Author Topic: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming  (Read 304340 times)

Offline Jean Nutty

Re: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming
« Reply #315 on: July 22, 2014, 06:03:21 PM »
Busted finger super sold for 550$ off ebay.

Is this the auction you are referring to? When I click on the link it says it sold for $1,299.99        maybe I'm missing something     

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-CHROME-Superfractor-1-1-BUSTEDFINGER-Refractor-SP-SSP-/271555276075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f39f4ad2b

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #316 on: July 22, 2014, 07:25:54 PM »

"Retail pack odds
If hobby odds are the same for superfractors then there are about 1300 cases. I hope hobby has better odds but 1300 cases is not unbelievable.

Only guarantee one sketch per case with these odds. Not good.

base cards:
refractors (1:2)
super (1:3,415)
Printing plate (1:852)
Artist Auto (1:341)
Redemption (1:7,470)
Buy Back (1:5,025)
Sketch (1:195)
Mix up character short print (1:1,500)
Alter Art Short Print (1:1,500)
Wacky Ads (1:3)
Cutting Room floor (1:4)
Lost Wacky (1:6)
Where are they now ( 1:8) "

So what are "mix up character" and "alter art"?  I don't recall hearing those two terms before.

By the way, of the three Targets I went to in/around Madison, WI, two had gravity feeds and one (unless I missed it) had the Value packs.  I counted 24 packs in both gravity boxes.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #317 on: July 22, 2014, 07:26:06 PM »
The auction was ended, the sale was not through eBay.

Offline SuperfractorNut

« Reply #318 on: July 22, 2014, 07:40:01 PM »
Is this the auction you are referring to? When I click on the link it says it sold for $1,299.99        maybe I'm missing something     

It sold off ebay for 550$.

Offline Tylerg30

« Reply #319 on: July 22, 2014, 08:18:44 PM »
Since everybody is searching out the retail packs, hopefully the hobby only refractors will get some better $ on ebay.  Getting a few cases tomorrow, if anybody is looking for something out of the hobby boxes, just let me know.

Offline havok77

« Reply #320 on: July 22, 2014, 11:37:30 PM »
Here's a photo of the value packs. It has a window large enough to fan the packs to see just the edge of the refractors.

ok those look better. even if you can see through the wrapper and figure out the first card in the pack . but if thats the value pack ? which is the one that you can see right through it ?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: July 23, 2014, 01:06:10 AM »
So what are "mix up character" and "alter art"?  I don't recall hearing those two terms before.

these would be like the 'C' cards from ANS11.
for that set there were 3 of the base cards where tiny changes in the art were made (and they had different backs too)
for example, the borderlands card had a Mars Attack martian inserted into the art.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #322 on: July 23, 2014, 03:25:21 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the Blue and Gold Border Hobby Exclusives. I think I have seen most of the base set now by perusing Ebay.

Also,  The cards look VERY cool in Chrome. While it is frustrating to only see them onlinbe for now, its still pretty cool to see them in a new light.

Wacky's Live in 2014!  Hoping to score some at Target today.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:40:44 AM by DrDeal »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #323 on: July 23, 2014, 05:23:32 AM »
ok those look better. even if you can see through the wrapper and figure out the first card in the pack . but if thats the value pack ? which is the one that you can see right through it ?

The outer wrapper itself has a window. The packs inside are a different design without a window. I hope the hobby pack design is the one that looks like the 1967 die-cuts wrapper (large logo).

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #324 on: July 23, 2014, 07:51:32 AM »

Also,  The cards look VERY cool in Chrome. While it is frustrating to only see them onlinbe for now, its still pretty cool to see them in a new light.

I couldn't disagree more, I think they look awful. But that's what makes the world go 'round, enjoy!

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: July 23, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »
the packs that are just a giant window I believe are the retail packs showing up in blaster boxes and maybe the gravity feeds too

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #326 on: July 23, 2014, 09:28:27 AM »
these would be like the 'C' cards from ANS11.
for that set there were 3 of the base cards where tiny changes in the art were made (and they had different backs too)
for example, the borderlands card had a Mars Attack martian inserted into the art.

