Author Topic: Chrome Variations  (Read 22496 times)

Offline Wgblood

Chrome Variations
« on: July 26, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »
I just bought a couple of value packs from my local Target in St Paul. Was disappointed with the first pack because of a printing error that clipped the corners. The next pack was a little better. I assume this is an alternate art card

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
RE: Chrome Variations
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 11:01:02 AM »
I found a variation. This one was easy. I skimmed over all my cards and this is the only one I could find. Leave it to Neil to pick Koduck.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: RE: Chrome Variations
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »
I found a variation. This one was easy. I skimmed over all my cards and this is the only one I could find. Leave it to Neil to pick Koduck.

Nice find!  What does the back say?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 11:37:31 AM »
Nice find!  What does the back say?

It's just like all the others. No difference.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »
It's just like all the others. No difference.

Thanks for the info.  Two ducks swapped - neat idea!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 12:40:32 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Two ducks swapped - neat idea!

So the drakes are the fakes.   :-[
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 03:40:31 PM »

Does it have any indication written on the back that it's a variation?  Or is it flying under the radar?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »
Does it have any indication written on the back that it's a variation?  Or is it flying under the radar?

Totally under the radar. When I sorted them by number I would flip them over and see if I could find any variation. At first I was looking really close at the artwork. Then I decided just to flip through them somewhat faster and this one stuck way out.

I don't know if any words have been altered but I thought it was just the characters. It makes sense since these are pretty easy to alter than repainting an altered card.

I wonder if these are the only 2? I checked and I didn't pull the other variation.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »
I don't know if any words have been altered but I thought it was just the characters. It makes sense since these are pretty easy to alter than repainting an altered card.

I wonder if these are the only 2? I checked and I didn't pull the other variation.
well, the wrappers say there are 2 kinds of variations:  character and artwork.

I would guess that this is the character.

Eager to see what an 'artwork' change means

Offline SuperfractorNut

Re: Chrome Variations
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 04:48:45 PM »
Only 200 hobby cases!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 07:18:21 AM »
Only 200 hobby cases!

This would make sense due to 2750 Golds (25 each x 110 Base cards). 200 Hobby cases X 12 = 2400 Hobby Boxes.

That would work out. So about 350 Hobby Boxes have 2 Golds in them. I did get two Golds in one of my seven Hobby Boxes.

The low Pre-orders on this release caused collectors who purchased it to get a better deal in terms of Gold and Blue Hobby Only cards.

That's what I thought would occur.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 08:34:31 AM »
This would make sense due to 2750 Golds (25 each x 110 Base cards). 200 Hobby cases X 12 = 2400 Hobby Boxes.

That would work out. So about 350 Hobby Boxes have 2 Golds in them. I did get two Golds in one of my seven Hobby Boxes.

The low Pre-orders on this release caused collectors who purchased it to get a better deal in terms of Gold and Blue Hobby Only cards.

That's what I thought would occur.

Dude - you are : premonition Wacky Man!! - now tell us which Wacky's have the artwork variation ??  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 05:38:25 PM »
Best Line on the Koduck card "Watch the Birdie" LOL

Online Joe G.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 09:56:01 PM »
The next variation just showed on eBay and it's kinda wild.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 09:57:22 PM »
The next variation just showed on eBay and it's kinda wild.

That's a hell of a lot better than what I've seen. That is great!

Offline havok77

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »
Only 200 hobby cases!

that is super low . im surprised the case price hasnt risen yet .

Offline havok77

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 10:56:30 PM »
kind of wishing i had bought some more now . if the price is gonna go up . but even if it was short printed..... it seems like  half the members here dig em and the other half dont ..... so even if short printed ? its not like everyone just has to have them .... so looks like topps printed just enough to satisfy the wacky collectors.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 03:20:16 AM »
kind of wishing i had bought some more now . if the price is gonna go up . but even if it was short printed..... it seems like  half the members here dig em and the other half dont ..... so even if short printed ? its not like everyone just has to have them .... so looks like topps printed just enough to satisfy the wacky collectors.

It will be interesting to see if case prices go up. They have come down for hobby cases in the last few releases. I also think they made the right amount. I liked buying what I did but have no impulse to buy more.  One master set of base cards and parallel set mixed with Golds, Blues,  Atomics, X Fractors and basic refractors, plus one sketch will do it for me.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 05:31:19 AM »
kind of wishing i had bought some more now . if the price is gonna go up . but even if it was short printed..... it seems like  half the members here dig em and the other half dont ..... so even if short printed ? its not like everyone just has to have them .... so looks like topps printed just enough to satisfy the wacky collectors.

