Author Topic: 1979 - 1980 Reissues  (Read 17743 times)

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
1979 - 1980 Reissues
« on: May 29, 2014, 07:40:41 PM »
How about a dedicated thread for the greatest segment of the Wacky Packages hobby.....the 1979 -1980 Reissues. :)

Im not even sure there is anyone else besides me in the hobby that even has an interest in these but its all I collect and I wanted to share. I received an interesting package today. A very nice set of reissues and at a good price. Upon inspection I noticed that there is not a single sticker with a gum stain or wax residue on it. None. This is highly unusual in my experience. I currently have many sets and I have never seen an entire set of 264 stickers with no gum stains or wax residue what so ever. Upon checking a little closer I also think that they are possibly not cut all the same. There is just enough difference in some of the stickers that they will not fit well into the plastic 50 card two piece boxes I like to use. They fit but I can tell they are pressed against the side much more firmly than the others.

I have seen several stickers and sets from the 1st series like this and I figured they were cut up for some of the many known uncut series 1 sheets that made it out of the factory but I have not seen the 2,3 and 4th series sets like this before. Im going to check my other sets this weekend to confirm that I have no others like this.

Offline chipereno

Re: 1979 - 1980 Reissues
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 08:08:31 PM »
How about a quick Issue trivia Question:

How many extra snow balls do you get in a box of Frosted Ice Krunkles?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:14:39 PM »
I know almost nothing about the "reissues" story - can someone give a  brief overview? What series were reissued, and why? Do people collect reissues because these are the Wackys they collected as a kid? Have always wondered about them. Did reissues have special pack colors, or were the packs the same as the originals?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:30:03 PM by Jean Nutty »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 03:18:08 AM »
I know almost nothing about the "reissues" story - can someone give a  brief overview? What series were reissued, and why? Do people collect reissues because these are the Wackys they collected as a kid? Have always wondered about them. Did reissues have special pack colors, or were the packs the same as the originals?

I did not buy these as I was not collecting anymore when they came out. I like the fact that there put one new title in the mix of 264 cards. Kind of like a chase card. Was Frosted Ice Krunkles hard to find and highly sought after when the reissue came out? I know there were four releases. Which one had that card?

Andrew

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 03:48:02 AM »
How about a quick Issue trivia Question:

How many extra snow balls do you get in a box of Frosted Ice Krunkles?

Pfffftt.......lol.................3 !!!!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 03:51:24 AM »

All-Brain can certainly provide more info, but as a brief description, in 1979 and into 1980, Topps produced 4 sets of 66 Wackys using titles from the original series 1-16.  There was only one new title, Frosted Ice Krunkles (in series 4).  A thicker card stock was used, and the backs had puzzle pieces and/or checklists.  Another difference from the original series is that the cards were numbered; they go across the four series, from 1-264.

In general, earlier OS titles are in the lower numbers, and the later titles are in the higher numbers.  I bought these when they first came out, and Reissue series 4 was a real treat, as I had never seen OS 16, and there were a bunch of new Wackys for me to see!  And, for years, a reissue of Dynamites filled the (very annoying!) hole in the pages of my OS 15 set.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 04:05:50 AM »

I first discovered Wacky Packages in 1979 during the reissue release. While it was late in the game compared to most others on the forum here, it has still permeated my collective Wacky Soul and they hold a very special place in my heart just as the original series stickers do for others. As a matter of fact I knew nothing of the original series sets until after I got involved in the forums in 2004 or so. So yes, you are correct, I collect them simply because they were what I had when I was a kid. I remember as I collected the series 1 set and seeing the numbers at the bottom 1 of 66, and so on.......I thought wow they are only making 66 stickers. I had wished for more. Then one day I see a purple "series 2" box and they were numbered 67 of 132 and so on. Series 3 was 133 of 198 and so on then series 4 started with 199 of 264. I remember waiting for that 5th series box to show up and it never came lol. 

