Author Topic: WP Old School 5 Thread - SPOILERS  (Read 115777 times)

Offline Slaytex99

Re: WP Old School 5 Thread - SPOILERS
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2014, 05:20:45 PM »
Beer is Back!

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

:0012394:

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2014, 04:45:38 AM »
Yes, there will be a new binder but it will be after the release.

I don't believe there will be a pre-sale this time.

David, No Pre-Sale but how about the Buy Three Get Free Poster (or whatever) and Free Shipping. Please advocate for us with Topps. Things are so different in the store as of late. A OS offer in the Store would be a nice

gesture.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2014, 04:44:58 PM »
David, No Pre-Sale but how about the Buy Three Get Free Poster (or whatever) and Free Shipping. Please advocate for us with Topps. Things are so different in the store as of late. A OS offer in the Store would be a nice

gesture.

I don't think they have posters made up for this series but I'll see if they have any deals planned.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2014, 03:00:12 AM »
I don't think they have posters made up for this series but I'll see if they have any deals planned.

Thanks very much. If you could also pinpoint a tentative actual date these should hit the Topps Store that would be appreciated.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2014, 06:02:23 PM »

Hey Dave, When do you think we will have these in hand, Looking forward to OS 5.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2014, 07:58:30 PM »

I emailed them but have not heard back yet. Will LYK

Hey Dave, When do you think we will have these in hand, Looking forward to OS 5.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2014, 06:44:51 PM »
I'm hearing the release date is the 17th though I'm not 100% on that. I should have a pic of the box, tattoos and some sketch cards soon.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2014, 07:19:15 PM »
I'm hearing the release date is the 17th though I'm not 100% on that. I should have a pic of the box, tattoos and some sketch cards soon.

One week to go. Sounds great!  Looking for a "Buy Three Get Free Shipping"  Deal...........

How about a Midnight sale???  Those have been quite fun.

Offline havok77

« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »
oh......... i guess i will miss out on these . will try and get to the hotel computer and order some . im on vacation next week ....

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2014, 03:01:21 AM »
oh......... i guess i will miss out on these . will try and get to the hotel computer and order some . im on vacation next week ....
I highly doubt you will miss out if you don't purchase these next week. They may sell out and then get restocked. I believe Topps likes to have
this product in the store for awhile. They are not like the Limited Postcard sets which used to Vaporize.

Offline havok77

« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2014, 10:21:48 PM »
this is a online topps store exclusive correct ? i just thought it would sell out  fast.  well im still gonna get on that hotel computer and order some boxes. dont want to miss out. i never got one of these releases .

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2014, 12:07:53 AM »
this is a online topps store exclusive correct ? i just thought it would sell out  fast.  well im still gonna get on that hotel computer and order some boxes. dont want to miss out. i never got one of these releases .

Yep, Topps sells these as a store exclusive.  I'll try to participate in a midnight madness release because it's fun, but I'm not worried about an immediate sell-out.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2014, 05:45:20 AM »
Yep, Topps sells these as a store exclusive.  I'll try to participate in a midnight madness release because it's fun, but I'm not worried about an immediate sell-out.

I don't think a midnight madness is warranted...these will stay at  the Topps store for months...unless they significantly cut swillduction...we'll see...OR
WILL THEY BE:

Don't SAY IT....................CANCELLED!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2014, 07:18:29 AM »
this is a online topps store exclusive correct ? i just thought it would sell out  fast.  well im still gonna get on that hotel computer and order some boxes. dont want to miss out. i never got one of these releases .

I believe that early on, Wacky Packages Old School did sell out fairly quickly, but part of the reason is that the print run was around 40% lower than it currently is.  I think it started at 3,500 boxes and got upped to 5,000 boxes in later series (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong).   In my opinion that print run increase was warranted at the time due to sketch-card frenzy and the subsequent huge purchases a few collectors were making, rather than there actually being a market for 5,000 boxes of the actual product. 

Since the collectors who were supporting the sketch card craze are no longer doing so, I think the increased print run for Wacky Packages Old School is no longer justified and you won't see anything close to an immediate sellout with current production numbers, as has already been stated here.  That said, I believe that the original intent with this product was to print enough to have in-stock and on-hand in the Topps store for a long period of time.  Though we can only speculate how the current folks at Topps view the scenario. 

Seeing things sell out is fun for collectors, because we feel we've got something special and "limited", and when things don't sell out we perhaps feel that what we have isn't good.  So I'll be curious to see how these do.

