:47:11 PM »
It would seem the previous owner of these pieces has died. I doubt any living collector would donate valuable titles like these. I'm surprised Brian Lambert doesn't own Brute 88.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #259 on: March 09, 2012, 03:03:36 PM »
It would seem the previous owner of these pieces has died. I doubt any living collector would donate valuable titles like these. I'm surprised Brian Lambert doesn't own Brute 88.

I'm almost positive Brian used to own both Brute 88 and Schtick.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: March 09, 2012, 04:13:48 PM »
16.   Temple God

what is that one?

last time I saw Mike Crist's collection a couple years ago, none of these were in it, so I guess it's been quite awhile since he had them.

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #261 on: March 09, 2012, 05:37:54 PM »
Hey Ern,
I am very familiar with these pieces and used to deal with the previous owner who went by the name of 'Gojeffrey'.  I never owned Brute88, but always wanted to...  Greg purchased it from Ebay under the stealth name of 'JoeBarber', then sold/traded it to Scott Broberg.  When Broberg broke up his collection, Jeff purchased 'Brute88 & Schtick' from Scott.  Most of the other pieces came from Toppsvault with some exceptions like the 5th Series 'Hungry Jerk' that came from Greg. 

I really wonder what happened to Jeff?  The last time I talked with him had to be around 5 years ago (2007ish).
Can you give us any other information about the charity's intentions?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #262 on: March 09, 2012, 08:24:37 PM »
Hey Ern,
I am very familiar with these pieces and used to deal with the previous owner who went by the name of 'Gojeffrey'.  I never owned Brute88, but always wanted to...  Greg purchased it from Ebay under the stealth name of 'JoeBarber', then sold/traded it to Scott Broberg.  When Broberg broke up his collection, Jeff purchased 'Brute88 & Schtick' from Scott.  Most of the other pieces came from Toppsvault with some exceptions like the 5th Series 'Hungry Jerk' that came from Greg. 

I really wonder what happened to Jeff?  The last time I talked with him had to be around 5 years ago (2007ish).

Are you saying you never owned Schtick? I could have sworn you had it with you at one of the Philly Shows.

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #263 on: March 10, 2012, 05:25:34 AM »
Are you saying you never owned Schtick? I could have sworn you had it with you at one of the Philly Shows.

Yep, positive, never owned it... I believe you may be confusing me with John Mellard who owned Schtick and brought it to Philly one time.  He also brought Kleenaxe, Exceedrin, Boozo, Whiskeys, and a few others at different times.  Between John and Scott, they passed a ton of pieces through their hands, probably around 40 or so.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #264 on: March 10, 2012, 06:41:40 AM »
Yep, positive, never owned it... I believe you may be confusing me with John Mellard who owned Schtick and brought it to Philly one time.  He also brought Kleenaxe, Exceedrin, Boozo, Whiskeys, and a few others at different times.  Between John and Scott, they passed a ton of pieces through their hands, probably around 40 or so.

Wow, now I really regret never making it to earlier shows!  How cool it would have been to see original series Wacky paintings in person!

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #265 on: March 10, 2012, 07:50:51 AM »
Wow, now I really regret never making it to earlier shows!  How cool it would have been to see original series Wacky paintings in person!

Yeah, there used to be some really cool gatherings at Greg's and other places, and we all used to carry our latest art pieces and a spare to trade or sell...  as a matter-of-fact, Scott Broberg always wanted to play a serious round of Wacky Poker where everyone would ante-up a piece of art to get in the round.  It came close to happening, but never did.  Good thing, because we found out later that Scott was a very good closet poker player, and would have wiped us out!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #266 on: March 10, 2012, 09:04:17 AM »
16.   Temple God

what is that one?

last time I saw Mike Crist's collection a couple years ago, none of these were in it, so I guess it's been quite awhile since he had them.

