Author Topic: Wacky Art Discussion  (Read 145542 times)

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
Re: Wacky Art Discussion
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2011, 12:58:21 PM »
It's definitely a little fuzzy for a hi-res scan.  It's strange though because the signature looks fairly sharp.

I'd still love to see a good scan of Crispux.

Here's my interpretation of what the scan might look like, but I probably have the colors and values all wrong.

[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/1140024759_cpyPC-X2.jpg[/expando]
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2011, 02:10:29 PM »
take a look at the framed and matted Stake 5 Art.

Looks great!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2011, 02:46:45 PM »
I just scanned it again and used Photoshop to adjust pretty close to the original.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »
take a look at the framed and matted Stake 5 Art.

That looks really nice!  I like that red outline in the matting.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »
I just scanned it again and used Photoshop to adjust pretty close to the original.

Cool, Thanks Brad.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2011, 08:49:29 PM »
He does a pretty decent job on lettering which I feel could be a total bitch job. I can't image how painstakingly of a job. The breakaway on the top could be better but overall I love it. I only wanted it for the hockey player. I thought he did a fantastic job with the character. overall I'm very pleased!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »
He does a pretty decent job on lettering which I feel could be a total bitch job. I can't image how painstakingly of a job. The breakaway on the top could be better but overall I love it. I only wanted it for the hockey player. I thought he did a fantastic job with the character. overall I'm very pleased!
With this good scan I have a lot more appreciation for the character. I wish it didn't look so murky on the sticker. It reminds me of the Homer Simpson character from that other parody series. I think the gag was Krusty Donuts.

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2011, 02:20:18 PM »
Not sure where to post this really, but I figure this is a decent spot. I have a friend whose last name is Bonami, so I did this painting for him for Christmas. It's an 11"x14" gouache on board. It was fun to redo a Saunders, and while I see a lot of things I wish I did differently (I was not used to doing washes at that size) I am pretty happy with the result. I though y'all might like to see it.

Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #183 on: January 09, 2011, 02:43:03 PM »
Very Cool! Thanks for posting!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2011, 02:51:23 PM »
I've always loved the character in Bone Ami. Awesome job!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2011, 04:18:05 PM »
Not sure where to post this really, but I figure this is a decent spot. I have a friend whose last name is Bonami, so I did this painting for him for Christmas. It's an 11"x14" gouache on board. It was fun to redo a Saunders, and while I see a lot of things I wish I did differently (I was not used to doing washes at that size) I am pretty happy with the result. I though y'all might like to see it.

(Image removed from quote.)
Pretty nice study. Do more!

Offline Crust

« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
Nice job! It looks great!! ;)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2011, 07:06:10 AM »

If that is your first crack at replicating the "great one" you did very well! 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2011, 07:55:46 AM »
Thanks guys! I think If I do another I am going to do it 5"x7" so I can lay down large areas of color better.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2011, 12:39:29 AM »
I wanted to bring attention to this remarkable sketch card that just hit ebay. It's very nice work but what I like most about it is it's originality. Wacky Packages should mass produce cards like this for it's base set or as a subset. Every Wacky collector should be able to add this one to his collection.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2011, 01:03:15 AM »
Spread Bull originally sold for over $1600. Now only a few months later it goes back up on ebay and sells for just $565 and it included a gold border sticker! The auction might have done a little better if it wasn't listed the same week as 8 other Toppsvault pieces and if it had been a scan instead of a murky photo.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
I wanted to bring attention to this remarkable sketch card that just hit ebay. It's very nice work but what I like most about it is it's originality. Wacky Packages should mass produce cards like this for it's base set or as a subset. Every Wacky collector should be able to add this one to his collection.
I noticed this last night, someone bid on it immediately.  Awesome piece!  A whole set of these would be amazing!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2011, 08:32:17 AM »
Thanks guys! I think If I do another I am going to do it 5"x7" so I can lay down large areas of color better.
Anxious to see more, this is great!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »
That's a terrific card. Cool that Brent incorporated and transcended the printed red border.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #194 on: January 17, 2011, 05:29:07 PM »
That's a terrific card. Cool that Brent incorporated and transcended the printed red border.
I think I'll just stop making sketch cards now.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #195 on: January 17, 2011, 07:24:01 PM »
What's the story with this one? I haven't seen this sticker yet. Was it published? Topps just listed it on ebay claiming it's from series 7 and they don't say anything about it being a non-published gag.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »
What's the story with this one? I haven't seen this sticker yet. Was it published? Topps just listed it on ebay claiming it's from series 7 and they don't say anything about it being a non-published gag.

