Author Topic: 2014 Wacky Packages Chrome  (Read 41135 times)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
2014 Wacky Packages Chrome
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »
the info has hit the streets.

It's all 44 die cuts, plus series 2 and series 3. Along with all 36 Ads as chase cards.
Apparently, no numbers on the front, and the original copyright as well.

gotta admit, I'm a bit more excited now. Although they are cards, and not stickers.

the gold super refractor is beyond hideous looking, but things like the Blue Foil Jolly look pretty cool

Past and present collide with 2014 Topps Wacky Packages Chrome. The release takes the original three sets released in 1967 and 1973 and gives them a modern chromium spin. Besides the upgraded base cards, highlights include multiple levels of Refractors, autographs and sketch cards.

The 2014 Topps Wacky Packages Chrome base set has 110 cards. The first 44 reprint the original 1967 set that kicked it all off. These are followed by 33 and 30 cards from the pair of Wacky Packages products released in 1973. The final three cards are checklists.

The entire set has several Refractor parallels. These give a rainbow finish to the cards. Every other pack has a basic Refractor. Blue Refractors are limited to 50 copies each while Gold Refractors are limited to 25. Superfractors represent the toughest chase. Each is one-of-a-kind. All base cards also have four Printing Plates.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:50:03 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

• Administrator
Re: 2014 Wacky Packages Chrome
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:10:50 PM »
more info

Wacky Packages co-creator, Len Brown has autographs in the set. All of his signatures are done on base cards. There are approximately 1,100 signed cards across the product's print run.

Chrome Framed Sketch Cards deliver original artwork from Wacky Packages artists. The drawing is a little smaller than traditional sketch cards to accommodate the frame. 2014 Topps Wacky Packages Chrome has about 2,000 sketch cards total.

The product also has several basic insert sets. With 36 cards, Wacky Ads is the largest. Reprinting a set from 1969, these cards are inserted 1:3 packs. Cutting Room Floor (20 cards, 1:4 packs) takes abandoned gags and sees them through to completion for the first time. Lost Wackys (ten cards, 1:6 packs) follows a similar concept for more cards that were cut. Finally, there are five Where Are They Now cards (1:8 packs) that take an old gag and gives it a modern makeover.

Randomly inserted are redemptions for uncut sheets. Original 1967 and 1973 Wacky Packages cards can also be found.

Estimated Release Date: 7/23/2014
Product Configuration: 24 packs per box, 4 cards per pack
Price Point: Low- to Mid-End Entertainment Card
Target Audience: Wacky Packages Fans, Set Builders, Chromies

2014 Topps Wacky Packages Chrome Box Break
12 Refractors
21 Inserts
96 Total Cards

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »
some more images

Pat's favorite....

series 3

a sketch card

Wacky Ad

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
type examples:

standard foil

Refractor

gold foil

Offline havok77

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 12:31:52 AM »
awesome , gpk series 2 comes out at about the same time

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 07:55:39 AM »
more info

Finally, there are five Where Are They Now cards (1:8 packs) that take an old gag and gives it a modern makeover.

Sounds just like "Wonky Packages"...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 08:42:21 AM »
While these look really cool, doesn't it feel like Flashbacks all over again?

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »

Agreed...and will be overpriced as well...they should also have Art sign some of these as he was the original as well....

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 10:01:48 AM »
As someone who has really become disinterested in the new stuff coming out, I actually am a little intrigued by this set.  I love the box (assuming that is really what it will look like).  The problem I have with it is that for the amount of money a collector will have to spend to complete this set, you could probably buy a set of vintage '67 diecuts!

Of course, I realize that no one can ever complete the set.  Another big reason why I have become so turned off by the new releases.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline 7-Pup

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 10:19:31 AM »
Sounds just like "Wonky Packages"...
Speaking of Wonky Packages, it would be cool if they did an entire set of Wonky Packages as well. Possibly 2 titles from each original series. If not, will there at least be a few released on April Fool's Day like last year? I loved those 4 cards released last year.   

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »
They look quite different than the Gpk Chromes. Digging the packaging more than the product at first glance.  Less chance of me becoming a Chromie now that I have seen them. I will Probably buy three boxes.

