Author Topic: WP Old School 5 Thread - SPOILERS  (Read 115726 times)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
Re: WP Old School 5 Thread - SPOILERS
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 10:25:46 AM »
Not sure about the Ludlows. I assume its tans and Luds again but I'm not sure. I'll try to get the info.

There are some color sketches mixed in.

thx David - I am sure its awesome!! any other artists besides yourself??

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2014, 12:15:44 PM »
Contrary to my signature showing August as the release date I was informed that it's due out in one month, in mid-September.

33 stickers
9 piece puzzle
Sketch Cards featuring 20 Wacky characters (15 OS and 5 OLDS5)
Vintage style Tattoos (18)
Printing Plates and Parallels.

Always excited to see a new Old School release and this looks to be another fun one.  

Though I must say, the inclusion of "printing plates and parallels" is a decidedly UN-OldSchool element and one I'd prefer was left to the new school releases.   This cuts against one of the key initial appeals of the Old School series offering - which was old school simplicity and focus.

While I will certainly find my way to overlooking these 2014-style inserts, I have to say that they do fly in the face of what made Old School such a well-designed product, initially.  Of course, I was a fan of the earlier Old School series sets due to the core stickers and NOT the sketches - which ended up being the driving selling point of them.  And this hobby would seem to require at least a few case-buyers to maintain itself, even with the lower print-runs of Old School.  So here come the inserts, whether they muddle up the design of the overall product or not.  

All that said, if modern-style inserts are required to keep new Old School series coming, so be it.  But I've always suspected these types of inserts are a long-term detriment to a well-designed, high-quality product.  And I do think, at its core, that is what Old School is.  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:29:19 PM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 12:33:20 PM »
Always excited to see a new Old School release and this looks to be another fun one.  

Though I must say, the inclusion of "printing plates and parallels" is a decidedly UN-OldSchool element and one I'd prefer was left to the new school releases.   This cuts against one of the key initial appeals of the Old School series offering - which was old school simplicity and focus.

While I will certainly find my way to overlooking these 2014-style inserts, I have to say that they do fly in the face of what made Old School such a well-designed product, initially.  Of course, I was a fan of the earlier Old School series sets due to the core stickers and NOT the sketches - which ended up being the driving selling point of them.  And this hobby would seem to require at least a few case-buyers to maintain itself, even with the lower print-runs of Old School.  So here come the inserts, whether they muddle up the design of the overall product or not.  

All that said, if modern-style inserts are required to keep new Old School series coming, so be it.  But I've always suspected these types of inserts are a long-term detriment to a well-designed, high-quality product.  And I do think, at its core, that is what Old School is.  

you can just sell me your parallels and printing plates, if pulled, for cheap...gladly take them off your hands... :] :] :] :]

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2014, 12:56:20 PM »
U.S. Presidolts made me pee myself!
This was not information nor a visual which I required.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »
Contrary to my signature showing August as the release date I was informed that it's due out in one month, in mid-September.

33 stickers
9 piece puzzle

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Is anyone else not seeing the image?            I see the black X when I click on it

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2014, 02:47:53 PM »

Is anyone else not seeing the image?            I see the black X when I click on it

Rob, here is the URL link it resolves to... give it a try:

http://postimg.org/image/bwe4uiglf/
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2014, 05:02:54 PM »

I agree with both your excitement at another Old School release as well as a bit of dismay with the printing plates and parallels.  I actually don't mind the printing plates as much since they are so rare.  I dislike the parallels because, as someone who likes to assemble sets, I end up with a bunch of mixed back sets which bothers the OCD part of my personality.  If the different backs (by the way, I'm assuming the parallels means different backs) were more rare, I'd have less of them and more of the common backs and it would be less irksome.  Plus, they might actually be worth selling on ebay.  Anyone else feel this way?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2014, 06:00:19 PM »

33 stickers
9 piece puzzle

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Parallels in Old School?!? You gotta be kidding! I almost had to look at the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st... So much for keeping all that BS out of OldS. Wonder if there's any bodily function stickers this series? If they're even stickers...
OK Neil, you're our only hope now. Once Postcards go parallel, it's over. Oh wait, they kinda already do, with LE vs. regular versions... Sigh.... :wtf:

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2014, 09:28:50 PM »
thx David - I am sure its awesome!! any other artists besides yourself??

Yes, a bunch of others. Not sure who though. This is the first WP OLDS series I've done sketches for since series 2.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Regarding the printing plates and parallels. Yeah, as I said I was out of the loop on the decisions this time. I pitched the vintage tattoos so I have high hopes for these (have not seen them yet). I'm hoping by parallels they meant Luds, whites and tan backs but I'm not sure. And if it is those those are already parallels so we've had them in Old School for the past two sets. Sketch cards are also not a '70s throw back and they've been in OLDS since day one so it is what it is. The good news is something else is back which I will preview next week...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:37:18 PM by slamjim »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »
Wonder if there's any bodily function stickers this series? If they're even stickers...

