Author Topic: Petition for Topps to print a OS 17th Sticker Set with Puzzle  (Read 10454 times)

Offline DrDeal

Given the recent efforts by Topps to create a binder and sketch cards for a Lost 17th Series; I think it would make sense to organize a petition to attempt to show Topps there is a demand for a sticker set for the 17th Series. It would nice if they did a set and sold a box of 24 packs with 4 stickers and a puzzle piece in each pack. I would be in for a box and then would have a pretty cool sticker set to place in my 17th binder. I sense many who did not get the binders would want the stickers as well. Maybe they could use the same materials they used for the last Old School set?
Maybe one sketch card per box to justify a $40 - $50 per box price?  No super rare chase cards/ just some cool stickers, a puzzle and maybe a sketch.  Thoughts?

Andrew
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:17:44 PM by DrDeal »

Offline vahsurfer

Re: Petition for Topps to print a OS 17th Sticker Set with Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:37:37 PM »
After spending well over $1000 for the whole lot - I would have hope for a Puzzle/combo like the other 16

I would like to see 1 17th series - But based on the Lost Wackys that have floated around for years.  Not 1800 subsets like the past few ANS releases.

I love the old LOST wackys like Ovary Show and Tushie Roll

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »
Count on me too! I wanna see those images!

Pauly

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:14:30 PM »
Given the recent efforts by Topps to create a binder and sketch cards for a Lost 17th Series; I think it would make sense to organize a petition to attempt to show Topps there is a demand for a sticker set for the 17th Series. It would nice if they did a set and sold a box of 24 packs with 4 stickers and a puzzle piece in each pack. I would be in for a box and then would have a pretty cool sticker set to place in my 17th binder. I sense many who did not get the binders would want the stickers as well. Maybe they could use the same materials they used for the last Old School set?
Maybe one sketch card per box to justify a $40 - $50 per box price?  No super rare chase cards/ just some cool stickers, a puzzle and maybe a sketch.  Thoughts?

Andrew

I'd love to see something like what you've proposed, but wackys don't seem a high priority for Topps these days.  And, quite honestly, after the last few ANS offerings, they've slipped in my interest too.  Topps just doesn't seem to produce a lot along the lines of what we forum members want.  Maybe I'm projecting too much here based on what I would like to see, but I fear your proposal is almost the opposite of what Topps is giving us lately.

I still hold out some hope for the Chrome series, but I fear even if it turns out as well as it could, it won't match my highest hopes.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 07:29:06 AM »
Make it part of:
Old School Series 5
OR
Wacky Packages 2014 series (a/k/a All New Series 12)

Offline quas

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 10:06:12 AM »
Make it part of:
Old School Series 5
OR
Wacky Packages 2014 series (a/k/a All New Series 12)

I'd like to see it, at a minimum a checklist!
Marc

Offline Swiski

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 06:23:08 AM »
I'd love to see something like what you've proposed, but wackys don't seem a high priority for Topps these days.  And, quite honestly, after the last few ANS offerings, they've slipped in my interest too.  Topps just doesn't seem to produce a lot along the lines of what we forum members want.  Maybe I'm projecting too much here based on what I would like to see, but I fear your proposal is almost the opposite of what Topps is giving us lately.

I still hold out some hope for the Chrome series, but I fear even if it turns out as well as it could, it won't match my highest hopes.

I was hoping Abrams would publish a third book, showing the rest of the original run, the 1985, and 1991 series. That's what I want! I think the Chrome series Lost Wackys subset is going to reveal these parodies that are "teased" on the 17th series binder.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 07:04:58 AM »
I was hoping Abrams would publish a third book, showing the rest of the original run, the 1985, and 1991 series. That's what I want! I think the Chrome series Lost Wackys subset is going to reveal these parodies that are "teased" on the 17th series binder.
I think you may be right with that

Cutting Room Floor (20 cards, 1:4 packs) takes abandoned gags and sees them through to completion for the first time.
Lost Wackys (ten cards, 1:6 packs) follows a similar concept for more cards that were cut.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 12:01:31 PM »
I agree with a 17th series set with 30 cards & one puzzle like the other 16 series, only no sketch , no chase , no magnets etc... , just the old way that it was. Leave all the chase for ANS.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 12:24:41 PM »
I agree with a 17th series set with 30 cards & one puzzle like the other 16 series, only no sketch , no chase , no magnets etc... , just the old way that it was. Leave all the chase for ANS.

That would be great, but a set of those titles should come with a new puzzle of a Topps product.  Meanwhile, we still have 16 binders with puzzles of the binder art, and a 17th binder lacking such a puzzle.  Am I the only collector that finds this difference annoying?

Offline drono

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 01:04:46 PM »
Nope.  I find it annoying too.  After dropping $1,040, I expected more.

