Author Topic: 2014 Wacky releases  (Read 59888 times)

Offline DrDeal

Re: 2014 Wacky releases
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2014, 07:22:57 PM »
I enjoy reading your posts, which are consistently positive and sparkle with a polished patina

Regarding the comment above that this forum is stale, I think you said it best recently, when someone was complaining how slow things were around here.

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy reading your posts also. Very few people can adeptly use the term "polished patina" when offering a compliment. I feel proud to have warranted that from you.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2014, 07:34:25 PM »
What is the best preorder price for collector boxes?  I can do two boxes for 67.95 each and free shipping on orders over 99 on Thurs from DA Cardworld.  Can anyone beat that?  I only want preorder two boxes so won't be going over 150 which is what most sights require for free shipping

Andrew

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2014, 06:38:09 AM »
What is the best preorder price for collector boxes?  I can do two boxes for 67.95 each and free shipping on orders over 99 on Thurs from DA Cardworld.  Can anyone beat that?  I only want preorder two boxes so won't be going over 150 which is what most sights require for free shipping

Andrew

WP 2014: Collectors Boxes only - FORUM members ONLY
I can get 2 to ya for $64.95 EACH with free shipping and I will have other extras for sale - ie subsets or one-off cards that IF you purchase from me I can add in that box...LMK

limited quantities...PM Me if interested..
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:36:25 AM by Hustler08 »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2014, 02:18:37 PM »
WP 2014: Collectors Boxes only - FORUM members ONLY
I can get 2 to ya for $64.95 EACH with free shipping and I will have other extras for sale - ie subsets or one-off cards that IF you purchase from me I can add in that box...LMK

limited quantities...PM Me if interested..

Thanks for the offer but I already pre-ordered a few boxes. Sounds like the lowest price I have seen.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »
Exactly and now you're the parent and it sure sounds like you hate 'em.  My kids love 'em, potty humor and all.  But look, let's agree to disagree and just leave it at that.

Congratulations on absolutely dodging the point.  You would make a good politician.  I guess I'm glad I didn't see the unedited version of your post (the one that someone responded to with "dayum!").
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »
Oh, and as far as your below-the-belt accusation that I hate wackys:  I love wackys, otherwise I would not be here on this forum, Joe.  What I "hate" is my beloved wackys disgraced with potty humor and lowbrow gross-out crassness (vomit-flavored floss? really?)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2014, 07:36:01 AM »
Oh, and as far as your below-the-belt accusation that I hate wackys:  I love wackys, otherwise I would not be here on this forum, Joe.  What I "hate" is my beloved wackys disgraced with potty humor and lowbrow gross-out crassness (vomit-flavored floss? really?)

Personally, I'm not a fan of "potty humor and lowbrow gross-out crassness" as you describe it, either.  That stuff doesn't appeal to me and moreso, it actively turns me off.  That said, isn't the introduction of that humor and our reactions to it simply a matter of changing tastes and changing times - and perhaps us simply being set in our ways?  And also it could be younger folks wanting to try something new and to make something "theirs"?

Not saying that you can't still have solid Wacky humor without them - you certainly CAN.  Of course you can.  But that doesn't mean you should or that everyone is going to be satisfied with that and not want to push envelopes, such as they are.  In 2014, it would seem that this other kind of post-GarbagePailKids humor has become a part of what Wacky Packages now are.  Whether WE like it or not.  And that might be the point, too.

Sometimes in these instances, when I have strong reactions to new things like this, I look to other parts of youth culture through the ages and I try to make comparisons.  

Elvis shook his hips and a lot of people got up in arms, saying that was crass and inappropriate.   It turned a lot of people off.  Someone might have said (and likely did) that the hip shaking was unnecessary to the music - and they'd be right, from a certain point-of-view.  I think most of us chuckle at that early criticism of Elvis Presley, and yet many of us who do might be incredibly turned off by Miley Cyrus and her "twerking".   I'd be one of them.  But after some consideration, I can find no fundamental difference between hip-shaking and twerking, other than the era in which they grabbed headlines, and that I'm perfectly comfortable with one and experience discomfort with the other.  

Rock and roll didn't NEED to exist.  Music was fine before it and I'm sure many folks saw no reason to introduce new sounds and styles to the musical landscape.   But in spite of that, things changed.  Because that's life.    

So times change.  It's inevitable and oftentimes difficult for those of us who wish things could stay the same - which is nearly everyone on some level.   It has been said so many ways by so many smart people, scientists and poets alike, and said far simpler and briefer than I'm saying here.  Things changing and evolving is just a fundamental truth and fact of life.  

