Author Topic: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming  (Read 301414 times)

Offline DrDeal

Wacky Packages Chrome Coming
« on: January 16, 2014, 04:26:21 AM »
Very much looking forward to this release. Multiple levels of cards featuring original Saunders drawn cards are what I prefer to collect.

Andrew

Offline Jean Nutty

Re: Wacky Packages Chrome Coming
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 08:40:56 AM »
Very much looking forward to this release. Multiple levels of cards featuring original Saunders drawn cards are what I prefer to collect.

Andrew

This is exciting news! I like the chromes. Like you, I hope there are at least some original Saunders drawn cards.

Chrome postcards would be cool!

Offline havok77

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 02:01:34 PM »
the only thing that would make this better. is if they were actualy stickers. chrome stickers would be so awesome . im sure it could be done. realy looking forward to seeing what else topps has in store for this release .

for those that are not into topps doing chrome . i would like to hear why ?

i remember bringing it up a while ago . i never thoguht it would happen .... maybe topps does read these boards .
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:03:31 PM by havok77 »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 02:09:11 PM »

for those that are not into topps doing chrome . i would like to hear why?

Because some of us just aren't drawn in by colored borders/presentation gimmicks. They are the antithesis of what I like about the way the original wackys look.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 04:14:44 PM »
for those that are not into topps doing chrome . i would like to hear why ?

to me, they are one of the lowest of the current gimmicks in the card world, compounded with this being a reprint set done for the sole intent to milk more money from the collectors using the absolute minimum of effort on Topps part.
The only thing different here from a regular set is that they are shiny. While a foil background completely outside the border isn't too bad, like the 75th Anniversary Gadzooka, if they decide to make the art silverized, refractorized, prismaticized, or whatever other term they have, it's obscuring the art and looks hideous. Many of the foil cards in ANS had too much silver within the image and they couldn't be seen clearly. (yes, we've already had 50 foil stickers in the ANS sets)
As bad as the alternate border colors have been, this would be worse, as it obliterates the ability to appreciate the art like Dave says, which is kind of the whole point of Wackys.
If you just like looking at refractor-paper, it's sold in hobby and craft shops for a lot less than what topps will charge.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 04:53:18 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »
Because some of us just aren't drawn in by colored borders/presentation gimmicks. They are the antithesis of what I like about the way the original wackys look.
this is for you, Dave.
Super Refractor Heaven

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 04:18:39 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 08:00:39 PM »
This is like flashback all over again and I won't partake. It will probably be the same titles. I'll just buy a set on eBay and be done.

Offline havok77

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 08:52:12 PM »
to me, they are one of the lowest of the current gimmicks in the card world, compounded with this being a reprint set done for the sole intent to milk more money from the collectors using the absolute minimum of effort on Topps part.
The only thing different here from a regular set is that they are shiny. While a foil background completely outside the border isn't too bad, like the 75th Anniversary Gadzooka, if they decide to make the art silverized, refractorized, prismaticized, or whatever other term they have, it's obscuring the art and looks hideous. Many of the foil cards in ANS had too much silver within the image and they couldn't be seen clearly. (yes, we've already had 50 foil stickers in the ANS sets)
As bad as the alternate border colors have been, this would be worse, as it obliterates the ability to appreciate the art like Dave says, which is kind of the whole point of Wackys.
If you just like looking at refractor-paper, it's sold in hobby and craft shops for a lot less than what topps will charge.

alot of gpk fans said alot of the same things you mentioned here. once they seen them in hand they realy liked them . i think these are gonna look great .

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 08:58:50 PM »
alot of gpk fans said alot of the same things you mentioned here. once they seen them in hand they realy liked them . i think these are gonna look great .
I guess I'd like to hear the flip side from those eager for the set. What's the appeal?

Offline havok77

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »
well im a big fan of chrome . i do enjoy collecting the paralels. i dont think that the refractors are going to ruin the art. i missed out on the early series , and im not about to spend $$$ on "unopened packs" we all know that packs from that time  can easily be re sealed .

so this is a nice oppurtunity to get these cards i missed out on. i know someone will say , well why didnt you just get flashback ? i think those look horrible with the funky colors ......

im sure there will be more then just re prints in this.  topps did the gpk's in black and white which was very cool .

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 05:21:37 AM »
Looking at the GPK Chrome Release I saw they did Super - Fractor Cards which are 1/1.   

