Author Topic: 2014 Wacky Packages Chrome  (Read 41528 times)

Offline crackedjerk

Re: 2014 Wacky Packages Chrome
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »
Thanks for posting the info!  Great to hear some news, even if July feels like forever from now.  The one piece of info I'm very curious about is the price of the pack.  I'd love to think it'd be 1.99, but I'm guessing it'll be more like 2.99.  My plans could certainly change as I learn a little more info and I see what dealers are selling boxes for, but I'll probably pick up two boxes and assemble as much of the inserts as I can.

Offline havok77

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2014, 07:17:32 PM »
i messaged tops wacky page and told them to make sure they include garbage can dan in this set . im hoping they listen .

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 02:38:47 PM »
I found two sites today to pre-order this product:

Blowout Cards:                          12 Box Case $739.95 ($61.66 per box)   24 Pack Box $64.95

Dave and Adam's Cards:            12 Box Case $730.00 ($60.80 per box)   24 Pack Box $62.95

Anyone else find Pre-Orders available somewhere else?  I did not do anything yet.

Andrew

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 03:12:28 PM »
I found two sites today to pre-order this product:

Blowout Cards:                          12 Box Case $739.95 ($61.66 per box)   24 Pack Box $64.95

Dave and Adam's Cards:            12 Box Case $730.00 ($60.80 per box)   24 Pack Box $62.95

Anyone else find Pre-Orders available somewhere else?  I did not do anything yet.

Andrew

I still haven't heard back from Danny at Blowout Cards about a deal for forum members. I'll remind him.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 03:47:51 PM »
Considering that there are only four cards per pack (based on the pack image at the beginning of this thread), I would say this might be the most over-priced modern-era set yet.  Even at the cheapest case price listed above, that works out to about 65c per card.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2014, 03:53:22 PM »
Considering that there are only four cards per pack (based on the pack image at the beginning of this thread), I would say this might be the most over-priced modern-era set yet.  Even at the cheapest case price listed above, that works out to about 65c per card.
are we looking at $3 packs? good grief.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
I just put in a 1 Box pre-order with D&A.  $71.90 delivered which equates to $2.99 per pack or 75 Cents per card.

They should have made some of the chase cards with Green Backgrounds.   ;)

Andrew

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 05:19:31 PM »

Andrew
those will be in the retail boxes  :P

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 06:57:31 PM »
those will be in the retail boxes  :P

Speaking of retail boxes;  I am now considering purchasing most of my packs thru retail. Since only the Gold and Blue Refractors are in the Hobby Boxes I may just stick with one Hobby Box and try my luck at retail. Of course for me retail means extreme hunting and hitting the Excel cases at Target. I need to believe I am the first person to touch a retail box in order for me to buy it. No "pack searched" purchases for this guy.   My local WalMart does not get much traffic so I can pretty much know that if I check on a Wed or Thurs after 3 the section will be restocked.  I have had pretty good luck at Target. I don't ask to open the Excel Boxes. I just do it. If questioned I will state I assumed anything "on the sales Floor" is for sale.

If I get a Blue or Gold out of the one Hobby Box fine, If not oh well. The Blues and Golds are so scarce at 50 and 25 each that I feel I will drop $300 on Hobby Boxes only to not score one.

Andrew

Andrew
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:59:28 PM by DrDeal »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »
I just put in a 1 Box pre-order with D&A.  $71.90 delivered which equates to $2.99 per pack or 75 Cents per card.

Andrew

These prices make me miss Lockwood.  I'll probably hold out for now as I would guess I could wait and still find it a bit cheaper.  If not, I'll pick some up at retail.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2014, 08:17:11 PM »

I have had pretty good luck at Target. I don't ask to open the Excel Boxes. I just do it. If questioned I will state I assumed anything "on the sales Floor" is for sale.

When you say "Excel Boxes" I assume you mean the cardboard boxes the gravity feeds are packed in?

That's awesome - kudos to you, way to take the bull by the horns!

Offline havok77

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2014, 09:18:40 PM »
about the same price as gpk chrome

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 02:36:16 AM »
When you say "Excel Boxes" I assume you mean the cardboard boxes the gravity feeds are packed in?

That's awesome - kudos to you, way to take the bull by the horns!