Considering all of this, when I see Miley Cyrus twerking or Wacky Packages featuring GPK humor, I don't try to stop myself from having my negative reaction to them, but I do try to temper it with an understanding that my reaction perhaps reveals as much about me and where I am in my life as it does about them.  :-)

[Edit:  I wanted to add that, because of all of this I am incredibly grateful when something comes along to service my existing tastes such as they are - and such as Wacky Packages Old School aims to be.  It's sort of the Wacky Packages equivalent of Journey/Styx/Def Leppard touring and so on - sort of.]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:49:00 AM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2014, 11:15:24 AM »
                                                                                                    Can't wait for the movie ..................
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2014, 12:46:15 PM »

I wanted to add that, because of all of this I am incredibly grateful when something comes along to service my existing tastes such as they are - and such as Wacky Packages Old School aims to be.  It's sort of the Wacky Packages equivalent of Journey/Styx/Def Leppard touring and so on - sort of.]
[/quote]

VERY well put.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »
Personally, I'm not a fan of "potty humor and lowbrow gross-out crassness" as you describe it, either.  That stuff doesn't appeal to me and moreso, it actively turns me off.  That said, isn't the introduction of that humor and our reactions to it simply a matter of changing tastes and changing times - and perhaps us simply being set in our ways?  And also it could be younger folks wanting to try something new and to make something "theirs"?

Not saying that you can't still have solid Wacky humor without them - you certainly CAN.  Of course you can.  But that doesn't mean you should or that everyone is going to be satisfied with that and not want to push envelopes, such as they are.  In 2014, it would seem that this other kind of post-GarbagePailKids humor has become a part of what Wacky Packages now are.  Whether WE like it or not.  And that might be the point, too.

Sometimes in these instances, when I have strong reactions to new things like this, I look to other parts of youth culture through the ages and I try to make comparisons.  

Elvis shook his hips and a lot of people got up in arms, saying that was crass and inappropriate.   It turned a lot of people off.  Someone might have said (and likely did) that the hip shaking was unnecessary to the music - and they'd be right, from a certain point-of-view.  I think most of us chuckle at that early criticism of Elvis Presley, and yet many of us who do might be incredibly turned off by Miley Cyrus and her "twerking".   I'd be one of them.  But after some consideration, I can find no fundamental difference between hip-shaking and twerking, other than the era in which they grabbed headlines, and that I'm perfectly comfortable with one and experience discomfort with the other.  

Rock and roll didn't NEED to exist.  Music was fine before it and I'm sure many folks saw no reason to introduce new sounds and styles to the musical landscape.   But in spite of that, things changed.  Because that's life.    

So times change.  It's inevitable and oftentimes difficult for those of us who wish things could stay the same - which is nearly everyone on some level.   It has been said so many ways by so many smart people, scientists and poets alike, and said far simpler and briefer than I'm saying here.  Things changing and evolving is just a fundamental truth and fact of life.  

Considering all of this, when I see Miley Cyrus twerking or Wacky Packages featuring GPK humor, I don't try to stop myself from having my negative reaction to them, but I do try to temper it with an understanding that my reaction perhaps reveals as much about me and where I am in my life as it does about them.  :-)

[Edit:  I wanted to add that, because of all of this I am incredibly grateful when something comes along to service my existing tastes such as they are - and such as Wacky Packages Old School aims to be.  It's sort of the Wacky Packages equivalent of Journey/Styx/Def Leppard touring and so on - sort of.]

As always, Jason, I appreciate your perspective.  To add a bit to it, many adults certainly didn't like (although I don't recall my parents minding and I can't think of other adults with whom I had any personal contact minding them) like Wackys back in the day.  I suppose they saw Wackys as crude and mean and stupid, or whatever negative words they used.  We loved them and I hope kids today love the "new" Wackys, complete with potty humor.  I'll continue, I think, to buy the new ones, but I'll grimace at the potty humor and hope its kept to a minimum.  And, on rare occasion, I may even find the wit and humor, crass as it may be, in some of the gags.  But that sort of "humor" certainly decreases my enjoyment as well as purchasing of them.  And makes me appreciate Old School, and even Chrome, that much more.

