Author Topic: WP Old School 5 Thread - SPOILERS  (Read 115639 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
WP Old School 5 Thread - SPOILERS
« on: June 04, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »
Hey, Thought I'd start a thread for the new OLDS5 series. I will post info and images here as I am allowed. This will have spoilers but I will hide them if someone explains to me how.

Last I heard it will be a August release. The only sticker so far shown is Mess Truck which was the mini sticker for series 4.

I know there will be sketch cards (I did some this time), white, tan and ludlow backs again. The rest I can't say at this time. I do not know if there will be a pre-order or not. Myself, Jay and Fred wrote or designed the stickers. I painted them all. 33 in the set.

No poop, fart, pee or puke gags!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:50:13 PM by RawGoo »

Offline 70s_Kid

Re: WP Old School 5 Thread - SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 05:55:44 PM »
Jay as in Jay Lynch? :0012398: :0012398:

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »
Thanks for the image and the info. Looking forward to a bowel movement free Nostalgic Wacky Release   ;)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 07:55:14 PM »
Hey, Thought I'd start a thread for the new OLDS5 series. I will post info and images here as I am allowed. This will have spoilers but I will hide them if someone explains to me how.

Last I heard it will be a August release. The only sticker so far shown is Mess Truck which was the mini sticker for series 4.

I know there will be sketch cards (I did some this time), white, tan and ludlow backs again. The rest I can't say at this time. I do not know if there will be a pre-order or not. Myself, Jay and Fred wrote or designed the stickers. I painted them all. 33 in the set.

Great news all the way around (though I could live either without the various backs or perhaps making two of the back types much more rare than currently done).  OLDS is the closest thing we have to being back in the 70's again.  That is until OLDS brings us into the 80's...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 08:15:56 PM »
Now this gets me fired up! I love the artwork of Mess even though I don't know the gag. Knowing this just pushed me past Chrome. One extra month and real Wacky goodness.
Who are the sketch artist this round?

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 09:04:41 PM »
Now this gets me fired up! I love the artwork of Mess even though I don't know the gag. Knowing this just pushed me past Chrome. One extra month and real Wacky goodness.

Mess is a gag on Hess gas trucks. You never had a Hess truck??? Really?? Those are wildly popular. They made them when i was a kid, and they still make them today. They've had a much longer run than Wackys.

Jim

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »

That is a super awesome painting. Thanks for posting a nice large image so we can totally appreciate it.

To use the spoiler function, after you upload the image to the text box, where you write your post, highlight the image link address and then click the square Spoiler button above the smiley faces

- >            

(You can click Preview button under the box before you post if to see if it worked)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:06:19 PM by Jean Nutty »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 02:59:05 AM »

I can't bear to hear this news "pushed you past Chrome" . That is an insult to vast number of Chromies who frequent this board.    ;)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 04:55:30 AM »
Mess is a gag on Hess gas trucks. You never had a Hess truck??? Really?? Those are wildly popular. They made them when i was a kid, and they still make them today. They've had a much longer run than Wackys.

Jim

I think the issue here is that Hess gasoline, like other products, might have a history of being regional and not necessarily have locations sprinkled across the entire country.  We now have several in the NYC area but I know growing up we never did.  I used to see the commercials at Christmastime advertising the trucks but there were no Hess stations around so I had nowhere to go with that as far as a Santa's wish list.  Had my hands full with Matchbox cars, Tonka trucks, Legos and whatnot anyway, so I didn't really pine for them.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 07:48:04 AM »

===================

IS THAT AUGUST DATE FIRM??  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline dth1971

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 06:40:29 PM »
And you promised one of the Old School 5 entries will be based one of the late Gary Browning's (Head and Boulders) Wacky Package homemade drawings in memory of him. (I'm still betting it's the Dolly Madison Zingers spoof Stingers!)

Offline barfwimpson

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 06:55:49 PM »

I did all four of those things simultaneously when the man himself gave a target date for Series 5. 
I loved the previous 4 sets (each the same like one does their children or cats, or children's cats), and was anxiously awaiting the next set.
And now it's there, on the horizon.
Thanks for the great news, David!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 08:37:25 PM »
And you promised one of the Old School 5 entries will be based one of the late Gary Browning's (Head and Boulders) Wacky Package homemade drawings in memory of him. (I'm still betting it's the Dolly Madison Zingers spoof Stingers!)

No, I did not promise that. I said I would try. There is not one in the set. I, unfortunately, do not have the say I had in the previous sets so I'm not really in the loop with the content this time. I've got my fingers crossed as much as everyone as to how it's handled. Hope it's set up like the previous sets.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 10:47:39 PM »
Great news, Dave! 

So great to have this series continue on and hit Series 5!  I'd never have thought we'd see a series of Wackys return to the 1970's and make it to (what is it now?) over 150 all-new pieces of art! 

I understand people get excited about the sketches and bonuses, and it's understandable, but when you consider all of the new classically-styled 70's product Wacky Package stickers we have been getting?  It's amazing. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 03:23:08 AM »

Don't you mean 'colored' sketch cards??  :] will they also have a binder??

