Author Topic: 2014 Wacky releases  (Read 59805 times)

Offline havok77

Re: 2014 Wacky releases
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 02:26:58 PM »
another 2014 Series 1 image.
Appears to be a David Gross painting.

spoiler engaged, for now

[spoiler](Image removed from quote.)[/spoiler]

very cool , i dig it

Offline wackygarbage

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 05:59:32 AM »
Friggin' suck ass BS Chrome. I hate you Topps.

Tell us how you REALLY feel!

I like them for GPKs but I don't think they will work for Wackys.  Just another profit machine from Topps!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »
  there is a pic for each series: Gadzooka for Chrome, Mess for OLDS 5, and a Breaking Wind (Breaking Bad parody) DVD for Wacky Packages 2014. 

And friggin' suck ass fart and poop jokes.  I hate you Topps.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 11:46:19 AM »

Here, Here!  We're together on this subject.  Hated those inane potty humor stickers.  Yuck! 

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 03:33:34 PM »
;D ;D ;D

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 06:21:32 AM »
;D ;D ;D

So its official - both WP Chrome and WP 2014 both are "turning off" collectors...it might be all downhill from here - hopefully OLDS5 can SAVE US!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »
I can say there is not a single poop, fart, pee or puke joke in OLDS5

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2014, 03:29:14 PM »

So there's more than one, eh.   >:D
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2014, 07:20:48 PM »

Which is just one reason why OLDS are so much more appealing than ANS (especially the more recent series).

I was a tad surprised (though I shouldn't have been) when I saw, under your icon, about OLDS4 being released in Dec. '12 and 5 coming out in summer '14.  Such a long wait for the best stuff Wacky-wise that is being produced these days!  Worth the wait, of course, but I would prefer a 9 month or so gap for OLDS and a 18 month gap for new series.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 04:43:15 AM »
So its official - both WP Chrome and WP 2014 both are "turning off" collectors...it might be all downhill from here - hopefully OLDS5 can SAVE US!! ;D ;D ;D

So we are tired of the poop and fart references. I am on board with that. I still miss the iconic art of Norm Saunders.
Oh wait; isn't WP Chrome ALL ABOUT the iconic art of Norm Saunders re-interpreted with a Chromatic Spin? 

Maybe Chrome won't be so bad after all.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2014, 11:59:44 AM »
I will say that we are COLLECTORS here so we are a bit more demanding.
Topps makes WP and GPK for kids and if the kids of today BUY IT, they will continue to make it.

I will say in my neck of the woods GPK sells much better than WP based on the of 10 Targets, Walmarts and Toys R Us I monitor.

Collectors will want the Chase cards, Bonus and special inserts and variations. But we are in the vast minority. Kids just are happy with a base set. The bonus stuff Topps seems to capture collectors with Hobby Boxes.

Im just happy that Topps brought back the line 10 years strong now and looking to continue. They could very easily pulled the plug already.

Kids in the end are what keeps this machine going

Offline dth1971

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 09:19:30 PM »

How about a Peanuts/Charlie Brown/Snoopy joke that a Wacky Packages series (ANS or OLDS series) has yet to see?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 09:42:31 PM »
How about a Peanuts/Charlie Brown/Snoopy joke that a Wacky Packages series (ANS or OLDS series) has yet to see?

Umm.........can't think of any......

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2014, 08:46:32 AM »
I will say that we are COLLECTORS here so we are a bit more demanding.
Topps makes WP and GPK for kids and if the kids of today BUY IT, they will continue to make it.

I will say in my neck of the woods GPK sells much better than WP based on the of 10 Targets, Walmarts and Toys R Us I monitor.

Collectors will want the Chase cards, Bonus and special inserts and variations. But we are in the vast minority. Kids just are happy with a base set. The bonus stuff Topps seems to capture collectors with Hobby Boxes.

Im just happy that Topps brought back the line 10 years strong now and looking to continue. They could very easily pulled the plug already.

Kids in the end are what keeps this machine going

I agree they generally targeted ANS for kids and kids (well probably their parents) bought them.  But I think part of what made the original wacky packages stand the test of time for us (previous kids) is that they walked a fine line between art, spoofing and craziness that titallated our sensibilities but at the same time never crossed the line into straight up vulgarity.