No, bodily fluid stickers in the entire series (and they are stickers).

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »
Regarding the printing plates and parallels. Yeah, as I said I was out of the loop on the decisions this time. I pitched the vintage tattoos so I have high hopes for these (have not seen them yet). I'm hoping by parallels they meant Luds, whites and tan backs but I'm not sure. And if it is those those are already parallels so we've had them in Old School for the past two sets. Sketch cards are also not a '70s throw back and they've been in OLDS since day one so it is what it is. The good news is something else is back which I will preview next week...

Old School tattoos are a fun, thematically-appropriate addition.  Glad you got those in. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2014, 11:06:23 AM »
I'm excited about the Old School Tattoos. Glad to see they will be included on this new series. Maybe this will motivate me to work on completing the original 1974 series.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2014, 11:35:32 AM »
When I read "Parallels", my first thought was border colors. I hope it's just the back variations...

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »

"The good news is something else is back which I will preview next week..."hmmmm...I wonder what?? LENT's :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2014, 04:02:15 PM »
Old School tattoos are a fun, thematically-appropriate addition.  Glad you got those in. 
I noticed Dave said "vintage", not Old School. Not sure what that implies, perhaps it's something a bit different
"Keep on truckin'" and the like?

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2014, 05:10:37 PM »
I noticed Dave said "vintage", not Old School. Not sure what that implies, perhaps it's something a bit different
"Keep on truckin'" and the like?

gum?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2014, 05:36:29 PM »
gum?
gum tattoos? that'd be unique. and if lick and stick, probably tasty too  ;)

guess you mean the 'something else is back'. even a gum dusting would be cool, giving everything the proper scent
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:38:24 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2014, 05:51:58 PM »
gum tattoos? that'd be unique. and if lick and stick, probably tasty too  ;)

guess you mean the 'something else is back'. even a gum dusting would be cool, giving everything the proper scent

You could use pieces of pink chalk board. It would provide the same look, consistency, taste with the added bonus of the chalk dust.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:59:58 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »
No, bodily fluid stickers in the entire series (and they are stickers).

Woo Hoo!  Not that I thought there would be, but it's nice to be confirmed. :great:

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
Good news:

The tattoos will look like the original WP '70s tattoos.

Tan backs are the base set with white, black Lud and Die-Cuts being the parallels. No different colored borders so it's all still Old School

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2014, 12:15:28 PM »
Dave, sounds great.  Any word yet if there will be a binder?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2014, 10:06:55 PM »
Good news:

Tan backs are the base set with white, black Lud and Die-Cuts being the parallels. No different colored borders so it's all still Old School

All of that sounds pretty terrific!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2014, 03:34:17 AM »
Any plans for a "Buy 3 Boxes Get a poster and Free Shipping" deal? Those deals have been offered in the past and were appreciated.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2014, 07:20:01 AM »
Any plans for a "Buy 3 Boxes Get a poster and Free Shipping" deal? Those deals have been offered in the past and were appreciated.

hear ya dude...I still have a bunch of the OLDS1 posters from that deal...need to get them framed...where did all the OLDS posters go?? thye only did them for Series 1 & 2 right? it was cool b/c you could see all the various sketches - even if you didn't pull one!! :] :] :]

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2014, 12:48:49 PM »
hear ya dude...I still have a bunch of the OLDS1 posters from that deal...need to get them framed...where did all the OLDS posters go?? thye only did them for Series 1 & 2 right? it was cool b/c you could see all the various sketches - even if you didn't pull one!! :] :] :]

Joe, I agree, let's see the return of the Old School Sketch Poster!  Those posters from Olds 1 and 2 are fantastic!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2014, 01:37:21 PM »
Good news:

Hooray! Glad they're keeping Old School old school!  :great: :great:

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »
Good news:

Glad to hear the news, especially about the Tats.  Not sure if I understand about Die-Cuts being parallels, though.  Was that something that was done before and I'm completely spacing out about it?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2014, 02:05:25 PM »
Glad to hear the news, especially about the Tats.  Not sure if I understand about Die-Cuts being parallels, though.  Was that something that was done before and I'm completely spacing out about it?

No, we never had dis-cuts in OLDS before so that is another parallel sticker form

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2014, 02:08:43 PM »
Beer is Back!

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
 :great:

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »
Beer is Back!

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Love it! 

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2014, 06:08:44 AM »
Dave, sounds great.  Any word yet if there will be a binder?

Yes, there will be a new binder but it will be after the release.

I don't believe there will be a pre-sale this time.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:53:30 AM by slamjim »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2014, 08:00:52 AM »
Beer is Back!

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

awesome work, Dave!  The details are incredible!

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2014, 09:59:42 AM »
Yes, there will be a new binder but it will be after the release.

I don't believe there will be a pre-sale this time.

around the same price for a box as last time?? $40-50 ??

anything