Author Topic: Wacky Art Discussion  (Read 142740 times)

Offline Plan 9

Re: Wacky Art Discussion
« Reply #280 on: January 08, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »
A shop that exclusively frames art would be a good option. It costs a little more but for good reason. Chain stores like Aaron Bros. and Hobby Lobby hire kids and morons. They're good for framing family photos and posters. Not art. They can be careless handling and storing your art and they might even use something in the framing that could damage your piece just because the manager didn't teach them right. I frame my own art. It's not hard and you can be sure the art will remain in safe hands. Get some acid free matte board. Get some basic stock frames and chuck the glass. Get some museum glass cut for you at Michael's Art Supply. Get a matte cutting kit and you have everything you need.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #281 on: January 08, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »
Thanks, that is very helpful. I'd like to avoid too many rookie mistakes on this.

By the way, the name Hobby Lobby makes me think of Conjunction Junction.

Don't you have a Hobby Lobby by you? I thought they were nation wide. They generally have half price frames and they have a ton to pick from.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2013, 09:14:36 PM »
A shop that exclusively frames art would be a good option. It costs a little more but for good reason. Chain stores like Aaron Bros. and Hobby Lobby hire kids and morons. They're good for framing family photos and posters. Not art. They can be careless handling and storing your art and they might even use something in the framing that could damage your piece just because the manager didn't teach them right. I frame my own art. It's not hard and you can be sure the art will remain in safe hands. Get some acid free matte board. Get some basic stock frames and chuck the glass. Get some museum glass cut for you at Michael's Art Supply. Get a matte cutting kit and you have everything you need.

My Hobby Lobby will measure the art and then I take it home with me so they are not in possession of it. I've had very good luck but YMMV.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #283 on: January 09, 2013, 05:01:49 AM »
Don't you have a Hobby Lobby by you? I thought they were nation wide. They generally have half price frames and they have a ton to pick from.

I do. The name just tickles me.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #284 on: January 09, 2013, 05:05:11 AM »
I do. The name just tickles me.

I've never heard of Hobby Lobby.  But, now I have the Conjunction Junction song stuck in my head.....................

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #285 on: January 09, 2013, 05:05:42 AM »

Thanks for the info. I was planning to check out a store like you describe that is very near my house, but will also consider doing it myself on your advice.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #286 on: January 10, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »
I've never heard of Hobby Lobby.  But, now I have the Conjunction Junction song stuck in my head.....................
LOL, wasn't there a Lolly lolly song?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #287 on: January 10, 2013, 09:27:16 PM »
LOL, wasn't there a Lolly lolly song?

Yep, Adverbs... "Lolly, Lolly, Lolly get your adverbs here..."   You are gonna have to brush up on your Grammar and Multiplication Rock with those little ones around.  :P
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #288 on: January 10, 2013, 10:09:31 PM »
Thanks for the info. I was planning to check out a store like you describe that is very near my house, but will also consider doing it myself on your advice.

When I think of doing it myself I think of a learning curve and waste. Sometimes it's easier and cheaper to have someone do it for you.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #289 on: January 11, 2013, 03:35:00 AM »
When I think of doing it myself I think of a learning curve and waste. Sometimes it's easier and cheaper to have someone do it for you.

I want to try one myself, hopefully in the next few months.  I think it will be interesting, and maybe cheaper than having Michaels do the work.  I figure I won't spring for the museum glass until I have the matte ready, and that way, if I mess up, I'll only be out the cost of the matte.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #290 on: January 11, 2013, 01:45:26 PM »
Yep, Adverbs... "Lolly, Lolly, Lolly get your adverbs here..."   You are gonna have to brush up on your Grammar and Multiplication Rock with those little ones around.  :P
Yup, I will be digging out all of those tapes as we have them all.  Finding a VHS player could be the challenge...who woulda thunk!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #291 on: February 07, 2013, 09:57:10 PM »
Now Topps is calling Art as a painting? My search has failed with OLDS4. I guess it was meant to be.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #292 on: July 19, 2020, 07:00:46 AM »
So, who here has original art?

