Author Topic: Bhob Stewart R.I.P.  (Read 4656 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Bhob Stewart R.I.P.
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:54:16 AM »
What a sad day! I just saw a post from Jay Lynch on Facebook stating that Bhob Stewart has passed away. I don't have any other information to add, but I  hope Jay will post here with more news...

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Re: Bhob Stewart R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 11:42:40 AM »
Damn.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
What a sad day! I just saw a post from Jay Lynch on Facebook stating that Bhob Stewart has passed away. I don't have any other information to add, but I  hope Jay will post here with more news...

Sad news to hear about Bhob, I met him, Jay L, Len B, and Zina S. as they were part of the Wacky panel discussion for the Philly show that was held in 1999.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »
That is sad. I do have his sketches to remember him by.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 02:46:47 PM »
Sad news indeed.   My condolences to his family and friends.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 03:14:59 PM »
Bhob passed on yesterday.   I just talked to him a few weeks ago, so it's quite a shocker.  Tributes are piling up on his Facebook page as the sad news spreads.  Here is the story.   http://comicsbeat.com/rip-bhob-stewart/

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 08:44:49 PM »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »
Rest in peas Bhob

Offline wackygarbage

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 05:20:50 AM »
Bhob passed on yesterday.   I just talked to him a few weeks ago, so it's quite a shocker.  Tributes are piling up on his Facebook page as the sad news spreads.  Here is the story.   http://comicsbeat.com/rip-bhob-stewart/

Very Sad News Indeed!  Hopefully People Don't Take Advantage Of His Passing By Listing His Work On eBay At Ridiculous Prices!

Rest In Peace Bhob!!! :'(

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 05:58:29 AM »
Very Sad News Indeed!  Hopefully People Don't Take Advantage Of His Passing By Listing His Work On eBay At Ridiculous Prices!

Rest In Peace Bhob!!! :'(

I see some already - his Wik page didn't mention any sketches....but he did die After 35 years of living with emphysema - that must of been a fight!! RIP Mr. S.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »
Sad news. Thank you, Bhob, for all you did!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 03:07:18 AM »
Sounds like Bhob made a big difference in the lives of many. Sad to hear of his passing. I trust he will add some uniqueness to the next place.

Andrew

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 08:33:30 AM »
Here is the most inclusive obit so far.   http://www.tcj.com/bhob-stewart-1937-2014/

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 10:18:36 AM »
Jay can you give us any background on the invisible bench photo shown in the link you provided.  I assume Bhob is actually sitting on air and had the picture taken as a goof?

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 12:07:28 PM »
This is the first time I ever saw that pic.  It's from around l963 or so.  Which is the first time I met the guy in the flesh, although I'd known of Bhob from his EC comics fanzines that he did in the early l950s.  He had moved to NYC by then.   Me and Joe Pilati (another early EC fanzine guy) went to visit Bhob at his pad.  He was at that time heavily into making underground movies.    But the bench photo...If you go to YouTube and look up "levitation", there are plenty of old videos of the popular Hindu fakir routine where it appears the guy is levitating, but attached to his walking stick is a seat, and the stick is made of iron and buried in the ground.  The seat is under the fakir's robes, so that it appears he's levitating.   So Bhob is probably sitting on something that you can't see in the pic.    Some old photos of his have been turning up on the web.   Once while walking around Brooklyn, we passed a scene where kids had opened up a fire hydrant and were playing around in the street as the stream from the hydrant gushed out over the asphalt.   Bhob had his camera with him.  So I stood on the sidewalk side of the hydrant, covering the hydrant from view with my feet and legs.  I put both hands in front of me at crotch level...so that in the photo it appeared as if the kids were playing in a giant stream of urine emanating from me.  That particular pic hasn't turned up yet, though.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 04:05:32 PM »
Jay can you give us any background on the invisible bench photo shown in the link you provided.  I assume Bhob is actually sitting on air and had the picture taken as a goof?

Best guess, there is a 3rd bench post. Was the pic intended to look like levitation? Possibly, but weird things happen when not intended.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »
Best guess, there is a 3rd bench post. Was the pic intended to look like levitation? Possibly, but weird things happen when not intended.

I think he's just balancing on one leg. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 04:39:47 PM »

Is he Russian?

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 04:55:22 PM »
Me Too . RIP Bhob