Author Topic: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming  (Read 303499 times)

Offline HawaiianPunks

Re: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming
« Reply #561 on: August 11, 2014, 08:18:25 AM »
That case sold for the full asking price of $1399.  I just sold 10 boxes at $70 each.

It seems that at least one buyer is speculating that box prices are going to rise due to the short printing of this series.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #562 on: August 11, 2014, 09:17:03 AM »
I wonder if the Star Wars/Wackys mash up series will be in demand for increase case prices.  I can count from previous threads no one has purchased those.  They are still available through blowout though.

Offline barfwimpson

« Reply #563 on: August 11, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »
I'd heard that set had been cancelled...

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #564 on: August 11, 2014, 12:33:31 PM »
I'd heard that set had been cancelled...
It is still just hear say.  no one has produced any proof to its demise.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #565 on: August 11, 2014, 01:19:51 PM »
It is still just hear say.  no one has produced any proof to its demise.

I can confirm that is has been indeeed - you guessed it - wait for it............CANCELLED >( >( >( >( >( - this from a reputed DEALER!!!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #566 on: August 11, 2014, 03:58:54 PM »
- this from a reputed DEALER!!!
a DEALER of what??  ;D
Skywalker OG? Martian Mean Green?

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #567 on: August 11, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »
I can confirm that is has been indeeed - you guessed it - wait for it............CANCELLED >( >( >( >( >( - this from a reputed DEALER!!!
Again hear say

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #568 on: August 11, 2014, 05:08:33 PM »
That case sold for the full asking price of $1399.  I just sold 10 boxes at $70 each.

It seems that at least one buyer is speculating that box prices are going to rise due to the short printing of this series.

Didn't appear to sell.  It was just relisted.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #569 on: August 11, 2014, 09:13:51 PM »
I did a non-scientific study at 5 Targets I go to- 5 gravity boxes had 30 packs in them when I first counted. In the past 3 weeks- 4 had all 30 still and one had 26. Net total sale for 5 stores is 4 packs.

The demographics for these is anyone over 40+ yet they market these to kids 10 and under at a $2.99 price point for FOUR cards. My 10 year old son even said- RIP OFF! Also he doesn't get a majority of the gags because the majority of the products dont exist anymore- They cant relate to this. With Pokeman and Magic cards around, this gets lost in the mix. Even GPK is a better buy. Remember Targets card section is mainly for kids and they come in and want BANG FOR THE BUCK. 4 Oldy cards from the 60s aint cutting it folks. Bad move by Topps. This should have been an online item like Olds

I for one love to see Norm Saunders masterpieces in a new light as shiny cards. But in a city of 4 million, Im a tiny fraction. Sadly these will soon be on Clearance very soon- you can bank on that.

Offline havok77

« Reply #570 on: August 11, 2014, 10:27:22 PM »
why would anyone pay that much for a case of this ? if there a flipper your probably not even gonna get half your money back . and if your buying them simply cuz you want them for yourself ............ damn your hardcore ....

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #571 on: August 12, 2014, 12:31:50 AM »
Well our targets (4+) are sold out currently, within 2 days of the release half or more of the gravity feeds were empty (and un-packsearched). We were lucky to find a blaster box but it was more of a surprise to see one than anything. I posted this a few pages back after release day. Guess they are more popular around me in the N.East area i guess
My girlfriend and I are Wacky Pack collectors, since 2008

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #572 on: August 12, 2014, 05:27:34 AM »
Well our targets (4+) are sold out currently, within 2 days of the release half or more of the gravity feeds were empty (and un-packsearched). We were lucky to find a blaster box but it was more of a surprise to see one than anything. I posted this a few pages back after release day. Guess they are more popular around me in the N.East area i guess

yea cuz that's where the old dogs live!!! ;D ;D ;D
are they sold out or never displayed at all... :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline bwing

« Reply #573 on: August 12, 2014, 06:55:26 AM »
The Targets around me (southeastern Michigan) have seen significant sales.  Although there are still packs for sale, most of the gravity feeds only have a few packs left.  In addition, I have yet to see a Blaster Box for sale and I have only found one store (I've looked at about 1/2 dozen) with the Value packs.

On a different note, I am completely surprised that Topps.com has nothing Chrome available.  Clearly Wackys get no love there but shouldn't you market your new high end product at least a little????

