Author Topic: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming  (Read 304435 times)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming
« Reply #490 on: July 30, 2014, 05:58:51 PM »
finaly seeing the bonus boxes at target , but not one value pack yet . wacky chrome feeds are  all empty  in the 3 targets I went to today .

I stopped at a Target in Indianapolis today while there for my daughter's college orientation day. They had bonus boxes and gravity feeds near the registers but the value packs were only in the toy department on one of the aisle end caps. 
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #491 on: July 30, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »
I found this in one of the target value packs.  It was in a penny sleeve and looks like an original.
Does anyone know what subset this belongs to?
There are so many, I have no idea.

That would be a 'buyback', at 1:5025 packs.
Maybe 75 or so original cards inserted here and there

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #492 on: July 30, 2014, 06:13:54 PM »
Hi everyone!
I haven't been on the forum in a while. I found out about Chrome and had to get a few packs.
I really like them, but they are kind of expensive. It always fun to look for them in the stores. Shopping is one of my favorite activities.

I found this in one of the target value packs.  It was in a penny sleeve and looks like an original.
Looks like you got a "buy back" original series sticker

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #493 on: July 30, 2014, 06:22:33 PM »

Its funny that the odds for a buyback are quite a bit tougher than a Superfractor and the buyback is probably PSA5 and worth $2.

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #494 on: July 30, 2014, 07:43:02 PM »
Hi everyone!
I haven't been on the forum in a while. I found out about Chrome and had to get a few packs.
I really like them, but they are kind of expensive. It always fun to look for them in the stores. Shopping is one of my favorite activities.

I found this in one of the target value packs.  It was in a penny sleeve and looks like an original.

You got a buy backback card! Nice job!!
Odds are 1 in 5025 packs!! Thats super rare

Edit: sorry i see now that this was answered, Don't feel bad that it's not worth much I would love to own one of the original cards :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:46:18 PM by LukeDeem »
My girlfriend and I are Wacky Pack collectors, since 2008

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #495 on: July 30, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »
Hi everyone!

wished they would have put some marking either front or back to separate it from a common card.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #496 on: July 30, 2014, 09:41:50 PM »
You got a buy backback card! Nice job!!
Odds are 1 in 5025 packs!! Thats super rare

Edit: sorry i see now that this was answered, Don't feel bad that it's not worth much I would love to own one of the original cards :)

You can. Do you need any original sets? I have some for sale.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #497 on: July 30, 2014, 09:43:36 PM »
wished they would have put some marking either front or back to separate it from a common card.

I wish this was true also.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #498 on: July 31, 2014, 04:47:27 AM »

And its not like we havn't asked them to mark the Buy Backs like they already do in their Baseball cards.  Oh Well. Sometimes they listen and sometimes......

I think there was some concern expressed here at first that they'd be using very high quality cards for the buy backs, and it would be terrible to stamp them with a logo.  Since they're using average cards, I think stamping them would be a good thing.

There's also the possibility that they can't do the logo stamping on the sticker stock.

Offline mallomartian

« Reply #499 on: July 31, 2014, 02:56:07 PM »

That's awesome!  I like those odds.

I never find anything rare. I have a sampling of original stickers from growing up, but never really got into finishing sets.

Now I should look for a blaster box and see what else I might find.

Thanks for all the responses! :great:

Offline Swiski

« Reply #500 on: August 01, 2014, 11:25:54 AM »
I caught a small mistake in the Cutting Room Floor cards - they used the modern packaging for the StarFist tuna parody. Aren't these suppose to be like Old School, where abandoned vintage parodies are finished to reflect the vintage packaging?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #501 on: August 01, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »
For those who are wondering what De-Serter and People Meat for Dogs are parodies of....

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #502 on: August 01, 2014, 12:42:10 PM »
For those who are wondering what De-Serter and People Meat for Dogs are parodies of....

Thanks for that - the People Meat for Dogs parody was really puzzling....A

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #503 on: August 01, 2014, 10:13:52 PM »

From the auction description, this is a "BRAND NEW" buyback           :^)                             ;)                           :]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-CHROME-BUYBACK-ORIGINAL-FIRST-SERIES-CARD-CANADA-WET-FINK-/121399362403?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c43f74363

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #504 on: August 02, 2014, 04:23:15 AM »
And that is the problem with these "buybacks".  Without any markings on it to indicate that it came from the Chrome release, this is just another original series common.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Online bigtomi

« Reply #505 on: August 02, 2014, 08:02:17 AM »
From the auction description, this is a "BRAND NEW" buyback
Cardgary is referring to the fact that it's part of the Chrome release, hence "brand new", not that the card itself is.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #506 on: August 02, 2014, 01:55:51 PM »
Cardgary is referring to the fact that it's part of the Chrome release, hence "brand new", not that the card itself is.