That's the first I've seen or heard of it. That looks like Neil's signature.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
That's the first I've seen or heard of it. That looks like Neil's signature.
a Lost Wacky... or maybe it'll show up in postcard series 7?

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2011, 10:32:21 PM »
I like it. They should have saved it for Series 8.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2011, 03:14:42 AM »
I like it too.  Nicely done piece.  I like the bubbles.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2011, 06:56:56 AM »

This was approved for ANS7. But there was a big issue is with the spelling. "Tenticle" should have read "Tentacle". Wouldn't have been so bad if it had only appeared once, but it shows up in the title and on the cap several times. My fault completely. Mark Stepper did an amazing job on the concept (and actually spelled "Tentacle correctly!). My apologies go out to him for the gaffe! But I'm told Topps still wants to publish it in book format. It's going to be called, "Why Can't Wacky Artists Spel?"
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:00:28 AM by koduck »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2011, 07:38:47 AM »

"Tenticle" should have read "Tentacle"

Whew, and I'm relieved the "n" didn't accidentally morph into an "s"

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: January 18, 2011, 08:18:21 AM »

This was approved for ANS7. But there was a big issue is with the spelling. "Tenticle" should have read "Tentacle". Wouldn't have been so bad if it had only appeared once, but it shows up in the title and on the cap several times. My fault completely. Mark Stepper did an amazing job on the concept (and actually spelled "Tentacle correctly!). My apologies go out to him for the gaffe! But I'm told Topps still wants to publish it in book format. It's going to be called, "Why Can't Wacky Artists Spel?"

I had been wondering why Topps didn't mind the Seagerms title with the incorrect spelling of chloroplast.  Guess the one appearance was OK.

Offline Dracky

« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2011, 08:25:40 AM »

Hey Neil...no worries...you did a FANTASTIC job with the OCT painting! Come to think of it, there were 5 comments on OCT before yours and not a single mention of the spelling error...hmmm...perhaps Topps could have gotten away with it  :-\

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »

Hey Neil...no worries...you did a FANTASTIC job with the OCT painting! Come to think of it, there were 5 comments on OCT before yours and not a single mention of the spelling error...hmmm...perhaps Topps could have gotten away with it  :-\

I guess we need a book sequel: "Thank Goodness Wacky Fans Can't Spel?"

Offline Crust

Re: Shut out of ANS7 Wacky Packages entry: Sparkler Paper Towels
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2011, 01:36:35 PM »
On ebay there is some supposed series 7 lost wacky original art. I have never heard of this card. The cards is called "Oct" tell me what you guys know.

Offline Dracky

« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2011, 02:09:10 PM »
Hey there...I can shed some light on OCT. I wrote the concept and Neil created the painting. It was approved by Topps for ANS7 but due to a spelling issue...Tentacle was spelled Tenticle...the gag was pulled. I'm not sure if Topps has any future plans to publish this concept. If you go to the Wacky Art thread you'll see Neil's explanation on OCT. Hope that helps!

Offline Crust

« Reply #207 on: January 18, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »
I had the same thoughts of it being a lost wacky. I posted the question on the main forum. It was nice, but hey another title for the all lost wackys set we talked about! :D

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #208 on: January 18, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »
Sparker is a Lost Wacky now. They won't use it. They pulled it due to excessive violence (they don't like the idea of a pyromaniac and burning down the family house). Here is the pic:

Dude that is funny...LOVE IT...screw those PC Topps faggits..hopefully they will auction it off - it would have been a bit funnier with people hanging out the window....a bit more Wacky!!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »
This would have been an easy Photoshop fix. I wonder why they just didn't do that?