On a related note, I opened up probably 200 packs of ANS2, 3, 4, and 5 this past weekend.  I really enjoyed it, even if I had obviously seen all the gags before.  What did stand out to me is how little potty humor existed and those series came out just a few years ago.  I wonder if today's kids would prefer the ANS2-6 Wackys more of the ANS8-11 series?  I do think Topps took a fairly sharp turn (downwards in my opinion, but I realize its just that) over the course of the ANS.  I wonder what was behind that change.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2014, 09:37:54 PM »
Jason and cracked jerk,

Thanks for very well-thought discussions on this matter.  You guys are the kind of guys I would love to sit down over a beer and discuss more controversial subjects.  :-)   

I like the Miley Cyrus to Elvis Presley comparison.  The first thing that comes to mind is some of the latter-day "rap" artists to the early day rap artists (quotes not used on purpose) like Beastie Boys and Run DMC, etc that did NOT glorify misanthropic, pro-gang, pro-drug bullshit.  Did the rap "artists' of today evolve the genre to the good or to the bad? 

I would argue that bringing potty humor and crass bullshit into Wackys is "devolving" the lineage like today's "rappers" are devolving the true "rap" artists who scrapped and clawed to make it a viable music genre.

Getting back to the Miley vs Elvis comparison, I can see the envelope being pushed further and further.  But where is it too far?  Will years from now a budding like-Miley be sticking a big dildo into herself on live TV?  Will the complainers be shunned as "old timers"? 

Wackys=wacky, clever, intelligent
GPK=crass, low-brow, potty, gross-out

That's my take and I am more than ready to be call "old fashioned".   I don't want to see Wacky ANS23 showing some cartoon character vomiting into some other cartoon character's ________   you fill in the blank.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2014, 04:39:06 PM »
So... any definite dates for new releases yet?

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #152 on: July 05, 2014, 10:27:54 AM »
I get a kick over the folks complaining about " potty humor ". For us kids in the 70's buying wackys we saw cards with nits in heads, zit faced cards, & dead dogs etc. & we are offended by diaper filled " potty humor". Really? I loved the offensive cards then &I love them now. I even love the X Rated Cards set. So keep em coming. The more offensive, the better. As far as the kids of today, they are probably laughing at the ANS cards. I was working for a company where we loaded shelves in supermarkets, so I was laying on the floor sideways, loading the back of the bottom shelve, & ripped one out, & thinking" I hope that no one is behind me " so I looked behind me & there was an old guy leaning on his shopping cart, he was looking at me & said " You better put a muffler on that one. I'm 92 years old & fart noises still make me laugh". We both were there cracking up, so there you have it, if I had the " potty humor" cards with me , he would have been ecstatic.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #153 on: July 05, 2014, 01:49:12 PM »
I get a kick over the folks complaining about " potty humor ". For us kids in the 70's buying wackys we saw cards with nits in heads, zit faced cards, & dead dogs etc. & we are offended by diaper filled " potty humor". Really? I loved the offensive cards then &I love them now. I even love the X Rated Cards set. So keep em coming. The more offensive, the better. As far as the kids of today, they are probably laughing at the ANS cards. I was working for a company where we loaded shelves in supermarkets, so I was laying on the floor sideways, loading the back of the bottom shelve, & ripped one out, & thinking" I hope that no one is behind me " so I looked behind me & there was an old guy leaning on his shopping cart, he was looking at me & said " You better put a muffler on that one. I'm 92 years old & fart noises still make me laugh". We both were there cracking up, so there you have it, if I had the " potty humor" cards with me , he would have been ecstatic.

Hey John, Can't believe you feel this way about the potty humor related Wacky's, Definitely wouldn't expect this to come from you Brother.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2014, 06:45:55 PM »
So... any definite dates for new releases yet?

Chrome = 7/23/14
OLDS 5 = 8/?/14
2014 S1= 11/12/14

Offline dth1971

« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2014, 06:52:19 PM »
Chrome = 7/23/14
OLDS 5 = 8/?/14
2014 S1= 11/12/14

Plus Star Wars Wacky Packages 9/2014

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2014, 08:39:14 PM »
Plus Star Wars Wacky Packages 9/2014

Strongly rumored (but not officially confirmed yet?) to be a shelved project that won't be released.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2014, 10:36:54 PM »
Chrome = 7/23/14
OLDS 5 = 8/?/14
2014 S1= 11/12/14

OLDS 5 9/14

Offline dth1971

« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »
Strongly rumored (but not officially confirmed yet?) to be a shelved project that won't be released.

I thought Star Wars Wacky Packages was confirmed and previewed for September 2014 release and I even saw a pre-order blurb for it on tfaw.com !

