Author Topic: Upright Card Binder Storage: Good or Bad?  (Read 7782 times)

Offline DrDeal

Upright Card Binder Storage: Good or Bad?
« on: May 18, 2014, 03:14:32 PM »
Please advise on the issues regarding storing Wackies in 9 Pocket Sleeves in Binders placed upright on shelves. I store my cards this way and realize that there may be some warping of the bottom part of the 9 pocket sleeve over time. What do others here do? I have seen some pics of binders stored lying flat, sometimes in racks made for this purpose. Is that the standard procedure? Please advise.

Andrew

Offline Campy

• work in progress
Re: Upright Card Binder Storage: Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 05:04:40 PM »

Good ? I store some of my cards the same way and have wondered if laying them down might be a better option.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 08:17:15 PM »
I have had too many cards warp in binders.  I store all cards in semi rigid sleeves, then in boxes. 

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 03:13:39 PM »
Am wondering if sturdy slip cases would help? The binders would be suspended instead of all the weight put onto the bottom of
the binders?
I also use acid free cardboard backing cut to fit in each slot as a stiffener. A member here recommended this and it is keeping
each pocket rigid.
Alex

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 07:21:39 PM »
What about top loader binders? I use them and they work great. There is a thread about them on the forum.

Offline drono

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 09:11:30 PM »
What about putting a rubber band around them, doubled up, and carrying them in my back pocket?

Some of them I peel off the backing and stick on my desk at school.
Some of them I put in the spokes of my bike with the banana seat so that it sounds like a motorcycle.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 03:11:02 AM »
What about top loader binders? I use them and they work great. There is a thread about them on the forum.

Do you mean this forum. I could not find the thread you referenced. Or another forum? This is my only Wacky online place.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 02:07:36 PM »
Do you mean this forum. I could not find the thread you referenced. Or another forum? This is my only Wacky online place.
How soon they forget...   :P

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=2697

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »
Am wondering if sturdy slip cases would help? The binders would be suspended instead of all the weight put onto the bottom of
the binders?
I also use acid free cardboard backing cut to fit in each slot as a stiffener. A member here recommended this and it is keeping
each pocket rigid.
Alex

I too use a thin stiffener behind my stickers to keep them flat in the 9-pocket pages.  I would definitely NOT recommend storing them on their edge long-term though.  The weight of the stickers in the pages will cause them to collapse down and inward, which will tend to put a curl in the bottom left pocket on every page.  I store them flat on a binder storage shelves you can get at office max.  These can just sit on any regular shelf and are fairly efficient in their use of space. 

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 03:22:48 PM »
I've had mine in binders for a few years, and put extra ANS cards flipped behind the stickers I wanted to keep from curling. Ended up putting them rings-up, pages-down (i.e. horizontally pointing down) in a file drawer, which keeps the pages "hanging".

Am thinking of going the toploader binder route one of these days for the keeper vintage sets. That's one of the advantages of the reprints and ANS stickers - the hard backs - so at least I don't feel the need to do this with more than the vintage stickers!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 03:30:49 AM »
Thanks for all the comments and guidance. Given that I have all 30 of my binders stored upright on a shelf for years now, I already have the curve/ warping issue on the bottom 3 cards in some cases. I will probably try to sure things up by putting extra cards in the bottom 3 spots on all the binders in the near future. At least that's a positive use for that stack of assorted ANS cards I have sitting around.

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 07:02:36 AM »
Back in the 80s I learned the hard way from years of storing cards in binders standing upright.  Many of my cards were permanently warped. The only binders I use now are the top loaders, but for storage space efficiency reasons, generally don't binders much at all anymore. 

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »
Back in the 80s I learned the hard way from years of storing cards in binders standing upright.  Many of my cards were permanently warped. The only binders I use now are the top loaders, but for storage space efficiency reasons, generally don't binders much at all anymore. 

I always freak a bit when I read comments like what you've written.  However, I haven't noticed any warping and I've had cards stored upright for as long as 20-25 years.  Am I just lucky?  Am I not looking closely enough?  Could other conditions (light, humidity, etc) have more of an effect on this sort of thing than simply whether binders are stored upright or lying down?

Offline drono

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 06:33:16 PM »
I haven't had any issues either.  I think having binders that are full and packed together tightly in a bookcase prevent the warping issue.

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »
I always freak a bit when I read comments like what you've written.  However, I haven't noticed any warping and I've had cards stored upright for as long as 20-25 years.  Am I just lucky?  Am I not looking closely enough?  Could other conditions (light, humidity, etc) have more of an effect on this sort of thing than simply whether binders are stored upright or lying down?

Well for one thing, I didn't pack the binders well.  Also, some of the 1980s era plastic sheets were poorly made and did not lend themselves to good long term storage.  Lastly, since I was just a teen to early 20s back then, I didn't much pay attention to humidity and climate when it came to storage, so those were all factors that probably led to warping as well.

Offline quas

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »

Good ? I store some of my cards the same way and have wondered if laying them down might be a better option.

I store horizontally, which doesn't look good on shelves but I feel more comfortable about it.
Marc

Offline Kook

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 06:26:41 AM »
I store horizontally, which doesn't look good on shelves but I feel more comfortable about it.

Ditto.

I would love to find sleeves for some of my binders to make them stack better & keep dust out, but they didn't seem easy to locate. If Topps came out with a high quality generic wacky binder with a sleeve that would be great. The sleeve is another good opportunity for more artwork. I think the ANS binders seemed like much better quality than the latest 1st thru 16th release which felt kind of cheap to me.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 04:46:47 PM »

"Symmetrical book stacking. Just like the Philadelphia mass turbulence of 1947."

Offline Swiski

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 05:03:36 AM »
On my shelves, my binders are vertical with an alternating spine direction. In other words, every other binder has the spine edge of the binder facing outwards. The other binders has the spine facing the other way where you can see the sheets. I have no problems with warping cards.