Author Topic: new topps wacky packages and star wars combo product just annouced!  (Read 38499 times)

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
Re: new topps wacky packages and star wars combo product just annouced!
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 06:43:21 PM »
Wackys and Star Wars, hmmph.   Have we officially jumped the shark?

Offline dth1971

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 08:37:14 PM »
Like the "Decay Toothpaste" entry in Wacky Packages original sticker series 11, many of these Star Wars Wacky Packages don't spoof real products.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:31:21 AM by dth1971 »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2014, 03:53:09 AM »
I don't care for this release but wonder how many Star Wars people will start the Wacky Habit due to their exposure through this crossover effort?

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2014, 07:17:18 PM »
Wackys and Star Wars, hmmph.   Have we officially jumped the shark?

Wackys pole-vaulted over the sharks about 6 ANS series ago

or should I say Topps did.......
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 05:34:16 PM »
I don't care for this release but wonder how many Star Wars people will start the Wacky Habit due to their exposure through this crossover effort?

I wondered the same thing and believe it can't hurt in the task of jump-starting wackys a bit.

I still wonder about the timing of all these sets.  We now have four Wacky sets between July and November after almost a year between ANS11 and Chrome in July.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2014, 10:57:59 AM »
New updates and images on Cardboard Connection's website...

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/2014-topps-star-wars-wacky-packages-trading-cards

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2014, 11:27:19 AM »
Swiski, thanks for posting the link.  It is interesting that all the art is by a single artist, Randy Martinez.  He's done Star Wars but not Wacky work before.  The sketch card does not show a signature and I wonder if that is by Randy Martinez as well.  Well a cool set but definitely more Wars than Wacky.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2014, 01:31:07 PM »

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/2014-topps-star-wars-wacky-packages-trading-cards

I am sure I will end up collecting these, as I collect all types of parody items. Now that we have a little larger sampling of what this release will contain,  I think some Wacky collectors will be a little put off by the artwork however. Like you and others have mentioned, the art appears to be rendered on a computer rather than painted like we are used to. Very similar to many SILLY SUPERMARKET release 1 and 2 titles.

I wonder how this went down at Topps... Do you think there were heated, lengthy meetings  about whether to release this set under the Wacky Packages banner or  simply produce a Star Wars parody set? I like to think there were strong memos with lots of capital letters and exclamation marks along with emails with flames attached flying between the pro-Wacky camp and the ant-Wacky  contingent debating the issue. Blackberry messages zooming around containing  phrases like, "not Lynch enough like" or "not Pound worthy" trying to combat the "increased market share" and "new potential revenue stream" thinkers. A massive corporate turmoil leading to job threats and a divided workplace.  

But, it was probably just someone flipping a coin at lunch one day. "Wacky it is".
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Soremel

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2014, 03:19:51 PM »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »

same old, same old

this set, as Soremel states so well - is yawn inducing.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2014, 08:47:26 PM »

I wonder how this went down at Topps... Do you think there were heated, lengthy meetings  about whether to release this set under the Wacky Packages banner or  simply produce a Star Wars parody set? I like to think there were strong memos with lots of capital letters and exclamation marks along with emails with flames attached flying between the pro-Wacky camp and the ant-Wacky  contingent debating the issue. Blackberry messages zooming around containing  phrases like, "not Lynch enough like" or "not Pound worthy" trying to combat the "increased market share" and "new potential revenue stream" thinkers. A massive corporate turmoil leading to job threats and a divided workplace.  

But, it was probably just someone flipping a coin at lunch one day. "Wacky it is".

LOL, you convey a great scene there. All things considered, I hope it was a coin toss, and not given a lot of thought   :P

One of the things that strikes me, beside that I agree this is a yawner, is that the WP logo is featured in a secondary fashion under the Star Wars monolith. I just looks very weird to me. A near sacrilege... 

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »
I think the last paragraph or so of my intro to this book (which you can read by clicking on "look inside") sums up the thought process, or possible lack thereof, involved here.   http://www.amazon.com/The-Sincerest-Form-Parody-Satirical/dp/1606995111/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398917480&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=the+sinceerest+form+of+parody#reader_1606995111

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2014, 09:37:07 PM »
I think the last paragraph or so of my intro to this book (which you can read by clicking on "look inside") sums up the thought process, or possible lack thereof, involved here.   http://www.amazon.com/The-Sincerest-Form-Parody-Satirical/dp/1606995111/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398917480&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=the+sinceerest+form+of+parody#reader_1606995111

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2014, 10:01:07 PM »
 The last page of my intro.  Not that Wally Wood page.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2014, 11:26:31 AM »
These look horrible.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2014, 08:31:50 PM »
The last page of my intro.  Not that Wally Wood page.

I was drinking. That's my excuse for getting it wrong  >(

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2014, 06:02:17 AM »
Is anyone interested in buying these?? I am a so-so star wars fan but the variations look cool and they do have sketch cards....might be of interest...LMK

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2014, 07:48:11 PM »
Is anyone interested in buying these?? I am a so-so star wars fan but the variations look cool and they do have sketch cards....might be of interest...LMK

I'll probably just buy a set on ebay and a few packs at Target to open (and one to keep sealed).  While I'm not all that excited about the quality of them, I appreciate the set for its quirkiness in combining two of my favorites.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »

Am I not understanding part of the gag -  regarding spelling guaranteed as "guarenteed"?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2014, 11:45:26 PM »
                        (Image removed from quote.)