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
somewhat, but to me this is so much better, in that the entire run for each series is included.
that's what really bothered me about both flashbacks, they were just such tiny subsets of each series.

and the best part? the smokes and booze are back.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »
I was completely disinterested in this release until I saw this thread. The box is quite cool and the set looks fairly good, though it is basically Flashback with a twist. I will probably buy a box or three and just get the basics on eBay or elsewhere. Thanks, Patrick, for sharing this info!

Offline havok77

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »
the flashbacks were ugly . im realy looking forward to this .

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »
I will buy a few boxes... as these were my favorite series sets.  Although I wouldn't call it a home run, I would say its a solid triple!

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 06:42:16 PM »
The box and pack art is very attractive.  Kudos to the design team, they surprised me!

Not gonna buy any though, but for all my negativity of the concept, I have to say I like the overall design of the cards!  :great:

Offline Kook

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 09:10:59 PM »
As someone who has really become disinterested in the new stuff coming out, I actually am a little intrigued by this set.  I love the box (assuming that is really what it will look like).  The problem I have with it is that for the amount of money a collector will have to spend to complete this set, you could probably buy a set of vintage '67 diecuts!

Of course, I realize that no one can ever complete the set.  Another big reason why I have become so turned off by the new releases.

I have to agree that after losing total interest in the new stuff to the point of selling off all my 2004 & later collection (except a flashback set) I really like these & the box & wrapper. I may pick up a base set on ebay. Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in  ;D

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 05:36:31 AM »
I was completely disinterested in this release until I saw this thread. The box is quite cool and the set looks fairly good, though it is basically Flashback with a twist. I will probably buy a box or three and just get the basics on eBay or elsewhere. Thanks, Patrick, for sharing this info!

Ditto!  I also like that they're using all the titles from each series involved.  Looks like at least 5 boxes will be needed to get the Wacky Ad subset, which I'm probably going to be interested in, so box/case prices will dictate whether I just wait for ebay or actually have some fun killing packs this time.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:38:27 AM by RawGoo »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 06:13:47 AM »
Brad,

Maybe our friends at Blowout Cards will hook us up with a Pre-Order Discount deal. Can you ask them to do something with a Three Hobby Box deal?

Thanks,  Andrew

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 07:00:31 AM »
With all the effort issuing & reissuing & reissuing the same cards in a different color & a different shape , more could be out into new cards, if the present artwork isn't enough for a set, take some amateur ideas. I'm sure someone with an idea for a spoof card would be thrilled to have it published. Look at Gary's work. He would have been floored to have a card done & put in a set.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 07:02:56 AM »
& also I will buy a box or 2  or 3

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 07:08:49 AM »
there is also a pic out there of the uncut Chrome sheet that is one of the giveaways.

Noticeably missing is Cracked Animals - although they claim they have all 44 die-cuts in this set.

Maybe this really isn't the Chrome sheet, but an old image of die-cut sheet

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 07:22:55 AM »
there is also a pic out there of the uncut Chrome sheet that is one of the giveaways.

Noticeably missing is Cracked Animals - although they claim they have all 44 die-cuts in this set.

(Image removed from quote.)
OR RATZ

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 07:32:24 AM »
OR RATZ
Ratz isn't actually visible in this section of the full sheet, only Cracked Animals. Ratz is immediately left of Camals

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 07:47:22 AM »
Ratz isn't actually visible in this section of the full sheet, only Cracked Animals. Ratz is immediately left of Camals

I'm hoping the uncut sheets include all 110 images in the regular set. It would be pretty cool to have an uncut sheet with all the Die Cut, 2nd and 3rd series images.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 07:52:26 AM »

I'm thinking this is an old image of die-cut sheet.  An uncut sheet of Chromes should include series 2 and 3 titles, too.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 10:23:03 AM »
Brad,

Maybe our friends at Blowout Cards will hook us up with a Pre-Order Discount deal. Can you ask them to do something with a Three Hobby Box deal?

Thanks,  Andrew

I'm sure they will. I'll let you know soon.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2014, 04:20:54 AM »
2014 Topps Wacky Packages Chrome Box Break
12 Refractors
21 Inserts
96 Total Cards[/color]
[/quote]

As I contemplate how many boxes to buy I figure from the above we get 63 Base cards, 12 Refractors and 21 Inserts Per Box.
This release info gives no promise of a rare card packed 1 to a case like the Lost Wackies in the last two ANS so there does not seem to be
any impetus to go for a full case. If they follow the GPK Chrome Model there will be 12 boxes per case which is pretty much above what I expected
to purchase so this is good news for me.  There are 71 inserts and 21 per box.