I have lots for sale - If you are looking for anything particular just PM me....sketches, blue, gold, etc...boxes, wrappers, refracs...etc..Love the CHROME!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 07:38:42 AM »
that is super low . im surprised the case price hasnt risen yet .
That might be about right because if you get one gold per box and only 25 were printed of each title...well you can do the math.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 07:50:44 AM »
That might be about right because if you get one gold per box and only 25 were printed of each title...well you can do the math.
but based on how much everything is selling for on ebay I really think the remaining cases will go down in price.  example 1 week ago golds were selling in the 40-50 range now I am seeing them in the 20 - 30 range.  same with blues.  Sketches are not bringing a premium.  The back bone of a case is the blue and the gold and you do not get enough to justify a case for 700.00.  I know I am not buying another case at that price, however if the case price drops to 500 range (45 per box) i will pick up another case. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 10:20:34 AM »
Look what I just pulled

Online Joe G.

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »
Brad that is AWESOME!

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 10:43:14 AM »
Look what I just pulled

see what happens here is the "green" WP peeps and dealers might sell a SET of 100 cards without ever knowing the variations exist...might b a nice surprise..unfortunately not from "astute" collectors like us!!  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 10:44:46 AM »
Look what I just pulled

question is how MANY of these exist??? this would be classified as "artwork" - this cool as is the Mars Attack one too...I have to recheck my stack...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »
question is how MANY of these exist??? this would be classified as "artwork" - this cool as is the Mars Attack one too...I have to recheck my stack...

I just saw the Mars Attack variation on ebay. That one is cool.

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 03:11:29 PM »
there are ~100 of each if there are 4 total variations. Two of each type (two art, two mix up), according to the odds.

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »
I just saw the Mars Attack variation on ebay. That one is cool.
it's posted up above as well.

these art alterations are easily the killer cards. far, far, insanely far, superior to those 1/1 über-refractor monstrosities.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 04:57:36 PM »
it's posted up above as well.

these art alterations are easily the killer cards. far, far, insanely far, superior to those 1/1 über-refractor monstrosities.

I am not liking the look of the Superfractors. They have this tiny machine roll / sawblade design that is not pleasant to view.

The altered cards are fun and a surprise. They were a very cool addition to this release.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
there are ~100 of each if there are 4 total variations. Two of each type (two art, two mix up), according to the odds.

Do we know how many chrome boxes and paks in total? The odds for the alternative cards are showing up on paks in the
blaster boxes and the value packs, and I'm assuming on the TRU paks as well? A

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 07:31:54 PM »
Love these alternate cards!  I wouldn't have cared much if there was some tiny detail changed, but I really like the far-out way these have been changed.  Sadly, I suspect I won't end up with one, but they are fun to see.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 07:56:54 PM »
Love the alternate cards we've seen so far, too!  Do they have anything on the back to indicate
that they are "alternates"? 

And I know it's posted somewhere, but for refractor variations, we have
1.  the plain refractors
2.  blue
3.  gold
4.  These checkboard designs, from Target
5.  super-duper atomic

Am I missing any?

Offline quas

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 08:18:49 PM »
Look what I just pulled

From Topps Make Your Own Name Stickers #6:  (Sy)

http://www.normansaunders.com/OwNm-01.html
Marc

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 08:35:06 PM »
Love these alternate cards!  I wouldn't have cared much if there was some tiny detail changed, but I really like the far-out way these have been changed.  Sadly, I suspect I won't end up with one, but they are fun to see.

I don't always love being wrong, but I do in this case.  Literally, an hour or so after making my statement above, I pulled one of these cards.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 08:37:02 PM »
Love the alternate cards we've seen so far, too!  Do they have anything on the back to indicate
that they are "alternates"? 

And I know it's posted somewhere, but for refractor variations, we have
1.  the plain refractors
2.  blue
3.  gold
4.  These checkboard designs, from Target
5.  super-duper atomic

Am I missing any?

4. Are called X-refractors
5. Are called Superefractors
Plus the Atomic Refrctors that look like cracked ice or stain glass
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)