Author Topic: Wacky Chrome Sketch cards  (Read 9274 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Wacky Chrome Sketch cards
« on: July 23, 2014, 06:57:34 PM »
OK, chromes out! Here's a few of my sketch cards (spoiler alert):

Part 1: "The Chain Smoking Wacky Gang":

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: Wacky Chrome Sketch cards
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 06:59:18 PM »
And here's Part 2: "Wonky Wacky Wigglers":

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:03:10 PM by koduck »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:08:52 PM »
Those are great Neil. I'm sure I won't pull any of them :sad:

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 07:10:58 PM »
Those are great Neil. I'm sure I won't pull any of them :sad:

It's only a matter of time (and money)   :great:

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 08:31:29 PM »
Neil these cards are great and at such a small scale, I don't know how you do it.  I passed on Chrome sketches as my eyes are a bit old to work on such tiny cards.  I also saw on eBay that you painted 'Pixie' gag and it looks super.  Did you do any other art for the Cutting Room Floor set?

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 12:51:28 AM »
Alright! I was wondering if any of the artists would post their sketch cards!  :great:
A

Offline jg2000

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 04:52:03 AM »
Hi Wacky Fans! New Wacky artist Jon Gregory here, great to meet all of you. I'll be posting some of my sketch cards here from the Chrome Set. I look forward to hearing from you about what you think. Good luck with the hunt!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 05:35:52 AM »
Hi Wacky Fans! New Wacky artist Jon Gregory here, great to meet all of you. I'll be posting some of my sketch cards here from the Chrome Set. I look forward to hearing from you about what you think. Good luck with the hunt!

Hey Jon (we share the same spelling as that is our "family" spelling of my middle name). Always a treat to have the Wacky artists post here... welcome aboard.  I really enjoyed your sketch sampling. Hope to see more in the future. I think you've done a great job capturing some or our favorite characters in the spirit of the original art. Thanks again for the post.  
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline jg2000

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 06:44:43 AM »
Thanks so much Sco(o)t!!! Glad to be part of the Wacky family, it's been a LONG time coming.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 07:12:27 AM »
Jon, welcome aboard.  I'm a big fan of your AOD work, so glad you're doing Wackys!

Offline jg2000

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »
Thanks Joe! I'm trying to capture the true essence of the original characters with my work. Hopefully everyone feels that has been accomplished. To be mixed in with artists I've admired for many years is a thrill and I'm looking forward to keeping the nostalgia alive.

Offline jg2000

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 10:21:59 AM »
Here's another!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 01:56:41 PM »
Here's another!

awesome!! hope I pull that nice!!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »
Here's another!

wow, that Barman sketch is outrageous!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »
So far I'm fairly impressed with the sketches showing up on eBay.

Offline jg2000

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 05:50:43 AM »
So far I'm fairly impressed with the sketches showing up on eBay.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm curious to know what you want to see in a sketch card, meaning style, quality etc…….
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:52:51 AM by jg2000 »

Offline jg2000

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 05:54:26 AM »
I'm going to be posting a 'Sketch Card of the Day' on my thread under Artists & Illustrators if anyone is interested.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 06:14:56 AM »
And here's Part 2: "Wonky Wacky Wigglers":

Neil, terrific as always. On first look, I almost didn't catch the fact that these were mash-ups of two titles together. They are great, fun items. 

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 06:37:31 AM »
I'm glad to hear that. I'm curious to know what you want to see in a sketch card, meaning style, quality etc…….

Jon, personally, I really like your sketches that have been posted. You capture the flavor of the original character in a slightly more cartoonish style that I find appealing. I think we have seen through the various releases that many of the artists develop their own style and approach to these across the series. Neil Camera started out with pretty classic renderings of the original cards or characters, or his originals as in the postcard and OS series,  and then  began introducing runs of theme sketches, like his recent "vice" series. Some of my favorites are his mash-ups, combos, and guest-appearance sketches.

Mark Parisi always impresses me with his wit in placing the WP characters in new, humorous, and sometimes wild situations. I rarely see two sketches from him that are similar. I know at times the artists are asked to produce hundreds of these sketches at a time which really makes me appreciate his inventiveness.  Yet others like Fred Wheaton, Brent Engstrom and Smokin' Joe usually go with a pretty classic interpretation of the characters and  always produce very nice pieces. You just don't see a dud from these guys.

I am not trying to single anyone out, just showing that I think we have seen many of the WP sketch artists try new things over the years and find a niche for themselves. I think most of the WP collectors appreciate the varying styles and approaches as I know I do. I think we all look forward to seeing your current and future works as they are unwrapped.    
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:21:42 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline jg2000

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 08:12:29 AM »
That's great feedback Scot, thanks. Being a collector myself I like to set the bar high and I know how particular the 'Wacky Collector' can be. Give 'em what they want!