Ultimately I have the absolute confidence that the series is going to be a fun, high-quality one - regardless of whether the hardcore collectors feel it is less-desirable due to it never selling out.   Can't wait to open some packs!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Swiski

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2014, 08:10:43 AM »
One week to go. Sounds great!  Looking for a "Buy Three Get Free Shipping"  Deal...........

How about a Midnight sale???  Those have been quite fun.

I wouldn't put faith in these being available next week. Like all previous OS series, there are always stupid delays with Topps! We might not see these until November or December.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2014, 08:24:23 AM »
I believe the print run is smaller then 5,000 again.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2014, 09:27:54 AM »
I believe the print run is smaller then 5,000 again.

maybe 2000-3000 would be good...one sketch per box is still on right??

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2014, 10:10:53 AM »
I wouldn't put faith in these being available next week. Like all previous OS series, there are always stupid delays with Topps! We might not see these until November or December.

Next week sounds good to me, Nov. or Dec. is too late IMO.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2014, 11:07:52 AM »
any day sounds great!  I've always had this unique talent of being away when a pre-order sale
happens, it's a gift! 

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2014, 01:07:25 PM »
Here is the box (some spoilers for titles so I've hidden it):

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2014, 02:25:42 PM »

[spoiler][/spoiler]
That is a sharp looking BOX Dave. Well Done

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Dave, the wrappers appear to be different than past sets.  Is that just the photo or ...

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »
I don't think a midnight madness is warranted...these will stay at  the Topps store for months...unless they significantly cut swillduction...we'll see...OR
WILL THEY BE:

Don't SAY IT....................CANCELLED!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

A Midnight Madness sale is ALWAYS warranted...........Because it's FUN   :)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »
Dave, the wrappers appear to be different than past sets.  Is that just the photo or ...

The image appears to be a mock-up and they don't look like real packs so I'm not sure.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »
The last time they had a MMS (Halloween) it was a server from 1827 that was like a slug in the mud

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2014, 06:59:31 PM »
The last time they had a MMS (Halloween) it was a server from 1827 that was like a slug in the mud

That makes it Wacky!!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2014, 07:25:07 PM »
That makes it Wacky!!

A bunch of older people wearing Wacky Package Pajamas at midnight feverishly ordering cards that make them feel 8 is Wacky!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2014, 01:23:55 AM »
That is a sharp looking BOX Dave. Well Done

Yeah, love the colors.  Easy to get excited about these.  !!! 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2014, 03:12:02 AM »

So the 17th is tomorrow.  Any updates>>>>> I am anticipating a "Buy Three - Get Nothing Free" offer that I can't refuse.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2014, 06:34:10 AM »
The binder should be out in late October. No deals that I know of. If I can get a pic of some sketch cards or the tattoos I'll post them.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2014, 06:45:53 AM »
So the 17th is tomorrow.  Any updates>>>>>
just got my email

"I'm just letting you know the 5th series of Wacky Packages Old School will be available at Topps.com sometime this Wednesday, September 17th. "

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2014, 06:49:12 AM »
just got my email

"I'm just letting you know the 5th series of Wacky Packages Old School will be available at Topps.com sometime this Wednesday, September 17th. "

I also received a similar email from Dave Gross,  so for the benefit of anyone who didn't...

Hi Wacky Packages fan,

I'm just letting you know the 5th series of Wacky Packages Old School will be available at Topps.com sometime this Wednesday, September 17th.

The new series features 33 all-new stickers featuring 1970s products never used in the original series 1-16 run. Each sticker comes in tan back, white back, Ludlow or Die-Cut versions. There is a 9 piece puzzle checklist, vintage 1970s style Wacky Packages tattoos, printing plates, sketch cards and more!

The artwork was done by myself, David Gross and the series was written by me, Jay Lynch and Fred Wheaton.

Thanks
Dave
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2014, 08:14:11 AM »
The binder should be out in late October. No deals that I know of. If I can get a pic of some sketch cards or the tattoos I'll post them.

what are looking at as far as price per box?? - so no free shipping??

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2014, 09:18:58 AM »
Base Parallels:
White Back Parallel (1 per pack)
Black Ludlow Back Parallel (1:2 packs)
Die-Cut Parallel (1:2 packs)
Printing Plates (132 total)

Inserts:
Tattoos (1:2 packs)
Puzzle Checklist (1:4 packs)