Author Topic: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming  (Read 304365 times)

Offline Alexeirex

Re: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming
« Reply #595 on: August 23, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
So I received my Redemption card for an uncut Sheet of Chrome Refractors Base cards from my Ebay purchase today. I scratch off the cover on the code and go to the Topps Redemption site.

The code comes up as INACTIVE on the Topps site. I have contacted the seller and will call Topps on Monday. I was wondering if anyone on here has had this type of experience and how to proceed. I feel that if I mail the card in it will still be inactive in their system and nothing will be sent to me.  I can clearly see the code on the card and did not make an error putting it into the field on the site. I tried a few times and the same results each time.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks back. You need to reach the customer service and they will contact the appropriate department to make the code active. Then wait a few hours and re-enter the code and it should go through. The status of my order is still pending and the website did indicate that it may take a few weeks to process through. Which sheet are you getting?
A

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #596 on: August 23, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
Just wanted to chime in, i really like the chrome release. I don't have many of the early series cards left these days, had to sell them in tough times. I splurged on a few value packs and 1 regular pack. I really liked being able to open up my favorite titles out of a pack, and for the most part i like the way the chrome looks. I then decided to through monetary caution into the wind and buy a hobby box. Again, it was a lot of fun pulling the cards, and i had good luck with the extras(2 gold, 1 blue,  auto).

I will piece together the 30 or so I am missing over time and be happy with the set. I wish i would have had the time in the schedule to do sketches, but oh well, such is life. Love the small format ads, but wish the cutting room floors were a bit more finished looking.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #597 on: August 24, 2014, 08:40:58 AM »
I was a little bit excited by this Chrome series when I got a few packs but that excitement has quickly dwindled out.  They are just way too overpriced.  I still do like the look of the refractors and think they look way better than the base chromes.  But there is no way I'm going to waste time and money trying to chase down a set.

With that said, I am definitely not going to be trying to complete any of the other chase sets so I am offering up what I have here.  Preferably to someone who really needs them to complete a set for their personal collection:

Wacky Ads:
  07 - Blunder
  10 - Boo Hoo
  16 - 4in1 Combo
  21 - 4in1 Combo
  24 - Capn Crud
  29 - 4in1 Combo
  33 - All-Brain

Cutting Room Floor:
(I have to say that I had high hopes for this chase set but the ones that I have seen are a real letdown.  It's like they're incomplete and missing several gags.  Weren't these supposed to have been created from original roughs from the 70's?  I mean c'mon, where's all the Net Weight gags?)
  10 - People Meat
  12 - Ivy Snow
  15 - De-Serter
  18 - Wham

Where Are They Now
  04 - Capn Crud

Lost Wackys
  05 - Nastee Crush

I will be traveling this week on business so if you send me a PM, I may not be able to get back to you until next weekend.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline ToadallyDude

Re: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming... yawn
« Reply #598 on: August 25, 2014, 06:19:36 PM »
I guess you did not catch the fact that Chrome has a 20 Card Cutting Room Floor subset with titles that were proposed for a 17th series and now came to life?  That alone makes it worth pursuing. If they had just released a 20 card Lost 17th Series we all would have purchased it. Having that as part of chrome was what made the series for me. If you are not into the chrome idea in general you can just pick up the CRF subset on the bay and hopefully you will be pleased. Topps still does some things right while attempting to vacuum our wallets from time to time.

I noticed the cutting room floor titles, but if they are in fact really a proposed 17th series, wouldn't they have looked so much cooler in an OS series, presented the way they would have come out in 1978?  It's the chrome look and non-sticker card stock that I have the most problem with.  It's just ugly and flashy and takes away the great colors that Wackys had.  Are there any of the major OS Wacky Pack collectors from the old bunch still on here that actually like these?  It's not a knock on Topps.  They're the ones who produced the Wackys we all had as kids in the first place.  But my point was that just like George Lucas did, they've wandered too far off the cool path.  These aren't really "Wackys" anymore IMO.  They're stiff, shiny, easily crease-able, reprint cards.  Yuck.  I mean, if they suddenly came out with reprinted 1st series titles painted with rotting animal poop on slices of moldy toast, would everyone keep cheering & buying the stuff just because it says "Wacky Packages" on the crinkly, birthday-balloon wrapper?  There has to be a limit somewhere.  The old forum would have erupted with disapproval for these back in the day I'm sure.  I'm just glad that Dave Gross is still keeping it real over there with the OS sets.  I wish they'd get George Wright back, though. 

