Author Topic: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming  (Read 301413 times)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
Re: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming
« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2014, 06:08:06 AM »
any sites selling blaster cases ?

no body is selling blaster cases just indivdual boxes - as far as i know/have seen...check with the Chrome Gods :] :] :] :] :]

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2014, 04:31:16 PM »
no body is selling blaster cases just indivdual boxes - as far as i know/have seen...check with the Chrome Gods :] :] :] :] :]
bonus/blaster box is nice looking at least.

still no CAMALS cigs tho. Gotta be all PC on the outside even though they aren't on the inside.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 05:22:48 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »

still no CAMALS cigs tho. Gotta be all PC on the outside even though they are on the inside.

(Image removed from quote.)

Hey Patrick, This is a cool box, Thank you for the pic.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2014, 08:31:56 PM »

still no CAMALS cigs tho. Gotta be all PC on the outside even though they are on the inside.

Great observation regarding camals cigs. This crew does not miss a trick!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2014, 07:03:40 AM »
Great observation regarding camals cigs. This crew does not miss a trick!

Crickets and WP Chrome. Some things just go together!!! ;)    24 days to Chrome Go Time!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2014, 07:58:12 AM »

Crickets and WP Chrome. Some things just go together!!! ;)    24 days to Chrome Go Time!

If more was happening in "Wackyland" there wouldn't be a countdown for a series made up primarily of reprints. Why the long delay for Old School and postcards?!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2014, 03:51:21 PM »
If more was happening in "Wackyland" there wouldn't be a countdown for a series made up primarily of reprints. Why the long delay for Old School and postcards?!

That's a great question!  Although I will say that I did place a pre-order for two boxes and one blaster box from B & B (or whatever their name is), so I'm getting more excited, even if Chrome is essentially all reprints.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2014, 05:16:12 PM »
I am still on the edge as to what I'm going to do. These seem to me like its to much of a stretch. They should have been the sub-set of the other Wacky sets instead of some of those disgusting border variations. And these being a set all onto their own IMO is just another Topps money grab. While the REAL Wacky collectors are STILL waiting for Old School for what is Years now. As i remember OLDS 5 was supposed to come out well over a year ago. The swill train rolls on!

Jim

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2014, 05:21:14 PM »
I am still on the edge as to what I'm going to do. These seem to me like its to much of a stretch. They should have been the sub-set of the other Wacky sets instead of some of those disgusting border variations. And these being a set all onto their own IMO is just another Topps money grab. While the REAL Wacky collectors are STILL waiting for Old School for what is Years now. As i remember OLDS 5 was supposed to come out well over a year ago. The swill train rolls on!

Jim

I agree that these chrome cards would have been a far better alternative than the colored bordered swill in recent ANS releases.  That being said, I still enjoy seeing the classic titles and, I'm hoping, some cool new stuff in terms of the Chrome subsets.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2014, 05:50:04 PM »

If more was happening in "Wackyland" there wouldn't be a countdown for a series made up primarily of reprints.

Still the wackiest place on Earth!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2014, 06:20:32 PM »
I agree that these chrome cards would have been a far better alternative than the colored bordered swill in recent ANS releases.  That being said, I still enjoy seeing the classic titles and, I'm hoping, some cool new stuff in terms of the Chrome subsets.

You are not addressing the fact that Chrome has SUPERFRACTORS for all the base cards. Pulling one of those will be a life-altering experience for most Wacky fans. It may even be too much for some. Get Ready!  I am    ;)

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »
Still the wackiest place on Earth!

Yep, that's what changed - Eisner

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2014, 08:12:01 PM »
The swill train rolls on!
Didn't Don Cornelius host that show?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »

If Topps is going to continue to rerelease new variations of previous titles, such as this one...

Does anyone have an opinion which would be more popular with collectors - chromes and refractors or lenticulars?

I think a "best of" lenticular series would be cool. And don't limit it to original series.

Lenticular Series 1 = Best of Old School

Lenticular Series 2 = Best of ANS

Lenticular Series 3 = Best of Postcards

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2014, 09:28:20 AM »
If Topps is going to continue to rerelease new variations of previous titles, such as this one...

Does anyone have an opinion which would be more popular with collectors - chromes and refractors or lenticulars?

I think a "best of" lenticular series would be cool. And don't limit it to original series.