I could swear Mike had rinkled wrap for sure as well as some others at one time but it appears gojeffrey is the ex-last-owner of these pieces.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #267 on: March 10, 2012, 09:07:23 AM »
Hey Ern,

I have no idea of the Charity's intentions, I expect we will find these for sale on Heritage or one of the main auction sites.  Shill bidding seems to be commonplace on those auction sites and the fees are outrageous so I tend to avoid them.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #268 on: June 23, 2012, 08:01:08 PM »
Now accepting offers.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2012, 11:12:04 PM »
Now accepting offers.

Are there any pasted on letters?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #270 on: June 23, 2012, 11:53:22 PM »
Are there any pasted on letters?
Most of Dave's Wacky art has paste on letters. But not like Edmiston's early pieces. Dave's letters are permanently fused to the art and painted over for a decent blend.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #271 on: June 26, 2012, 09:21:20 AM »
Most of Dave's Wacky art has paste on letters. But not like Edmiston's early pieces. Dave's letters are permanently fused to the art and painted over for a decent blend.

I'm trying to be a bit more conscious of the pasted letters. I imagine it's tough painting letters but I just don't know how long before they fall off. Maybe not in my lifetime.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #272 on: June 26, 2012, 11:57:06 AM »
I'm trying to be a bit more conscious of the pasted letters. I imagine it's tough painting letters but I just don't know how long before they fall off. Maybe not in my lifetime.
Wacky art is fragile. Even the paint can flake off if you don't treat it well. Fragility is the nature of art. Most Wacky artists use glue in their art. Some use it for text. Some will mount the entire sheet to a thicker sheet using spray glue. Spray glue can sometimes fail after a very short time. It's a legitimate concern but once you know which artists use weak methods then you just avoid collecting them in the short term. Buy them second hand over time. After a few years if the piece hasn't come apart it should never be a problem. My own paintings were done on masonite boards. Nothing glued or pasted.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #273 on: June 26, 2012, 12:28:19 PM »
Wacky art is fragile. Even the paint can flake off if you don't treat it well. Fragility is the nature of art. Most Wacky artists use glue in their art. Some use it for text. Some will mount the entire sheet to a thicker sheet using spray glue. Spray glue can sometimes fail after a very short time. It's a legitimate concern but once you know which artists use weak methods then you just avoid collecting them in the short term. Buy them second hand over time. After a few years if the piece hasn't come apart it should never be a problem. My own paintings were done on masonite boards. Nothing glued or pasted.

With some Wacky art having stuck on letters and such, how does Topps create a digital image?

I guess they use a scanner and clean up any shadows? I wonder how they did it back in Norm's day. Maybe a good Zerox copier

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #274 on: June 27, 2012, 11:09:46 PM »
With some Wacky art having stuck on letters and such, how does Topps create a digital image?

I guess they use a scanner and clean up any shadows? I wonder how they did it back in Norm's day. Maybe a good Zerox copier

The old art used letraset. Press on letters. There was nothing to clean up in the image. Some of today's Wacky artists attach cut-outs containing an entire logo or patch of text which can catch a shadow showing a step. Not something you want to see on a painting for which you spent 2K. Or 3K in the case of Grape Newts. But these imperfections are easy to clean up in photoshop as well as all the pathetic misspells. 

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #275 on: June 29, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »
The old art used letraset. Press on letters. There was nothing to clean up in the image. Some of today's Wacky artists attach cut-outs containing an entire logo or patch of text which can catch a shadow showing a step. Not something you want to see on a painting for which you spent 2K. Or 3K in the case of Grape Newts. But these imperfections are easy to clean up in photoshop as well as all the pathetic misspells. 

Would that be the case for Gloomy Bears?? if you remember?? thx - How does Neil do his art??

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2013, 05:48:20 PM »
I'm planning to get my few pieces of Wacky art professionally framed. Does anyone have any tips on this process?

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »
I'm planning to get my few pieces of Wacky art professionally framed. Does anyone have any tips on this process?
Get drunk/stoned and wing it..........................
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #278 on: January 08, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »

I've used hobby lobby. They do a great job and make sure you use museum glass.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »
I've used hobby lobby. They do a great job and make sure you use museum glass.

Thanks, that is very helpful. I'd like to avoid too many rookie mistakes on this.

By the way, the name Hobby Lobby makes me think of Conjunction Junction.

anything