Am I not understanding part of the gag -  regarding spelling guaranteed as "guarenteed"?

I don't think there is a gag intended... perhaps they didn't have spell checker turned on in Photo Shop  ;)   This particular title seems very forced and not really a pun, play on words, or sound-alike gag. I would rather have seen it be JEDI CHOKE with Darth Vader giving his clenched hand, the Force induced, choke to one of his blundered commanders.

This seems to be an attempt to match up a list of STAR WARS characters with brands and this is one of the weaker attempts of those shown. May not bode well for some of the titles we have not seen thus far. I noticed in one of the detailed descriptions of this set on the Blowout Cards site, that they noted there are artist autograph cards from the series artist (singular). So we will not be getting the diversity we have in past WP releases.

I will say that I like the idea of the travel posters mentioned and the one example shown. Not really a past WP offering but kind of interesting.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:56:12 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2014, 06:37:20 AM »
“Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”

Yoda

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2014, 06:41:05 AM »
"For I can raise no money by vile means."

William Shakespeare

Having some fun with this cool currency generator I found         http://www.festisite.com/money/

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »
This particular title seems very forced
And, the forced is not with us.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »
I don't think there is a gag intended... perhaps they didn't have spell checker turned on in Photo Shop  ;)   This particular title seems very forced and not really a pun, play on words, or sound-alike gag. I would rather have seen it be JEDI CHOKE with Darth Vader giving his clenched hand, the Force induced, choke to one of his blundered commanders.

This seems to be an attempt to match up a list of STAR WARS characters with brands and this is one of the weaker attempts of those shown. May not bode well for some of the titles we have not seen thus far. I noticed in one of the detailed descriptions of this set on the Blowout Cards site, that they noted there are artist autograph cards from the series artist (singular). So we will not be getting the diversity we have in past WP releases.

I will say that I like the idea of the travel posters mentioned and the one example shown. Not really a past WP offering but kind of interesting.

It's a shame they didn't attempt to mix Star Wars with actual product names. COKE could have easily been CHOKE, showing Vader crushing that rebel's throat in the first movie.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2014, 02:47:41 PM »
I wonder if Wacky Packages Old School 5 will even have a Star Wars related spoof in it? Either a spoof of one of the Topps Star Wars trading card packs or the Kenner made Star Wars action figures.

A Wacky Packages name of Star Wars would be called "Star Warts" or "Stork Wars" for an Old School series.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2014, 09:31:36 PM »
I read the other day on the Non-Sport Update forum that this series has been canceled.  And, no, that's not the typical forum joke.  Though perhaps for once it would be true. 

Anyone hear anything one way or another?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2014, 03:19:49 AM »
I read the other day on the Non-Sport Update forum that this series has been canceled.  And, no, that's not the typical forum joke.  Though perhaps for once it would be true. 

Anyone hear anything one way or another?

I would welcome that news. Something about this tie-in was cheap to my senses. It was Wackies going where they don't need to go.
I have nothing on pre-order...which is not my typical style on a forthcoming WP release.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2014, 10:06:51 AM »
This is wild.  So a series is totally completed but due to poor pre-sales get cancelled!  It just shows on what shaky ground the future of Wacky Packages is on!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:11:31 PM by Joe G. »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »
This is wild.  So a series is totally completed but due to poor pre-sales get cancelled!  It just shows on what shaky ground the future of Wacky Packages is on!

If this is true it points to "Support Wackies with Pre-Orders" if you want to keep seeing them produced. I initially said I was not pre-ordering ANY 2014 Series 1 but ended up getting two collector boxes. I was swayed by the support Wackies argument. I could care less if Star Wars WP's ever surface.

Offline bwing

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »
Although I was somewhat looking forward to this, I am really not that disappointed.  Like the idea (as I am a big fan of both) but the cards themselves that have been shown are poor.

A good indicator that it truly has been cancelled is that it is no longer available for pre-order and Dave and Adams Card World.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2014, 02:22:05 PM »
Did anyone on the forum pre-order any?  If so did you get a cancellation notice?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:32:10 PM by Joe G. »

Offline bwing

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2014, 02:26:41 PM »
I did and no cancellation notice.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2014, 02:34:18 PM »
Well, in that case it still seems to be a rumor.  Maybe you could inquire and see what the dealer says.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »

I don't think that this makes Wacky's on shaky ground. I think it's a horrible idea with horrible execution. The art and gags look amateurish.

Also, I think when they say pre-orders they aren't referencing us little guys. They are referring to wholesale and card dealers.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:53:53 PM by BumChex »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »
A good indicator that it truly has been cancelled is that it is no longer available for pre-order and Dave and Adams Card World.
still boxes/cases listed on Potomac and Blowout, and blaster boxes on bbtoys, for what that's worth.

I was interested until I saw the art and gags. both rather poor.

anything