Author Topic: Wacky Art Discussion  (Read 145611 times)

Offline Plan 9

Wacky Art Discussion
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »
I figured I'd start this thread for general Wacky art chat so we can keep the auction thread limited to auction results. Here are a couple of paintings I did that Topps won't publish. They were unsolicited submissions. They told me they don't even consider cold submissions. Whatever. Sculpture has always been my thing until last year when I discovered painting. These were my first few attempts.

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Wacky Art Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 12:16:03 PM »
I think all of your wacky work that I've seen is above the average level that we've seen for ANS. I think these are both great. The art that is, which is all that really matters to me.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 12:20:12 PM »
Mark,  I found both of your paintings to be very enjoyable.  Simple, straight-forward gags with not a lot of clutter.  Good deal.  Thanks for sharing them with us.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline 1980Phils

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 01:24:16 PM »
I'm not the connoisseur that the others here are, but I prefer what you presented here to many, many of the ANS art work.  Topps seems to be of the opinion if its not overly gross, its not good, which I very much disagree with. Here's hoping they get a brain and reconsider your work.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 01:35:21 PM »
I figured I'd start this thread for general Wacky art chat so we can keep the auction thread limited to auction results. Here are a couple of paintings I did that Topps won't publish. They were unsolicited submissions. They told me they don't even consider cold submissions. Whatever. Sculpture has always been my thing until last year when I discovered painting. These were my first few attempts.
Those would both make FANTASTIC WACKYS!!! :o Great work Mark....What is "Topps" thinking about??? :^)
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 02:17:39 PM »
Great job on both. I can't take my eyes off the top of the can on Hornets. Let us know if you ever make those into cards. Amazing how far you've come in a short time.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »
Those are really nice! You should do a set and sell it to the forum members. I'd buy a few!

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 02:36:35 PM »
Those are really nice! You should do a set and sell it to the forum members. I'd buy a few!
I almost suggested the same thing Brad! I say make a whole set Mark! You could  even (borrow) the name "Goofy Groceries"  :^) Just a thought ???

Taz

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »

Me too, do you take PayPal Mark  ;D

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 04:45:38 PM »
Those are both cool Wackys, thanks for posting them.  Did you submit them to Topps before or after Dead & Buried?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 05:09:44 PM »
Wow! Thanks guys. Your feedback is so positive and I really appreciate it!!
I sold a gag to Topps for the 2010 series and they gave it to another artist telling me I'm not a good enough painter. I was eventually able to get in a couple of paintings for the 2010 series thanks to Smokin' Joe. He gave me one of his approved gags and had me paint it on the sly. He sent it in with his stuff, then mentioned I did it. At that point they were desperate for more paintings so they asked me to do another one. I'll always be sore about having them take my best gag ever and hand it to someone else. I never would have done it but I thought I was being a "team member". That's a corporate analogy for "willing to take it up the ass".

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 09:12:15 AM »
I think all of your wacky work that I've seen is above the average level that we've seen for ANS. I think these are both great. The art that is, which is all that really matters to me.

I agree, good stuff from someone who has only been painting for a year.  I wish I had a hidden talent like that!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 09:36:42 AM »
Both of those are great!   :)

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 04:43:20 PM »
Wow! Thanks guys. Your feedback is so positive and I really appreciate it!!
I sold a gag to Topps for the 2010 series and they gave it to another artist telling me I'm not a good enough painter. I was eventually able to get in a couple of paintings for the 2010 series thanks to Smokin' Joe. He gave me one of his approved gags and had me paint it on the sly. He sent it in with his stuff, then mentioned I did it. At that point they were desperate for more paintings so they asked me to do another one. I'll always be sore about having them take my best gag ever and hand it to someone else. I never would have done it but I thought I was being a "team member". That's a corporate analogy for "willing to take it up the ass".

Well, at least it seems like you came out OK "in the end".

The two you shared with us look great. I look forward to seeing your 2010 series contributions!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »
I approached Topps about two years ago with a plan for doing a series of Wacky characters. Since this is one of my favorite characters I made this little statue as a sample. I was going to do a limited edition of 300 each of about 6-12 characters. Topps was reeeeaaaalll slow on negotiations. By then I decided not to do outside licenses anymore. I have three of these guys collecting dust.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »
I approached Topps about two years ago with a plan for doing a series of Wacky characters. Since this is one of my favorite characters I made this little statue as a sample. I was going to do a limited edition of 300 each of about 6-12 characters. Topps was reeeeaaaalll slow on negotiations. By then I decided not to do outside licenses anymore. I have three of these guys collecting dust.
WOW!!!  :o That is fantastic Mark! By any chance would you like to sell one? :^)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:35:00 PM by RonZombie »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 03:36:12 AM »
That's awesome!!  I'm sorry they were never produced, I'd definitely buy something like that.  Dr. Popper is one of my favorites, and one of those items that I always refer to by it's Wacky title.  And that was an excellent choice for this format, as it has 'action' - the splashing and waves are just great!

