Author Topic: new topps wacky packages and star wars combo product just annouced!  (Read 38778 times)

Offline Joe G.

Re: new topps wacky packages and star wars combo product just annouced!
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
Just read this on Blowout cards forum, written by a Star Wars collector:

I believe this is a Wacky Packages set which will appeal to some segment of Star Wars collectors, not the other way around. Otherwise, it would be priced and packaged like a Star Wars release, which it is not.

So it turns out that neither Star Wars nor Wacky collectors felt the set was designed with them in mind.  Not really sure how pricing fits into it.  The bottom line seems to be that it didn't really fit anywhere.

Here's a link if anyone's interested:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports/703946-star-wars-wacky-packages-2.html

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »
that just points to the same initial rumor/statement on NSU

any corroborating evidence yet?

Offline Hitcher

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2014, 09:34:18 AM »
Is anybody going to get these or have they been canceled? According to Blowout Cards, they are to be released on 9/19... I was thinking about ordering a box or two... Seems like nobody is much into them though... thinking I should save my money for the other stuff coming out this year...

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2014, 09:52:13 AM »
Is anybody going to get these or have they been canceled? According to Blowout Cards, they are to be released on 9/19... I was thinking about ordering a box or two... Seems like nobody is much into them though... thinking I should save my money for the other stuff coming out this year...

Dude - Save your $$$$ - they have been:

CANCELLED :] :] :] :] :] for REAL!!!

Offline zeromaxx

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »
From what i understand this series was cancelled but does anyone know if they were printed or not because the may become available as a test set like the 1986 wacky package album sticker set

Offline dth1971

« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2014, 07:22:36 PM »
Since Topps cancelled plans for the Wacky Packages Star Wars series, why didn't Topps Wacky Packages Old School 5 do a sketch with the crying Mr. Spock from the "Star Wreck" Wacky Package OS5 entry crying about Topps not releasing Star Wars Wacky Packages?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2014, 08:21:13 PM »
Since Topps cancelled plans for the Wacky Packages Star Wars series, why didn't Topps Wacky Packages Old School 5 do a sketch with the crying Mr. Spock from the "Star Wreck" Wacky Package OS5 entry crying about Topps not releasing Star Wars Wacky Packages?
One of the artist's might still have some blank artist return cards - you should commission a sketch

"where's... my... Halloween...  Post-Khaaaaaaarrrrddsss!!!!"

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2014, 05:14:12 AM »
This was the only Wacky Pack release I passed on so its somewhat ironic for me that it got cancelled. Now watch the cards show up on Ebay for crazy money. The "Lost" Wacky Star Wars cards. Won't this help the "Other" Star Wars Wacky release "Galactic Groceries"?

Offline Soremel

« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2014, 07:08:57 AM »
This was the only Wacky Pack release I passed on so its somewhat ironic for me that it got cancelled. Now watch the cards show up on Ebay for crazy money. The "Lost" Wacky Star Wars cards. Won't this help the "Other" Star Wars Wacky release "Galactic Groceries"?

Yep, this will definitely help Galactic Groceries! (I hope! :o) The GG set will be including other sc-ifi movies & TV shows as parody targets, not just Star Wars. It will also be including cigarette & alcohol parodies and no "toilet" humor. There will be sketch cards and possibly some parody "relic" cards. Absolutely NO parallel sets (color border variations, etc) This set's focus is simplicity and affordability. I feel that a kid, with limited funds, should be able to go to buy 1/2 a box of packs and get a complete set and puzzle. A stick of gum per pack is being considered, but not definite at this point.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2014, 07:29:05 AM »
Yep, this will definitely help Galactic Groceries! (I hope! :o) The GG set will be including other sc-ifi movies & TV shows as parody targets, not just Star Wars. It will also be including cigarette & alcohol parodies and no "toilet" humor. There will be sketch cards and possibly some parody "relic" cards. Absolutely NO parallel sets (color border variations, etc) This set's focus is simplicity and affordability. I feel that a kid, with limited funds, should be able to go to buy 1/2 a box of packs and get a complete set and puzzle. A stick of gum per pack is being considered, but not definite at this point.

Sounds like a winner!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2014, 07:58:53 AM »

George, Is there a website or a source to get additional information on this set? I, for one, am looking forward to it but wasn't able to find much on the internet besides the Philly promo cards being sold on eBay.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2014, 08:45:21 AM »
George, Is there a website or a source to get additional information on this set? I, for one, am looking forward to it but wasn't able to find much on the internet besides the Philly promo cards being sold on eBay.

I too would like to know where I can get more info/ pre-order info on this release.