That should be interesting. Pack searchers are going to be all over these if they do 1/1's.

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 05:44:49 AM »
well im a big fan of chrome . i do enjoy collecting the paralels. i dont think that the refractors are going to ruin the art. i missed out on the early series , and im not about to spend $$$ on "unopened packs" we all know that packs from that time  can easily be re sealed .

so this is a nice oppurtunity to get these cards i missed out on. i know someone will say , well why didnt you just get flashback ? i think those look horrible with the funky colors ......

im sure there will be more then just re prints in this.  topps did the gpk's in black and white which was very cool .
The best way to pick up the old series is to buy sets. Buying unopened packs is not the way to go, as they are more valuable sealed than open. And there aren't enough around to complete a set anyways.

LOL. I would never have recommended the flashbacks. I'd first say the 79/80 reprint sets, but really the best is to go after the originals.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 05:48:17 AM »

Wait..wait...so it will be a NEW set oF Wacky's with Aluminum foil or OLD ANS stuff with aluminum foil?? if its the old stuff who needs it - so make it rare - i think wacky collectors are too smart for that gimmick!! don't think it will go over well - i will stick with OLDS5!! - and I liked the Diamond Sparkle on the Topps 75th...

BTW - does the chrome look like the foil cards in the 75th set...?? :-\ :-\

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 05:50:44 AM »
The best way to pick up the old series is to buy sets. Buying unopened packs is not the way to go, as they are more valuable sealed than open. And there aren't enough around to complete a set anyways.

LOL. I would never have recommended the flashbacks. I'd first say the 79/80 reprint sets, but really the best is to go after the originals.

Agreed on all points.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 01:49:26 PM »
100% not interested in chrome reprinted wackys.  If you like them then more power to you.  Seems like a cash grab to me.

Did I mention I have 0% interest in these  ;D

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 02:48:01 PM »
100% not interested in chrome reprinted wackys.  If you like them then more power to you.  Seems like a cash grab to me.

Did I mention I have 0% interest in these  ;D

I second that 110%.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »
As I remember from the 1986 Garfield in Paradise special:
"CHROME, CHROME, CHROME, WOP-BOP-A-LU-BOP..."

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »
I am interested in these for the following reasons:

* I like the older wacky titles and would find it quite pleasurable to open packs of them. It will be highly nostalgic.

* I like chrome cards and have always enjoyed the ANS Series subsets where Chrome was used.

* I am a chase card junkie and love the thrill of pulling a super rare card out of a pack. It the "crack" of wackies for me.
   I get a buzz out of that which is hard to describe but is real and I look forward to it. It's my only type of substance abuse. :)

* The idea of pulling a 1/1 version of an iconic wacky very much appeals to me. I know the chances will be slim but to pull a
   Super Fractor Jail-o out of a pack in 2014 would be almost as cool as it was to pull a Jail-o back when I was 8.

Not sure how much I will buy but they can't get here soon enough. I feel like it will be just as fun as Flashback were, without colored borders or goofy backgrounds. Just wicked cool chrome and refractor type cards. Plus whatever else they throw in those packs.

Andrew

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »
As always, I'm happy for, and somewhat envious of, those who are excited about these. Enjoy!

As long as I don't have to look at them   :D

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 06:43:02 PM »
100% not interested in chrome reprinted wackys.
I have two big interests/hobbies: Wackys and my '64 Chevy. Guess which one I like chrome on.

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »
I have two big interests/hobbies: Wackys and my '64 Chevy. Guess which one I like chrome on.
Sounds like a match made in heaven then! Stick those Chrome wackys all over that '64 Chevy

Offline havok77

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 08:07:48 PM »
Wait..wait...so it will be a NEW set oF Wacky's with Aluminum foil or OLD ANS stuff with aluminum foil?? if its the old stuff who needs it - so make it rare - i think wacky collectors are too smart for that gimmick!! don't think it will go over well - i will stick with OLDS5!! - and I liked the Diamond Sparkle on the Topps 75th...

BTW - does the chrome look like the foil cards in the 75th set...?? :-\ :-\

you have never seen a chrome card  ?  they look way better then them foil ones from the 75th set .

Offline havok77

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 08:09:12 PM »
and i realy think that wacky chrome will be more then just original series one. the set would be way too small. so it must be a combo of the best of the first few series... just a guess

Offline havok77

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 08:10:09 PM »
I am interested in these for the following reasons:

* I like the older wacky titles and would find it quite pleasurable to open packs of them. It will be highly nostalgic.

