Author Topic: 2014 Wacky releases  (Read 59810 times)

Offline crackedjerk

2014 Wacky releases
« on: January 15, 2014, 08:23:31 PM »
The latest issue of Non-Sport Update just arrived in the mail today.  One of the stories is about new 2014 trading card releases.  While there aren't many details, it does list three for Wackys.  Wacky Packages Chrome (June), Old School 5 (August) and Wacky Packages 2014 (November) are the three.  Additionally, there is a pic for each series: Gadzooka for Chrome, Mess for OLDS 5, and a Breaking Wind (Breaking Bad parody) DVD for Wacky Packages 2014. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: 2014 Wacky releases
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:28:06 PM »
Can you post a pic?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
Friggin' suck ass BS Chrome. I hate you Topps.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:35:49 PM »

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 08:36:19 PM »
Yeah, as far as I can tell the GPK Chrome was a fancy super-expensive reprint of the first series. If Gadzooka is the lead, I expect the same. Oy.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »

I was actually kinda looking forward to this one.  Of course, plenty of details remain to be spelled out and I can see how it could be anywhere from great to lousy.  I'm not overly confident in Topps these days in terms of making something we veteran collectors like, but I'll try to remain at least somewhat optimistic.  I like how the chrome Gadzooka in the Topps 75th Anniversary set came out looking.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 08:39:03 PM »

Hold on a min. These could look cool. Depends on if they are doing a new series or OS? I feel Topps has released all the OS stuff they have scans of already so there will be no cool stuff we don't already have. I need to see them in person. I could go for a whole set of patches though. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the patches are the best thing that happened for ANS11!!!!! hands down probably one of the best subsets in a long time. I need more!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 08:43:23 PM »
OK, I saw the scan and these kind of look like foils. No one is holding a gun to our head to buy these. I'm sure all titles are the same as in flashback 1&2. If there is nothing compelling to buy such as special inserts I doubt I will even bother. There has to be more of a catch than foil cards. I have the originals and don't need any more reprints.

I may just wait a month and buy a set from Cardgary for $5

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 08:44:31 PM »
I could go for a whole set of patches though. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the patches are the best thing that happened for ANS11!!!!! hands down probably one of the best subsets in a long time. I need more!

I agree completely.  Other than the very important fact that production is so limited my budget (or my conscience) has allowed me to pick up just one of these.  Got a good one, Kook Aid, but would love to have picked up a full set.  If Topps mass produced these and sold them for $5 each, I'd buy as many as Topps made.  And I can't imagine they are that expensive to make, but perhaps I'm wrong.  I just wish Topps wouldn't limit the numbers on really cool stuff.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »
I agree completely.  Other than the very important fact that production is so limited my budget (or my conscience) has allowed me to pick up just one of these.  Got a good one, Kook Aid, but would love to have picked up a full set.  If Topps mass produced these and sold them for $5 each, I'd buy as many as Topps made.  And I can't imagine they are that expensive to make, but perhaps I'm wrong.  I just wish Topps wouldn't limit the numbers on really cool stuff.

That's what makes them cool and sought after. If they were easy then everyone would have a set. I have no idea of their future plans with these. They probably aren't that hard to make but its so cool they made them as LE inserts. I didn't expect such quality.
If Topps offered a total series of Patches for $5 each it would be amazing. That would be a lot better news than Chrome or ANS12...HaHa
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:05:00 PM by BumChex »

Offline havok77

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 09:47:19 PM »
ok im very excited about chrome . i loved gpk chrome . trust me guys , once you see these in hand you will dig em .

my question is also what series will chrome be based on ?

also has the numbering for wacky packages ended ? the advertisement simply says wacky 2014 ?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 09:48:55 PM »
ok im very excited about chrome . i loved gpk chrome . trust me guys , once you see these in hand you will dig em .

my question is also what series will chrome be based on ?

also has the numbering for wacky packages ended ? the advertisement simply says wacky 2014 ?

Not sure what you mean by ending?