Taz

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 06:27:58 AM »
Mark that is beyond fantastic, I too as a wacky collector would love to have it in my collection!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 01:46:38 PM »
Very Cool indeed.  Of course I would love to have a realistic looking Busted Finger candy bar with an even more realistic looking finger coming out of it!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 11:19:32 PM »
I'd be willing to let a Dr. Popper go but I couldn't sell it for the retail price it would have been if all 2000 statues were made. There's only three and I made them all by hand starting from the raw clay, though the molds and castings, the assembly and paint. Thousands in time and materials are invested. But since I consider the investment lost I could let one go for under $1000 or trade. Anyone want to trade for original series or re-issue boxes? With or without packs, I don't care. I might even trade one for a gold border Battlecaps.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 07:22:53 AM »

Very cool, Plan!  Although Dr Popper isn't one of my faves, I think you did a fantastic job on the sculpture (and on the two wacky paintings at the start of this thread, esp Hornet Chili).  I wish Topps would hire you to make a run of a few thousand sculpture run of some of the iconic Wacky characters.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 07:24:05 AM »
I'd be willing to let a Dr. Popper go but I couldn't sell it for the retail price it would have been if all 2000 statues were made. There's only three and I made them all by hand starting from the raw clay, though the molds and castings, the assembly and paint. Thousands in time and materials are invested. But since I consider the investment lost I could let one go for under $1000 or trade. Anyone want to trade for original series or re-issue boxes? With or without packs, I don't care. I might even trade one for a gold border Battlecaps.

And did you make 3 of Dr P or was it three different characters?  If it was three different characters, would you be willing to post pics of the other two?  I'm sure there are many that would like to see them.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 02:36:56 PM »
And did you make 3 of Dr P or was it three different characters?  If it was three different characters, would you be willing to post pics of the other two?  I'm sure there are many that would like to see them.
I only made the one character. I have three Dr. Poppers.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 06:36:24 PM »
Lovely work.  Sorry these didn't come to fruition, I've no doubt it would have been a great series.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 01:46:01 PM »
Those are simply fantastic Mark!  I can only hope Topps will reconsider, I'd love to see those in sticker form.  Strong visuals, great gags, a simple look like the originals.  Bravo!!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 05:41:24 AM »
The Speed Lick art went for $415 last night.  Are people getting tapped out, or perhaps that was just not a big favorite?  Maybe they're saving up for the new releases.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 10:41:39 AM »
The Speed Lick art went for $415 last night.  Are people getting tapped out, or perhaps that was just not a big favorite?  Maybe they're saving up for the new releases.

While I personally wasn't so fond of that one, I was surprised it went as low as it did.  I don't have any explanation, other than it being summer sometimes leads to a bit lower prices.  Still, I would have bet a lot of money it would have at least broken $500.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 10:47:20 AM »
I thought the gag was a very clever idea.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »
These are great dude.  Vibrant colors, non-cluttered(ANS tend to be very cluttered with ultimately very small lettering), very detailed(love those hornets).
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
These are great dude.  Vibrant colors, non-cluttered(ANS tend to be very cluttered with ultimately very small lettering), very detailed(love those hornets).

But are they memorable characters?  :^)

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 07:10:22 PM »
But are they memorable characters?  :^)
Ha and ha. Probably not. I'm just a beginner with painting. When ANS2010 comes out let me know what you think of the characters I created for those.

Topps was incredibly lucky to get a highly experienced artist near retirement and willing to work for peanuts at that time. Topps won't find anyone to fit that bill again because they don't exist anymore. Today's Wacky artists are quite skilled. Some of them will eventually do masterful work if they stay with Wacky Packs that long. But at the moment the weakest element of Wacky Packs is the one I care about most. Characters. The product illustration gets better and the text gets better, but the characters have gone the other way.

Here are some of my gags Topps turned down. I'm pretty new to drawing and painting but I think I could have done some justice to these characters in the painting stage.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 09:18:30 PM »
Thanks for posting those, Mark.  I like Catscade the best, followed by Country Spock.  Does Topps give you a reason for each idea they reject?

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 09:25:19 PM »
Thanks for posting those, Mark.  I like Catscade the best, followed by Country Spock.  Does Topps give you a reason for each idea they reject?
I liked "Catscade" the best also, that one has real potential...Great work Mark! ;)

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 12:35:50 AM »
I thought the gag was a very clever idea.
Me too. Very good gag. Didn't you write that one?
I just wish the eyes had more rendering. They're the stars of the package. They needed that sticky wetness, reflections and a cross shadow to bring out depth and roundness.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 12:46:48 AM »
Here's what they said;
Hyde changed too many letters, there's too many cat gags in Wackys these days, he never heard of the national bottled water called "Sparkletts", no explanation on GoonPie, Fisties was too mean, he thought Country Spock was a legal issue, though he was totally wrong. Nobody can own the name of "Spock" and the caricature doesn't show a Star Trek uniform. They suggested I redraw the bursting packs on CrabbySun but rejected it in the meantime. Maybe my gags are not funny enough or maybe they're not rendered well enough but they're just rough ideas. They could have been refined later. Taglines can be changed minute to minute but they just shot 'em down.

Here's another sketch they rejected. They said it was too vague.