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
I thought Star Wars Wacky Packages was confirmed and previewed for September 2014 release and I even saw a pre-order blurb for it on tfaw.com !

my impression is one person posted a cancellation rumor on NSU and it spread to all other boards like wild-fire.
There's been no corroborating evidence since then, and all the major sites still have pre-sells up and available.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2014, 05:52:52 PM »
my impression is one person posted a cancellation rumor on NSU and it spread to all other boards like wild-fire.
There's been no corroborating evidence since then, and all the major sites still have pre-sells up and available.

Did that come directly from "S-Nope-s"?  ;)
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline dth1971

« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2014, 07:46:19 PM »

Thanks for the TRUE FALSE statement! Let the Topps booth at the San Diego Comic Con figure it out!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2014, 03:17:49 AM »
Thanks for the TRUE FALSE statement! Let the Topps booth at the San Diego Comic Con figure it out!

Its sound like "The Force" is still with this release. Albeit a weaker/ less monomnetal force than Topps desired, but a Force nonetheless.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2014, 06:57:37 AM »

DUDE,

The Star Wars WP have officially been ......wait for it.....................................CANCELLED!!!REALLY!!! :] :] :] :][/b][/size]

Offline havok77

« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2014, 10:28:28 PM »
i thought it was a horrible idea . glad it got canned

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2014, 03:00:33 AM »
i thought it was a horrible idea . glad it got canned

Not canned. Just maligned, denigrated, ridiculed and limping to market.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2014, 09:20:14 PM »
I get a kick over the folks complaining about " potty humor ". For us kids in the 70's buying wackys we saw cards with nits in heads, zit faced cards, & dead dogs etc. & we are offended by diaper filled " potty humor". Really? I loved the offensive cards then &I love them now.

I imagine that the main reason that 1970s Wackys didn't go farther into bodily function humor was because there was a line of tastelessness that the company just wouldn't cross at the time, because the culture at large didn't either. But by the early '80s gross humor was mainstream; the "Truly Tasteless" joke books and their imitators were a big phenomenon. So when Topps brought out Garbage Pail Kids in 1985 the pop-cultural ante had been upped and depictions of snot and vomit were more permissible (but still transgressive enough to piss off parents and teachers).

Naturally, the 1991 Wackys were informed by a grosser post-GPK aesthetic. And Wacky ANS1 in 2004 resumed in that vein. As the ANS developed, Topps backed off from bodily function humor, and I think that Dave Gross's input was a big factor in steering the ANS sets to a more classic sensibility.

I'm not crazy about overt poop, pee, etc. jokes in Wackys either but I accept that it's here to stay at least in the retail sets. And if the gags are genuinely funny I'll embrace 'em.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2014, 10:02:05 PM »

DEAD

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #168 on: July 11, 2014, 03:16:49 AM »
DEAD

Says who?  It would be nice to see some actual input from Topps on this topic.  DEAD or NOT????

My sense is that a few Topps employees peruse this board. If I saw my constituency claiming a forthcoming release from my
employer was DOA/ Canceled/ Dead I think I would look into the matter and post an update for the fans. Or is that just me?
Maybe "Old School" customer service is not so critical these days......

Offline Swiski

« Reply #169 on: July 11, 2014, 08:30:14 AM »
The new Previews catalog that I picked up from my comic store has it featured inside for ordering.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2014, 06:12:20 PM »
The new Previews catalog that I picked up from my comic store has it featured inside for ordering.

Any new info that hasn't already been posted?

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2014, 06:21:50 PM »
Any new info that hasn't already been posted?
nope.
same old, same old.
used to be Previews was the first place to see new items, now it's one of the last, since it has to be formatted, printed and distributed.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/924?stockItemID=STK647877

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #172 on: July 16, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »
http://www.nonsportupdate.com/upcomingreleases.htm

The Wacky Star Wars set is not listed in the latest Non-Sport Update listing of upcoming sets.  Doesn't mean it's been cancelled, but I would say it's not a good sign that we'll see this set.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2014, 09:49:27 AM »
http://www.nonsportupdate.com/upcomingreleases.htm

The Wacky Star Wars set is not listed in the latest Non-Sport Update listing of upcoming sets.  Doesn't mean it's been cancelled, but I would say it's not a good sign that we'll see this set.

Dude...read my post.......................................................*******STAR WARS WACKY PACKS ARE C A N C E L L E D >( >( >(*******

Offline Simpsonsman120

« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2014, 01:30:57 PM »
I seriously hope the Star Wars Series hasn't been cancelled. I just found out about it this morning, and it seems like a really cool set. I was actually considering buying a box.  :sad:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:34:11 PM by Simpsonsman120 »

anything