Vulgarity is the weakest kind of humor..it is soooo lazy I can't stand it when I see it in wackys.  It in pandering to the LCD just for a buck.

Those stickers are not going to be timeless like the originals.  Topps took the easy way out with the last ANS and their jokes instead of making them classics. 

There's a reason classics are classics and hacks are hacks.

Just my two cents   :-X

Sorry for the rant, that last ANS release really sticks in my craw haha.

CaseyRob

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2014, 10:55:12 AM »
Some more information has come out on the "2014 Wacky Packages Series 1".  Sorry if I'm reposting:

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/2014-topps-wacky-packages-series-1-trading-cards

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2014, 01:12:32 PM »
Some more information has come out on the "2014 Wacky Packages Series 1".  Sorry if I'm reposting:

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/2014-topps-wacky-packages-series-1-trading-cards

Brad may be getting Full Size Patch Card and Medallion Card Fever.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2014, 01:26:05 PM »

:015:

Sorry, I just don't see how anyone gets stoked about these releases anymore.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2014, 01:45:14 PM »
:015:

I will probably get a few Hobby Boxes. Not too stoked;  but they are still new wackies.  Having had many years
of participating in a "Dead" hobby, these are still welcome in my home.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2014, 03:39:49 PM »
I'm pretty much with you on this. I still want them (at least the basics), but don't wet my pants over them.

I also think that the saturation point of new Wackys is somehow making them all less special. The original series, even up thru the first couple of ANSes, are all well and good...but, honestly, they should stop. I'm just pretty certain I'm not going to want any ANS27.

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2014, 04:37:15 PM »

so almost like ANS 10 and 11, except now every Collector pack is overloaded and overstuffed with basic swill cards.
being light on swill was the best aspect of the collector boxes.
I'm sure this will jack up the price of the collector boxes too and for no other reason than to move unwanted base cards.

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2014, 04:43:46 PM »
so almost like ANS 10 and 11, except now every Collector pack is overloaded and overstuffed with basic swill cards.
I'm sure this will jack up the price of the collector boxes too and for no other reason than to move unwanted base cards.
except -
the Topps sales pitch on Blowout Cards doesn't match that info. it still shows 6-card packs.

and that there will be a NY Comic Con Promo Card

no Black Canvas cards, but instead the wacky backs.
they look like the Jay Lynch icon drawings from several years back. I wonder if they are??

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:55:44 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2014, 07:02:16 PM »
Nothing on releasing Wacky Packages Old School Series 5 on ShopTopps.com even without a pre-sale?

And will there be Wacky Packages Halloween postcards this year in October 2014?

Of course the Wacky Packages Star Wars edition still is targeted for September 2014 release.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »
except -
the Topps sales pitch on Blowout Cards doesn't match that info. it still shows 6-card packs.

and that there will be a NY Comic Con Promo Card

no Black Canvas cards, but instead the wacky backs.
they look like the Jay Lynch icon drawings from several years back. I wonder if they are??

(Image removed from quote.)

Sure looks VERY similar but slightly different (see below)  like the kid fishing on top of Kook-Aid is missing, the "blood" pooling around the tomato, etc,.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 06:29:21 AM by sco(o)t »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I like the looks of the medallion cards and a full-size patch card sounds cool.  However, not too much else stands out to me.  I took it pretty easy in terms of buying ANS11 and will likely do the same on this release.  I just wish Topps could stick to a recipe of quality new stickers/images with a limited number of worthwhile releases.  I'm so tired of (and confused by) meaningless (to me) color border variations, back variations and complex bonus card insertion rates/schedules.  Simplify, Topps!  I think all of us adults would be pleased (if you even care how we feel).

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2014, 07:14:08 PM »

So, I am missing something... the write ups for the Hobby Boxes seem the same as for the Collector Box:

2014 Topps Wacky Packages Series 1 Hobby Box Break
1 Numbered Rookie Autograph Patch Card
1 Numbered Autograph Jumbo Relic Card
2 Atomic Die-Cut Refractor Rookie Cards
2 Finest Moments Insert Cards
60 Total Cards

2014 Topps Wacky Packages Series 1 Hobby Collector Box Break
60 Total Cards

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
So, I am missing something... the write ups for the Hobby Boxes seem the same as for the Collector Box:

2014 Topps Wacky Packages Series 1 Hobby Box Break
60 Total Cards

2014 Topps Wacky Packages Series 1 Hobby Collector Box Break
60 Total Cards
It seems there are numerous odd or questionable things in that write up

Offline havok77

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2014, 09:26:15 PM »

im a lil confused , the images i see , havent these been used already ??????