I was attempting to put money together and buy my first piece around a half a month ago but failed. Eyes bigger than my... wallet? (It was Kreepy Crackers from ANS 6)

I am curious as to how many pieces that the collectors here have in juxtaposition to the monolith of, say, Eric Roberts.

I was also going to bring up the part of undiscovered art. How many OS titles have not been discovered yet? Where do you think they'd be? Hidden in the Topps Vault, never to be found, in some collector's hands?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:13:46 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline drono

« Reply #293 on: July 19, 2020, 07:21:10 AM »
I have no original art pieces, but I do have a couple original drawings.  The OS ones are way too rich for my wallet, or at least what I'm willing to spend from my wallet.

I have considered buying one 2017 piece that I really like though just to say I have one.  It's still pretty high to justify spending that kind of money for something I'll just hang on the wall.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: July 19, 2020, 08:06:05 AM »
I have no original art pieces, but I do have a couple original drawings.  The OS ones are way too rich for my wallet, or at least what I'm willing to spend from my wallet.

I have considered buying one 2017 piece that I really like though just to say I have one.  It's still pretty high to justify spending that kind of money for something I'll just hang on the wall.

I don't have any original 1-16 Wacky art, but I have quite a few from ANS, Old School, and the Postcards.  Also a couple from independent sets.  What 2017 title is it that tempts you?

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #295 on: July 19, 2020, 08:13:20 AM »
I have won an original piece, Tobbebone, by David Gross.

I would love some original 1-16 items, but i can not imagine the costs for the final painting(s)

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #296 on: July 19, 2020, 08:37:31 AM »

I was attempting to put money together and buy my first piece around a half a month ago but failed. Eyes bigger than my... wallet? (It was Kreepy Crackers from ANS 6)

I am curious as to how many pieces that the collectors here have in juxtaposition to the monolith of, say, Eric Roberts.

I don’t have any of the original art. When some of the pieces starting becoming available in the mid ‘80s to early ‘90s we had two small children and just didn’t have the disposable income. I have a color TOADSIE ROLL SLOP by Jay but I’ve seen a few similar around. I know Forum member Toadally Dude (Scott Broberg) had several for at least awhile. Pretty sure Bandache (Ernie) did as well. 

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline freetoes

« Reply #297 on: July 19, 2020, 04:58:09 PM »
At one time Greg had about three dozen pieces, including some of my favorites from Series 4 and 5 (Fatina, Nutlee's Quit). I'm not sure how many he hung on to.

From about 2002 on, previously unseen OS pieces would emerge from the Topps Vault to be auctioned on eBay. These included such iconic pieces as Jail-O, Dull and Band-Ache. The last of these was listed with a $1M BIN at one point. (Eric didn't take the bait.) Maybe 100-something remain unaccounted for, hiding in warehouses, swiped by employees, their whereabouts otherwise unknown.

I have very little current information on who owns what, and I will let the owners volunteer that if they wish.

Offline dserna

« Reply #298 on: July 19, 2020, 08:24:37 PM »
My kids and I have collected Wacky Packages from the recent series off/on. Recently, we started putting our pennies together and bought some paintings. We’ve bought some from eBay, most from the artists themselves which has been a true joy. Here is our collection of original Wacky paintings:

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=207227

While the original paintings (from OS 1-16) are amazing, they are waaaay out of our price range. We’re sticking with collecting art from the new series.

Daniel
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:47:18 PM by dserna »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #299 on: July 20, 2020, 03:07:59 AM »
My kids and I have collected Wacky Packages from the recent series off/on. Recently, we started putting our pennies together and bought some paintings. We’ve bought some from eBay, most from the artists themselves which has been a true joy. Here is our collection of original Wacky paintings:

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=207227

While the original paintings (from OS 1-16) are amazing, they are waaaay out of our price range. We’re sticking with collecting art from the new series.

