Author Topic: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming  (Read 302076 times)

Offline DrDeal

Re: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming
« Reply #210 on: July 18, 2014, 07:56:34 PM »
My sense is that the seller got it from the artist or they would be selling other cards from the set.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2014, 08:34:04 PM »
My sense is that the seller got it from the artist or they would be selling other cards from the set.

That was my thought as well.

Offline havok77

« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2014, 10:40:10 PM »
Previews doesn't list them for next week for hobby, at least not at the moment. So Retail could be 7/23 as previously announced, with hobby the week after

blowout says 7/23

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »

Andrew, that could be true but if you look at the sellers other items, he looks like a pack searcher.  Joe Simko is on the forum perhaps he could chime in and tell us if he's started selling his Chrome returns yet.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #214 on: July 19, 2014, 05:03:11 AM »
I just emailed the seller asking where he got the card and if he had other cards from chrome for sale?  I will report back.  I am at a conference in Keystone Colorado at present with no ability to hit a Targets to check for chrome.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: July 19, 2014, 06:05:14 AM »
Andrew, that could be true but if you look at the sellers other items, he looks like a pack searcher.  Joe Simko is on the forum perhaps he could chime in and tell us if he's started selling his Chrome returns yet.
that was my thought as well - pack searcher picked out the sketch card, and threw away the remaining chrome colored swill

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #216 on: July 19, 2014, 07:12:15 AM »
that was my thought as well - pack searcher picked out the sketch card, and threw away the remaining chrome colored swill

Pack searching spoils most of the fun of finding Wackys "in the wild" for me.........  At several bucks a pack, knowing I have about zero chance of pulling anything special in a Target has kept me from buying packs at retail for several series now.

Offline andyg

« Reply #217 on: July 19, 2014, 05:02:16 PM »
Andrew, that could be true but if you look at the sellers other items, he looks like a pack searcher.  Joe Simko is on the forum perhaps he could chime in and tell us if he's started selling his Chrome returns yet.

I seriously doubt it is a return or that it came directly from Simko. I've never seen a return that didn't have any color.

It was probably sent to this guy from Topps as a replacement for a redemption or for a damaged card. Topps has been leaking cards early this way for a couple of releases to try and create a viral buzz.

Like this Superfractor for the upcoming GPK Chrome Series 2 Set which isn't scheduled to come out for at least a couple of weeks.

The more I see stuff like this the more I realize how stacked the odds are against little guys like me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERFRACTOR-1-1-CARD-2014-GARBAGE-PAIL-KIDS-1-1-LIMITED-CACTUS-CAROL-/261536059736?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce4c39158
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:04:36 PM by andyg »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #218 on: July 19, 2014, 05:21:15 PM »
err, wow. that is one odd list. especially with the inclusions of ANS cards, let alone those '85 cards
I suspect most on here would have a very different looking 'top 25', almost entirely from original 1-8's

Nothing like a well researched article. Good to know Cap'n Crud was one of Saunders' "earliest efforts."

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #219 on: July 19, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »
What a dumb top 25 list. Not really even worth commenting on.

Online bigtomi

« Reply #220 on: July 19, 2014, 05:46:50 PM »
Good to know Cap'n Crud was one of Saunders' "earliest efforts."
Yeah. Frickin' rookie.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #221 on: July 19, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/09/the_25_greatest_wacky_packages_cards.php

I started to type a rant about the stupidity of that top 25 list, but aborted my post because I decided it would be like criticizing someone's taste in cars or music. Maybe 2 of those titles would be candidates for consideration for my top 25 list. My top 25 might include a couple of ANS, for example Spite.

I did learn something from the article. I did not realize the full name is "Captain Horatio Magellan Crunch"            I missed that memo.

BTW, for series like Chrome, Topps could really inject a lot of fun and excitement with the Wacky collector community if they'd let the public decide via website or Facebook what titles to release, via polling. 

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #222 on: July 19, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »
I realize people are entitled to their opinions, but it's hard to respect it when it's baseless. Like this guy carefully considered every wacky ever made. Yep, Yeti Whip is better than every series 1-4 title besides Capn Crud.