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 08:23:14 AM »
Agreed, and ill be honest, i love them all. And since I dont buy individualy off ebay, all of my sketches are pulled from packs I bought. Here are my 3 that I own, proudly displayed. I can tell you exactly when and where I was when I pulled them, each one brings me back to that moment in time

My girlfriend and I are Wacky Pack collectors, since 2008

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 12:01:02 PM »
Agreed, and ill be honest, i love them all. And since I dont buy individualy off ebay, all of my sketches are pulled from packs I bought. Here are my 3 that I own, proudly displayed. I can tell you exactly when and where I was when I pulled them, each one brings me back to that moment in time

Luke, that is so cool!  The sketch you pulled of mine, Mobster High, was the first gag I ever sold to Topps and the first sketch card I drew from one of my gags.  It was also the first sketch I did for ANS 11.  Finally, it was drawn before I saw the painting so the image is based on the original rough.  I'm so glad you like it.  Also it's nice to be in such great company.  Neil is the original and one of the finest sketch and all around Wacky artists and of the newer artists, Ron is the best!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:26:30 PM by Joe G. »

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 02:22:15 PM »
Wow, I was excited about it, now Im ecstatic! Thanks for the additional info on mobster high, love it! I remember the happy dance we did when we got it lol.

Oh and you gave me background on the other two, awesome thanks!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:32:30 PM by LukeDeem »

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 09:26:47 PM »
Luke, that is so cool!  The sketch you pulled of mine, Mobster High, was the first gag I ever sold to Topps and the first sketch card I drew from one of my gags.  It was also the first sketch I did for ANS 11.  Finally, it was drawn before I saw the painting so the image is based on the original rough.  I'm so glad you like it.  Also it's nice to be in such great company.  Neil is the original and one of the finest sketch and all around Wacky artists and of the newer artists, Ron is the best!

I know this is off-topic, since these aren't chrome sketches, but, in support of your Ron Comes comment,  I have been picking up some of his ANS11 sketches on eBay here and there over the past several months.  I really enjoy his work for this series. Here is the "gallery" I have accumulated:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:34:25 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
Scot, that is what I was talking about!  Great collection. 

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 10:23:22 PM »
Agreed! Very nice

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »

Being a collector myself I like to set the bar high...

As your sketch and avatar reflect, man do you set a high bar!

(That would make a stellar poster)

Looking forward to seeing more of your work Jon     :happy5:

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2014, 12:20:38 PM »
Here's the sketch card I pulled:

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 06:12:24 AM »

I pulled a Neil Camara Sketch - its awesome!! Great job Neil - as always!! Gold bordered - are they all Gold bordered??

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 06:23:13 AM »
i saw some on ebay that were green.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 07:53:53 AM »

Got a Len Brown signed Chromie...its nice!!post pictures later...

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2014, 08:14:53 AM »

I noticed that too. I don't know if these have a different border or if the camera/scanner just picks it up as a green tone rather than gold sometimes. I've noticed on the various refractor card pictures on eBay they come across many different ways ranging from looking like the background is almost clear, to being very dark blue in some.  Others make it look like a reflective mirror surface. It may just be the nature of the beast in terms of how the light reflects off the card when photographing. Your scan of the Jail-O sketch you pulled looks green to my eyes. Is that actually a gold-bordered sketch?

Some of the atomic refractor (I've also seen them referred to as cracked ice or stain glass) pictures on ebay make it appear you can hardly see the artwork. I picked up 4 of these this weekend and they are actually fine. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:21:04 AM by sco(o)t »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »
I noticed that too. I don't know if these have a different border or if the camera/scanner just picks it up as a green tone rather than gold sometimes. I've noticed on the various refractor card pictures on eBay they come across many different ways ranging from looking like the background is almost clear, to being very dark blue in some.  Others make it look like a reflective mirror surface. It may just be the nature of the beast in terms of how the light reflects off the card when photographing. Your scan of the Jail-O sketch you pulled looks green to my eyes. Is that actually a gold-bordered sketch?

Some of the atomic refractor (I've also seen them referred to as cracked ice or stain glass) pictures on ebay make it appear you can hardly see the artwork. I picked up 4 of these this weekend and they are actually fine. 

My sketch has a gold border, but you're right, the scan looks more like green. 

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2014, 06:08:56 PM »

Great sketch of a classic character!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »
These sketches are tough to pull. I only got 2 in 2 cases. I'm used to the ANS Collector cases where you would get about 3 per case.

anything