Regards,  Andrew

Offline Soremel

« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2014, 09:56:25 AM »
I too would like to know where I can get more info/ pre-order info on this release.

Regards,  Andrew

No website planned, but I will be putting up a Facebook page for the set within the next few weeks ~ most likely right after the Philly show.

The set was originally slated for a Fall 2014 release, but was put on the back-burner due to my wife's health. I will be posting weekly updates on the FB page and resume painting in November. The set will now have a target release date of Spring 2015 (at the Spring show)

The card layout will be very similar to the promo card that was given out in the last Philly show's attendee packs ~ I am staying away from any borders that could be interpreted as a competitor infringement issue. The art will be rendered with watercolor, acrylic and enamel paints ~ no rub-on letters and no computer-generated graphics or effects.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the set will be simple. These will be cards, not stickers, on thick, white-backed stock. Each pack will have a checklist/puzzle card ~ and also mentioned earlier, a possible stick of gum in each pack.

At the Spring Philly show, I had a notebook on my table for people to leave their name & email address for updates on the set's progress. Many, but not all, have been informed of the set's status and progress. I will have the same notebook at my table for the upcoming show for anyone that's interested.

I will be running a Kick Starter campaign for the set, with detailed incentive tiers, around March. I was also thinking, if Brad doesn't mind, of starting a new topic thread for the set could be located in the Non-Wacky discussion section.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2014, 10:48:14 AM »
No website planned, but I will be putting up a Facebook page for the set within the next few weeks ~ most likely right after the Philly show.

The set was originally slated for a Fall 2014 release, but was put on the back-burner due to my wife's health. I will be posting weekly updates on the FB page and resume painting in November. The set will now have a target release date of Spring 2015 (at the Spring show)

The card layout will be very similar to the promo card that was given out in the last Philly show's attendee packs ~ I am staying away from any borders that could be interpreted as a competitor infringement issue. The art will be rendered with watercolor, acrylic and enamel paints ~ no rub-on letters and no computer-generated graphics or effects.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the set will be simple. These will be cards, not stickers, on thick, white-backed stock. Each pack will have a checklist/puzzle card ~ and also mentioned earlier, a possible stick of gum in each pack.

At the Spring Philly show, I had a notebook on my table for people to leave their name & email address for updates on the set's progress. Many, but not all, have been informed of the set's status and progress. I will have the same notebook at my table for the upcoming show for anyone that's interested.

I will be running a Kick Starter campaign for the set, with detailed incentive tiers, around March. I was also thinking, if Brad doesn't mind, of starting a new topic thread for the set could be located in the Non-Wacky discussion section.

George, Thanks so much or the update. Please keep us informed here about the Kickstart program.  I'll bet there are a few here who would be interested. You should be able to start a new Topic on the Forum. I would suggest going to the  "Non-Sports card Discussion"  and then the "Parody Card Discussion". Then using the NEW TOPIC button to create.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:50:48 AM by sco(o)t »

Offline Soremel

« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2014, 10:57:55 AM »
George, Thanks so much or the update. Please keep us informed here about the Kickstart program.  I'll bet there are a few here who would be interested. You should be able to start a new Topic on the Forum. I would suggest going to the  "Non-Sports card Discussion"  and then the "Parody Card Discussion". Then using the NEW TOPIC button to create.

Thanks, Scot! I'll set up the topic this weekend! It will most likely start off with a scan of the previously released Spring show promo card, but I'll try to post some "teasers" over the next few days.

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »
Thanks, Scot! I'll set up the topic this weekend! It will most likely start off with a scan of the previously released Spring show promo card, but I'll try to post some "teasers" over the next few days.

bring some to the Philly Show!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Soremel

« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2014, 02:20:33 PM »
bring some to the Philly Show!!  ;D ;D ;D

I'll see what I can do... I'm crunched for time with getting my promo card set for this show. As it is, I may have to hand them out at my table because I'm not sure if I can have them ready for the attendee packs. I'll have plenty of the promo cards from the last show on hand for those that didn't get any along with some rough sketches of a few of the parodies in the set.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2014, 03:59:18 PM »
I'll see what I can do... I'm crunched for time with getting my promo card set for this show. As it is, I may have to hand them out at my table because I'm not sure if I can have them ready for the attendee packs. I'll have plenty of the promo cards from the last show on hand for those that didn't get any along with some rough sketches of a few of the parodies in the set.

Speaking of sketches. Will there be any in your packs when your set is released??

Offline Soremel

« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2014, 05:09:25 PM »

Speaking of sketches. Will there be any in your packs when your set is released??