Daniel

Oh, so you're the one who got that Coach Motel...  8)

Very nice collection! (Along with everyone else here of course)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #300 on: July 20, 2020, 04:22:34 AM »
I still have several pieces of original series art, a canned Label, 1980s art(Stinky) and some ANS art.  My goal was to get high quality pieces across many eras as opposed to accumulating quantity.  I think there are some collections out there still with dozens of pieces but no "A" pieces.  There was a survey done long ago asking collectors to rank their top pieces and resulting in a top 77 pieces list.  I will have to see if I can dig up the results.  Funny but some of the more outspoken folks early on always predicted I was collecting art purely to flip for $ and they all did exactly that while I still have many pieces.  I did sell some in order to support buying something else.

I still have one of my most prized possession, Hurts despite getting numerous high offers over the years.  This is clearly in the A category and was ranked near the top of the top 77 rankings.
http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/Art/Hurts.JPG

I also have amassed the largest collection of Frankenstein(Valentine) art from 1966 set.  The detail in these pieces blows away most wacky art as these seem to be 100% Saunders and not the work of a collection of artists in which Saunders did touch ups like he did for so many original series wackys.  If anyone knows of any of these pieces being for sale, please drop me a line.

Here is an example of one of my favorites:

http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/Frankensteinart/werewolf-letstrollinthemoonlight.JPG

Offline Swiski

« Reply #301 on: July 20, 2020, 05:15:38 AM »
If I recall, A lot of the original series art was scanned for the two Abrams books. Not sure if Topps already had those scanned before the auctions, or if Abrams contacted people who own the artwork for permission to scan them. Obviously there is still a lot of missing artwork out there.

I'm not in the same league with many of you, to be able to purchase any original artwork. Poor career choice I guess. For those with original 16 art - how do you protect that old artwork as the rub-down lettering or paint flakes off? Do you spray some sort of clear fixative over the artwork? I assume that's a bad idea since some of those clear sprays may yellow over time.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #302 on: July 20, 2020, 05:38:20 AM »
I would suggest NOT attempting to paint over flaking issues, like that wise guy with the Promesso art...

Which pieces of OS art do you still own, Ernie? (Disregarding Hurts, albeit it should not be disregarded). And, which can label?

I looked at the Valentine art on your site and that's super cool as well.

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #303 on: August 25, 2020, 12:10:51 PM »

I was also going to bring up the part of undiscovered art. How many OS titles have not been discovered yet? Where do you think they'd be? Hidden in the Topps Vault, never to be found, in some collector's hands?

I have a bunch of John Pound, Jay Lynch and Bill Griffith roughs

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #304 on: August 25, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »
I have found that to be well outside my financial scope [and, fortunately, not a great interest of mine]. I do have the original roughs which Jay did for ANS 1 Anvil. Note they don't match the final art, particularly the top one, which I think he did first.

Offline drono

« Reply #305 on: August 25, 2020, 02:51:36 PM »
That looks nice.  Did you get that professionally framed?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #306 on: August 25, 2020, 06:29:43 PM »
That looks nice.  Did you get that professionally framed?
Yes.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #307 on: August 25, 2020, 08:29:22 PM »
I have a few original art pieces from modern sets, nothing before 2000. I have a few reproductions/redraws of great artwork that I wasn't able to get the originals to - but most of my Wacky 'art' is in the original little sketches that later became the blueprints for Attacky Packages releases. They fit easily in a binder!
A

Offline freetoes

« Reply #308 on: August 26, 2020, 05:52:32 PM »
If I recall, A lot of the original series art was scanned for the two Abrams books. Not sure if Topps already had those scanned before the auctions, or if Abrams contacted people who own the artwork for permission to scan them. Obviously there is still a lot of missing artwork out there.

I'm not in the same league with many of you, to be able to purchase any original artwork. Poor career choice I guess. For those with original 16 art - how do you protect that old artwork as the rub-down lettering or paint flakes off? Do you spray some sort of clear fixative over the artwork? I assume that's a bad idea since some of those clear sprays may yellow over time.

Jay Lynch restored a piece or two by painting on the missing letters or fragments. He charged $100 and did excellent work; the result looked just like the original.

anything