(No offense intended with my critique.  I check the forum twice a year at best these days, but seeing the Chromes was worth a venting.  They certainly won't hook me back in with these anyway... beyond the $30 I just wasted, that is.  So, they sort of did.  But only for a peek.  ...Hope you guys are all doing well these days.)

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #599 on: August 25, 2014, 11:55:03 PM »
I really like some of the original designs against the gold and blue backgrounds, and some look really good with the reflector feature such as Muller's.
Cracked Animals and others really pop in the atomic and x-fractor format. Am not so concerned that these are not stickers - already have most
of these from Flashbacks to peel and stick. A

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #600 on: August 26, 2014, 05:43:13 PM »
I collect mainly the original series titles as well as newer releases that feature the original titles.  I  like the Chrome,  just wish they weren't so pricey....

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #601 on: August 29, 2014, 08:18:56 PM »
Was scanning in some other items so thought I would add my Wacky Packages Chrome AJERX title set (I know, I know... conspicuously missing a super fractor):

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #602 on: August 29, 2014, 09:14:54 PM »
Was scanning in some other items so thought I would add my Wacky Packages Chrome AJERX title set (I know, I know... conspicuously missing a super fractor):

I like it; very cool!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #603 on: August 29, 2014, 09:35:07 PM »

Scot, that is so cool!  A Ajerx Chrome Royal Flush!  Did you ever complete your ANS 11 'Grand-Slam' Royal Flush?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming... yawn
« Reply #604 on: August 29, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »
I noticed the cutting room floor titles, but if they are in fact really a proposed 17th series, wouldn't they have looked so much cooler in an OS series, presented the way they would have come out in 1978? 

Has it ever been said that this was a definitive proposed 17th series that never came out due to Wackys coming to an end with the 16th series? I thought the binder was created with characters that were found from rejected roughs the Vault found from the 1970s. Then the idea was to make them into a "17th series". I think it's more of an idea than an actual.

I was given Nytol as one four to work on and the rough had a box design for the product that dated to 1971 or so. Since we were making this into a 17th series I updated the box to the 1976 packaging I found. If this was truly from an actual 17th series I don't think the rough would have been from 1971. That, and most of the roughs were by Bhob and I think he did gags only for the earlier series.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #605 on: August 30, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »
Scot That is WAY COOL! Thanks for sharing.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #606 on: August 30, 2014, 08:06:22 AM »

Very nice!  Has that super-fractor surfaced yet?

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #607 on: August 31, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »
Nice ajerx group! That altered character card is better than the superfracter imho.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #608 on: August 31, 2014, 03:40:50 PM »
Very nice!  Has that super-fractor surfaced yet?

If it has, I haven't seen it. But if it does, the cost would probably be tauntingly prohibitive.  :d030:

Offline Swiski

« Reply #609 on: September 01, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »
So my wife wanted to hit a Target last night for Nail Polish. No Targets close to our city so we decided to grab dinner and then hit Target.

I told my wife I would scope out the card section while she perused the Nail Polish selection. I spy a Gravity Feed that looks picked over.

First few packs are searched. Then I started finding non-searched pristine packs which I vigorously finger. Fourth new pack in I spot some gold!

Pulled a Sweet Color Quacker Oats Sketch By Dustin Graham. Very nice sketch which I will be keeping. First Chrome Sketch I have found at retail

via the fingering method.  I purchased a full Gravity Feed at a Target when these first hit and did not pull a sketch ;so I don't feel too guilty about

my fingering activities.  My wife scored two new bottles of nail polish which she is quite happy with. I got a Quacker :)  Glad we went to Target.

Since you bought a full gravity feed, you're excused to finger all you want! ;D

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #610 on: September 01, 2014, 10:28:59 PM »
I finger at the Gravity feed but then all the small kids start looking at me, I get weirded out. It takes some work to push those babies in the bag. I can do only a couple until the eyes look up  :-\ :]

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #611 on: September 03, 2014, 10:56:38 AM »
Great luck, gratz!

So my wife wanted to hit a Target last night for Nail Polish. No Targets close to our city so we decided to grab dinner and then hit Target.

I told my wife I would scope out the card section while she perused the Nail Polish selection. I spy a Gravity Feed that looks picked over.