That is still up in the air. My goal is to have 500 24-pack boxes produced and I'm not yet certain as to how I want to have the sketch cards distributed. I was leaning toward having one guaranteed sketch card (in a pack) per box just like WP Old School 5 did. The relic cards would be VERY limited and randomly inserted in the packs. I've also been considering having some redemption cards made up for original art, uncut sheets, etc. I will be doing at least 500 sketch cards for this set, and, if time allows, maybe do up to 1,000 sketch cards.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2014, 07:02:34 PM »
Thanks for the info. What are the Relic cards and how limited will they be?

Thanks,  Andrew

Offline Soremel

« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2014, 09:28:48 PM »
Thanks for the info. What are the Relic cards and how limited will they be?

Thanks,  Andrew

The relic cards will resemble the player uniform and movie-worn garment chase cards that are in many sport and non-sport sets. I'm not sure how many I'll produce, but these will be very limited.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2014, 08:00:14 PM »
However, 2014 Wacky Packages Series still has a release date of November 12, 2014.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »
Did some trading card company just have cases of the Star Wars Wacky Packages in stock without notice? Just check this link:
http://northeastsportscards.com/topps-star-wars-wacky-packages-2014-8-box-case.html

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2015, 03:11:38 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2015, 12:52:03 AM »
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Could this just be an old listing from last year that they never removed?

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2015, 07:48:10 AM »
It let me add one box to my cart??

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2015, 07:17:39 AM »

Yep

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2015, 02:47:45 PM »
Looks that way. I wrote to them inquiring about it and they responded that they did not have the product.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2015, 07:37:55 PM »
Looks that way. I wrote to them inquiring about it and they responded that they did not have the product.

Maybe you can e-mail them again to remove the listing.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2015, 08:24:53 PM »
This is wild.  So a series is totally completed but due to poor pre-sales get cancelled!  It just shows on what shaky ground the future of Wacky Packages is on!

I asked the Topps guy at the Philly Show about the Star Wars/Wacky Packages set. When I speculated that pre-orders must have been low, he said that the orders were actually very good. The project was initially approved by someone at Lucasfilm, but by the time it was solicited, that person's decision was overridden by someone higher--so it was killed. And it is not likely to ever see the light of day.   

Offline dth1971

« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2015, 08:46:32 PM »
I asked the Topps guy at the Philly Show about the Star Wars/Wacky Packages set. When I speculated that pre-orders must have been low, he said that the orders were actually very good. The project was initially approved by someone at Lucasfilm, but by the time it was solicited, that person's decision was overridden by someone higher--so it was killed. And it is not likely to ever see the light of day.   

Who was the someone higher who overridden to let Topps cancel the planned last year Star Wars Wacky Packages series? Someone at Disney?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2015, 10:01:54 PM »

Fred, thank you, good to know!  It's great to hear that there was interest in the series.  I was actually hoping it might bring some Star Wars fans into Wacky collecting.  I don't collect any other non-sports cards but except for some Wacky/GPK overlap it seems Wacky collectors pretty much only collect Wackys.  Although I did collect Star Wars back in the day and still have tons in the attic that I haven't looked at in years.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2015, 03:05:45 AM »
Fred, thank you, good to know!  It's great to hear that there was interest in the series.  I was actually hoping it might bring some Star Wars fans into Wacky collecting.  I don't collect any other non-sports cards but except for some Wacky/GPK overlap it seems Wacky collectors pretty much only collect Wackys.  Although I did collect Star Wars back in the day and still have tons in the attic that I haven't looked at in years.

What happened to George Wright's Galactic Groceries set? That seems like it would do very well based on the other set being vaporized.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2015, 03:20:00 AM »

There are some fantastic non-sports sets out there, many with beautiful artwork.  One set I picked up a few years ago is of old movie posters.  Some of the advertising sets from the 90's are nice, too - Hershey's, Pepsi and Coca-Cola come to mind.  There's also a cool Salvador Dali set, and Norman Rockwell.  Wackys are my favorite, but I could go broke at the Allentown show without buying a single Wacky!

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2015, 12:58:53 PM »
There are some fantastic non-sports sets out there, many with beautiful artwork.  One set I picked up a few years ago is of old movie posters.  Some of the advertising sets from the 90's are nice, too - Hershey's, Pepsi and Coca-Cola come to mind.  There's also a cool Salvador Dali set, and Norman Rockwell.  Wackys are my favorite, but I could go broke at the Allentown show without buying a single Wacky!

There was a vintage (baby boomer) toy set that came out in the 90s that was great - cards covered everything from GI Joe to Barbie to Capt Action and more!
A