Author Topic: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming  (Read 304644 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming
« Reply #420 on: July 25, 2014, 05:21:05 PM »
I purchased one Chrome hobby box and couldn't resist opening the whole thing last night.  Now I have to say I love opening packs. Usually (actually, almost always) cheaper to purchase sets on ebay, but the thrill of killing packs just can't be beat.  And I really enjoyed opening these packs. Did I get a super-refractor. No. Did I care. No. Will I ever be able to "get my investment back." No.  It was just fun. Plain and simple. Is this a silly amount of money to spend on fun. Probably.  Do I regret it?  No!

I agree. I just got home and had to crack some packs. It was fun flipping the refractors to see if it was a super. There can't be many hobby boxes produced as you get at least on gold in every box and they only produced 25 of each title. I can't really tell the difference between the chrome and refractors. I actually like these. I think I should end up with a refractor set. Don't waste your mone on eBay for the where are they now and lost. These are really abundant.

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #421 on: July 25, 2014, 05:27:59 PM »
So happy this forum turned around, some great info and great stories to read now! Thanks about the tip of looking at the cash register aisles, ill do that!

I live in ramsey NJ off 17north :)
My girlfriend and I are Wacky Pack collectors, since 2008

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #422 on: July 25, 2014, 06:23:40 PM »
I live in ramsey NJ off 17north :)
We're practically neighbors. I live in Rochelle Park, about a half mile from the GS Plaza.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #423 on: July 25, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »
Just finished cracking my case and this is what I ended up with. I haven't sorted anything so I can't tell you how many sets.
1 - Simko B&W sketch
1- Printing plate - Black Minute Mud
14-Gold
27-blue
No Superefractor

I think I may have a set of Refractors or I'l be really close. I'll sort this weekend and then I can help people out with trades and such.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #424 on: July 25, 2014, 08:19:24 PM »
I put together a pretty cool parallel base card set comprised of a mix of Basic Refractors, Atomics, X Fractors, Golds and Blues. Trying to trade my Basic Refractor dupes to get the 24 cards I need to complete it. See trade section for my list if you need some Basic Refractors.

that's an interesting collecting strategy - and one that's far more obtainable than trying to collect any one type. I may go that route now as well...

Offline Swiski

« Reply #425 on: July 25, 2014, 08:34:38 PM »
I put this in the "Request" thread, but if anyone can ship me an empty box and maybe 5 wrappers from the Hobby edition, please PM me. Thx!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #426 on: July 25, 2014, 08:48:20 PM »
left 2 targets today empty handed . what a terrible feeling. think im just gonna buy some bonus boxes online. but still gonna look out for value packs.

Hit a Target in Muncy, PA. today a half hr. from my apt. They had a gravity feed, Picked up 4 packs, But they had no bonus boxes, I really like the Cutting Floor ones.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #427 on: July 25, 2014, 08:49:56 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Please stop showing this image!  It makes me nauseous!

But seriously, stop showing this.

But actually, my wife found some Chrome at a Target today and bought three packs for me.  The base cards are really cool!  They look great!  They are bright and clean and you can actually read all the gags easily.  These are what the foils from previous ANS releases should have looked like.  Out of the 12 cards, I got one refractor and 1 cutting room floor.  It was #10, People Meat.  I have no idea what that is a parody of.  I like the look of the refractor card too.  I like the rainbow prismy effect.  The cards themselves are pretty thick and sturdy, nice quality.  Reprinting the original diecuts and complete 2nd and 3rd series is really kind of cool too for us original series guys.  I can see it being pretty fun putting this set together because it is like putting together the three original sets and we can do it from memory (no numbers or checklists needed)!!

So I can see myself getting a base set of these and maybe even a refractor set if the prices come down enough.  But I think these other "special" refractors are hideous.  I haven't seen one in person yet so maybe I will be surprised but I doubt it.  The only other negative thing I will say about these is the retail price is ridiculous.  I figure a person would have to spend about $120 at retail to get enough packs to have a real chance of completing just the base set.  Kind of kills the "collect 'em all" spirit don't you think?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #428 on: July 25, 2014, 08:55:39 PM »
Loren, you're right, I'd have fun putting together a base set for this series, but I just cant see blowing hundreds of dollars that I can spend on nice original series stuff. It would be fun, but there's a price point for fun, and this exceeds it.

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #429 on: July 25, 2014, 10:39:41 PM »

We noticed tonight that the checklist don't have black borders, silver border, just wanted to let you guys know that and was wondering if it has any correlation to the Alternate art

Online Joe G.

« Reply #430 on: July 25, 2014, 10:46:32 PM »
Alternate art is a tricky proposition.  It took us months to notice the alternate art in ANS 11.  Luckily most of the people on this board know series 1-3 like the back of their hands so changes should stick out.  Still I think it's interesting that not one alternate art WP Chrome card is listed on eBay right now.