Lenticular Series 1 = Best of Old School

Lenticular Series 2 = Best of ANS

Lenticular Series 3 = Best of Postcards

I think I'd prefer a lent. Series but I suppose I should see the chrome series before making a final determination.

I don't love the idea of re-hashing old titles but if it's original series done in a cool new way with some compelling inserts. I'm in favor of it.  I wish some of the more quality inserts, like the patches in ANS, weren't so hard to come by.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2014, 02:13:44 PM »
I think I'd prefer a lent. Series but I suppose I should see the chrome series before making a final determination.

I don't love the idea of re-hashing old titles but if it's original series done in a cool new way with some compelling inserts. I'm in favor of it.  I wish some of the more quality inserts, like the patches in ANS, weren't so hard to come by.

I think they would move a lot more ANS boxes if they would guarantee a Patch or Medallion card in every box. Who cares if that makes them less valuable. At present they are not even guaranteed if you purchase a full case.  The only incentive to buy a case is a Lost Wacky. Not good enough for my Wallet. 

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2014, 03:57:21 AM »
Chrome is TWO WEEKS away!!   Prepare for a chromatic psychic tsunami!

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2014, 01:23:20 PM »
Chrome is TWO WEEKS away!!   Prepare for a chromatic psychic tsunami!

After all this hype Doc I sure hope you're not disappointed.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2014, 02:39:01 PM »
I'm sure we'll all be raving about this set!  It does sound exciting, and it would be
great to see how all these refractor variations look like!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »
After all this hype Doc I sure hope you're not disappointed.

Me hyping WP Chrome????   Maybe just a little......... ;)   They are CHROMATIC you know. Well; the Chromies know this.

The WP collectors will know their chrome.....in due time....in due time.

Offline kayakguy1963

« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2014, 07:42:28 PM »
Me hyping WP Chrome????   Maybe just a little......... ;)   They are CHROMATIC you know. Well; the Chromies know this.

The WP collectors will know their chrome.....in due time....in due time.

I am as hyped about this chrome series as you appear to be, DrDeal.  My explanation is simple.  This upcoming series release will be the closest one to re-living the excitement and wonder of the original Wacky Packages series (1 and 2, 1973) that I remember so fondly.  And to me...that's what it's all about.  Opening the wrappers and seeing all of those familiar, funny cards all over again...for the first time in CHROME!  I doubt that any of us will be truly disappointed.  A Topps "money grab?"  Perhaps, but worth every penny to me.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2014, 03:15:10 AM »
I am as hyped about this chrome series as you appear to be, DrDeal.  My explanation is simple.  This upcoming series release will be the closest one to re-living the excitement and wonder of the original Wacky Packages series (1 and 2, 1973) that I remember so fondly.  And to me...that's what it's all about.  Opening the wrappers and seeing all of those familiar, funny cards all over again...for the first time in CHROME!  I doubt that any of us will be truly disappointed.  A Topps "money grab?"  Perhaps, but worth every penny to me.

I am with you on this opinion. The fact that these cardss will draw from OS 1,2,3 is big for me. Flashback did too but also had later series in it. This one sticks to the early part of Wackies and does replicate that experience to a degree. Plus you could pull a SUPERFRACTOR. I shudder to think.  >(

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »

I agree.  What's more, the subsets are all at least decent if not very appealing.  No colored boarders in this set!  I do wish the price were a bit cheaper, but I do still think it's worth it.

And now that Topps seems to be able to recreate all the original series, there are some titles I'd love to see appear in ANS as magnets or foils or lents.

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
The fact that these cardss will draw from OS 1,2,3 is big for me. Flashback did too but also had later series in it.

that's really the only appeal for me - that it not only draws from series 1, 2, 3, but that it *is* 1, 2, 3. In their entirety.
Not just a handful of cards like the Flashbacks, or even a dozen or so like the '79 reprints.
This is the whole kit and caboodle!   :great:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2014, 09:28:33 PM »
The thing is they are all reprints and not actual stickers. They are just cards. I'm sure they look amazing so I might bite soon but I have the whole flashback issues still bugging me. Flashbacks went from an overnight sensation to swill in a matter of minutes. I know other series have done the same thing but its hard to have enjoyment pulling the same card images you have seen 1000's of times and most have the originals in their collection.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2014, 03:03:58 AM »
so I might bite soon .