Offline drono

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 05:00:33 AM »
I've never really had any interest in them because I too was beyond my collecting years when they came out.  I don't even remember seeing them in stores.  I bought mine and their OPC counterparts as complete sets, unopened packs, and a few full boxes 3-4 years later.  I did recently get the last two of the four uncut sheets.  They are nice to display and are much cheaper than OS uncut sheets.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 07:04:05 AM »
I first discovered Wacky Packages in 1979 during the reissue release. While it was late in the game compared to most others on the forum here, it has still permeated my collective Wacky Soul and they hold a very special place in my heart just as the original series stickers do for others. As a matter of fact I knew nothing of the original series sets until after I got involved in the forums in 2004 or so. So yes, you are correct, I collect them simply because they were what I had when I was a kid. I remember as I collected the series 1 set and seeing the numbers at the bottom 1 of 66, and so on.......I thought wow they are only making 66 stickers. I had wished for more. Then one day I see a purple "series 2" box and they were numbered 67 of 132 and so on. Series 3 was 133 of 198 and so on then series 4 started with 199 of 264. I remember waiting for that 5th series box to show up and it never came lol. 

I did collect these - though my heart lies in the original series...I was lucky to collect the later series,,,10,11,12,13, - never saw 16th...but it was later confirmed via Topps Vault that they intended to have a 5th Series - as the puzzle showed up in an auction...but it never materialized...I'll see if I can get a picture of that checklist...I bid on it but lost...

still cool Wacky's even if they are re-prints...the full boxes still keep their value...

Offline Paul_Maul

Offline chipereno

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »
Next Question:
How many wrappers are on a fully loaded roll.
(clicking on image might help)

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 05:12:53 PM »
http://www.lostwackys.com/Lost-Wackys/1980--5th-series.htm

Oh my...I have wanted the checklist and the Sneer puzzle for so long. Sneer is on Ebay now but way to rich for my blood. I remember bidding on the checklist when it came up for auction but as usual I could only afford to go so high and lost out. I knew someone on the forum who had one and tried to trade for it but could not get it done. There are only 5 or 6 things on my wish list these days but they are the pricey things lol.

I had forgotten about Rustys site , thank you for posting that link !

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 05:13:37 PM »
Next Question:
How many wrappers are on a fully loaded roll.
(clicking on image might help)

For being a friend.......Im not sure why you torment me like this. Im working on it MANO.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 07:05:08 PM »
I know 4 series of the reissues (66 cards each, 264 stickers total in the 4 reissue series combined) were made, but a 5th. reissue series was planned for 1981 release but never made it (and would have included for the puzzle backs a non Topps product spoof)?

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 07:17:27 PM »
I remember bidding on the checklist when it came up for auction but as usual I could only afford to go so high and lost out. I knew someone on the forum who had one and tried to trade for it but could not get it done.

I haven't forgotten, Jeff, your interest in this item and I still have it.  I'm not looking to sell or trade it, but would consider an offer.

Hope you're doing well!  Nice to see your affection for the reissues is still strong!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 11:11:43 PM »
Oh my...I have wanted the checklist and the Sneer puzzle for so long. Sneer is on Ebay now but way to rich for my blood. I remember bidding on the checklist when it came up for auction but as usual I could only afford to go so high and lost out. I knew someone on the forum who had one and tried to trade for it but could not get it done. There are only 5 or 6 things on my wish list these days but they are the pricey things lol.

I had forgotten about Rustys site , thank you for posting that link !

I can't find the Sneer puzzle auction, but would like to check it out.  I have 7 of the 9 puzzle pieces, and really want to complete it.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 06:53:25 AM »
I can't find the Sneer puzzle auction, but would like to check it out.  I have 7 of the 9 puzzle pieces, and really want to complete it.
how do you have 7 of 9 pieces?

this auction? eBay auction: #110560195795
for the paste up art of the entire 3 puzzle strip
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:18:02 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Kook

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 08:45:16 AM »

this auction? eBay auction: # 110560195795
(Image removed from quote.)

When I click on the link, it brings me to a removed listing.

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
When I click on the link, it brings me to a removed listing.
fixed!
attack of the unwanted blank space strikes again

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 11:03:11 AM »
I know 4 series of the reissues (66 cards each, 264 stickers total in the 4 reissue series combined) were made, but a 5th. reissue series was planned for 1981 release but never made it (and would have included for the puzzle backs a non Topps product spoof)?