Here is a breakdown of my box I got today:

1st checklist-25 diff.
2nd-17 diff.
3rd-14 diff.
ads-8 diff.
cut floor-6 diff.
watn-3 diff.
checklists-all 3.
refractors(reg.)-12 diff.
blue-3 diff.
gold-1.
lost wackys-4 diff.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #507 on: August 02, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »
I just put my base set into pages today, and noticed that centering seems to be variable for a lot of these cards.  Not huge, like some of the originals, but noticeable.  Also, some seem to have some spotting in the "blank" areas, which I assume has to do with the chrome finish.  Along with the dinged corners I found, it kind of made me feel more like I was playing with original stickers as I compared them.  But, especially at these prices, I would have preferred fresh out of the pack cards to be more on the perfect side.  Charm and character I can get from my sticker sets.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:17:53 PM by RawGoo »

Offline quas

« Reply #508 on: August 02, 2014, 08:26:26 PM »
Finally found a Target today with packs, but they had all been picked over already.  :'(
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #509 on: August 03, 2014, 05:53:01 AM »
With superfractors worth hundreds in the packs and gold bordered sketches in there too it is impossible to find unsearched packs at retail. I don't blame the resellers. Topps made it so easy to do. I would love to hear the rationale for a clear pack.  They could have made the center of the first card visible. Instead they left most of the front of the pack clear so the bottom of all four cards can be viewed with a little manipulation.

Now the only way to find unsearched packs at retail is to open the  excell cases. I did that a few times this week and did not find any gravity feeds. So far I have not seen any Targets get restocked once the initial shipment was sold.  Has anyone seen a restock? I wonder if the low interest in pre-orders on the  collector boxes caused them to scale back the retail release also?

I've seen one restock each at two Targets.  One store had just a single bonus box Friday; the display areas previously used for value packs and gravity feeds had been replaced by GPK chrome, so I'm thinking they aren't planning on any more restocks of Wackys.  I'll probably check again out of curiosity, but at this point, I'm hoping to complete my set through trading.  These are too expensive to buy just for the heck of it.

• Administrator
« Reply #510 on: August 03, 2014, 06:23:41 AM »
With superfractors worth hundreds in the packs and gold bordered sketches in there too it is impossible to find unsearched packs at retail.
shockingly, I found a sketch card in a gravity feed yesterday. the feed had clearly been searched, but I pulled out a few packs to check out anyway. all the cards edges were spread out in the wrappers, as expected, but one of the packs was showing gold. why it wasn't taken, I don't know.
a nice Neil Camera sketch is now in my collection

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #511 on: August 03, 2014, 06:26:11 AM »
shockingly, I found a sketch card in a gravity feed yesterday. the feed had clearly been searched, but I pulled out a few packs to check out anyway. all the cards edges were spread out in the wrappers, as expected, but one of the packs was showing gold. why it wasn't taken, I don't know.

Good for you!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #512 on: August 04, 2014, 04:59:48 AM »
Where are we storing these cards? I stuck some Chrome Logos on the spine of my yellow Postcards Binder since I don't need it yet for postcards. I just completed my Alternate base card set comprised of various refractors and Gold/ Blue Border cards. I purchased the last three cards I needed from Ebay. The rest I was able to trade for on here. I will be assembling an extra set of cutting room floor cards to place in my 17th Binder along with scans of all of the sketches that have been shown here or sold on ebay.

I am hoping we get news on a Chrome Binder shortly. I am concerned that anemic pre-orders on the hobby release will result in lack of interest in producing a binder for Chrome.  Maybe an Artist can comment. I know there is an ironclad secrecy rule regarding WP intell;  but info on a forthcoming binder  should not be in that category of WP State Secrets.

I think I commented on this elsewhere, but going against my previous 50 years of collecting bias at keeping sets stored together, I decided to break this set up... for the base cards and the Where are They Now subset, I have stored the titles from the Original Series 1 release in my first series binder, etc. I placed the Cutting Room Floor subset and the Lost subset in the 17th series binder. Similarly, as I see sketches from the "17th series" posted here and on eBay, have been printing them and placing in the 17th series binder.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:03:04 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #513 on: August 04, 2014, 09:27:23 AM »
I am shocked at how little golds are selling for at present.$10 for a metallic gold bordered iconic WP title limited to 25 made? Is that for real?  If I was going after a gold set ; now would seem to be the best opportunity. This is probably a result of the outlays everyone has made on their packs. I don't have much "Wacky directed" funds at the moment either.  For those going after the golds;  best of luck. There are some bargains to be had.
I am getting Blue's in the 5 dollar range now also.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #514 on: August 04, 2014, 09:54:05 AM »
I sold all my blues for $5.50 each and all my golds for $10.50 each in one sale. I don't plan to collect them so I thought I better just dump them. I got about $400 for the lot.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #515 on: August 04, 2014, 12:15:36 PM »
I sold all my blues for $5.50 each and all my golds for $10.50 each in one sale. I don't plan to collect them so I thought I better just dump them. I got about $400 for the lot.
Damn! If I would have known, I would have asked to buy one of each from you! I think the golds that are selling for more on eBay are either popular titles (Ratz) or parodies with a lot of color.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #516 on: August 04, 2014, 12:45:26 PM »
Damn! If I would have known, I would have asked to buy one of each from you! I think the golds that are selling for more on eBay are either popular titles (Ratz) or parodies with a lot of color.