Offline havok77

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 09:56:44 PM »
well topps ended gpk with bns 3 . the upcoming release is being named simply gpk 2014 series one . so it looks like there going to do the same with wacky

and is gadzooka from series one ? if so i guess we can expect the chrome to be based on just series one ? or maybe a collection of the best ones  from 1-4 ? who the heck knows ? im hoping theres some cool inserts . the blac and white gpk chromes were sweet !!!

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 05:56:35 AM »

my understanding is yes, the numbering has ended. the set names will be based on year.

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 05:57:48 AM »
and is gadzooka from series one ? if so i guess we can expect the chrome to be based on just series one ? or maybe a collection of the best ones  from 1-4 ? who the heck knows ? im hoping theres some cool inserts . the blac and white gpk chromes were sweet !!!
was gpk chrome a mix of original series 1 and a bunch of ANS titles?

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 06:27:26 AM »
The latest issue of Non-Sport Update just arrived in the mail today.  One of the stories is about new 2014 trading card releases.  While there aren't many details, it does list three for Wackys.  Wacky Packages Chrome (June), Old School 5 (August) and Wacky Packages 2014 (November) are the three.  Additionally, there is a pic for each series: Gadzooka for Chrome, Mess for OLDS 5, and a Breaking Wind (Breaking Bad parody) DVD for Wacky Packages 2014. 

For the Nov release is that going to be for Reg WP and Collector's Edition?? any idea??

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 07:17:53 AM »
Going to a year numbering for new ANS implies just one set a year, it seems.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 07:46:32 AM »

So does that imply that the 'Collector's Edition' Sets ARE out??

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 10:53:16 AM »
I believe that this upcoming ANS series is being titled, for now, "2014 All New Series 1"
so there would likely be at least two ANS sets per year?

Offline havok77

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 01:51:54 PM »
was gpk chrome a mix of original series 1 and a bunch of ANS titles?

gpk chrome series one was strictly just series one  subjects ... since the series was so strong . the gpk community believes  there will be  gpk chrome for original series 2,3, and 4 eventualy . then from there topps may begin to add the most popular subjects from the series after that . so series 5 could be the best of  5,6,7, . thats what were thinking .

im still not too familiar with the older wacky stuff. so if the original  series one was strong, im guessing it will be based just on that series , and there should be some special inserts in there . i should hope anyways .

i question the accuracy of that non sports magazines release dates . so wacky chrome is coming out  early this year ? and a new series isnt coming out until november ?  and that info sheet isnt even labled correctly , the gpk sticker is listed as wp old school 5. doesnt anyone check these things before there printed ????? makes no sense . there is also no mention og gpk chrome series 2 . which is odd becasue theres no way that there only releasing one gpk product this year .

and i actualy have no problem with topps only releasing one product of wp and one of gpk , as long as its done the right way . i would rather have this then 2 or 3 releases a year of  poor efforts . so a regualr  release and a chrome release would be fine with me .

Offline havok77

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 01:57:29 PM »

dont know for sure , but i know the gpk  product that is being released in a couple of weeks has collectors edition for the first time.  also strange thing is theres been no mention of retail .

collectors edition started with wp with series 10 and 11 correct ? was there retail also ? so hobby , collectors and retail ?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 02:23:46 PM »

I doubt Collector boxes are out. They probably outsold retail by a wide margin.

Andrew

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 03:44:21 PM »
The Year numbering can allow for one or more sets.
for baseball sets there's always more than one e.g. 2014 Series One, 2014 Series Two, etc.
but with Wacky's so late in the year, I would suspect there will only be time for a single set - WP 2014 Series One

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 03:25:03 AM »
gpk chrome series one was strictly just series one  subjects ... since the series was so strong . the gpk community believes  there will be  gpk chrome for original series 2,3, and 4 eventualy . then from there topps may begin to add the most popular subjects from the series after that . so series 5 could be the best of  5,6,7, . thats what were thinking .

im still not too familiar with the older wacky stuff. so if the original  series one was strong, im guessing it will be based just on that series , and there should be some special inserts in there . i should hope anyways .