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2014, 09:46:50 PM »
im a lil confused , the images i see , havent these been used already ??????

That's why they're not called, "All New Series" anymore       :^)         

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2014, 02:52:06 AM »
I found another write -up on Blowout cards:

Collector Edition: 14 - 6 Card Packs per box, Retail Edition: 24 - 10 Card Packs per box

Base and Subset : Gold and Silver Border Parallels in Collector and Retail versions

Base Only: Pattern Parallels in Collector and Retail Versions.

Hobby Collector Exclusives: Black and Red Ludlows, Red Metallic Borders, Wacky Backs , Pencil Drawings, Lost Wackys, Bonus Stickers,
                                        Artist Autos, Reg and Shaped Sketches, 50 Loaded packs with 4 Sketches, Printing Plates, Full Sized Patch Relics,
                                        Manufactured Medallions

I think the Cardboard Connection write up has some descriptions that were cut and paste from a sports release and were mistakenly published.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:44:38 AM by DrDeal »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2014, 05:37:49 AM »
That's why they're not called, "All New Series" anymore       :^)        

I think the images are just for reference. I think it is all new gags/ art. Not reprints of ANS.

The Blowout cards info states: All New Parodies: Candy, Snacks, Toys, Drinks, Video Games and more.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:39:41 AM by DrDeal »

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2014, 06:49:03 AM »
I found another write -up on Blowout cards:

Collector Edition: 14 - 6 Card Packs per box, Retail Edition: 24 - 10 Card Packs per box

Base and Subset : Gold and Silver Border Parallels in Collector and Retail versions

Base Only: Pattern Parallels in Collector and Retail Versions.

Hobby Collector Exclusives: Black and Red Ludlows, Red Metallic Borders, Wacky Backs , Pencil Drawings, Lost Wackys, Bonus Stickers,
                                        Artist Autos, Reg and Shaped Sketches, 50 Loaded packs with 4 Sketches, Printing Plates, Full Sized Patch Relics,
                                        Manufactured Medallions

I think the Cardboard Connection write up has some descriptions that were cut and paste from a sports release and were mistakenly published.
yeah, that's the one I was referring to. I think it's far more accurate.

except for the re-use of the ans11 boxes and pack images.
good grief. can we get away from orange already? :41:

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2014, 07:52:38 AM »
I think the images are just for reference. I think it is all new gags/ art. Not reprints of ANS.

The Blowout cards info states: All New Parodies: Candy, Snacks, Toys, Drinks, Video Games and more.

That’s great news. I read that and it totally confused me, looking at the images.          I like Catburglar Helper!

A lighthearted comment, we should all feel targeted when they put, “Adults will chase rare cards to complete their sets”      :-[

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2014, 09:09:51 AM »
That’s great news. I read that and it totally confused me, looking at the images.          I like Catburglar Helper!

A lighthearted comment, we should all feel targeted when they put, “Adults will chase rare cards to complete their sets”      :-[

So my thoughts on this one are :

Buy off Ebay:  Full base Set, Subset set, Bonus Card Set, Lost Wacky Set,   1 Full Size Patch Relic, 1 Medallion Relic.

I would think can achieve the above for around $150 and will be done.

I can't see buying 5 Collector boxes only to not score a Patch or Medallion and then have to buy them on the bay and not being able
   to recoup any of my 5 box outlay ($350 - 400) since no one pays for Sketches or Golds anymore.

Pass on all parallels , pencil sketches, Sketches, Autos, Ludlows, Printing plates,

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2014, 12:07:42 PM »

Rob, thanks Catburglar Helper was one of my gags.  It was redesigned a bit from my rough.  The painting's great!  I would love to know who did it.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2014, 12:26:30 PM »
Rob, thanks Catburglar Helper was one of my gags.  It was redesigned a bit from my rough.  The painting's great!  I would love to know who did it.

Nice gag! Love the "Four Fingered Discount"!