Interesting.  Thanks for the info!  I recall hearing about the "C" cards for ANS11, but didn't pay attention as it wasn't going to be something I was going to pursue.

Offline SuperfractorNut

« Reply #327 on: July 23, 2014, 09:57:50 AM »
Panini is going to annouce they are NFL exclusive at the national.  There is also a rumor of them buying out either Topps or Upper Deck.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #328 on: July 23, 2014, 01:01:51 PM »
I'm traveling on Biz in Bismarck, ND. Went to the only Target and the feed was empty. :'(

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #329 on: July 23, 2014, 01:13:56 PM »
Hit a Target in PA. Found two untouched Excel boxes. Cracked them........Lots of Magic The gathering Stuff. No Wackies   ...  Tomorrow.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #330 on: July 23, 2014, 01:47:52 PM »
No Wacky Chromes in No California yet! A

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #331 on: July 23, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »
Found them at Target this afternoon.  Have only opened a few packs, but so far, to my thinking, these seem overpriced for what they are.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #332 on: July 23, 2014, 03:37:34 PM »
Hit the Target in Watertown, MA - cleaned them out of 24 packs and 3 bonus boxes. I enjoy cracking packs! The images are all classic but I'm not sure there's much added by the refractor - in fact, I didn't even notice at first! And the x-refractor cards just look odd. But I dig the Cutting Room Floor and Lost Wackys, and the Ads are always fun to revisit.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #333 on: July 23, 2014, 03:57:44 PM »
There are now Gold and Blue Background Hobby Only cards up on ebay. Gold are 25 each and Blue are 50. They are numbered on the back.
I got word from Potomac today that my three hobby boxes have shipped. Thurs/ Fri should be quite Wacky at my house.

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #334 on: July 23, 2014, 04:05:19 PM »
If Panini purchased Topps, this would be a huge blow to the future of Wacky Packages and other non-sport cards.  Panini currently owns the exclusive license to NBA and NHL with their focus on international sports cards.   Since cards like Wackies and Garbage Pail Kids have an interest mainly in the USA, I don't think Panini would show much interest in non-sports.  I could be wrong but let's see how this plays out. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #335 on: July 23, 2014, 04:32:07 PM »
There are now Gold and Blue Background Hobby Only cards up on ebay. Gold are 25 each and Blue are 50. They are numbered on the back.
I got word from Potomac today that my three hobby boxes have shipped. Thurs/ Fri should be quite Wacky at my house.

I'm sure there will be a few people trying to get a set. I'll probably sell mine.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #336 on: July 23, 2014, 05:00:03 PM »
No Chromes in Ft Lauderdale, Fl Super Target but I gotta say, what a mess the card shelf was, stuff falling on the floor , everything mixed up, even the hangers were a disaster, it was quite amusing so I just threw everything back on the shelf & left!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #337 on: July 23, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »
I think the prices for a master set on eBay are a bit high right now - $124.00! The chase sets are not that rare. If it included the refractor set...that's a different story. I'm going to sit tight and wait for a better price when everybody gets their hobby cases.

Offline SuperfractorNut

« Reply #338 on: July 23, 2014, 05:33:46 PM »
If Panini purchased Topps, this would be a huge blow to the future of Wacky Packages and other non-sport cards.  Panini currently owns the exclusive license to NBA and NHL with their focus on international sports cards.   Since cards like Wackies and Garbage Pail Kids have an interest mainly in the USA, I don't think Panini would show much interest in non-sports.  I could be wrong but let's see how this plays out. 

Well it's just rumor that they will buy either topps or UD.  But looks like they will for sure get an NFL exclusive.  I really hope they do not buy out topps. 

