Author Topic: 2014 Wacky Packages Chrome  (Read 41137 times)

Offline andyg

Re: 2014 Wacky Packages Chrome
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »
  From what I read the GPK Blaster Boxes had Exclusive refractors limited to 50 made of each base card. I could be mistaken on that figure. 

I believe the blaster box X-Fractor being limited to 50 of each card was a typo that was corrected on a later sell sheet. I remember one of the earlier sell sheets said that, but it was changed later.

The sell sheet (04/09/12) here says "RETAIL VALUE BOX EXCLUSIVE"

http://gpkworld.com/US_Chrome_1_Sheets.htm

The "Value" packs sold at Target were hung on pegs and had 3 Chrome packs and an exclusive pack of 4 "Atomic" refractors (cracked ice) only available at Target. Target also sold the blaster boxes, but these had the standard X-Fractor cards in them.

Walmart and Toys R Us sold "Value" packs but they were different than the ones sold at target. These "Value" packs had 3 Chrome P and 4 Base cards wrapped in cellophane.  The blaster boxes at Walmart and Toys R Us had the X-fractors in them.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2014, 03:12:58 AM »
I believe the blaster box X-Fractor being limited to 50 of each card was a typo that was corrected on a later sell sheet. I remember one of the earlier sell sheets said that, but it was changed later.

The "Value" packs sold at Target were hung on pegs and had 3 Chrome packs and an exclusive pack of 4 "Atomic" refractors (cracked ice) only available at Target. Target also sold the blaster boxes, but these had the standard X-Fractor cards in them.

Walmart and Toys R Us sold "Value" packs but they were different than the ones sold at target. These "Value" packs had 3 Chrome P and 4 Base cards wrapped in cellophane.  The blaster boxes at Walmart and Toys R Us had the X-fractors in them.

The "Cracked Ice" fractor name sounds like a veiled drug reference to me. This stuff is "Crack" to some people. 

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2014, 08:13:23 AM »

I don't think WP Chrome will get that exotic...?? What is the difference btw the Atomic Refract's and the X-Fractor?? same cards just diff look of card?? seems like way to much dillusion...with super refrac, gold refrac, blu refrac, and x-frac...and now atomic refrac....what the "frac" is going on???

Offline andyg

« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2014, 08:35:27 AM »
The only difference between the Atomic and X-Fractor cards is in the pattern of the refractor.  I think the only reasoning behind adding any number of refractors to a set is a cash grab.

The Chrome sports cards usually have an embossed serial number stamped in them (1/1, 01/50, 01/199) but for whatever reason, outside of the superfractors, the Garbage Pail Kids Chrome cards had nothing stamped.

One of the collectors at the Garbage Pail Kids Underground Forum posted his Story Heather Chrome collection, this may give you an idea of the difference of the patterns.

Superfractor, Gold, Prism, Atomic
X-Fractor, Refractor, Base Card, Pencil Art

It's hard to see in the picture, but the X-Fractor design has a checkerboard type design.

The Chrome cards are certainly nice when they are in hand and the card stock is certainly high quality. But once I got over the "oooh shiny" factor, I kind of felt ripped off as I've purchased the same card design a few times over already.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »
The only difference between the Atomic and X-Fractor cards is in the pattern of the refractor.  I think the only reasoning behind adding any number of refractors to a set is a cash grab.

The Chrome sports cards usually have an embossed serial number stamped in them (1/1, 01/50, 01/199) but for whatever reason, outside of the superfractors, the Garbage Pail Kids Chrome cards had nothing stamped.

One of the collectors at the Garbage Pail Kids Underground Forum posted his Story Heather Chrome collection, this may give you an idea of the difference of the patterns.

(Image removed from quote.)

Superfractor, Gold, Prism, Atomic
X-Fractor, Refractor, Base Card, Pencil Art

It's hard to see in the picture, but the X-Fractor design has a checkerboard type design.

The Chrome cards are certainly nice when they are in hand and the card stock is certainly high quality. But once I got over the "oooh shiny" factor, I kind of felt ripped off as I've purchased the same card design a few times over already.

I can see wanting a few of each type of refractor which I pulled from boxes but I can't see buying all of the different refractor types for  one card design. Time will tell but that's how I feel at present. Looking forward to pulling a "Superfractor" I hear the buzz is quite intense on that type of pull.   ;)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2014, 01:32:47 PM »

....what the "frac" is going on???

:sign0065:           LOL                    rim shot!

The "Cracked Ice" fractor name sounds like a veiled drug reference to me.

If so, that's garbage. Everyone knows that ice and crack are totally different things                            :^)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »
Just got an email from BBtoystore with free shipping on any purchase for the next three days. I ordered a blaster box for some Cracked Ice Cards.

If you sign up for the email list you will probably get the code.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2014, 04:45:54 PM »
seems like way to much dillusion...
I think you mean delusion...
cuz somehow people are getting deluded into thinking a different 'fractor background somehow has monetary value.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:49:07 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2014, 06:54:36 PM »
I think you me delusion...
cuz somehow people are getting deluded into thinking a different 'fractor background somehow has monetary value.