It was a super fast sale. I wasn't advertising.

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #517 on: August 04, 2014, 05:11:28 PM »
I sold 3 blues for $60 within 24 hours. That paid for my entire hobby box alone, and I still have a gold too.
 I wonder why the prices tanked in the past 3 days, glad I sold when I did i guess

Here is the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181479186610?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D181479186610%26_rdc%3D1

Oh and I will be keeping my gold!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:32:47 PM by LukeDeem »
My girlfriend and I are Wacky Pack collectors, since 2008

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #518 on: August 04, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »
I would think that the different color borders have hit their zenith a long time ago.  Now the thing that most people want is the unique things i.e the plates or the special charactors.  No one really wants the base card sets.  (wacky ad set sold for 11 dollars).  The Len Brown autograph really doesn't do it for most people.  If they would have put a embossed foil on the buy backs everyone would want one.  (I can take a dollar value series 3 card and put it on EBay and say it is a buy back.)  I sure wouldn't buy one of those.  On the Mars Invasion cards there was a foil sticker on them, that made it interesting to go after them.  Everyone really liked the patch cards from last series, there is another example of uniqueness. I in no way am cutting down the whole wacky chrome series, I am just answering the question as to why the price has dropped on the Golds and Blues.  I personally am putting a blue set together and plan on spending no more than 10 bucks a card delivered.  Right now I am purchasing them for around 6 dollars delivered.  These are just my views of what I notice in the market place.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #519 on: August 04, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »
I would think that the different color borders have hit their zenith a long time ago.  Now the thing that most people want is the unique things i.e the plates or the special charactors.  No one really wants the base card sets.  (wacky ad set sold for 11 dollars).  The Len Brown autograph really doesn't do it for most people.  If they would have put a embossed foil on the buy backs everyone would want one.  (I can take a dollar value series 3 card and put it on EBay and say it is a buy back.)  I sure wouldn't buy one of those.  On the Mars Invasion cards there was a foil sticker on them, that made it interesting to go after them.  Everyone really liked the patch cards from last series, there is another example of uniqueness. I in no way am cutting down the whole wacky chrome series, I am just answering the question as to why the price has dropped on the Golds and Blues.  I personally am putting a blue set together and plan on spending no more than 10 bucks a card delivered.  Right now I am purchasing them for around 6 dollars delivered.  These are just my views of what I notice in the market place.

Prices generally drop pretty fast. The reason why they go so high initially is there are a few hardcore collectors that will pay the initial high prices because they want to complete the set. If they waited then they might not be able to complete the set. I don't have time to setup auctions so I just dumped them and have made a pretty decent profit on Chrome, totally threw me as I didn't think it would be possible. It was actually pretty fun but I'm done buying/selling now. I retained a master set with Refractors, a couple sketches, Len Auto, & printing plate. I would have been more excited about the plates if they weren't backwards.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #520 on: August 04, 2014, 07:50:03 PM »
One thing I want to add about short prints. I know everyone hates them but if you can collect everything without worrying about all the various parallels you could actually sell those to pay for your own sets. It wasn't the same before ANS10. I would be throwing money around and not recoup anything. Now I generally make money off each new series and still retain a nice collection. Some can't do that. They get too attached to the rare stuff but I don't mind selling them. I guess I'm not a completest after all.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #521 on: August 04, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »

Which character is your Camera sketch?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #522 on: August 04, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »

Which character is your Camera sketch?

Did you know Fanatical is a pack searcher now?          :]

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #523 on: August 05, 2014, 11:20:22 AM »
Did you know Fanatical is a pack searcher now?          :]

Let's be fair, he's more a pack observer.  After all he didn't do the card sliding he just took a look.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:21:58 AM by Joe G. »

• Administrator
« Reply #524 on: August 05, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Did you know Fanatical is a pack searcher now?          :]
I think we all are - it's kind of tough to buy these packs and then wander around Target with our eyes closed  :P

anything