Offline HawaiianPunks

« Reply #574 on: August 12, 2014, 07:25:14 AM »
Didn't appear to sell.  It was just relisted.
  So it didn't cross your mind that he is selling another case?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #575 on: August 12, 2014, 02:34:24 PM »
a DEALER of what??  ;D
Skywalker OG? Martian Mean Green?

Hey, isn't that a wacky tobaccy reference?!                   :o

Offline Feetena

« Reply #576 on: August 12, 2014, 04:58:04 PM »
 So it didn't cross your mind that he is selling another case?

sure, it's possible he sold it off the bay to save on fees.  I just can't imagine someone paying that much for this stuff.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:01:08 PM by Feetena »

Offline Feetena

« Reply #577 on: August 12, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »
The Target I go to in the Chicago area has a ton of fully stocked gravity feeds.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #578 on: August 12, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
The one I visit, just over the border into NH, has a gravity feed near the registers, along with some bonus
boxes, and in the toy section there were those bonus packs.

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #579 on: August 13, 2014, 08:31:39 PM »
Just spent some time scoping out a pile of basic refractors. There is a time warp factor with chrome. I could have sworn I was 7 for a few minutes just now. Looking at a stack of those images in a new format is so much fun sometimes. It reminds me of why I love this hobby.

Awesome, and for me I didnt get into the hobby unill about 6 years ago, so I only know A.N.S.  I really benifited by this series because.. For lack if better words, chrome is all new for me!

Offline kayakguy1963

« Reply #580 on: August 13, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »
Just spent some time scoping out a pile of basic refractors. There is a time warp factor with chrome. I could have sworn I was 7 for a few minutes just now. Looking at a stack of those images in a new format is so much fun sometimes. It reminds me of why I love this hobby.

Exactly, DrDeal.  We think alike.  I feel the very same way.  Opening packs from this Chrome series makes me feel like a kid again.  Time warp, indeed.  While I can appreciate the opinions of other collectors and why they may dislike this series, IMHO this is (by far) the best retro series Topps has created for us "original" collectors.  Couldn't be happier with the quality, the bonuses, the chase cards, etc.  Kinda wish I didn't have to watch my budget...or I would keep buying them!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #581 on: August 16, 2014, 03:30:13 PM »
shockingly, I found a sketch card in a gravity feed yesterday. the feed had clearly been searched, but I pulled out a few packs to check out anyway. all the cards edges were spread out in the wrappers, as expected, but one of the packs was showing gold. why it wasn't taken, I don't know.
a nice Neil Camera sketch is now in my collection

I just couldn't believe this post when I read it...but the same thing happened to me today! A Target near me put out a second Chrome top loader right next to the old one. All packs inside both boxes looked disheveled and the cards were fanned inside the wrappers. For fun I looked through them anyways, and a gold border appeared as clear as day inside one of them. Score! I got a basic black and white line sketch of Quacker Oats by an artist named Jason Brown (?) Not bad for $3. This makes up for how much I spent on a mini master set a few weeks ago on eBay. Those came down in price considerably. Next time I wait!!!

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #582 on: August 16, 2014, 08:09:40 PM »
Swiski, this is my eighth time sketching for Wacky Packages stuff and you still don't know that it's Jason Brower? Really?  :D

Offline Swiski

« Reply #583 on: August 16, 2014, 08:30:26 PM »
Swiski, this is my eighth time sketching for Wacky Packages stuff and you still don't know that it's Jason Brower? Really?  :D

Sorry, man...no disrespect. I don't keep track of the new artists like I used to. I don't own a lot of sketch cards either.

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #584 on: August 18, 2014, 03:07:22 PM »
Sorry, man...no disrespect. I don't keep track of the new artists like I used to. I don't own a lot of sketch cards either.
No worries, man. Hope I didn't come across as nasty about it because that was not my intention at all. There was sarcasm, sure, but it was friendly. It's hard to read stuff in posts or emails sometimes.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #585 on: August 18, 2014, 03:46:34 PM »
No worries, man. Hope I didn't come across as nasty about it because that was not my intention at all. There was sarcasm, sure, but it was friendly. It's hard to read stuff in posts or emails sometimes.

Are you implying we are illiterate? What do you mean its hard for us to read stuff?!?!?   ;)      (in best amused Homer Simpson voice) English is funny.

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #586 on: August 18, 2014, 09:13:01 PM »

Hope I didn't come across as nasty about it because that was not my intention at all.

There was sarcasm, sure, but it was friendly.

It's hard to read stuff in posts or emails sometimes.

