Author Topic: Wacky Mugs  (Read 13007 times)

Offline Plan 9

Wacky Mugs
« on: December 23, 2013, 05:51:25 PM »
So I bought a mug printing "factory" and I'm making myself some Wacky mugs and I'd like to offer my designs to collectors as well. I've got 7 different designs so far. I may do more eventually. I'm open to suggestions but mainly I make what I like. The printing is bright and saturated. I'm using very high quality sublimation gel inks. I'm only posting a few pics for now so the thread doesn't get weighed down. I can send close up photos of all mugs on request. The mugs are white but I will be able to offer white mugs with red handles and rims in a couple of weeks. Those mugs will cost about $1 more each.
Here are some details.

Mug styles

Mug #1 - packs and logo
Mug #2 - Chock Full / Tasters / Wacky logo
Mug #3 - Monsterettes / Famous Mobsters / Wacky logo
Mug #4 - Bloodweiser / Schmutz / Wacky logo
Mug #5 - Gadzooka / Hawaiian Punks / Wacky logo
Mug #6 - Weakies / Capn Crud / Wacky logo
Mug #7 - De-mented / Shot Wheels / Ajerx (no Wacky logo)

Mug Prices (Shipped)

1 mug - $17.50   
2 mugs - $30
3 mugs - $40
4 mugs - $50
5 mugs - $63
6 mugs - $75
7 mugs - $85

Add $1 for each red handled mug.

*These mugs are only available from me directly.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:50:18 PM by Plan 9 »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Wacky Mugs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »
Who buys a mug printing company? Are these licensed? Are they SmugMug? LOL  :]
They are kind of cool!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »
Is it available via CafePress.com ?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:40:06 PM »
Glad you like them. I was just describing all the sublimation equipment as a "factory". They are not licensed. (Why do collectors concern themselves with such issues?) I make these for myself. As long as I have the designs and the printing gear I'm making them available to anyone who wants copies.

No Cafe Press. The only worthwhile Wacky image you'll find there is Mark Parisi's cartoon. Anyone who wants these Wacky mugs has to contact me to make the purchase. Or you can buy them through ebay. But you'll pay a little more.

These are professional grade dye sublimations. I used very nice quality scans to print the sticker images and pricier gel ink for deep bright colors.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 08:56:19 PM »
Wow! These are NICE! :great:

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 09:18:28 PM »
those look most excellent. nice job!

will there be some ultra rare ones with gold rims?  >:D

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »
Glad you like them. I was just describing all the sublimation equipment as a "factory". They are not licensed. (Why do collectors concern themselves with such issues?) I make these for myself. As long as I have the designs and the printing gear I'm making them available to anyone who wants copies.

No Cafe Press. The only worthwhile Wacky image you'll find there is Mark Parisi's cartoon. Anyone who wants these Wacky mugs has to contact me to make the purchase. Or you can buy them through ebay. But you'll pay a little more.

These are professional grade dye sublimations. I used very nice quality scans to print the sticker images and pricier gel ink for deep bright colors.

Because if they are not sanctioned by Topps these are not collectable. They are nice but have no collector value because they aren't issued or licensed by Topps. They are as valuable as a cheap China knockoff. Anyone can do it. Where is the collecting value?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 10:33:10 PM »
Because if they are not sanctioned by Topps these are not collectable. They are nice but have no collector value because they aren't issued or licensed by Topps. They are as valuable as a cheap China knockoff. Anyone can do it. Where is the collecting value?
So don't collect them. Just buy one because you want a mug with nicely done Wacky imagery. Nobody else is making them so I did it. If you were making them I'd probably just buy one from you. I don't buy things for their collectability. I buy things I like. I guess for you that's a dumb reason to buy something. I can't imagine feeling satisfaction with things I bought just because they have some sort of collectability status.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:34:43 PM by Plan 9 »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 10:37:42 PM »
So don't collect them. Just buy one because you want a mug with nicely done Wacky imagery. Nobody else is making them so I did it. If you were making them I'd probably just buy one from you. I don't buy things for their collectability. I buy things I like. I guess for you that's a dumb reason to buy something. I can't imagine feeling satisfaction with things I bought just because they have some sort of collectability status.