I always found it interesting that Topps mothballed the 5th reissue set in spring 1981, yet they issued the album sticker set the very next year.  Maybe the craze of the 1981 baseball album stickers caused them to re-think their strategy.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 11:59:16 AM »
I turned six in Feb of 1974, so I was fairly young for the Original 16. I didn't know of the theory of "Collect 'em all". I didn't really understand the concept of individual series. I just bought stuff on whims...Six Million Dollar Man, Odd Rods, Wacky Packs, Marvel Superhero Stickers, Planet of the Apes, Creature Features and such. But I had WP fever in 1974 and 75 and got various stickers from the 4th through the 9th series. Mainly the 4th through 7th series. I also got the tattoos at the time thinking they were pretty cool (plus I remember thinking that the gum was better in the tattoos than in the stickers).  I just bought them as I found them in stores.  The first real set I put together was the 1976 Superhero Stickers. I even thought to save the wrappers. Then came Star Wars in 1977 and trading cards became a serious obsession. That was when it all clicked and I realised that there could be multiple series released for a title. I put together that first Star Wars series and never looked back.

Which brings me to the summer of 1979, when I was 11. I was in Tallahassee for a month, visiting my grandparents. I had been there a week, when we went to the mall and I found the 1st reissue series. I believe it was in a Walgreen's. My mind reeled, as I had not seen WPs since early 1975. I bought 10 packs. I took them home, opened them and discovered that there were titles I recognised. Alot were new to me, but many were ones from back in the day. I didn't know it was a reissue set. I didn't know there was such a thing. A week later we went to the mall again and I bought 15 packs. I had been saving chore money and the money that grandparents will slip to you, just because. I'd have bought more, but I didn't want to blow all my money, in case I found other cool stuff. Back in the day, you could go to another town and find all new stuff that would never show up in your usual haunts. Now days, Target and WalMart all carry the same thing no matter where you go.

By this point, I had an almost complete set of 66 stickers, sure there were a bunch of duplicates, but I really was only about 15  stickers away from completing the set. About 3 days later, I was able to comvince gramdma to stop at the mall and I again invested in a bunch of packs. Now I was 2 stickers away from a full set. A few more days go by and we hit the mall again, I got a bunch more packs and was able to finish the set. WHOO HOO!!!! I had done it in about 2-3 weeks. Back in the day, it would take me months to complete a series. I was at the mercy of how much money I had and where my folks were driving to. Special trips to buy stickers were out of the question. To this day, that is the fastest I have put a set together in the wild. Buying a set off ebay or buying a whole box from Target is just not the same. It feels like cheating. I bought and put that series together the way a kid should put it together.

That set was really special as it reconnected me to Wacky Packs. I looked at that set over and over again.  For me, it was something really special and I was proud to have it. I went home after a month with a whole set of stickers and other goodies that I found (KISS posters, comics, other cards, etc.). I looked for awhile when I returned home, but never saw any other Wackys on store shelves. I thought that one series was it. I never knew that there were 3 more reissue sets released, until around 2005, when I found Rusty's Lost Wacky site and read about them (and the aborted 5th reissue set for 1981). I have since gotten those sets too and enjoyed them as well. But, nothing will compare to the thrill of finding and collecting that first reissue set.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 12:10:35 PM by NEZHEAD42 »
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 02:56:30 PM »
Wow what a wonderful story! That's what its all about, well done my friend. I read through it twice and it felt like I was there!!

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 02:58:28 PM »
I haven't forgotten, Jeff, your interest in this item and I still have it.  I'm not looking to sell or trade it, but would consider an offer.

Hope you're doing well!  Nice to see your affection for the reissues is still strong!

Oh my goodness! that would be wonderful to have at even one checklist from the series 5 set. Hmmm... I have no idea what your in it or what it would take to get it. I will PM you but Im sure I will not have enough to pry it from you lol...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »

this auction? eBay auction: #110560195795
(Image removed from quote.)

I bought a couple of card boxes of mixed non-sports stuff, and when I sorted it, I had 7 pieces of the Sneer puzzle, which I didn't even know existed.  I figure since it's fan produced people generally got the nine pieces as a complete set, and finding the two singles I need is unlikely.  I'd gladly buy a complete set and then sell single pieces to forum members who'd like to have a piece as an example.  Alas, I never see either single pieces or the complete puzzle for sale.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 06:25:06 PM »
I bought a couple of card boxes of mixed non-sports stuff, and when I sorted it, I had 7 pieces of the Sneer puzzle, which I didn't even know existed.  I figure since it's fan produced people generally got the nine pieces as a complete set, and finding the two singles I need is unlikely.  I'd gladly buy a complete set and then sell single pieces to forum members who'd like to have a piece as an example.  Alas, I never see either single pieces or the complete puzzle for sale.

Yes I think I have the 9 card "fan produced" version your talking about but what Im after is the real thing. I think its was a Topps Vault item when I saw the one checklist on Ebay. I think I got my 9 card puzzle from Rusty but cant recall for sure.

