Author Topic: Record Breaking Price on Toadal Poster!  (Read 4968 times)

Offline Kook

Record Breaking Price on Toadal Poster!
« on: March 11, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »
Having sold a couple of NM Toadal posters in the past in the $300 range, I thought a $750 ask was a bit optimistic. I stand Toadally corrected:

http://item.ebay.com/itm/1973-MINT-CONDITION-UNFOLDED-TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-TOADAL-POSTER-BY-NORM-SAUNDERS-/141212469248?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=pYiUM9CU92D%252Ff3SbOwXxBf6aBSU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I can't believe this pulled $650. I wonder why cheepios & weakies don't pull anywhere near toadal? They are just as rare. For that matter, even the '73 test posters, which are as rare as the cereal posters, don't generally command more than $40 or $50 dollars either. Granted you can get a '74 version of the poster for about $10, but collecting vintage stuff is a lot about the variations, and a '73 poster is not a '74 poster. After all, a nm bandache may pull $150 to $200, but a nm bandache w/ a tan back..., or a Ludlow back...

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Record Breaking Price on Toadal Poster!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:58:29 AM »
Being unfolded is making a big difference I'm guessing.

But in general, it might be that the other two were stickers, and this one never was.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »
Oh, I'm betting it's that lovely frame it's in that boosted the value up.    :P

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:40:15 AM »

But in general, it might be that the other two were stickers, and this one never was.

I agree on both points, but the fact that it was never folded would have made a huge difference to me.

Did anyone here buy this?  If so, a good scan of it out of the frame would be awesome to see posted.  And, I'll bet it could end up on a mug :)

Offline quas

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 05:33:38 AM »
Oh, I'm betting it's that lovely frame it's in that boosted the value up.    :P

It's Toadally the frame.   Otherwise maybe $350 tops.
Marc

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 06:24:33 AM »
Having sold a couple of NM Toadal posters in the past in the $300 range, I thought a $750 ask was a bit optimistic. I stand Toadally corrected:

http://item.ebay.com/itm/1973-MINT-CONDITION-UNFOLDED-TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-TOADAL-POSTER-BY-NORM-SAUNDERS-/141212469248?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=pYiUM9CU92D%252Ff3SbOwXxBf6aBSU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I can't believe this pulled $650. I wonder why cheepios & weakies don't pull anywhere near toadal? They are just as rare. For that matter, even the '73 test posters, which are as rare as the cereal posters, don't generally command more than $40 or $50 dollars either. Granted you can get a '74 version of the poster for about $10, but collecting vintage stuff is a lot about the variations, and a '73 poster is not a '74 poster. After all, a nm bandache may pull $150 to $200, but a nm bandache w/ a tan back..., or a Ludlow back...

Maybe its was the "missing" 18" TOADAL" Poster - that was not known to exist... :-\

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 06:26:41 AM »

The unfolded posters make a huge difference....as most would rip when folded - esp. the yellow pack ones... :P :P

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 05:54:54 PM »

Did anyone here buy this?  If so, a good scan of it out of the frame would be awesome to see posted.  And, I'll bet it could end up on a mug :)
[/quote]

Hey Pat - Yep, someone here did buy it... I may have paid a bit much for it, but I am trying to complete my unfolded poster set.  I actually had this one long ago, but sold it to John Kosturik for $450 to complete his set... since then, it has taken me 7 years to finally find another.  I believe there are only 3 of them in existence, so it probably was not too unreasonable based on scarcity.  I just hate the fact that it cost me more to replace my original... but hey, that's Wackys for ya!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:12:47 PM by BRUTE_88 »

Offline Kook

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 07:21:15 PM »
Did anyone here buy this?  If so, a good scan of it out of the frame would be awesome to see posted.  And, I'll bet it could end up on a mug :)

Hey Pat - Yep, someone here did buy it... I may have paid a bit much for it, but I am trying to complete my unfolded poster set.  I actually had this one long ago, but sold it to John Kosturik for $450 to complete his set... since then, it has taken me 7 years to finally find another.  I believe there are only 3 of them in existence, so it probably was not too unreasonable based on scarcity.  I just hate the fact that it cost me more to replace my original... but hey, that's Wackys for ya!

Congrats on the purchase Brian. I guess being unfolded WAS the reason for the premium. How many more unfolded posters do you need to complete your set?

Offline MadMike

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »
Congrats on getting the poster. It is hard to let things go when you may not see it ever again or at least for a few years. Enjoy!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 02:04:58 AM »

Congrats Brian!  I'm kind of glad I didn't see this on ebay 'cause I'd have been sorely tempted to go for it.

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 06:01:02 AM »
Congrats Brian!  I'm kind of glad I didn't see this on ebay 'cause I'd have been sorely tempted to go for it.
[/quote]

Thanks!  Here is a list of the ones I need to complete them if anyone has any that they want to trade or sell:

Log Cave-In
Koduck
Kook
Hipton
Gadzooka
Milk Foam
Plopsickle
Burpsi
Hawaiian Punks
Ditch Boy
Lipoff
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:12:52 AM by BRUTE_88 »

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 06:05:44 AM »
Congrats Brian!  I'm kind of glad I didn't see this on ebay 'cause I'd have been sorely tempted to go for it.

Thanks Guys!  Here is a list of the ones I need to complete them if anyone has any that they want to trade or sell:

Log Cave-In
Koduck
Kook
Hipton
Gadzooka
Milk Foam
Plopsickle
Burpsi
Hawaiian Punks
Ditch Boy
Lipoff

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 06:10:02 PM »
I have an unfolded Toadal but it has a slight tear in one side. I think Cheryl was selling her complete set at one point for like $5k, too rich for my blood!

Offline Hipton

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »
I think I'd be taking a loss if I sold at 5k. I think I have $5600 into the collection. Cheepios was the hardest to get. Many thanks to Bandaches for selling me half the collection at once, or I might not have attempted to complete it.
Congrats on your progress, Brian!