Please wait until I post a pic of my Jail-o Superfractor and then bite.   I wouldn't want you to bite now and rain on my parade. You have waited so long. What's a few more weeks?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2014, 03:15:53 AM »
I am wondering what people will be wiling to pay to obtain a super fractor card of their favorite OS title?

I hope to score at least one of these 1/1 cards in my chrome orders. I will probably sell it so I can score the title I really want.   

My thoughts are $250 to $500 depending on the title.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2014, 06:55:54 AM »
The thing is they are all reprints and not actual stickers. They are just cards. I'm sure they look amazing so I might bite soon but I have the whole flashback issues still bugging me. Flashbacks went from an overnight sensation to swill in a matter of minutes. I know other series have done the same thing but its hard to have enjoyment pulling the same card images you have seen 1000's of times and most have the originals in their collection.

I know I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed the Flashbacks a lot, and think it's cool to have them around to stick on packages or whatever.  Not sure how I'll feel about the chromes, and didn't pre-order any.  I plan to pick up a pack or two to check them out, and then decide what to pursue, if anything.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2014, 06:56:08 AM »
I am wondering what people will be wiling to pay to obtain a super fractor card of their favorite OS title?

I hope to score at least one of these 1/1 cards in my chrome orders. I will probably sell it so I can score the title I really want.   

You forgot the decimal point
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Online Joe G.

« Reply #169 on: July 13, 2014, 01:43:10 PM »

What did the GPK superfractors go for?  That would seem to be a good way to get an estimate for the Wacky ones.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »
What did the GPK superfractors go for?  That would seem to be a good way to get an estimate for the Wacky ones.

the ones I saw on eBay had asking prices starting at $750 through $1200. Most seemed to be about $900. I don't know if they were selling at those prices, however.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Online Joe G.

« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2014, 05:44:15 PM »
the ones I saw on eBay had asking prices starting at $750 through $1200. Most seemed to be about $900. I don't know if they were selling at those prices, however.

Well, in that case, sorry, that would not be a good way to estimate prices.  I can't imagine that the Wacky ones would sell anywhere near those prices.  I know that GPK are super hot right now but those prices are surprising!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »
Well, in that case, sorry, that would not be a good way to estimate prices.  I can't imagine that the Wacky ones would sell anywhere near those prices.  I know that GPK are super hot right now but those prices are surprising!

Agreed but that is the only comparison point we have at this time for super fractors. The GPK sketch cards are still going for much higher amounts than the Wacky Packages sketches. But the WP sketches have become almost ridiculously low, perhaps due in part to some high volume collectors  selling off large numbers.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:53:28 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #173 on: July 13, 2014, 06:08:40 PM »
I know I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed the Flashbacks a lot, and think it's cool to have them around to stick on packages or whatever.  Not sure how I'll feel about the chromes, and didn't pre-order any.  I plan to pick up a pack or two to check them out, and then decide what to pursue, if anything.

I don't know if you are in the minority about the Flashbacks.  I really enjoyed them and look forward to the Chrome.  In fact, I think I may like them better (price notwithstanding) than Flashbacks.  They will contain some of my favorites series, have some cool sounding inserts and no silly colored borders.  Again, other than price, I don't see much of a downside (though the price is way higher per card/sticker than Flashbacks).

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2014, 07:50:08 PM »
Here is a first look at some sketches that will be in WP Chrome. I was pretty psyched to see so many color sketches!
I think they listened to Hustler.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmrpottersfuntimeblog.blogspot.com%2F2014%2F06%2Fwacky-packages-chrome-sketch-cards.html&ei=gTScU-6xINejyAS-joHwCQ&usg=AFQjCNHhjwWf_0DdPRcG8w8X8FzB9fN8sA

This guys says this on his blog...

I had the pleasure of working on 200 autographed artist sketch cards for this set which are smaller sketches that will be embedded in the chrome bordered cards and inserted into the packs as rare chase cards. This will be the third Wacky Packages series I've done sketches for but the first one to be released so I am excited to see people find my sketch cards in their packs next month. I thought I'd share some mock-up scans of the sketch cards I did based on the preview of what the borders are supposed to look like (these are not actual versions of the finished product). I had a lot of fun working on these and hope the fans and collectors like them.

I'm not familiar with the artist, Mr. Potter, I guess he goes by that? It sounds like he worked on Star Wars Wacky sketches or upcoming ANS or Old School. Interesting these sketches will have a chrome border...that's new and different.

anything