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 09:48:29 PM »
Amazing artwork as always, Dave. Heck, this gets me excited again about Wackys!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 05:03:59 AM »
No, I did not promise that. I said I would try. There is not one in the set. I, unfortunately, do not have the say I had in the previous sets so I'm not really in the loop with the content this time. I've got my fingers crossed as much as everyone as to how it's handled. Hope it's set up like the previous sets.

Dave,

Even though you are "not in the loop" this time around; could you please inquire as to when/ if there will be on-line pre-orders for this release?

Part of the fun of previous Old School releases was the "Pre order three boxes/ Get free shipping/ free poster deal"  That promotion helped to drive pre-sales of the boxes and gave collectors a reason to buy multiple boxes. With the waning enthusiasm for sketches; a pre-sale promotion might be in order.  Topps has been less interested in briefing adult collectors as of late and they may at least address the question if it comes from you on our behalf.

Thanks,  Andrew

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 07:30:11 PM »
I'll try to get any info I can before this week ends. Maybe they will let me post an image as well

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 11:04:43 AM »
Great detail! Looking forward to the next set.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 12:38:07 PM »
I'll try to get any info I can before this week ends. Maybe they will let me post an image as well

Dave. Any news?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
I asked and they felt it was too early to release any info or images. I'll get you stuff when I can.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 02:02:47 AM »
I asked and they felt it was too early to release any info or images. I'll get you stuff when I can.

It is strange that Topps is already pre-selling WP 2014 Series 1 which arrives in November ; yet it is too soon to release any info on OS5 which arrives in August.  Do I have  the release month info wrong here for OS5?

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »
It is strange that Topps is already pre-selling WP 2014 Series 1 which arrives in November ; yet it is too soon to release any info on OS5 which arrives in August.  Do I have  the release month info wrong here for OS5?
My understanding is Old School 5 is coming in September. That info us from Non-Sport Update magazine.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 12:06:32 AM »
It is strange that Topps is already pre-selling WP 2014 Series 1 which arrives in November ; yet it is too soon to release any info on OS5 which arrives in August.

I would think that the promotional strategy for the two series are different because of how they are distributed. Since Topps sells Old School directly to customers without middlemen there is little value in putting information out very far in advance. The promo material for 2014 Series 1 is designed to inform distributors and retailers about the product so they can make buying decisions well ahead of the release.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »

I don't recall seeing that Topps is pre-selling the 2014 series.  Do you have any further info on that?  Perhaps I just missed it.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »
I don't recall seeing that Topps is pre-selling the 2014 series.  Do you have any further info on that?  Perhaps I just missed it.
info on Series 1 http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=3365.msg67683#msg67683

sales at Blowout http://www.blowoutcards.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_104&products_id=9406
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:50:48 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 09:29:40 PM »
info on Series 1 http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=3365.msg67683#msg67683

sales at Blowout http://www.blowoutcards.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_104&products_id=9406

Thanks for the info!  I thought that Topps itself was doing some kind of pre-sale based on the previous post.  I definitely won't be pre-ordering at this point, but perhaps as we get closer to the series release date.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 03:21:52 AM »
Thanks for the info!  I thought that Topps itself was doing some kind of pre-sale based on the previous post.  I definitely won't be pre-ordering at this point, but perhaps as we get closer to the series release date.

I have two boxes on order more due to having some funds now and not sure I will have funds available in the fall. My 18 year old son is starting college in Sept.  ;)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 01:29:42 PM »
Contrary to my signature showing August as the release date I was informed that it's due out in one month, in mid-September.

33 tan back stickers
9 piece puzzle
Sketch Cards featuring 20 Wacky characters (15 OS and 5 OLDS5)
Vintage style Tattoos (18)
Printing Plates
Parallel White, Black Lud and Die-Cut backs

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:02:11 PM by slamjim »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »
Contrary to my signature showing August as the release date I was informed that it's due out in one month, in mid-September.

33 stickers
9 piece puzzle
Printing Plates and Parallels.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Thanks for the update.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »

33 stickers
9 piece puzzle

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Thanks for the update!  Love the preview image and the details (well, other than the parallels, which I'm not too keen on).  I think the tats will be interesting.  Looking forward to it!

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 05:36:33 PM »

33 stickers
9 piece puzzle

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Thanks for the update, Mr. Gross! U.S. Presidolts made me pee myself! ;D

Pauly

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 05:35:55 AM »

33 stickers
9 piece puzzle

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

ludlow backs? color sketches - heck make them ALL Color...redemption cards?

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 08:34:33 AM »

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Teddy reminds me of the Mayor of Southtown....must be the eyes and the mustache!

Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 09:27:10 AM »
ludlow backs? color sketches - heck make them ALL Color...redemption cards?

Not sure about the Ludlows. I assume its tans and Luds again but I'm not sure. I'll try to get the info.

There are some color sketches mixed in.

anything