It looks like this for inserts:  Wacky Ads: 36 Cards total - 8 per box.
                                          Cutting Room Floor: 20 Cards total - 6 per box.
                                          Lost Wackys: 10 Cards total - 4 per box.
                                          Where are they now?: 5 Cards total - 3 per box.

Based on the insertion rates  for inserts it does not look like you would score all inserts from 5 boxes.
I now plan on buying 5 boxes and trading to complete my insert sets. I sense the boxes will cost about $65 each so $350 sounds like what I will spend which is a lot less than I dropped on the last few ANS.

Andrew
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:52:09 AM by DrDeal »

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 05:05:57 AM »

I would be curious to know how many titles will come out of this release that have never been reprinted before since the original titles were printed in '67 and '73?  Wasn't there speculation too that the reason some titles have never been reprinted was because Topps did not have a good enough image of the title to work with?

There still hasn't been any reprint of Choke Wagon so far, correct?  I actually hope they never do reprint that title.  We need for a few titles to remain sacred to the originals!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 06:43:58 AM »

we get 63 Base cards, 12 Refractors and 21 Inserts Per Box. (corrected the number of base cards)

It looks like this for inserts:  Wacky Ads: 36 Cards total - 8 per box.
                                          Cutting Room Floor: 20 Cards total - 6 per box.
                                          Lost Wackys: 10 Cards total - 4 per box.
                                          Where are they now?: 5 Cards total - 3 per box.

Based on the insertion rates  for inserts it does not look like you would score all inserts from 5 boxes.

I think you meant to say that it *does* look like you could potentially get them all from 5 boxes. right?
The Wacky Ads are the long draw, taking 5 boxes to get 40 cards, which is enough to cover the 36 card set.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 06:53:24 AM »
I'm officially excited about this set, mainly for the chase cards! The pictures of the wrapper and box show the "Hobby Icon" I assume there will be retail packs. If so, there will probably be additional refractors to chase down, much like the GPK Chrome sets.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2014, 07:57:11 AM »
I think you meant to say that it *does* look like you could potentially get them all from 5 boxes. right?
The Wacky Ads are the long draw, taking 5 boxes to get 40 cards, which is enough to cover the 36 card set.

I do not think you will get ALL inserts from five boxes. I agree that with 36 Wacky Ads the odds of getting 36 different cards from a total of 40 cards pulled are long.  I figure I will need to trade to complete a few of my insert sets. I will buy 5 boxes to attempt to score a few gold or blue refractors and acquire enough inserts so that I will have trade cards to finish the insert sets. It would be cheapest to just purchase the insert sets on ebay but I do not plan on buying a gold or blue refractor for $150 so I hope to score one or two from my boxes.

Andrew
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:59:33 AM by DrDeal »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 08:09:37 AM »
I do not think you will get ALL inserts from five boxes. I agree that with 36 Wacky Ads the odds of getting 36 different cards from a total of 40 cards pulled are long.  I figure I will need to trade to complete a few of my insert sets. I will buy 5 boxes to attempt to score a few gold or blue refractors and acquire enough inserts so that I will have trade cards to finish the insert sets. It would be cheapest to just purchase the insert sets on ebay but I do not plan on buying a gold or blue refractor for $150 so I hope to score one or two from my boxes.

Andrew

I previously mentioned a 5 box minimum because I was taking into consideration trading possibilities.  Absent trading, I wouldn't expect to get all the complete insert sets out of 5 boxes, and probably not even out of 6 boxes.  However, if they do 6 box cases, perhaps there would be a possibility out of a 6 box case.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:14:05 AM by RawGoo »

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 08:12:34 AM »
I previously mentioned a 5 box minimum because I was taking into consideration trading possibilities.  Absent trading, I wouldn't expect to get all the complete insert sets out of 5 boxes, and probably not even out of 6 boxes.  However, if they do 6 box cases, perhaps there would be a possibility out of a 6 box case.
the other topps chrome sets (GPK and Star Wars) have all been 12 box cases, so I fear we'll be stuck with the same. I'd much rather have a 6 boxer!

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »
I am looking forward to this one and the next OS set   :]