First few packs are searched. Then I started finding non-searched pristine packs which I vigorously finger. Fourth new pack in I spot some gold!

Pulled a Sweet Color Quacker Oats Sketch By Dustin Graham. Very nice sketch which I will be keeping. First Chrome Sketch I have found at retail

via the fingering method.  I purchased a full Gravity Feed at a Target when these first hit and did not pull a sketch ;so I don't feel too guilty about

my fingering activities.  My wife scored two new bottles of nail polish which she is quite happy with. I got a Quacker :)  Glad we went to Target.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #612 on: September 06, 2014, 10:20:29 AM »

I finally filled out my Drowny set. not as impressive as your Ajerx run, but hit my goal.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #613 on: September 06, 2014, 12:11:54 PM »
I finally filled out my Drowny set. not as impressive as your Ajerx run, but hit my goal.

(Image removed from quote.)

Good show.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #614 on: September 06, 2014, 12:40:53 PM »

Very nice!  I have been working on the same idea, but for Plastered Peanuts - I picked that because out of the x-fractors I pulled, that was my favorite.  Still no gold or sketch though.

Maybe since I pulled a Jail-O sketch card I should try for that.........

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #615 on: September 06, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »

Both sets are great! Inspiring me to do the same with Commie....A

Offline havok77

« Reply #616 on: September 06, 2014, 10:28:37 PM »

awesome . love these !!!

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #617 on: September 07, 2014, 03:07:46 PM »

nice! Gratz! There was a day when that gold card would have cost an arm & a leg :)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #618 on: September 11, 2014, 05:41:39 AM »
Update on my Refractor Uncut Sheet I won on Ebay. It has now been sitting on the "Pending" List at Topps two weeks after I redeemed it online.

Hurry up and wait.

you might see that AFTER OLDS5 comes out :o :o :o :o :P

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #619 on: September 11, 2014, 08:05:08 AM »
Update on my Refractor Uncut Sheet I won on Ebay. It has now been sitting on the "Pending" List at Topps two weeks after I redeemed it online.

Hurry up and wait.

I have a mental image of several people wandering around, opening closets, etc. mumbling to themselves, "Where the hell did we put that thing"?!?

Offline quas

« Reply #620 on: September 24, 2014, 05:12:24 PM »

I'm just about complete for Maddie Boy!
Marc

Offline havok77

« Reply #621 on: September 24, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
i see cases are still at a ridiculous price. i wonder if anyone has actually paid that much for a case

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #622 on: September 29, 2014, 01:58:11 PM »
Just spoke to Topps regarding my Uncut Base Card Refractor Sheet  Redemption for Chrome. I submitted it on-line on 8/27.

I was informed today that their shipping policy is 12 - 15 weeks. My order should arrive around Mid December.

I asked them since the sheet does not need to be created as some of the redemption items do; could they

expedite my order. She will send an email requesting that but can not promise anything. I guess I will get

it in time for Christmas  :)

Andrew

Its almost like they act surprised and unprepared if someone actually redeems one of these. Twelve to 15 weeks shipping is ridiculous in this day and age. Are they training a carrier turtle for the job?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #623 on: September 29, 2014, 02:19:58 PM »

Are they training a carrier turtle for the job?

Maybe Slacker Jack has been put in charge of this project

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #624 on: September 29, 2014, 04:14:02 PM »
A WACKY!! Tree!  :s_cool:

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #625 on: September 29, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »
I am going to plant a tree and watch it grow.  I will name it Topps.

It's gotta be like watching Ditch Boy paint dry.

In sub zero temps

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #626 on: September 30, 2014, 04:07:36 AM »
I am going to plant a tree and watch it grow.  I will name it Topps.

"I am Topps"  (in my best Groot voice)

Offline havok77

« Reply #627 on: October 01, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »
a couple of cases sold on ebay  in between 800 and 900 . still havent seen any sell for the crazy price of 1100 . anyone know if series 2 has been confirmed ?

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #628 on: October 02, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »
a couple of cases sold on ebay  in between 800 and 900 . still havent seen any sell for the crazy price of 1100 . anyone know if series 2 has been confirmed ?

I think Chrome Series 2 was......................(wait for it).............................

CANCELLED!!! :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Offline havok77

« Reply #629 on: October 02, 2014, 10:50:50 PM »
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

anything