That is why some people don't collect art or a painting of a Wacky image. They feel it doesn't belong to the set. Its odd but that is some collectors mentality. They want to collect something that belongs to a set or series. It's the collectors mentality.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 11:26:45 PM »
That is why some people don't collect art or a painting of a Wacky image. They feel it doesn't belong to the set. Its odd but that is some collectors mentality. They want to collect something that belongs to a set or series. It's the collectors mentality.
You see something you like but you refuse to buy it because it's not "collectible". You never bought a place-mat or a window decoration or a towel without "collectibility status"?  I'm not printing stickers. I'm not making "collectibles". It's a functional item. You and your family never bought a decorated mug before? Birds and butterflies are fine but not Wacky imagery? When I sip my coffee I don't concern myself with the official nature of my cup. I just want nice pictures on it. Whatever mentality that prevents someone from choosing what they like rather than what's official or collectible might need an intervention. Of course, everyone is different. Your view may stop you from buying something you'd actually enjoy but others won't be so short sighted. I'm making mugs as a hobby. I'm not here to do a sales pitch. But I have to challenge anyone who refuses to buy things they like just because they're not sanctioned by some faceless corporation.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 03:30:42 AM »
I don't care that they're not "collectible" one little bit!!  Will buy some after you post pics of the red trim version.  I've been looking for a nice mug for my second office, and these definitely fit the bill.  I might even replace the Star Trek mug at my regular office with a Wacky mug  ;)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 04:11:54 AM »
I don't drink coffee, but if you could make them on a tall "pint" glass I would get some. 

Offline Kook

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 04:21:53 AM »
Are these dishwasher safe?

Isn't there a 7 mug "complete set" price for those of us that want to "collect 'em all"  >:D

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 05:15:04 AM »

So the Lost Wacky's sets that command big bucks and were not sanctioned by Topps are not "collectable". My sense on these mugs is that they may turn out to be "Highly Collectable" if Topps decides they are not OK with a hobbyist selling non-sanctioned goods with their images on them. Now may be a very good time to snag one of these very nice mugs.

Andrew

Offline HENRY.R

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 06:05:33 AM »
Very cool looking mugs,to bad you didn't offer this weeks before Christmas,would have made x-mas gifts & would have grab a handful of them,still very nice!! :great: :great:

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 06:15:30 AM »
So the Lost Wacky's sets that command big bucks and were not sanctioned by Topps are not "collectable". My sense on these mugs is that they may turn out to be "Highly Collectable" if Topps decides they are not OK with a hobbyist selling non-sanctioned goods with their images on them. Now may be a very good time to snag one of these very nice mugs.

Andrew

Ahhh, I hadn't thought of the black-market appeal. I give these mugs two bobbing head partridges.     :great: :great:
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 06:37:29 AM »
Like I said these are kind of cool. For some reason I'm just in this collectors mindset for some reason. I have so much stuff that adding more stuff because they have Wackys on them doesn't always justify it for me.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 06:52:25 AM »
Like I said these are kind of cool. For some reason I'm just in this collectors mindset for some reason. I have so much stuff that adding more stuff because they have Wackys on them doesn't always justify it for me.