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #431 on: July 25, 2014, 11:00:38 PM »
Alternate art is a tricky proposition.  It took us months to notice the alternate art in ANS 11.  Luckily most of the people on this board know series 1-3 like the back of their hands so changes should stick out.  Still I think it's interesting that not one alternate art WP Chrome card is listed on eBay right now.
Wow now we have to go back through our last series to look for those, can anyone give us insight on what to look for for the alternate art

• Administrator
« Reply #432 on: July 25, 2014, 11:05:21 PM »

We noticed tonight that the checklist don't have black borders, silver border, just wanted to let you guys know that and was wondering if it has any correlation to the Alternate art
right with you.
one of the first things I included in the master checklist - that checklists are borderless images

if the alt art is like ANS11, then a character will be swapped out from the image or some part of the artwork has changed

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #433 on: July 25, 2014, 11:09:11 PM »
K thanks, i didnt even know ans 11 had them... Gotta dig the extras outta the closet.

Friday night wackys!

• Administrator
« Reply #434 on: July 25, 2014, 11:16:22 PM »
K thanks, i didnt even know ans 11 had them... Gotta dig the extras outta the closet.

Friday night wackys!

finally found the thread with the pictures of the ANS11 'C' cards

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=3420.msg66729#msg66729

Offline LukeDeem

« Reply #435 on: July 25, 2014, 11:20:06 PM »
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 03:02:22 PM by LukeDeem »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #436 on: July 26, 2014, 08:35:18 AM »
Please stop showing this image!  It makes me nauseous!

But seriously, stop showing this.

But actually, my wife found some Chrome at a Target today and bought three packs for me.  The base cards are really cool!  They look great!  They are bright and clean and you can actually read all the gags easily.  These are what the foils from previous ANS releases should have looked like.  Out of the 12 cards, I got one refractor and 1 cutting room floor.  It was #10, People Meat.  I have no idea what that is a parody of.  I like the look of the refractor card too.  I like the rainbow prismy effect.  The cards themselves are pretty thick and sturdy, nice quality.  Reprinting the original diecuts and complete 2nd and 3rd series is really kind of cool too for us original series guys.  I can see it being pretty fun putting this set together because it is like putting together the three original sets and we can do it from memory (no numbers or checklists needed)!!

So I can see myself getting a base set of these and maybe even a refractor set if the prices come down enough.  But I think these other "special" refractors are hideous.  I haven't seen one in person yet so maybe I will be surprised but I doubt it.  The only other negative thing I will say about these is the retail price is ridiculous.  I figure a person would have to spend about $120 at retail to get enough packs to have a real chance of completing just the base set.  Kind of kills the "collect 'em all" spirit don't you think?

You are right. After opening a case I don't have that many cards. I spent $675 and I may have a few (maybe 3-4)base sets and possibly one refractor set. I got one printing plate and one sketch. A person is much better off waiting a bit and buying them cheap on ebay. Others might think the way I do and the sellers may not assemble that many sets. Who knows? If I wanted to sell the contents of my case I don't know if I could even recoup 1/3 of my money.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #437 on: July 26, 2014, 12:03:50 PM »
I really don't know how I feel about these cards...yet.

Two collectors boxes later and I ended with four blues and three golds (Ratz, Log Cave In and Vile). Unless I am incorrect in what separates the collectors boxes from the others, I'm not nearly as pleased as I was with the previous two series' collectors boxes.

• Administrator
« Reply #438 on: July 26, 2014, 12:10:16 PM »
I really don't know how I feel about these cards...yet.

Two collectors boxes later and I ended with four blues and three golds (Ratz, Log Cave In and Vile). Unless I am incorrect in what separates the collectors boxes from the others, I'm not nearly as pleased as I was with the previous two series' collectors boxes.
I don't believe there are Collector boxes this time around, just Hobby and Retail boxes.

Hobby has blue and golds, retail does not. Beyond that, no difference.

Offline cddx

« Reply #439 on: July 26, 2014, 12:26:12 PM »
I can't see to figure out the difference between the regular chromes and the reflactors. Can anyone advise?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #440 on: July 26, 2014, 12:31:09 PM »
I can't see to figure out the difference between the regular chromes and the reflactors. Can anyone advise?

The refractors are less shiny/mirrorish than the regular chromes, and have an almost rainbow like effect to them when you tilt them.  Also, on the backs, the top right corner says "Refractor" (except for the three checklists, where "Refractor" is noted at the bottom right on the back of the checklist).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:33:33 PM by RawGoo »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #441 on: July 26, 2014, 12:36:40 PM »
I don't believe there are Collector boxes this time around, just Hobby and Retail boxes.

Apparently, from what I have read elsewhere, the Hobby boxes do not contain the Lost subset cards. Can any of the Hobby case buyers confirm?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #442 on: July 26, 2014, 12:48:19 PM »
Apparently, from what I have read elsewhere, the Hobby boxes do not contain the Lost subset cards. Can any of the Hobby case buyers confirm?
My Hobby box had Lost Wackys.  Also gold and blue refractors, as confirmation that the box I got was indeed a Hobby box.