Excel is the company that rack jobs the card sections at Target. They ship their product in big boxes with an Excel Logo. They are taped shut
so you hit them with a key and find your gravity feed and roll out.

Andrew

Offline Swiski

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 04:03:35 AM »
Speaking of retail boxes;  I am now considering purchasing most of my packs thru retail. Since only the Gold and Blue Refractors are in the Hobby Boxes I may just stick with one Hobby Box and try my luck at retail. Of course for me retail means extreme hunting and hitting the Excel cases at Target. I need to believe I am the first person to touch a retail box in order for me to buy it. No "pack searched" purchases for this guy.   My local WalMart does not get much traffic so I can pretty much know that if I check on a Wed or Thurs after 3 the section will be restocked.  I have had pretty good luck at Target. I don't ask to open the Excel Boxes. I just do it. If questioned I will state I assumed anything "on the sales Floor" is for sale.

If I get a Blue or Gold out of the one Hobby Box fine, If not oh well. The Blues and Golds are so scarce at 50 and 25 each that I feel I will drop $300 on Hobby Boxes only to not score one.

Andrew

Andrew

If Topps uses the same philosophy for GPK, these WP Chromes at retail will have exclusive refractors in bonus boxes and those hanging double packs. I don't buy GPK, but I remember seeing cool refractors with a pattern that looked like a stained glass window. Maybe there will be bonus cards to track down as well.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 04:07:40 AM »
Here's a link I found of the official Topps marketing plan PDF file...

http://allsportsmarketing.net/featured-home/adobe/WPChromeProductReleaseSalesPlan_Final_HobbyOnly.pdf

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2014, 04:34:43 AM »
Here's a link I found of the official Topps marketing plan PDF file...

http://allsportsmarketing.net/featured-home/adobe/WPChromeProductReleaseSalesPlan_Final_HobbyOnly.pdf
cool.
Blowout posted the same marketing plan, but lately they've been trimming off the last few pages. not sure why.

as cool as the box and wrapper are, it's blatant that they've taken the Camel cigarette image off of both. Wal-mart friendly, I guess.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2014, 05:07:04 AM »
Excel is the company that rack jobs the card sections at Target. They ship their product in big boxes with an Excel Logo. They are taped shut
so you hit them with a key and find your gravity feed and roll out.

Andrew

I prefer a Swiss Army knife :)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »
Danny from Blowoutcards just got back to me and this is what he said:

We can do $15/off per case for your forum members.  Same rules as last time basically.  You can have them email me at danny@blowoutcards.com and just mention that they are a part of your forum to receive the discount. You can commit to a case with a $100 deposit.

He also said he will be reducing the price of the cases.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »
I'm still on the fence about the Chrome. Maybe it was the whole Flashback thing but this really doesn't excite me that much. I really wonder how many will buy these. Sure there are a couple cool things such as the ads but to get a chrome sticker of the same stickers we all have already just isn't exciting me at all. For some reason I think these will look like the foils and those were hard to see. I don't know if I can justify $700 just for a bunch of reprints. It looks like another swill event by Topps. Please try and prove me wrong. I would love to get excited about these.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2014, 02:27:20 PM »
I'm still on the fence about the Chrome. Maybe it was the whole Flashback thing but this really doesn't excite me that much. I really wonder how many will buy these. Sure there are a couple cool things such as the ads but to get a chrome sticker of the same stickers we all have already just isn't exciting me at all. For some reason I think these will look like the foils and those were hard to see. I don't know if I can justify $700 just for a bunch of reprints. It looks like another swill event by Topps. Please try and prove me wrong. I would love to get excited about these.

You would be excited if they had Patches in the mix    ;)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
You would be excited if they had Patches in the mix    ;)

Yes, those are unique and very cool. Basically with chrome we are getting another border variation. How many border variations do we need? Yes, they are also nice and shiny...LOL
I wonder what they will have on the backs? Maybe it's been mentioned but I haven't been following that close.

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2014, 03:32:45 PM »
Sure there are a couple cool things such as the ads 
really? guess it's just me, I find the Ads worse than Crazy Labels. no desire to pick them up at all.

Offline havok77

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2014, 11:20:21 PM »

my advice is just wait . im sure you will like these . cases of gpk chrome have come way dowm to 400 . those pre sold at just over 700 .

