Author Topic: New Wacky product  (Read 26015 times)

Offline bigtomi

New Wacky product
« on: July 25, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »
For those of you who do not have a Jaymar puzzle (and even if you do), are you aware of this new Wacky item? I just stumbled upon it today on eBay (and purchased one) and thought it was cooler than Chrome and, more importantly, very reasonably priced.

http://www.whitemountainpuzzles.com/Wacky-Packages-1000-Pieces-Just-Released/productinfo/1065PZ/

Jason, check this site out, if you haven't yet. Very cool candy wrapper and related puzzles:
http://www.whitemountainpuzzles.com/Vintage-Candy-Wrappers-300-Pieces-NEW-EZ-Grip-/productinfo/1017PZ/

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: New Wacky product
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 04:05:56 PM »
Cool, surprised they don't try to promote these more....

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 04:07:30 PM »
Tom, that is too cool!  Great find!  I will definitely be grabbing one to do with the kids.

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 04:10:30 PM »
Thanks for the tip - it looks really cool!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »
Indeed, thanks for the tip!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 03:31:03 AM »
Very cool!  Thanks for the heads up, I'm really looking forward to this.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 07:37:25 AM »
Just placed an order. That should be hours of Wacky fun.

Thanks,  Andrew

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 07:46:12 AM »
Just placed an order. That should be hours of Wacky fun.

Thanks,  Andrew
A DEALER SIZED ORDER ?                                                  HEHE                    HAHA
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:07:09 AM »
Thanks for the info. I just ordered both puzzles. I may order more in the future but I want to see what these are like first.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 09:30:13 AM »
I just ordered both puzzles.
let everyone know if the colors are as horribly over saturated on the physical puzzle as they are in that awful online image

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »
Wow! Really cool. I just ordered one using your link. I couldn't find it searching eBay.

My wife & I love doing puzzles. We did the Jaymar WP puzzle a few years back and had it matted and framed.
We're looking forward to doing this one too! Thanks for posting.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 11:04:30 AM »
I wonder if it's officially licensed. I didn't see a mention of Topps in the description.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 11:53:21 AM »
I also noticed the puzzle has two ANS titles; Fed Up and Bisquake.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 12:07:44 PM »
I also noticed the puzzle has two ANS titles; Fed Up and Bisquake.
other non-vintage:  Bunyuns, Foolger's, Hi-Sea and Alpoor

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »
I wonder if it's officially licensed. I didn't see a mention of Topps in the description.

Fred that is an interesting observation.  They have a ton of puzzles of various food product labels that are similar to the Wackys.  Maybe they just figure it's public domain.  If it isn't licensed buy one fast as Topps is sure to shut them down!

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »
other non-vintage:  Bunyuns, Foolger's, Hi-Sea and Alpoor

Yep, I didn't notice those before.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 06:27:38 PM »
I've always been hoping that a new Wacky jigsaw puzzle would be released but I this one doesn't quite do it for me.  They should have stuck with all original series titles and they shouldn't have them lined up so neatly, all facing the same direction.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 08:23:06 PM »
I don't care for it too much. Many of the main title names and images are cut off and although I like a collage, these images seem so smashed together.

The company has been around for 30 years, and they sell their products on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Mountain-Puzzles-Packages-1000-Piece/dp/B00L6JDKDS/ref=sr_1_9?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1406774675&sr=1-9&keywords=wacky

This "artist" who has created these product puzzles is a fellow named Charlie Girard. In his bio, he claims to have permission to use the 3 Stooges images, and that it takes upwards of $100K to release one of these puzzles. They all look very rough and not professional to my eyes and am surprised the candy and cereal and car companies went for it. Maybe he sells tons and is making a fortune, and I'm just an _oolgers

http://www.sundaystreet.net/2012/04/kindness-of-strangers-guest-blog.html

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm going to start saying I collect forfaits farfelus instead of Wacky Packages. It sounds so much more elegant!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 08:29:16 PM »
For those of you who do not have a Jaymar puzzle (and even if you do), are you aware of this new Wacky item? I just stumbled upon it today on eBay (and purchased one) and thought it was cooler than Chrome and, more importantly, very reasonably priced.

http://www.whitemountainpuzzles.com/Wacky-Packages-1000-Pieces-Just-Released/productinfo/1065PZ/

Jason, check this site out, if you haven't yet. Very cool candy wrapper and related puzzles:
http://www.whitemountainpuzzles.com/Vintage-Candy-Wrappers-300-Pieces-NEW-EZ-Grip-/productinfo/1017PZ/

Although I'm not one for putting jigsaw puzzles together, I simply like this just for the front of the box.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 09:21:03 PM »
I'm going to start saying I collect forfaits farfelus instead of Wacky Packages. It sounds so much more elegant!

