Author Topic: Original Series OPC Wrapper  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Original Series OPC Wrapper
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »
How does this grab ya?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:51:50 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline BRUTE_88

Re: Original Series OPC Wrapper
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
How does this grab ya?

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow... and the story behind that rare specimen???

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:26:19 AM »
No story at this point...it was obtained by Greg, from whom I got it.

Offline Kook

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:41:54 AM »
How does this grab ya?

Is this a new find? I compared it to my Blue 5c OPC wrapper & notice mine has a Fink can where yours has a Chef Girl can.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:43:41 AM »
Is this a new find? I compared it to my Blue 5c OPC wrapper & notice mine has a Fink can where yours has a Chef Girl can.

Yes, it appears to be a new find. Pretty amazing there's still stuff out there that hasn't turned up for 40 years.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »
Greg asked me to post that he doesn't have any more examples of this wrapper and there is no need to contact him about it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 01:57:38 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 02:03:48 PM »
Yes, it appears to be a new find. Pretty amazing there's still stuff out there that hasn't turned up for 40 years.

Spectacular!!   Wow!

Thanks for sharing.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »
How does this grab ya?

That's fantastic Dave!  Congrats on a great new addition to your collection.

Now, you just need a sealed pack  >(

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »
How does this grab ya?

now that? that is just freakin' amazing.

I always wondered why the Gallery had both of the known wrappers listed as 4th series.
would love to know how the wrappers really worked for those four sets

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 09:21:44 PM »
It still amazing that everything hasn't been uncovered. How could Topps have been so wild with their releases? No wonder people were confused collecting in the 70s. I was only about 9 when I started collecting Wackys and I had no idea what series was what. I just bought what my local store had. I don't remember looking over the checklists. I just remember buying packs and trying to put together the puzzle...LOL

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 06:22:33 AM »

I always wondered why the Gallery had both of the known wrappers listed as 4th series.

Absolutely. I've never been a big student of OPC stuff, but as I look over the gallery and Greg's writeups, I realize that it's
really not clear what order these sets were released in. The fact that the checklists don't indicate a series allows for many
possibilities.

Since a 3rd series OPC pack has never turned up, it sure seems possible that this wrapper could be for that series, and that
it may have been released after the 4th series (packs for which were often found in boxes labeled "2nd series.")  Or this wrapper could have also been used for the 4th series.

The mind boggles.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 06:26:37 AM »

What is known definitely is that both the red and blue Fink wrappers were used for the 4th series, and that the red one was used for the 2nd series.

Conjectures include that the first series used the red wrapper with the "Printed in USA" tagline, and that the 3rd series may have used this Chef Girl wrapper. The fact that the 4th series used both red and blue is kind of suggestive of the 3rd series being released later (with only the blue wrapper). But it's all guesswork.

Offline Kook

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 07:03:26 AM »
What is known definitely is that both the red and blue Fink wrappers were used for the 4th series, and that the red one was used for the 2nd series.

Conjectures include that the first series used the red wrapper with the "Printed in USA" tagline, and that the 3rd series may have used this Chef Girl wrapper. The fact that the 4th series used both red and blue is kind of suggestive of the 3rd series being released later (with only the blue wrapper). But it's all guesswork.

Maybe the OPC karma is changing. Certainly, finding some unopened material would help in clarifying the OPC releases. In addition to the "Printed in USA" wrapper & the chef girl wrapper, after what I would say is at least a 4 or 5 year OPC drought on ebay, there have been 2 fairly active ebay sellers from Canada in the past few months selling OPC puzzle pieces & stickers. I wonder if this is a sign of more to come, or if they may have some info that would be helpful. Have you noticed the auctions from BuzzzardJohn & mattawa over the past several months?

It's also funny how that "Printed in USA" wrapper had been listed on ebay for a couple of years, and went unnoticed. I know I saw it on many occasions, but didn't pay careful attention because it looked like the wrapper I had & the condition wasn't that great, so I glossed right over it. It wasn't until Matt caught the copyright that anyone realized its significance. I wonder how many other clues slipped right by unsuspecting collectors, never to be seen or noticed again? We are talking subtle differences here. When I first saw the post in this thread, I thought "What's the big deal, it's an OPC wrapper." It wasn't until I took my OPC blue wrapper out & carefully compared it to this one that I realized what I was looking at.

anything