• Administrator
« Reply #443 on: July 26, 2014, 12:56:04 PM »
not to be confused with the real altered art cards -
but the Ultra Blight is again the Wacky Ad version and not the 2nd series version
same as was seen in the Shedd's set and in Wacky Book #1

the easy giveaway is the little blue square in the crimped end of the tube, only in the Ad

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #444 on: July 26, 2014, 01:06:27 PM »

These boxes are the same thing as the past collectors boxes and marketed as something special compared to what is available at retail. Lets not forget the cost of each box.

What is the saying about putting lipstick on a pig?

• Administrator
« Reply #445 on: July 26, 2014, 01:16:20 PM »
not to be confused with the real altered art cards -
but the Ultra Blight is again the Wacky Ad version and not the 2nd series version
same as was seen in the Shedd's set and in Wacky Book #1

the easy giveaway is the little blue square in the crimped end of the tube, only in the Ad
actually, all the errors from the Coffee Table book are in this printing -
  • replacement lettering on Hostage
  • wrong Ultra Blight
  • Capn Crud missing shading
  • Hawaiian Punks with touched up hand

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #446 on: July 26, 2014, 02:44:48 PM »
actually, all the errors from the Coffee Table book are in this printing -
  • replacement lettering on Hostage
  • wrong Ultra Blight
  • Capn Crud missing shading
  • Hawaiian Punks with touched up hand

I know - sucks, doesn't it?

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #447 on: July 26, 2014, 03:38:18 PM »
I know - sucks, doesn't it?
I thought of you Pat when I saw the Cap'n Crud without the shading.  :'(

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #448 on: July 27, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »
$19.99.

Thanks!  I paid more than that when I pre-ordered.  Geez, glad I bought just one box.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #449 on: July 27, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »
Thanks, I envy your case! I love the thrill of the search - driving around on realease day... Walking through thoes target doors with my eyes glued to the trading card section, blasting past all the cash registers, on a mission. then the excitement as I get closer and closer realizing that I see a red gravity box from far away, and they have the new wackys!

Luck has it that my girlfriend shares the same experience along side me. And all this excitement, before even opening anything... Put it this way, i spend about $100 at the gas pump, $100's more at the grocery mart weekly, spending less than that about 2wce a year puts thing in perspective. Work hard, play hard, i feel like its a great little hobby.

Guarantee you wont get that kind of excitement buying opened sets on ebay months later. But listen i respect other peoples views, just trying to express there is other excitement to be had before ripping packs open :)

I like how you describe the experience as that is how I feel too.  I do watch (or try to) what I spend and like a bargain as much as anybody, but the thrill is indeed a big part of it for me.  If I just bought a set in 3 months for far less, I feel like I'd be missing out on a legitimately important part of all this collecting I do.  Might not make logical sense, but lots in life doesn't.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #450 on: July 27, 2014, 10:22:17 AM »
Thanks guys, The response from the target employes that I have received is that the "vender" controls that section , so like you said.. No help.

I was fortunate to find a sealed box from Excell right not to a girl wearing a "new employee" name tag.  The store had value packs but no gravity feed.  I felt uncomfortable opening the Excell box with her standing right there, so I asked her to open it.  Sure did so willingly and, sure enough, there was a full gravity feed inside.  Nice when it works out in your favor.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #451 on: July 27, 2014, 10:45:57 AM »
My Hobby box had Lost Wackys.  Also gold and blue refractors, as confirmation that the box I got was indeed a Hobby box.

Do the retail and hobby boxes look identical?  I would assume there are different code numbers.  How many gold and blue refractors per hobby box?

• Administrator
Toys R Us "Ripoff", I mean, "Value" Pack
« Reply #452 on: July 27, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »
Found the so-called "Value Pack" at Toys R Us.

not only does TRU constantly overcharge for their crap - in this case 12.99 for a 9.99 pack, but the packs themselves are pointless.

Instead of 4 Atomic Refractor bonus cards as an incentive, get this, the bonus cards are friggin' BASE cards.
yeah. BASE Cards!!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #453 on: July 27, 2014, 12:18:23 PM »
That is total crap!!!

• Administrator
« Reply #454 on: July 27, 2014, 12:19:03 PM »
Do the retail and hobby boxes look identical?  I would assume there are different code numbers.  How many gold and blue refractors per hobby box?
nope, not at all alike. The Hobby are 3-wide and the Retail are 2-wide.

hobby box averages about 2 blue and 1 gold per box.

sorry, the linked images below are HUGE

[expando]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5NVgxNjAw/z/JmAAAOSwVFlT1E7O/$_57.JPG[/expando]
[expando]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/7YEAAOSwPe1Tz~JC/$_57.JPG[/expando]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:57:28 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

anything