HaHa!!!   That is freeking hilarious   

When you enter "forfaits farfelus" into Google translator for French, it says, "Wacky Packages"!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 09:26:15 PM »
HaHa!!!   That is freeking hilarious    

When you enter "forfaits farfelus" into Google translator for French, it says, "Wacky Packages"!

How do you come up with this shit?  ;D
Anyway. I didn't know this was available on Amazon. I don't get this - my order shipped yesterday by FedEx ground and the tracking on FedEx shows to expect it on 8/8. That is 10 days from NY. It should only take 4 days. I don't get it. I really don't need the puzzles until winter but this shipping seems a bit odd.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:35:01 PM by BumChex »

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 10:29:59 PM »
Anyway. I didn't know this was available on Amazon. I don't get this - my order shipped yesterday by FedEx ground and the tracking on FedEx shows to expect it on 8/8. That is 10 days from NY. It should only take 4 days. I don't get it. I really don't need the puzzles until winter but this shipping seems a bit odd.ould only take 4 days. I don't get it. I really don't need the puzzles until winter but this shipping seems a bit odd.
GREAT STOCKING STUFFERS
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:35:38 PM by BumChex »
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 07:09:14 AM »

I didn’t come up with that, it’s written on the puzzle box, under the WP logo!

I thought it was a foreign phrase that translated to the English word “puzzle” or maybe "parody puzzle"

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 07:48:17 AM »

I thought it was a foreign phrase that translated to the English word “puzzle” or maybe "parody puzzle"

I didn't know you can use Google to translate. I thought you made it up...LOL

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »

I did as well, and was pleasantly surprised (and amused) to see "Wacky Packages" pop up in the translator. I probably should have made that more clear in my post, so thanks for translating it!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 09:48:40 AM »
Ah, but "Paquetes Extravagantes" translates to: "Extravagant Packages"

Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 12:30:08 PM »
I like this one better than the Jaymar one from the 1980s.  In that one I hated the inclusion of the album stickers and the whole design seemed messy.  In this one, I like having ANS in the mix as it makes it feel like it covers the entire history of Wackys.  In terms of the ANS titles, it seems that Dave Gross got quite a few of his included.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:41:43 PM by Joe G. »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »
I like this one better than the Jaymar one from the 1980s.  In that one I hated the inclusion of the album stickers and the whole design seemed messy.  In this one, I like having ANS in the mix as it makes it feel like it covers the entire history of Wackys.  In terms of the ANS titles, it seems that Dave Gross got quite a few of his included.

I am excited about the new Wacky puzzle, and looking forward to assembling it, but based on the website pic, I'll still prefer the Jaymar puzzle.  I actually LIKE the "messy" aspect, as that's how I used to stick most of my Wackys as a kid.  The colors look truer, too, but maybe I'll think differently when I get to see the new puzzle in person.

Just curious - if you approve of ANS in the new puzzle because it covers the entire history of Wackys, why would you object to the inclusion of the album stickers on the Jaymar puzzle?  I think that was the latest set at the time the Jaymar puzzle was produced.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »
Well, it's because they're so small!  Why mix the small and classic sized stickers?  I like the classic card size stickers and those tiny album stickers always struck me as off.  The only set of them I have is stuck in an album.  I also never liked the addition of the parallel to Fearstone.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:25:09 PM by Joe G. »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »
Well, it's because they're so small!  Why mix the small and classic sized stickers?  I like the classic card size stickers and those tiny album stickers always struck me as off.  The only set of them I have is stuck in an album.  I also never liked the addition of the parallel to Fearstone.

In that mix on the Jaymar puzzle, I actually don't notice the size difference with the album stickers, and thought it was cool that they included some.