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2014, 03:05:19 AM »
I think once people start pulling Superfractors of cards we love this release will heat up. Having a 1/1 card of 6 Up would be pretty cool...especially if it makes the original card image look like what you would see if you were on acid.  :]

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2014, 06:19:54 AM »

I hear ya man - right on!! on all points!! so at what price point would it be "exciting" for you? $300 - how about the "other" chase items - Plates, Len's sig, etc...any interest? anybody? Topps seems to be diluting the market for Wacky's and losing collector's at the same time...
We are not as naive and the GPK collectors... :] :] :]

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2014, 08:36:52 AM »
cases of gpk chrome have come way dowm to 400 . those pre sold at just over 700 .

That's why I think these are swill also.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2014, 01:32:28 PM »
That's why I think these are swill also.

So I guess we can call those who are interested in this release Chromies or Swill Chasers right?

I bet I will run into some Chromies or Swill Chasers when I am stalking Wally Worlds and Targets for these cards.

I think I consider this release a celebration of Norm Saunders Art. His work IS Wackies to me and to be scoring some
new interpretations of his Iconic designs will bring me back to being 8 again along with feeding my adult collector/ hunter
mindset. The "thrill of the chase" still drives me when it comes to retail Wackies. Finding the product at retail BEFORE
the pack searchers is competitive for me. Posting what I find at retail on this site is part of it for me. Its basically a
sport as well as a hobby for me.  "It may be Swill/ But it still brings a Thrill"  is how I will put it.

Andrew
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:17:15 PM by DrDeal »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2014, 03:26:42 PM »
   So I guess we can call those who are interested in this release Chromies or Swill Chasers right?

I bet I will run into some Chromies or Swill Chasers when I am stalking Wally Worlds and Targets for these cards.

I think I consider this release a celebration of Norm Saunders Art. His work IS Wackies to me and to be scoring some
new interpretations of his Iconic designs will bring me back to being 8 again along with feeding my adult collector/ hunter
mindset. The "thrill of the chase" still drives me when it comes to retail Wackies. Finding the product at retail BEFORE
the pack searchers is competitive for me. Posting what I find at retail on this site is part of it for me. Its basically a
sport as well as a hobby for me.  "It may be Swill/ But it still brings a Thrill"  is how I will put it.

Andrew

Sounds like you have a bumper sticker worthy slogan going but may need to trim a few words... how about simply "Swill/Thrill"
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2014, 03:12:34 AM »
Anyone find any other sites to pre-order this swill?

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2014, 07:03:58 AM »
Anyone find any other sites to pre-order this swill?
are you looking buy out everyone's stock?  ;)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2014, 08:01:11 AM »
are you looking buy out everyone's stock?  ;)
Just evaluating swill pre-ordering opportunities. Swill chasers are known to do that.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »

Kill a bill, chase some swill

Don't just chill, pursue the thrill 

Accept the drill, Spit and Spill

(a no-frill Japanese haiku)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »
Pre-Ordered one box from Blowout Cards: $64.95   + $7.64 shipping = $72.59 / 24 = $3.02 per pack.

Previous Pre-Order from D&A Cards:         $62.95   + $8.95 shipping = $71.90 / 24 = $2.99 per pack.

I may do another one box pre-order from a third source when I find one and I will pick up a full 48 pack

Gravity Feed at Target if they have them for a total of 5 Boxes.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
really? guess it's just me, I find the Ads worse than Crazy Labels. no desire to pick them up at all.
I like the Ads because they expand on many of our beloved Wackys, some in a billboard style. The Chrome may actually be interesting on these. Come on, how can you not dig (pun intended) that skeleton on Metrekill? ;)

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2014, 03:03:47 PM »
As someone who loves the Refractor cards, this is a set that definitely interests me. I can give everyone some basic advice on storage of Chrome cards, though.

You will want to get these cards placed in nine-pocket sheets or rigid card sleeves, or they will otherwise start to warp or curl over time. If you build sets to sell, they'll need to be packed fairly tight so they stay flat.

But the Chrome cards look nice and the standard Refractors are great. Topps has made other variants, which tend to differ in terms of how attractive they are. I've seen blue-bordered and purple-bordered Refractors, which look great, but they've also made X-fractors which don't look quite as nice.

anything