Honestly, I think the list is based completely on gags, not the art. I guess if that's what's important to you, fine, but to me the priority is the art and characters.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #223 on: July 19, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »
The ebay seller said he got the sketch from blaster box and that he has other chrome from the box. There is now a "Hot Pack" up so pack searchers got to them first. Oh well.

Offline SuperfractorNut

« Reply #224 on: July 19, 2014, 09:03:26 PM »
What would be the top 5ish cards in this set based on value and popularity.  I am a chromie and just follow topps chrome around.  Going to get a case and I hope it's here on Friday.  Would like to know if I pull any real popular rare ones.  Will post break here.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #226 on: July 20, 2014, 04:02:25 AM »
It's very anticlimactic and sad to have our first taste of what a pack looks like be from a dealer who pack searched. One of us is supposed to score these cards and share what we found. Instead we get someone who only wants to sell us a sketch and a dealer who could care less about the cards.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: July 20, 2014, 07:05:08 AM »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: July 20, 2014, 07:55:02 AM »
and the front of the pack is just a gigantic clear window?  how is that a good thing?     

Clear fronts are the worst!  But, even without that, the pack searchers already have the cards before they've hit retail, along with whatever secrets they need to guarantee a pack has a sketch.  Sounds like all insider info, and I find it really depressing.  I wish there was a way to have everyone boycott these sellers, but I know that's impossible.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #229 on: July 20, 2014, 08:47:54 AM »
If these scalpers plan on buying a bunch of "hot packs" from Target, tamper with them, then try to return them....they are in for a surprise! Target changed their return policy so if you return ANY vendor product, especially trading cards, you can only get an exchange on the exact same item. At least that's what happened to me at two different Target stores when I tried to return some mini figurines last week that I decided I didn't want. Now I'm stuck with them. Oh well. But this should hopefully crack down on the problem with trading cards.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2014, 10:31:32 AM »
If these scalpers plan on buying a bunch of "hot packs" from Target, tamper with them, then try to return them....they are in for a surprise! Target changed their return policy so if you return ANY vendor product, especially trading cards, you can only get an exchange on the exact same item. At least that's what happened to me at two different Target stores when I tried to return some mini figurines last week that I decided I didn't want. Now I'm stuck with them. Oh well. But this should hopefully crack down on the problem with trading cards.

I think it's great Target changed their return policy but I don't feel that will hamper pack searchers. I think they grope all the packs on the shelf and only buy the "Hot" packs. The only way to score "Unmolested" packs" is to crack open the Excel boxes and take what you need.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »
I just checked and both of the eBay sellers with Chrome are from Illinois.  So Chrome is available in Illlinois, apparently.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2014, 02:20:52 PM »
NOTHING HONEST has come from Illinois since Lincoln - It is now the Land of Scam and Corruption - Just look at The Mayor of Chicago and his previous boss in WDC! :p

Offline havok77

« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »
And here we go again......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-CHROME-GUARANTEED-1-1-ARTIST-SKETCH-CARD-HOT-PACK-/311017709746?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

i will defenetly not be buying any of those .  them are a pack searchers  dream come true . i realy hope the garbage pail value packs are not like that. they werent for series one .

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #234 on: July 20, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »
and the front of the pack is just a gigantic clear window?  how is that a good thing?     

Is it clear??  The Vile card bleeds into the red....maybe Vile is Just the front Pic? Promoting Wacky's as "morally despicable"  :o

....man do I have to change my Icon LOL
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:02:36 PM by Rabid Shaver »

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #235 on: July 20, 2014, 05:32:49 PM »
Is it clear??  The Vile card bleeds into the red....maybe Vile is Just the front Pic? Promoting Wacky's as "morally despicable"  :o

....man do I have to change my Icon LOL
Ok I am from Illinois I was able to get some target boxes today. I did see gravity feeds, and the cards are a pack searchers dream come true. It has a clear window on the front and all you have to do is shift each card to see the rest. The only way Topps could have made this easier is if they changed the pack color of hot packs or used a neon sign. If you are not the first one to a gravity feed then do not even bother looking at them. All that is going to happen is there will be mAny unopened gravity feeds and Topps is going to wonder why no one is buying this awesome product. I can not believe the plain stupidity of Topps with this bone head move.