* I like chrome cards and have always enjoyed the ANS Series subsets where Chrome was used.

* I am a chase card junkie and love the thrill of pulling a super rare card out of a pack. It the "crack" of wackies for me.
   I get a buzz out of that which is hard to describe but is real and I look forward to it. It's my only type of substance abuse. :)

* The idea of pulling a 1/1 version of an iconic wacky very much appeals to me. I know the chances will be slim but to pull a
   Super Fractor Jail-o out of a pack in 2014 would be almost as cool as it was to pull a Jail-o back when I was 8.

Not sure how much I will buy but they can't get here soon enough. I feel like it will be just as fun as Flashback were, without colored borders or goofy backgrounds. Just wicked cool chrome and refractor type cards. Plus whatever else they throw in those packs.

Andrew

yes !!! very excited

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »

100% not interested in chrome reprinted wackys. 

I'm 98.5% uninterested in duplicated Wacky titles with any type of border variation, and that includes glitter, foils, chromes, and super-refractors. I'd take one extra title over the plethora of variation swill, but if there has to be variations, I am attracted to some of the foils, black matte, and silver/blue border styles.

I could easily be persuaded that all forms of title variations are unethical and borderline immoral.... a "cash grab" as you call it.

I purchased a roll of this recently at a craft store and used it last week to wrap a friend's birthday gift. I added some cool foil butterfly stickers, and received a nice compliment. You couldn't look at it too long or you'd get dizzy. Goes without saying that the gift box would also have looked very sharp with some Original Series Wacky titles plastered on it.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 12:29:52 AM »
I will probably just get a base set of these, if anything. There doesn't seem to be much interest in them so far in this thread. Topps should have instead put the effort/time/$ into the giant size OS sticker run that was talked about (and I believe confirmed) years ago. Or the 3rd Abrams book...

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 01:03:31 AM »
I will probably just get a base set of these, if anything. There doesn't seem to be much interest in them so far in this thread. Topps should have instead put the effort/time/$ into the giant size OS sticker run that was talked about (and I believe confirmed) years ago. Or the 3rd Abrams book...

Gotta agree, if they are going to re-issue Original Series titles yet again, let it be in a high quality postcard size.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 03:05:48 AM »

I think there will be surprises in this set that cause people to buy a few boxes instead of just buying a set for $8 after they come out. This community respects the OS wackys and prefers them to ANS. This release looks like it will celebrate those older titles we love so much. I think once the specifics of the release surface there will be a better reaction.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 09:17:14 AM »

I'm with you as well.

Would not be surprised one bit if the chrome stickers were just new borders on a combination of FB 1 & 2. Least amount of work on Topps part, which seems to be an emerging pattern (I'm seeing this everywhere).

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »
Are these being promoted on the Topps website?  All I see listed on Topps online site is ANS 11.

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 12:14:20 PM »
Are these being promoted on the Topps website?  All I see listed on Topps online site is ANS 11.
no, and it'll be quite awhile before they get on the website.
the article talking about the 2014 products indicates a June release

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=3365.0

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 12:58:12 PM »
Thanks.  If the image is foiled as well as the bordering, I will pick up a set.  If only the border is foiled or prismed or whatever,  I will pass.  If I do pick up a set, I too will wait until Card Gary has a fire sale....

Offline havok77

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
I think there will be surprises in this set that cause people to buy a few boxes instead of just buying a set for $8 after they come out. This community respects the OS wackys and prefers them to ANS. This release looks like it will celebrate those older titles we love so much. I think once the specifics of the release surface there will be a better reaction.

i agree

Offline andyg

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2014, 10:52:55 AM »
Unless there is a redemption chase card for original WP art, I will probably pass. And if there is, I may only spring for a box.

I can only buy the same cards so many times before I start to feel ripped off. I will live vicariously through others opening packs. Good luck to those opening Chrome!

Offline WPcollector

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2014, 11:28:26 AM »
The gpk chrome cards were nice but they were cards, not stickers. The same thing will prob happen here. They will be overproduced. highly praised by dealers who will sell these for a premium when they first come out.

You should all pass and wait for a few months after release when prices will dip to 5-10$ a set. The same happened with GPK's after original sets sold for 80$ pre-release.

Be patient.