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 01:08:58 PM »
Nope.  I find it annoying too.  After dropping $1,040, I expected more.

Amen.  I feel fleeced by Topps (yet again). 

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 03:27:47 PM »
That would be great, but a set of those titles should come with a new puzzle of a Topps product.  Meanwhile, we still have 16 binders with puzzles of the binder art, and a 17th binder lacking such a puzzle.  Am I the only collector that finds this difference annoying?

I can envision a pretty cool Topps Product to be used for the puzzle. WP Lost OS 17th Series Vapor Set. No Cards or Puzzle piece in every pack!
24 Empty packs per box! 5 Free Empty 9 Pocket Sleeves with each box!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 04:08:57 PM »
DR.Deal - LMBO still

I am a bit annoyed after all that loot and no special anything

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 05:27:12 PM »
That would be great, but a set of those titles should come with a new puzzle of a Topps product.  Meanwhile, we still have 16 binders with puzzles of the binder art, and a 17th binder lacking such a puzzle.  Am I the only collector that finds this difference annoying?
You are right Pat,  a binder with zilch inside is frustrating after shelling out all that dough.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 06:48:49 AM »
You are right Pat,  a binder with zilch inside is frustrating after shelling out all that dough.

Hell NO!! We were screwed over- Should have gotten as least a puzzle, as set of sticker or cards forh the 17th Series Binder - yet Topps is lazy and don't give a sh*t!! we need to get a hold of who ever (Director) is in charge of WP and give them our Voice - via 'SLAM FIST' 

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 09:39:14 AM »
Hell NO!! We were screwed over- Should have gotten as least a puzzle, as set of sticker or cards forh the 17th Series Binder - yet Topps is lazy and don't give a sh*t!! we need to get a hold of who ever (Director) is in charge of WP and give them our Voice - via 'SLAM FIST' 
Hustler,   Violence won't work in this case.  Hopefully once this thread reaches 5000 replies they will understand the huge demand for 17th Series stickers!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 11:14:10 AM »
Maybe next month's Spring Allentown Non-Sport Card Show may give us a spoiler or something like that...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 11:27:52 AM »
I doubt anything will happen as Dave pointed out that some of the characters were taken from roughs.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 01:53:17 PM »
Hustler,   Violence won't work in this case.  Hopefully once this thread reaches 5000 replies they will understand the huge demand for 17th Series stickers!
as Swiski pointed out, these cards are extremely likely to be the subsets in the upcoming Chrome. While not stickers, they will be printed very soon.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 07:25:09 PM »
I think you may be right with that

Cutting Room Floor (20 cards, 1:4 packs) takes abandoned gags and sees them through to completion for the first time.
Lost Wackys (ten cards, 1:6 packs) follows a similar concept for more cards that were cut.

This would make my interest in Chrome increase quite a bit.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 12:12:58 PM »
as Swiski pointed out, these cards are extremely likely to be the subsets in the upcoming Chrome. While not stickers, they will be printed very soon.

So if they are not stickers we will STILL need a proper 17th Sticker set.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 05:21:03 PM »
Geez, I guess I've been outa this hobby for too long.  17th Series?  Wacky x-packs?  Chrome sets in die-cut boxes!?  What happened this past year?  I do like the idea of an original-style 17th series, though, printed old-school with zero chase cards, plain backs, gum, wax packs, and in the style of the originals.  When I first saw the posts referring to "17th Series", I have to admit my old "Wacky Sleuth" alarm started going off.  If Topps had discovered an ACTUAL original 17th series set that had been shelved all these years, I think it would have been enough to pull me back in.  For now, my meager attempt at putting together a passable 1977 Shedds set is all that keeps me barely connected.  I'm half way there now, though, mostly thanks to generous Bill K. 

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 07:24:15 PM »
Geez, I guess I've been outa this hobby for too long.  17th Series?  Wacky x-packs?  Chrome sets in die-cut boxes!?  What happened this past year?  I do like the idea of an original-style 17th series, though, printed old-school with zero chase cards, plain backs, gum, wax packs, and in the style of the originals.  When I first saw the posts referring to "17th Series", I have to admit my old "Wacky Sleuth" alarm started going off.  If Topps had discovered an ACTUAL original 17th series set that had been shelved all these years, I think it would have been enough to pull me back in.  For now, my meager attempt at putting together a passable 1977 Shedds set is all that keeps me barely connected.  I'm half way there now, though, mostly thanks to generous Bill K. 