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #236 on: July 20, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »
Ok I am from Illinois I was able to get some target boxes today. I did see gravity feeds, and the cards are a pack searchers dream come true. It has a clear window on the front and all you have to do is shift each card to see the rest. The only way Topps could have made this easier is if they changed the pack color of hot packs or used a neon sign. If you are not the first one to a gravity feed then do not even bother looking at them. All that is going to happen is there will be mAny unopened gravity feeds and Topps is going to wonder why no one is buying this awesome product. I can not believe the plain stupidity of Topps with this bone head move.

Well, hello from your neighbor in the north (Wisconsin) and you have inspired me to check out Target....Viola...an unmolested Gravity feed (24) waits on
the bed behind me LOL (Deep breath) ....only silver lining:  should make set completion easy on the 110 reg issues....just look for your card on front...... 

Offline Swiski

« Reply #237 on: July 20, 2014, 07:08:24 PM »
Well, hello from your neighbor in the north (Wisconsin) and you have inspired me to check out Target....Viola...an unmolested Gravity feed (24) waits on
the bed behind me LOL (Deep breath) ....only silver lining:  should make set completion easy on the 110 reg issues....just look for your card on front...... 

Where are you from in WI and which Target did you hit?

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #238 on: July 20, 2014, 07:23:08 PM »
I saw the previous post and ran to target quick....one gravity feed was there. Wow $3 a pack....4 stickers in a pack..........that's 75 cents per sticker..........I purchased 5 packs............looks like Im done with this series already........too rich for my budget.

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2014, 07:37:10 PM »
Where are you from in WI and which Target did you hit?

the Kimberly/Appleton Target.....breeakdown as follows:

opened 23 packs       (Just can't open the one with Ban-Aches in front)  LOL!!

72 Reg Issues                (13 <---- are refractors)
All three check Lists
3 Where are they now
6 Cutting Room Floor (Ghoul Wilds Cigs is my Fav)
8 Wacky Ads   (Are smaller and very easy to pack search for)

Odds:

base cards: 
refractors (1:2)
super (1:3,415)
Printing plate (1:852)
Artist Auto (1:341)
Redemption (1:7,470)
Buy Back (1:5,025)
Sketch (1:195)
Mix up character short print (1:1,500)
Alter Art Short Print (1:1,500)
Wacky Ads (1:3)
Cutting Room floor (1:4)
Lost Wacky (1:6)
Where are they now ( 1:8 )

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:01:51 PM by Rabid Shaver »

Offline SuperfractorNut

« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
List the odds for hits please.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #241 on: July 20, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »
For those who found them - did you have to dig through the Excell box to get them or were they put up on display already? Usually my Targets in WI are slow at getting the stuff out. I'm gonna be bold and knife open a box tomorrow morning before work to get some if that's the case. If I snooze, I lose. Someone always manages to cherry pick all top loaders at my Targets while I'm working.

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #242 on: July 20, 2014, 08:05:18 PM »
For those who found them - did you have to dig through the Excell box to get them or were they put up on display already? Usually my Targets in WI are slow at getting the stuff out. I'm gonna be bold and knife open a box tomorrow morning before work to get some if that's the case. If I snooze, I lose. Someone always manages to cherry pick all top loaders at my Targets while I'm working.

Mine was on a random shelf with the hangers still inside.....wall was too loaded with other cards right now to hang up....

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #243 on: July 20, 2014, 08:09:48 PM »
I don't know if this has been reported yet but based on an eBay auction I just peaked at, the cutting room floor subset does contain some of the lost 17th series cards!  They were hard to see clearly but at first glance they did seem very cool!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #244 on: July 20, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »
I usually find stuff right away at the Targets near me in WI. Maybe I'm closer to the distribution center? I'll be watching for those Excell boxes this weekend!

Checked out the Target, TRU, and WM in our area today, Nothing with all 3.