No, you didn't

Yes, it was

Yes, very true

(I'm working on the, "Brevity is Next to Godliness" approach to communication)

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #587 on: August 20, 2014, 01:23:50 PM »
Just purchased an uncut refractor sheet redemption card on the bay. I did not think I would get one but I did.

That should be a pretty reflective sheet of wackies!

Please post a pic. when you get it.

Offline ToadallyDude

Re: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming... yawn
« Reply #588 on: August 21, 2014, 05:48:16 PM »
Maybe I'm a purist, but I have to admit, I'm not crazy about these 'chromes'.  I bought a stack of packs from Target (very glad I didn't pre-order a box or cae), and a bunch of them were irreparably & undetectably bent in middle (because some store clerk probably crammed them down into the gravity box).  Regular stickers or cards are more resilient than these weird, curled, thick-stock ones.  When I opened them, I was shocked to see that all my 3 bucks bought me just 5 cards.  And there's not much difference between the refractors & the regular ones.  It's interesting to see the Wacky-Ads small, but really this is just yet another "reprint set" in a long line of other reprints of the same titles that frankly look the best in their original 1970's state, without art-backs, flashy borders, or goofed-up switched-around titles.  I'm really surprised that all the Wacky veterans are buying into the continuous flood of re-packaged packages!  If ANS-1 had just started where the 16th series left off (set of 30, brand-new Saunders-like artwork for currently-sold products rather than long-gone companies, plain backs, regular checklists, no alt-backs or chase cards), it would have been so much cooler!!!  If it was a matter of the new kids being the demographic for them, and these new kids wanting chases, etc., I'd be fine with it.  That idea sort-of worked for Lucas when he released his Jar-Jar-filled 'Star Wars, ep.1' at the dismay of the die-hard fans.  But I don't buy it with the Wacky thing.  If kids were really the true demographic for these, they wouldn't be releasing countless reprints of old titles.  Today's kids have NO clue what some of these products or comedic references are.  They're only funny or interesting if you were born back when sugar and lead, rather than high-fructose-corn-syrup and BPA, ruined our teeth and brains.  Some of the comedy on the old Wackys even pre-dated our knowledge, but we only knew the gags because our dads & grand-dads used to say stuff like that.  If I want to spend hundreds of hard-earned dollars putting a set together, I'd rather just have an extra 'real' 1st series than the same titles printed on the business end of a DVD.  But that's just me.  I'm OS.

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #589 on: August 22, 2014, 02:23:34 PM »
^ well said

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #590 on: August 22, 2014, 06:40:24 PM »
^ well said

Yes, what Scott (ToadallyDude) posted was well said!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #591 on: August 22, 2014, 07:00:21 PM »
Andrew (Dr Deal), I agree.  I bought the Cutting Room Sub-set and it's great.  A very cool addition to WP Chrome!

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #592 on: August 22, 2014, 10:54:16 PM »
Yes, what Scott (ToadallyDude) posted was well said!

Your attempt of misguidance is noted. I have no problem with other peoples opinion, Actually it was a good read! Some enjoyed the last release, others didnt. No biggie!

I definitly felt that the Dr. Had a more "constructive" approch and posed a good question.

On a different note, any word on the star wars (cancled or not?)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #593 on: August 23, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »
So I received my Redemption card for an uncut Sheet of Chrome Refractors Base cards from my Ebay purchase today. I scratch off the cover on the code and go to the Topps Redemption site.

The code comes up as INACTIVE on the Topps site. I have contacted the seller and will call Topps on Monday. I was wondering if anyone on here has had this type of experience and how to proceed. I feel that if I mail the card in it will still be inactive in their system and nothing will be sent to me.  I can clearly see the code on the card and did not make an error putting it into the field on the site. I tried a few times and the same results each time.

It's a scratch-off with a redemption code, and you don't have to send the card in?  All I've seen is the white card backs with the descriptions on ebay, so I don't know what's on the fronts, and I've been wondering what they looked like. 

Funny when 20 years ago is the "old days" when they punched a hole in your redemption card, if they even bothered to return it to you.  I got some cool stuff that way!

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #594 on: August 23, 2014, 12:50:57 PM »
Oh boy, well if you paid with paypal, you can open a dispute to get your money back if the seller doesnt help. Also try to make sure that your not mistaking a 1 for the letter l, and the number 0 for letter o. That happened to me in the past, the topps Font on the cards is very tricky!