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 08:22:02 PM »
Yes I think I have the 9 card "fan produced" version your talking about but what Im after is the real thing. I think its was a Topps Vault item when I saw the one checklist on Ebay. I think I got my 9 card puzzle from Rusty but cant recall for sure.
The only puzzle I ever saw from topps vault is the one I linked to above. Both the checklists and puzzle were just black and white production items. No color. Those were all fan produced.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 08:43:38 PM »
Wow what a wonderful story! That's what its all about, well done my friend. I read through it twice and it felt like I was there!!
(As I blush) Thanks.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
(As I blush) Thanks.

Aye, those are the cool stories that always take me back to the high of collecting!  :great:

My last vintage Wacky from the wild were 14th series (I remember Fanatical and Sickly Fiction was such a funky sticker!), and then at some point I picked up a few packs of the 1st reissue series, without really knowing what they were. I thought they were odd because they weren't "my Wackys" (with the softer backs), and there was no separate checklist. I put them in a drawer (I still have them) without sticking them on my door and would see them every so often and always wonder what the heck they were.

Once I got back into collecting I had to get all four sets (never knew about the 5th until just now!), although at first I thought the 3rd set I bough was defective due to the odd printing of it (how that ever got out of the factory still amazes me).

At first I didn't really like the reissues as they were "different" from my vintage Wackys, but after a while I appreciated them for their differences. One thing I liked was the fact that they would fit into the 9-page binder sheets without bending!

I ended up taking them out and putting them in the sheets in an interesting order - I did this with my ANS sets too: I basically built the puzzles with the cards in lowest possible order first so you could look at the stickers on one side and as you flipped through the pages you'd see the puzzles on the other - sweet! Works great with ANS too.

Besides the oddly colored 3rd series, and the Ice Krunkles sticker in the 4th, don't forget the two different versions of Heavy Trash Bags (which I had to get when I found out about them): http://www.wackypackages.org/stickers/3rd_80_rerun_topps/heavy_variation.jpg

Same appreciation-after-the-fact happened for me with the 82 and 86 album series: I really enjoyed opening packs of these and putting together sets "fresh" from unopened packs. I then picked out the best of each sticker to make my own graded sets including the variations. The art is really nice on these stickers as it is very clearly printed even though smaller.

Ah, the days of truly enjoying Wackys! Thanks for reminding me, guys!  :] :great:

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 07:37:26 AM »
Here's my reissue story.  I was 5 during the summer of '74 when I first became aware of the Wacky craze, as my teenaged sisters were buying them.  The 7th series was the first one I remember seeing.  Each week during grocery shopping trips, my mom would take me to the stationery store in the same strip mall and buy me a pack or two (depending on how behaved I was).  I remember the shop owner would sometimes throw in a free extra pack for me, which was always a delightful thrill. 

The first sticker I ever saw in a pack I opened was Hurtz Baked Bears.  I would slap them all over my door - the ones I remember displaying prominently were L'Oggs, Feetena (hence my board name), Gurgles Barely Cereal, Top Slob, Hag & Hag (I struggled to understand what product that was parodying), Hardly Wrap, Fibby's, and My-T-Fink (a personal favorite because it was creepy and grossed me out so much).  I was really into them - my mom even bought me a Rice-A-Phony ringer T-shirt which I have a photo of me wearing!

Anyway, I remember being interested in them through about series 9, and then for some reason stopped.  I don't recall being sick of them or anything, perhaps it was just the overall waning of the Wacky craze across America.  Never really gave much thought about them for awhile after that.

Then about 3-4 years later (1978-79) I was in the 4th grade and my teacher had this large storage closet in his classroom where he kept school supplies.  One oddball item he had in there was a large white acrylic board that was covered with original series Wackys...I thought it was just about the coolest thing ever and occasionally would just stare at all the stickers and read the gags.  This made me fondly recall my brief Wacky collecting experience and wished one day they would come back.  I remember my teacher saying that they stopped making them because "companies were mad that their products were being made fun of" - his words, not mine.

Then several months later, in the fall of 1979, I just happened to notice that there was a display box of Series 2 reissue Wackys at the same stationery store I would go to with my mom as a kid.  I thought I was dreaming....are Wackys really back?  I remember being beyond excitement and bought up about 10 packs.  When I opened them, it seemed like I was in heaven, especially when I recognized some of the original series Wackys and I felt like I could collect all those various early series stickers I missed out on as a much younger kid (at this point, I really had no idea how many original series there were, I just assumed they stopped producing them around 1975).