I think you need to fractor in a number of fractors in order to get to the true value of the numerous  wack fractors coming our way.  8)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2014, 09:07:59 PM »

Wow, suddenly your avatar is reminiscent of the "transformation" scene from 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline havok77

« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2014, 12:16:16 AM »
realy surprised theres no pre order for this on certain sites like toy wiz .

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2014, 06:23:53 AM »
Nice work on ur  avatar Fanatical
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 12:28:39 PM by Ruffs »

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2014, 11:57:50 AM »
I guess I will have to confess at being a little more interested in the upcoming Chrome WP release than I was previously. I picked up a base set (including the Lost titles subset) of the GPK Chrome for $12 on eBay to check it out. My opinion, after receiving them and comparing to my set of original GPK stickers,  is that these were quite well done. In many cases, the colors chosen for the background, although not matching the originals, usually result in complimenting the character as well or better. Often a more subdued color was pulled from the main character to be used in the background, which actually highlights the character a bit more.  

There is also a very slight 3-D affect in some of the titles (see examples below... not sure how well the scans will reflect the actual chrome cards, however). That being said, these earlier GPK titles were often the main character with little or no detail in the background. Its yet to be seen whether the chrome affect can be used as nicely for Wacky Package artwork. which is typically more detailed throughout the piece.

Here are some examples I pulled and scanned in... "April Showers" chrome card is one with a nice but slight 3D affect where the rain drops appear to be at various depths but unfortunately they don't show up very well in the scan.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 12:06:06 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2014, 12:43:47 PM »
Nice work on ur  avatar Fanatical
thanks.
I've extended the animation some since yesterday as well. So many great holographic refractor foil backgrounds to choose from out there

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2014, 03:58:26 AM »
Anyone here have any insight regarding a binder for Chrome?  Maybe one of the artists is aware and can share?

I can use my OS 17th Binder for them but would like a Chrome Specific binder too.

Offline havok77

« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2014, 10:08:12 PM »
they didnt do one for gpk . so realy dont think they would do one for wacky .

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2014, 06:04:03 AM »
they didnt do one for gpk . so realy dont think they would do one for wacky .

That's true... but the GPK and WP binder releases haven't really reflected one another in the past. WP has had many postcard, Old School and ANS release specific binders  over the past years then, of course, the recent Original Series 1-16 binders.  GPK has basically just had the different colored ADAM binders then the recent set of 6 or so binders that were not specific to any one release. I am not sure we can base Topps'  WP binder release plan on what we have seen for GPK.

Offline andyg

« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »
FWIW, The Chrome Superfractor for Adam Bomb popped up on eBay today. Over $2k and the reserve hasn't been met. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181384293711

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »

... but the GPK and WP binder releases haven't really reflected one another in the past.

You meant to say, "they haven't really refracted one another", right?        ;)

Offline havok77

« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »
something that just crossed my mind ...... what are the chances of wacky chrome getting canceled !!!!!!!!! yikes !! i hope not .

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2014, 04:04:57 AM »
FWIW, The Chrome Superfractor for Adam Bomb popped up on eBay today. Over $2k and the reserve hasn't been met. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181384293711

That's what will happen with Jailo.  Wait and see.  Never underestimate the power of a classic title "refracted"

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2014, 03:56:01 AM »
something that just crossed my mind ...... what are the chances of wacky chrome getting canceled !!!!!!!!! yikes !! i hope not .

Chrome will not be cancelled.  It very well may turn out that the Hobby release may be one of the lowest production retail releases in recent memory due to anemic pre-orders. I am psyched I have a number of boxes on order and it will be interesting to see what happens upon its release. Lower pre-orders on the Hobby release may mean that the chance of getting a blue or gold bordered card in your box may go up substantially. This may be wishful thinking; but since only about 18 board members have admitted to pre-ordering Chrome ; it may be the case.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #162 on: April 21, 2014, 04:15:47 AM »
Chrome will not be cancelled.  It very well may turn out that the Hobby release may be one of the lowest production retail releases in recent memory due to anemic pre-orders. I am psyched I have a number of boxes on order and it will be interesting to see what happens upon its release. Lower pre-orders on the Hobby release may mean that the chance of getting a blue or gold bordered card in your box may go up substantially. This may be wishful thinking; but since only about 18 board members have admitted to pre-ordering Chrome ; it may be the case.

Or they do their minimum run and the price of boxes drops just like GPK chrome did. 

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #163 on: April 21, 2014, 01:11:32 PM »

I may be wrong, but i dont think they can "load" the boxes. A print run is a print run, and the odds will not change.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #164 on: April 21, 2014, 02:21:17 PM »
I may be wrong, but i dont think they can "load" the boxes. A print run is a print run, and the odds will not change.

Is it not correct that the are 50 Blues and 25 Golds of each title and that they can decide how many base cards they wish to print
for the Collector boxes?   I would think Topps can react to pre-orders and that is why they take them six months prior to the cards coming out.