Now Flashback 1, that aggravates the heck out of me!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2014, 04:31:19 PM »
I just got in the puzzles today. I won't be putting these together until winter so I can't comment on the actual puzzle. The boxes are nice though ;)

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2014, 05:02:02 PM »

I got my puzzle today and I really like the box. I'm looking forward to putting it together and plan on starting soon.

As far as licensing goes, they have the registered symbol (R in a circle) next to Wacky Packages on the front of the box. On the side of the box it has TM & Copyright 2014 The Topps Company, Inc All rights reserved.
Also on the side of the box is a disclaimer. Disclaimer: The trademarks that may be dipicted in this puzzle are part of a work of art by an independent designer. White Mountain Puzzles Inc. is not associated or affiliated with the identified trademarks or trademark owners, nor have the various trademark owners endorsed this product.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 10:32:58 PM »
Their candy wrapper puzzle from a couple of years ago, which went on to become their "Puzzle of the Year" was also created by artist Charlie Girard - a fine fellow who doesn't get paid much for what he provides, but who lifted liberally from my Flickr archive of scans to create said puzzle.  And who claims to have gotten permission from the myriad candy companies for said puzzle (which not only do I doubt, but which I believe would be near-impossible based upon what I know of the companies involved).  The success of the candy wrapper puzzle led to their following it up by more and more collage puzzles created by Charlie, and clearly this Wacky Packages puzzle. 

When I learned of their use of my scans I contacted the manufacturer and what followed was my attempting to be nice while also attempting to communicate why their use of my scans to make themselves money without compensating me was messed up.  They never seemed to get it.  Charlie even suggested we could "collaborate" on future releases down the road.  I politely declined, still puzzled at how they didn't understand how the initial forced collaboration was wrong and unwelcome (and possibly illegal).  At first I assumed he painted over the scans digitally, but he explained that no, what you see are actually my scans, arranged and with a few physical candy pieces added above them digitally. 

Ultimately, I only sought to make sure that credit be added to the boxes and they agreed to not license the puzzle collage for any other media as it contained nothing but lifted images from my Flickr (and the CandyWrapperMuseum and another pal's image archive).  While I found Charlie and the owner of the company to be a bit dense to my misgivings, they were seemingly decent folks, and my patriotism at the puzzles being manufactured entirely in the USA also lent to my ultimately not pursuing any other action. 

Current versions of the Candy Wrapper Puzzle do contain a credit of sorts to myself and CollectingCandy.com, yet I've never been compensated for the images lifted and used, and I continue to find it to be a powerful annoyance every time I see these puzzles given special praise. 

I'd be curious to know if they ACTUALLY got the license from Topps, or if they've just learned to indicate it on the box.  I imagine Topps' legal department wouldn't be a easygoing as I was with my images being used.  So maybe they did get permission this time. 

, e
I don't care for it too much. Many of the main title names and images are cut off and although I like a collage, these images seem so smashed together.

The company has been around for 30 years, and they sell their products on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Mountain-Puzzles-Packages-1000-Piece/dp/B00L6JDKDS/ref=sr_1_9?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1406774675&sr=1-9&keywords=wacky

This "artist" who has created these product puzzles is a fellow named Charlie Girard. In his bio, he claims to have permission to use the 3 Stooges images, and that it takes upwards of $100K to release one of these puzzles. They all look very rough and not professional to my eyes and am surprised the candy and cereal and car companies went for it. Maybe he sells tons and is making a fortune, and I'm just an _oolgers

http://www.sundaystreet.net/2012/04/kindness-of-strangers-guest-blog.html

(Image removed from quote.)
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2014, 10:40:15 PM »

That would be cool, if they hadn't ripped off my archive of scans to create it.  Of course, I get why people respond so well to it, images of those wrappers are pretty unique and unusual... and many of them are mine.  The others he mined from CandyWrapperMuseum.com without permission, and Dan Goodsell's collection of images - also without asking permission.  

That damned puzzle ticks me off everytime I see it.  
[Edit:  That's their second candy wrapper puzzle - they stopped using my scans after their initial candy wrapper puzzle - the one that was their biggest seller ever... argh!]

http://www.whitemountainpuzzles.com/Candy-Lane-500p-Family-Puzzle-/productinfo/989PZ/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:42:27 PM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

anything