Offline chipereno

« Reply #339 on: July 23, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »
Well.....I flew to Target after work and HEY...a gravity chrome on the wall.
How long had it been there....maybe 24hrs and it was a toadal wreck.
Every pack was slid showing all of the cards in the pack. I actually pondered
Wether the packs could have possibly came packed liked that. I passed on buying
Any of them. Who ever designed those packs should be fired. What were they thinking?

Offline Tylerg30

« Reply #340 on: July 23, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »
Busting a case of hobby now!  UPS was kinda late today :(

And for master sets, they were going for a lot more than 124.00 a few days ago.

Offline SuperfractorNut

« Reply #341 on: July 23, 2014, 07:07:15 PM »
Busting a case of hobby now!  UPS was kinda late today :(

And for master sets, they were going for a lot more than 124.00 a few days ago.

With refractors?  If not you can probably make your money back on just selling the sets. 

Offline SuperfractorNut

« Reply #342 on: July 23, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »
Is there any Star Wars collectors?  If so this limited edition return of the jedi set is on sale now.  Already sold 1000 out of 2000 sets.  Each set comes with 2 - 3 hits!

http://entertainment.topps.com/shop-brands/star-wars/2014-return-of-the-jedi.html

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #343 on: July 23, 2014, 07:23:52 PM »
Well.....I flew to Target after work and HEY...a gravity chrome on the wall.
How long had it been there....maybe 24hrs and it was a toadal wreck.
Every pack was slid showing all of the cards in the pack. I actually pondered
Wether the packs could have possibly came packed liked that. I passed on buying
Any of them. Who ever designed those packs should be fired. What were they thinking?

This is really bad. Topps really screwed us and rewarded the pack searchers. After seeing a couple guaranteed pulls auctions I will not buy any retail. I haven't seen a pack in person but it looks like its pretty easy to search now. I may even be able to tell now...LOL with magnets all I needed to do is have a magnet in my hand to search packs. Now all I need to do is wear my bi-focals. WHAT A JOKE!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:00:02 PM by BumChex »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #344 on: July 23, 2014, 07:58:23 PM »
Maybe you need to see these in person because there is so much distraction going on that it takes away from the actual art. eBay auction: #111415776057

I do think Flashbacks killed it for a lot of us. How many times can we see the same images in a different format? This also includes foil and magnets, although the magnets are pretty cool. How about a tattoo and magnet set?

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #345 on: July 23, 2014, 08:06:08 PM »
Hit a Target in PA. Found two untouched Excel boxes. Cracked them........Lots of Magic The gathering Stuff. No Wackies   ...  Tomorrow.

Where in PA. did you hit a Target?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #346 on: July 23, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »
One thing to get excited about is the printing plates as they look like they were used for the original series but why are these plates backwards? eBay auction: #151363182252

I can understand why they would be backwards if they were used to stamp the cards but there must be a different printing press for other series since these are not backwards:
http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=2610.msg57970#msg57970

I'm thinking these ANS Series were printed upside down where the backs were stamped backwards down.
Again, Topps has something here for die hard collectors but lets us down again.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:28:56 PM by BumChex »

• Administrator
« Reply #347 on: July 23, 2014, 08:27:54 PM »
Maybe you need to see these in person because there is so much distraction going on that it takes away from the actual art. eBay auction: #111415776057

what the hell is that? is there even a card under there?  >(

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #348 on: July 23, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »
what the hell is that? is there even a card under there?  >(

As far as you know? ;D

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: July 23, 2014, 08:33:24 PM »
One thing to get excited about is the printing plates as they look like they were used for the original series but why are these plates backwards? eBay auction: #151363182252

I can understand why they would be backwards if they were used to stamp the cards but there must be a different printing press for other series since these are not backwards:
http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=2610.msg57970#msg57970

I'm thinking these ANS Series were printed upside down where the backs were stamped backwards down.
Again, Topps has something here for die hard collectors but lets us down again.

different printing technique.
the earlier ones were 'offset', which uses a positive plate and transfers an inverse image to a roller, which then transfers as positive image on the card sheet.

these look like a direct print technique, which uses a negative plate that transfers as positive image on the card sheet