The only unfortunate thing was that somehow I totally missed the 1st reissue series which sort of bummed me out.  Fortunately, and what seemed miraculous at the time, there must have been some oversupply of series 1 and I found a local pharmacy which had all these Series 1 packs left over.  I was able to complete all but four stickers from Series 1 even though Series 2 was already released.  I continued to collect the remaining reissue series and am still waiting for the 5th reissue set that never was released in the summer of 1981.  :D

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 05:22:09 PM »
Porkie and Feetena......great stories! Thanks for sharing. I so enjoy hearing about everyone's reissue experiences as a kid...its awesome!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2014, 05:56:48 PM »
I wrote this in another topic in March of 2012, I figured i would dredge it up to "re-share"

"I never had a chance to ride my bike for wackys. Once or twice a week my mom would take us to the small meat market, there lay the golden box filled with packs for greedy little hands. My sister would occasionally buy a pack for the gum. She would use her 5 pennys at the bubble gum machine, while i would spend it all for 1 pack. Later that day, all the gum would be gone, but i would still have my 2 stickers. Gum is great, stickers are better. The new stickers would go into the pile (my keeper set) all doubles would be stuck! My school had MANY white Wacky silhouettes where the sticker was peeled from a wall/door/bumper...Guilty! 

OK, i lied...while writing this i remembered i DID ride my bike for wackys...not OS though. It was for 79 reissues. Wow, a forgotten memory, dislodged.  It was only a few times, 4-5 miles round trip. To the Mid-Way shopping center drug store. I remember there was a box of 3rd series reissues near the counter. After 2 or 3 trips the box was empty, it was never refilled and i never saw 1,2 or 4 in stores anywhere. Funny, i lived only a few miles from where Wackys were being MADE (Duryea, PA) and they were SO hard to find. Lots of friends parents worked at the Topps plant. I remember a friends garage filled with cases of Topps products...cases of Wackys included! "

Jim

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
I wrote this in another topic in March of 2012, I figured i would dredge it up to "re-share"

"I never had a chance to ride my bike for wackys. Once or twice a week my mom would take us to the small meat market, there lay the golden box filled with packs for greedy little hands. My sister would occasionally buy a pack for the gum. She would use her 5 pennys at the bubble gum machine, while i would spend it all for 1 pack. Later that day, all the gum would be gone, but i would still have my 2 stickers. Gum is great, stickers are better. The new stickers would go into the pile (my keeper set) all doubles would be stuck! My school had MANY white Wacky silhouettes where the sticker was peeled from a wall/door/bumper...Guilty! 

OK, i lied...while writing this i remembered i DID ride my bike for wackys...not OS though. It was for 79 reissues. Wow, a forgotten memory, dislodged.  It was only a few times, 4-5 miles round trip. To the Mid-Way shopping center drug store. I remember there was a box of 3rd series reissues near the counter. After 2 or 3 trips the box was empty, it was never refilled and i never saw 1,2 or 4 in stores anywhere. Funny, i lived only a few miles from where Wackys were being MADE (Duryea, PA) and they were SO hard to find. Lots of friends parents worked at the Topps plant. I remember a friends garage filled with cases of Topps products...cases of Wackys included! "

Jim

Awesome!! This is just what I need as I am out of town visiting the In-Laws....and a little bored !!  Thank you for sharing! This thread is realy taking form. Im loving it. It seems there are more "Reissue" guys in the group than I had thought.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 08:30:38 AM »
The reissues ROCK!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 08:43:32 PM »
I bought reissue series 1 and 2. As much as I worship the original series, I was 6-8 years old when I bought series 1-7, and 12-13 when I bought the reissues, so I remember the experience a lot more clearly and was still very into wackys, though I had been whisked away by BB cards from '74-79.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 03:31:49 AM »
I bought reissue series 1 and 2. As much as I worship the original series, I was 6-8 years old when I bought series 1-7, and 12-13 when I bought the reissues, so I remember the experience a lot more clearly and was still very into wackys, though I had been whisked away by BB cards from '74-79.

Ah, the good old days when we had KayBee and McCrory's across from each other in the mall.  I remember seeing boxes of Star Trek movie card packs on the shelf next to Reissue Wackys.  Tough choice!

anything