Author Topic: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming  (Read 301437 times)

Offline crackedjerk

Re: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2014, 02:02:30 PM »
I guess I'd like to hear the flip side from those eager for the set. What's the appeal?

My initial reaction to the news of the Chrome set was positive.  However, at the same time and especially upon further review, I have questions.  The answers to the questions will go a long way to determining how excited I get.

*How expensive will the series be?  A $3 pack with 6 cards I can handle.  A $5 pack with 4 cards may make me skip buying any packs/boxes and just hold out for a set.

*What will the inserts be?  Cool ones like patches and magnets or crappy ones (IMO) like colored borders.

*What images will be included?  Sure, I do feel a bit ripped off if it's entirely the same old ones we've seen before.  However, I gotta admit that I have a pretty high threshold for Gadzooka, Crust, Kook-Aid, etc.  Were it to be ANS titles, especially the more recent ones marked by their obsession with bodily fluids and functions, I'll pass entirely.

Since so little info is available at this point, I have a hard time making a judgment about how good or bad this series will be.  However, I'll remain cautiously optimistic until I learn more.

Offline havok77

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2014, 08:40:07 PM »
The gpk chrome cards were nice but they were cards, not stickers. The same thing will prob happen here. They will be overproduced. highly praised by dealers who will sell these for a premium when they first come out.

You should all pass and wait for a few months after release when prices will dip to 5-10$ a set. The same happened with GPK's after original sets sold for 80$ pre-release.

Be patient.

but we dont know that for sure.  sometimes  price gos up shortly after release some times it gos down .

Offline quas

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 07:47:13 AM »
This is like flashback all over again and I won't partake. It will probably be the same titles. I'll just buy a set on eBay and be done.

Ditto.  And if I ever see a chrome version of the most over-reproduced Wacky titles like Ajerx, Koduck, Quacker Oats, Gadzooka, etc., I'll probably gag....
Marc

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 09:14:41 AM »
This is like flashback all over again and I won't partake. It will probably be the same titles. I'll just buy a set on eBay and be done.

Ditto.....

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 10:17:01 AM »
My fear is that if this series doesn't do well Topps will misinterpret the failure as meaning there is no interest in new Wackys.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »
My fear is that if this series doesn't do well Topps will misinterpret the failure as meaning there is no interest in new Wackys.
hopefully that won't be the case.
if both OLDS 5 and 2014 Series 1 sell well, and chrome lays there like a dog in the warehouses, Topps should be able to interpret that as consumers not wanting gimmicks, but actual new product.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2014, 04:54:45 PM »
.  A $5 pack with 4 cards may make me skip buying any packs/boxes and just hold out for a set.

Does anyone know how much a pack of GPK Chrome sold for? I know there were only 4 cards per pack.

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2014, 06:22:35 PM »
.  A $5 pack with 4 cards may make me skip buying any packs/boxes and just hold out for a set.

Does anyone know how much a pack of GPK Chrome sold for? I know there were only 4 cards per pack.
$3 retail (says 2.99 on the gravity feed box.
They'd be a little less through dealers

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2014, 06:50:53 PM »
Ditto.  And if I ever see a chrome version of the most over-reproduced Wacky titles like Ajerx, Koduck, Quacker Oats, Gadzooka, etc., I'll probably gag....

There are still a few early titles that they haven't over-reproduced like Fearstone, Guerrilla Milk, Melty Way and the like....I'd like to see Muller and Schlitz again, but you know how they are about liquor parodies....
Alex

Offline WPcollector

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2014, 06:53:48 PM »
but we dont know that for sure.  sometimes  price gos up shortly after release some times it gos down .

That never happened for gpk's after flashback s1 though. Ever release since has seen prices drop. Chrome presells went for 800-1000$ prior to release. Now they are selling for around 400$ for a hobby box. DA cards is selling blaster boxes for about 4$ a box... (they were 20$)

Offline havok77

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2014, 08:53:11 PM »
400 for a case . and your right  about the price drops. gpk flashback one  sells for $$$$ . but once again  with any card release you just dont know what will happen after release . i havent pre ordered any gpk this time around.  series 3 was a disaster .

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2014, 04:09:11 PM »
Beginning to work on a war chest to be used to acquire some of these chrome cards. Need to sell a few things to acquire the funds.

Maybe Brad can work his magic with Blowout Cards for a forum discount.  :-[

Offline havok77

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »
that would be sweet

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2014, 04:00:58 AM »
Below are the refractor details for the upcoming May release of Star Wars Chrome:

Standard Refractor (1 Per Pack)

Prism Refractor (numbered to 199)

X-Fractor (numbered to 99)

Gold Refractor (numbered to 50)

Superfractor (1/1).

Below are refractor details for GPK Chrome:

Basic Refractors (1:3 packs) - parallel the base set and feature distinct rainbow shimmer background

Prism (1:199 packs)

X Fractor (1 per Blaster Box - 50 Made per title)

Gold (50 per card)

SuperFractor (1/1)

So it looks like there is a pattern to the Chrome releases. Just trying to get a sense of what is coming prior to the official announcement.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:12:57 AM by DrDeal »

Offline havok77

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2014, 09:35:14 AM »
cant wait to see the sell sheet for wacky chrome . should be soon .

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2014, 05:03:02 PM »
I wish I knew what all the different types of refractors even meant....  :confuse:

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2014, 08:12:22 AM »
I wish I knew what all the different types of refractors even meant....  :confuse:

yea..what is a superfractor - is that like a mirror?? so you can't see the artwork??

