Author Topic: Old Forum Archive ?  (Read 18425 times)

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
Old Forum Archive ?
« on: April 03, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »
I guess Greg's original forum (that replaced Delphi) has had most of the old posts deleted?  Didn't someone say that there is an archive or those old posts somewhere?  I have tried the Wayback machine but it says it cannot find the pages.  But I may be doing something wrong on there as I have never tried to use Wayback before.  Anybody know if those old posts are out there somewhere and where they may be found?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Jean Nutty

Re: Old Forum Archive ?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »
I was pondering this yesterday when ludlowman was wondering if there was a way he could retrieve his walking Ludlow avatar. I thought there was a way to get back on Greg's original forum (I could swear someone once said it is possible), and searched our forum here for info but didn't find anything. I don't  think the Wayback Machine captures and stores message board data, but not sure.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 03:54:04 AM »
I was pondering this yesterday when ludlowman was wondering if there was a way he could retrieve his walking Ludlow avatar. I thought there was a way to get back on Greg's original forum (I could swear someone once said it is possible), and searched our forum here for info but didn't find anything. I don't  think the Wayback Machine captures and stores message board data, but not sure.

I can still get into Greg's old forum, using this link:
http://www.wackypackages.org/wackyforum/login.php

This is the link to get to Greg's new forum:
http://www.wackypackages.org/forum/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 05:39:27 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:59:33 AM »
There were two older forums before the one on Greg's site began in 2004. The Delphi one, which was backed up I believe, and the phpbb one from 2003-2004 which I believe is toast.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 04:31:29 PM »
I can still get into Greg's old forum, using this link:
http://www.wackypackages.org/wackyforum/login.php

This is the link to get to Greg's new forum:
http://www.wackypackages.org/wackyforum/login.php?rand=1086
Actually, Pat, these get you to the same place: Greg's older forum (the one immediately after the php one Dave refers to). Note that the links are identical (except for the rand parameter, which will not effect the destination URL; it's the same page).

I believe these links are correct:

Greg's older forum: http://www.wackypackages.org/wackyforum/

Greg's "last" forum: http://www.wackypackages.org/forum/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »
Thanks for the correction, Tom.  I checked both forums before posting, but I screwed up my cutting and pasting......

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 10:58:37 AM »
I was able to find the "older" forum but when you try to look at old posts, they all say:

Sorry, this message has expired...

The posts are there but the content of the posts are gone.

I am trying to find a copy of the Wacky Pack School Quiz contest that I ran in January of 2005.  I used to have a local copy of the quiz in a Word document on my laptop but I can't find it now.

I have been toying with the idea of creating another quiz but want to make sure I don't repeat the same questions again (or maybe I do want to reuse a question!)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 10:16:05 PM »
I poked around the old forum. With all of the posts gone, and all of the animated avatars still moving, it's a strange wacky ghost town.

I did enjoy seeing some of the old avatars. Let's test this SMF and see how many hot-linked gifs I can fit into one post...

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 04:46:39 AM »
I did enjoy seeing some of the old avatars. Let's test this SMF and see how many hot-linked gifs I can fit into one post...

---------------
odd.
I couldn't see them at all until I did a quote of your message, then they all showed up

Online Swiski

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 06:17:07 AM »
I poked around the old forum. With all of the posts gone, and all of the animated avatars still moving, it's a strange wacky ghost town.

(Image removed from quote.)   

Someone named Rebell Jet created some of those animated avatars. I asked him to make one for me, but he was only on the forum for a brief time and never returned.

Offline Hipton

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »
It was nice to see the old avatars. Is there a way I can add Hipton to my profile? I miss the old forum and I wish the old posts were still intact. There was some bickering, but a lot of useful information is lost. Is Char Boy still active in the hobby?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 04:23:41 PM »
I guess Greg's original forum (that replaced Delphi) has had most of the old posts deleted?  Didn't someone say that there is an archive or those old posts somewhere?  I have tried the Wayback machine but it says it cannot find the pages.  But I may be doing something wrong on there as I have never tried to use Wayback before.  Anybody know if those old posts are out there somewhere and where they may be found?

I spoke to Greg, and the posts all still exist, they have not been deleted, he just chose to remove them from display.

Offline ludlowman

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 01:51:32 PM »
Does anyone know how I can get my old Walking Ludlow Camel avatar back??

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 02:39:13 PM »

---------------
odd.
I couldn't see them at all until I did a quote of your message, then they all showed up

Are those avatars up for grabs? Or do they belong to individuals? Alex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
Does anyone know how I can get my old Walking Ludlow Camel avatar back??
just copy and paste the address of the ludlow image above into your profile page as I show below.
I gave it a try and it worked.

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »
More things going on with Greg's website.  I tried to click the link "Click Here for Vintage Wacky Packages" and you get an "Under Construction" blank page.

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 05:32:26 PM »
More things going on with Greg's website.  I tried to click the link "Click Here for Vintage Wacky Packages" and you get an "Under Construction" blank page.
wonder if that page got hacked. that link and two others are directed to wackypackages.com and not to .org.
The .org/index.html page is still there with all its original series greatness

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 07:11:57 PM »

http://www.wackypackages.org/

When I click on that link and get to the "Under Construction" blank page you are referring to, the address that shows in my browser is

http://www.wackypacks.com/

Which is weird...

There are two other links on the main page that do the same thing, but all of the other links appear functional, except the poster ordering link which has a problem, at least on my PC system.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 06:57:50 AM »
Greg always had both of those domain names. He had it set up so wackypacks.com was the merchandise free site, and wackypackages.org included the merchandise. No idea what happened to it now though.