Cool items, Wacky or otherwise, don't have to be "collectible" to be desirable.  My mom still loves and wears the Wacky apron I bought her for Christmas when I was about 7 - it's not necessarily licensed, although the fabric might have been, but it is AWESOME and now I wish I had bought the red one too, so we could wear them together now.  Coffee mugs are very practical, as opposed to many officially collectible Wacky products, so why not utilize something that also has an image on it that makes you smile?  I intend to.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 07:00:44 AM »
I'm not a coffee drinker so for me it would have to be some type of collectable. I suppose my kids could use them for hot chocolate?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 07:02:36 AM »
They’d also make great pen/pencil holders for your desk at home or work (I always use coffee mugs for that)

Your favorite Wacky eraser alongside, of course    :-[          (for the uncommon folks who still use pencils)

Throw in a Frito Bandito pencil top eraser, and there’s a nice dose of nostalgia!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 07:06:22 AM »
I'm not a coffee drinker so for me it would have to be some type of collectable. I suppose my kids could use them for hot chocolate?

I use mugs for coffee, tea, hot chocolate and broth or 'cup of soup.'

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 07:43:09 AM »
Mark, these look awesome.  Also it's nice to see you on the forum again.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
Can you do custom WP Mugs? I would like a Flunkies mug.

Andrew

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 09:02:15 AM »
Yeah, I drink tea. Petley and Hipton would look great on a mug!

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 11:07:15 AM »
What would the inside look like if you printed on clear glass? A reversed image or a solid color background? A pilsner or an imperial pint beer glass with something like Blast Blew Ribbon on it would be awesome. I'm into craft beers plus I collect beer glasses so this would be nice to have.......if you did custom ones....... :D

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 02:05:31 PM »
Are these dishwasher safe?

Isn't there a 7 mug "complete set" price for those of us that want to "collect 'em all"  >:D
There's a postage jump at 7. The best I can do on all 7 is $85.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 02:11:33 PM »
Can you do custom WP Mugs? I would like a Flunkies mug.

Andrew
Flunkies isn't high on my list so probably not. I could do custom mugs but I don't think anyone would want to pay a custom price.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »
What would the inside look like if you printed on clear glass? A reversed image or a solid color background? A pilsner or an imperial pint beer glass with something like Blast Blew Ribbon on it would be awesome. I'm into craft beers plus I collect beer glasses so this would be nice to have.......if you did custom ones....... :D
At some point I might do a Wacky beer stein or stainless steel travel mug. But I can't print on clear glass. Frosted glass only. Printing on clear glass requires silk screen printing which over simplifies the artwork and kinda ruins it.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
Oh yeah. They're dishwasher safe.

I added pictures of the other mugs to the first post.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2013, 10:49:39 AM »
Oh yeah. They're dishwasher safe.

I added pictures of the other mugs to the first post.

Great Mugs - Real nice - What is the hieght of the mugs - I am also looking to replace mugs these would be great but they need to hold a lot of coffee!!! if you know how many oz.'s they hold that would be great too!! thx!!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »
Great Mugs - Real nice - What is the hieght of the mugs - I am also looking to replace mugs these would be great but they need to hold a lot of coffee!!! if you know how many oz.'s they hold that would be great too!! thx!!
The mugs hold about 11 ounces of liquid. The measure about 3.7 inches tall. I will be doing some other designs in a 15 ounce size at some point.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2013, 07:13:38 PM »
The red handle mugs are now in stock. Here is an example.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 08:16:19 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
These are great MARK. I've ben collecting brewed coffee for years... but never had anything to keep it in. It just lays around the house in puddles. Your mugs may or may not be collectible... but I could store all my brewed coffee collection in them, making them collectors of a collectible. Wait... do they come pre-filled with coffee? That would make them even more collectible for me, but not assist me with my current coffee collection.
   In either case, I have some mugging to do. I'll PM you my order.

Thanks,
            Smokin' Joe
Smokin' Joe

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2013, 07:42:26 PM »
Mark: any pics of a 15oz example? Would love to see one

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 06:27:08 PM »
Mark: any pics of a 15oz example? Would love to see one
I'm hoping the 15 oz. mugs will arrive tomorrow. But I don't plan on repeating the 12 oz. series in a larger size. I would do some new designs for the larger mugs. as soon as I have one to show I'll post it.

anything