The Original Series Wackys typically had about 30 titles per series, so I doubt they'll be doing the chrome set based just on one series.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 03:12:38 PM »

In the feature the Wacky Packages OS5 and GPK 2014 entries are transposed by listing!

And couldn't there be another OS5 entry rather than Mess Toy Truck for a preview? I'm still hoping the late Gary "Head and Boulders" Browning's spoof take on Dolly Madison Zingers (Stingers) makes OS5!

Offline WPcollector

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 11:05:12 AM »
Yeah, as far as I can tell the GPK Chrome was a fancy super-expensive reprint of the first series. If Gadzooka is the lead, I expect the same. Oy.

Also expect it to be overproduced. I would highly suggest against pre-ordering anything. The GPK release saw prices go from 800-1000 to 400$ now.

Offline WPcollector

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 11:25:28 AM »

Well, that stemmed from the original belief that chrome s2 was coming out in spring. s2 is a big question mark now.

question the accuracy of that non sports magazines release dates . so wacky chrome is coming out  early this year ? and a new series isnt coming out until november ?  and that info sheet isnt even labled correctly , the gpk sticker is listed as wp old school 5. doesnt anyone check these things before there printed ????? makes no sense . there is also no mention og gpk chrome series 2 . which is odd becasue theres no way that there only releasing one gpk product this year .

The wp old school 5 and gpk 2014 s1 stickers are mixed up.

There's no mention of chrome2 because it may not come out till later this year, the whole release date schedule has been shifted upwards, especially for gpk's. Retailers are still stuck with chromes1 and bns1-3 and that will be the case for some time to come. With the amount of chrome they printed for series 1, it wouldn't surprised me if the release date for chrome2 will only be announced when they are actually close to selling out. It may already be on the docks at a topps wherehouse for all we know, or on the boat over from china but Target simply has no room for yet another gpk release until the previous product sells out.

and i actualy have no problem with topps only releasing one product of wp and one of gpk , as long as its done the right way .

Agreed with this but based on what we saw on the sell sheet there, that's not happening and 2014 will just be more of the same (another blitzkrieg of releases late in the year.

Offline havok77

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »
the old school release will be strictly on the topps website correct ? also if topps learned there lesson with gpk chrome they wont overproduce wackies. i could be wrong but is it safe to say there is a larger market for gpk then wp ?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 03:41:55 PM »
Damn! Topps is pumping out Garbage Pail Kids at double the rate of Wacky Packages! I went to Target today and noticed top loaders, bonus boxes and jumbo packs for the GBP 2014 series already.

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
Way too much stuff. They also had the mini card set, the minikins figures, Christmas cards and valentine's cards all in just the last 2 months.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 09:45:48 PM »
I'ts been a while since ANS11 but I'm still catching my breath. I can wait a bit longer for the next couple releases. Topps is totally saturating the market with every new series.

There is something up with this. In business there are a couple reasons for this; your a public company looking to excite your shareholders or you want to over-inflate your sales for a prospective buyer of your company. Either way you will do whatever you can to move more product to make your numbers.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 06:35:11 AM »
I'ts been a while since ANS11 but I'm still catching my breath. I can wait a bit longer for the next couple releases. Topps is totally saturating the market with every new series.

There is something up with this. In business there are a couple reasons for this; your a public company looking to excite your shareholders or you want to over-inflate your sales for a prospective buyer of your company. Either way you will do whatever you can to move more product to make your numbers.

OR its the big Finale just like with Fireworks!! going out with a bang!!  :-\ :-\

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 03:25:09 PM »
going out with a bang!!  :-\ :-\
The Big Bang Theory?  LOL

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »
another 2014 Series 1 image.
Appears to be a David Gross painting.

spoiler engaged, for now

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 12:41:10 PM »
Way too much stuff. They also had the mini card set, the minikins figures, Christmas cards and valentine's cards all in just the last 2 months.

Topps' lessons learned from the great sports card crash of the 1990s:  NONE.

anything