Author Topic: 1979 - 1980 Reissues  (Read 17744 times)

Offline Lavirus

Re: 1979 - 1980 Reissues
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 07:19:52 PM »
Ah, the good old days when we had KayBee and McCrory's across from each other in the mall.  I remember seeing boxes of Star Trek movie card packs on the shelf next to Reissue Wackys.  Tough choice!

McCrory's is where I found the 15th series after having lost track of Wackys during the 11th series. Not sure how I stopped collecting initially - we moved to Florida but there was a 7-11 down the street from me. It wasn't until we moved back up north that I found them again.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 11:26:55 PM »
McCrory's is where I found the 15th series after having lost track of Wackys during the 11th series. Not sure how I stopped collecting initially - we moved to Florida but there was a 7-11 down the street from me. It wasn't until we moved back up north that I found them again.

They used to have huge bins of Fun Paks bags, too.

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »
Something else I wanted to mention......if anyone runs across a white back reissue.......I would be interested in that also. I have about 7 authentic white backs now.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2015, 05:02:27 PM »
Bump......

Still looking for any loose white backs that may be floating around. Heck any cool reissue item for that matter. Shake the dust off of your collections people... has the hobby really cooled off since I left or is it an off time of year?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2015, 07:09:23 PM »
Do you consider the '79 test pack a re-issue item? Just curious.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2015, 07:32:18 PM »
Do you consider the '79 test pack a re-issue item? Just curious.
Since there are really no other items in the core 79-80 reissue run to collect for me, yes. I have expanded my desires to the 5th series unpublished items and the 79 test set. I would love to have some of the items from the test set. I do not want to build an entire sticker set but a sticker or two, wrapper or pack would be nice.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
Since there are really no other items in the core 79-80 reissue run to collect for me, yes. I have expanded my desires to the 5th series unpublished items and the 79 test set. I would love to have some of the items from the test set. I do not want to build an entire sticker set but a sticker or two, wrapper or pack would be nice.

I decided that it would be a practically impossible endeavor to go after the whole set.  So, I have just one example sticker and a wrapper.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2015, 08:45:02 PM »
I've been reflecting lately on how the availability of packs (and rare vintage items in general) has decreased in the last decade. There was a time when if you wanted a test pack, Greg or Matt or someone would have one if the price was right. It's over, totally dried up. Good luck to a new collector trying to put together a basic 1-16 unopened pack run. It makes me sad, but the hobby as I see it is in a decline, and it will never be the same. It was a good run, and I'll keep plugging away, but the glory days are gone. 😕

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2015, 04:02:37 AM »
I've been reflecting lately on how the availability of packs (and rare vintage items in general) has decreased in the last decade. There was a time when if you wanted a test pack, Greg or Matt or someone would have one if the price was right. It's over, totally dried up. Good luck to a new collector trying to put together a basic 1-16 unopened pack run. It makes me sad, but the hobby as I see it is in a decline, and it will never be the same. It was a good run, and I'll keep plugging away, but the glory days are gone. 😕

I've been buying vintage items, but they don't turn up much unless someone starts selling off their collection.  Even then, you've got to be first if you're looking for something like a Ratz or a test pack.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2015, 07:03:53 AM »
You have confirmed what I have been feeling also. The hobby definitely feels different. That being said, there are still many good people here and we can keep the spirit alive by continuing to trade or sell and having good conversations.

Is Kirk D. still around? I used to have his phone number and email address but a lot has happened lately and I'm 3 cell phones and 2 computers later.....some of my contacts have been lost.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2015, 07:36:42 AM »
I was careful to say "the hobby as I see it." If people here are into ANS binders and chrome superfractors more power to them, but I am talking about the vintage hobby. There is still a good market for high grade PSA stuff when it surfaces. I'm sure if vintage full boxes and packs showed up on eBay regularly, folks would be interested.  But I fear that as vintage items dry up fewer people will want to collect them. If I was starting to collect packs today, I could expect to acquire series 6-10,12,14 and 15 pretty readily. But when do series 1-5 packs show up anymore? 10 years ago that was completely different. When does a 1st tan set appear? From 2000-2004 stuff like this showed up routinely. I don't know if ANS had something to do with it or not but things have radically changed.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2015, 08:58:16 AM »
You make some good points and my collective mind is in the same wheel house. ANS if fun to a degree for me but my heart is in the vintage arena and recognizing the current state of that sector of the hobby, it makes me somewhat grateful that my personal interests are contained within the 79-80 reissues. That will limit my "frustrations" of not being able to find items I really want. Its a two edged sword however because that also means I'm about done lol.

The other side of the collective coin is missing the great conversations and picture filled posts! The excitement and back and forth banter lol. It surely feel different.

P.S.......Hey.......Plastered Peanut......are you still holding the last great conquest to my reissue collection?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2015, 01:33:28 PM »
I was careful to say "the hobby as I see it." If people here are into ANS binders and chrome superfractors more power to them, but I am talking about the vintage hobby. There is still a good market for high grade PSA stuff when it surfaces. I'm sure if vintage full boxes and packs showed up on eBay regularly, folks would be interested.  But I fear that as vintage items dry up fewer people will want to collect them. If I was starting to collect packs today, I could expect to acquire series 6-10,12,14 and 15 pretty readily. But when do series 1-5 packs show up anymore? 10 years ago that was completely different. When does a 1st tan set appear? From 2000-2004 stuff like this showed up routinely. I don't know if ANS had something to do with it or not but things have radically changed.

In my case, you're right that the dearth of available items discourages me from even starting on something like vintage packs.  There's also all the warnings about fakes and reseals.  And with die-cuts, there was recently the Ratz that looked like it was in a Weakies border.

I recently hit the brick wall of die-cuts, the "big three."  So, while I can try to upgrade what I've already acquired, I don't think I have a chance to complete the set, which diminishes my enthusiasm for starting on another impossible quest.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 01:44:53 PM by RawGoo »