I won't try to recruit you back into the fold, Scott, but it is nice to see you back on the board.  I am feeling much less attached to Wackys these days, mostly because of the decline, IMO, of the ANS and lack of much else coming out recently.  I do think the Chrome series has potential (we'll see if it plays out) and the next Old School series should retain the quality of the previous ones.  Whatever your level of interest/involvement, I'm hopeful you'll stick around, even if it's only minimally.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 05:57:53 PM »
Thanks.  I'm always in the background, though, just because the original Wackys will always be cool.  There's a natural cycle, though, to collecting stuff from childhood it seems.  When we hit our 30's, we all raid our closets & rafters for our old cards & Hotwheels, etc., as some sort of rehashing of the past.  We get fanatic about the stuff when we realize that it's actually rare & valuable, and there are tons of other people the same age freaking out about them too.  But then the hype wears off and the next decade of 30-somethings follows suit (like the GPK'ers in our case).  Pretty soon it'll be time for the Pokemon crowd to have their heyday, right?  Not sure I want to collect the original art from those.

But in Wacky's case it was more of a mega-storm of events that hit all at the same time.  The 7-year itch hit (1996 to 2003 seemed like the main arc of the Wacky frenzy), AND at the same time the ANS Wackys came out (which was totally anti-climactic as we all got to see the re-packaging of our cherished 'packages' on shiny card stock with coupons and gags on the back, endless chase cards, and mylar-balloon-like wrappers... giving us the same punch in the gut we got from seeing "Star Wars 1: Phantom Menace" a couple years before--Jarjar Binks is even worse than a pink-bordered chase card), AND at the same time a lot of the cool mystery items we'd all been looking for finally started coming out... but on eBay instead of The Wrapper, and from ToppsVault at huge prices... most still incessantly available for even higher prices from Probestien, AND at the same time the general atmosphere of the hobby (and many collectors' demeanor) totally changed into something, well... different.

What's interesting is that, since then, I've dabbled in collecting a few other types of nostalgic items, and seen the forums for other collectibles, and it seems like this cycle is universal.  People start out all buddy-buddy and collect-IVE in their collect-ING, and then suddenly it all gets territorial, vicious, and you start to see fakes turns up, and deals gone bad, tremendous greed, delusions of grandeur, and back-stabbing.  And then the NEW wave of collectors comes in... they read all the wild posts... and are totally baffled at how something as innocuous an fun as a collecting hobby can generate such animosity.  Then the old guard finally burns out and leaves, and the new generation come in an revamp everything... then start getting bitter, etc. and it starts over.

Don't worry, though... you guys can count on me turning up every few years to rant about this same subject again.  Maybe it's entertaining and historical for the newbies.  Broken record, yes, but never completely out of the hobby.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 08:10:02 PM »
I won't try to recruit you back into the fold, Scott, but it is nice to see you back on the board. 

Which Wacky fold? The 85 or 21?                            :P

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 12:01:16 AM »

Isn't this roughly the definition of Old School series 1? 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 12:02:26 PM »
I just want to chime in to defend ANS.  I've collected Wacky's three times in my life.  When I was 7 in '73, with my daughter when she turned 6 in '04 and with my son when he turned 6 in 2010.  The last time it stuck and I've been collecting ever since.   But I only saw ANS through my kids eyes and we love 'em.  I had as much fun cracking ANS packs with my kids as I did with OS packs as a kid.  ANS instilled new life in Wacky collecting and without it I'm not sure where the hobby would be today.  Look this year has been very slow in terms of new items and because of that the forum has been slow as well.  I realize collecting new Wacky's may not be for everyone but I think we can all agree they have had a positive impact on the hobby.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »
ANS has energized the hobby and been a blast. I prize my ANS sets.

Andrew

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
I think we can all agree they [new Wackys] have had a positive impact on the hobby.
I'm not so certain of this. They reincarnated it, yes. Made it better? Debatable.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 03:04:13 PM »
Which Wacky fold? The 85 or 21?                            :P
Dammit! Why didn't I think of this?       :]

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 07:15:25 PM »
I'm not so certain of this. They reincarnated it, yes. Made it better? Debatable.

Bigtomi, all I said is that the new Wacky's have had a positive impact on the hobby.  For instance take that sketch card which is your avatar.  That wouldn't exist if not for the new Wacky's and to me that's pretty cool.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:39:46 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2014, 01:12:18 PM »
Isn't this roughly the definition of Old School series 1? 
If that's the case then why put out an empty 17th series binder if there never was a 17th series. Something ain't quite matching up! It was nice that today's artist drew sketch cards but it's not lined up with 1-16 binders, see what I'm saying?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 04:31:05 AM »
I think the 17th Binder was devised as a an incentive for people to purchase all 16 OS binders. Having the artists draw sketches was part of the plan.

Creating actual 17th stickers was an option that could be exercised later. That's what I am hoping happens.  Even if the  characters on the binder/sketches

show up as finished gags on cards in Chrome, I still want an real 17th sticker set as some point.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
I think to be fair, they should only offer the 17th Series "SET", if they ever do it, to those of us who actually made the financial commitment of all 17 binders...... your thoughts?

anything