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2014, 09:22:52 AM »
yea..what is a superfractor - is that like a mirror?? so you can't see the artwork??

I think I saw one on MARY POPPINS... superfractor-calilisticexpialidocious
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2014, 11:23:22 AM »
I think I saw one on MARY POPPINS... superfractor-calilisticexpialidocious

that's the ticket!!

Offline WPcollector

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 02:43:07 PM »
400 for a case . and your right  about the price drops. gpk flashback one  sells for $$$$ . but once again  with any card release you just dont know what will happen after release . i havent pre ordered any gpk this time around.  series 3 was a disaster .

right, meant case. Smart move waiting on preorders. It's been pretty easy to predict gpk sales up until now. Until Topps changes their formula, 2014 s1 and chrome s2 won't be any different.

Wacky packages collectors will that out the hard way if they go all in like many gpk collectors did.

That being said, after seeing the 75th anniversary foil (base chrome) cards in hand, i do think this set will be just as nice and def do agree that people should pick up at least a base set when prices drop months after release.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »
right, meant case. Smart move waiting on preorders. It's been pretty easy to predict gpk sales up until now. Until Topps changes their formula, 2014 s1 and chrome s2 won't be any different.

Wacky packages collectors will that out the hard way if they go all in like many gpk collectors did.

That being said, after seeing the 75th anniversary foil (base chrome) cards in hand, i do think this set will be just as nice and def do agree that people should pick up at least a base set when prices drop months after release.

Can a GPK enthusiast comment on how much boxes/ cases of GPK Chrome were on Pre-Order and then what they sold for Two Months after release?  Trying to figure out a strategy. I don't know if I could wait two months or if I would be comfortable taking the chance that product will not sell out; but I would like more info on what happened with GPK Chrome.

Offline havok77

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 09:30:32 PM »
realy hoping garbage can dan makes it into chrome

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 10:56:13 PM »
realy hoping garbage can dan makes it into chrome

I never got into GPKs. I quit collecting Wackys after the rerun series 2. I guess at the time I had no money, trying to make ends meet, and trying to hook up with women. The nights without women we had a Commodore 128 to play games. It was pretty primitive by today's standards but we didn't know any different. I roomed with 3 other guys and some weekends got pretty out of hand. We never knew who would show up. It was some pretty fun times after the bars would close and people would head over to our place. For some reason everyone seemed to come over to our place. Anyway, just reminiscing while I try to figure out why I quit collecting back then. It all makes sense now...HaHa

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2014, 07:30:38 AM »

Refractor finding pleasure ratings:

Standard:      Mild pleasurable feelings
Prism:           Heightened feeling of happiness
X Fractor:      Since these will come from Blaster Boxes -Moderate pleasure mixed with feelings of "is this worth the price of this box?"
Gold Fractor:  Intense euphoria upon coming upon one of these
Superfractor:  Overwhelming rush of adrenalin coupled with rapid heart beat and mild confusion upon finding one of these. Followed by Happy Dance.  Followed by the need to find another one of a title you like more.     ;)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2014, 07:55:59 AM »

X Fractor:      Since these will come from Blaster Boxes -Moderate pleasure mixed with feelings of "is this worth the price of this box?"
Superfractor:  Overwhelming rush of adrenalin coupled with rapid heart beat and mild confusion upon finding one of these. Followed by Happy Dance.  Followed by the need to find another one of a title you like more.     ;)

;D ;D

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2014, 09:00:48 AM »

For all opening that about sums it up.   :]

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2014, 12:17:57 PM »
I, for one, enjoy Dr Deal's enthusiasm about all things Wacky.  In terms of the Chrome series, I'm happy to wait and see as they could be pretty cool!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2014, 01:45:37 PM »
I, for one, enjoy Dr Deal's enthusiasm about all things Wacky.  In terms of the Chrome series, I'm happy to wait and see as they could be pretty cool!

The Happy Dance really made me laugh  :D

Offline andyg

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2014, 02:28:06 PM »
Can a GPK enthusiast comment on how much boxes/ cases of GPK Chrome were on Pre-Order and then what they sold for Two Months after release?  Trying to figure out a strategy. I don't know if I could wait two months or if I would be comfortable taking the chance that product will not sell out; but I would like more info on what happened with GPK Chrome.

See picture in below link for one example of a GPK Chrome preorder.

http://instagram.com/p/dfeLqQwPPK/

Offline MadMike

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2014, 01:22:54 PM »
That is insane!

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »
I could pay off my car with what he spent there.  :o   >(

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
See picture in below link for one example of a GPK Chrome preorder.

http://instagram.com/p/dfeLqQwPPK/

Wow!  All I could think about was that scene from Willy Wonka (the old one) where the girl's dad had a factory opening thousands of candy bars!  ;D

That is quite a haul.  I am seriously impressed! (even though I don't collect GPK)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
Wow!  All I could think about was that scene from Willy Wonka (the old one) where the girl's dad had a factory opening thousands of candy bars!  ;D

That is quite a haul.  I am seriously impressed! (even though I don't collect GPK)

Probably a dealer's order.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2014, 07:18:19 AM »
Promo Sheet ....Soon....Hopefully.... Probably.....Possibly   :^)

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2014, 08:42:54 AM »
Promo Sheet ....Soon....Hopefully.... Probably.....Possibly   :^)
promo material seems to get released about 4 months before product release, so there should be something in a few weeks for a June product