Author Topic: Wacky shoplifting  (Read 14524 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Wacky shoplifting
« on: May 22, 2010, 09:38:10 AM »
This morning I was at a comic book store, and witnessed a boy of about 10 attempting to shoplift 5 Wacky Packages sets - not packs, SETS.  A few minutes later, with nothing in his hands, he went behind the counter while the owner was helping someone else, and he only scooted from there because he realized that I saw him.  When the store owner later asked him where the 5 Wacky sets disappeared to, the kid told him that he had only taken 4 sets out of the rack, and he changed his mind and left those sets someplace else in the store, and he didn't have them.  The kid couldn't show where he put them, because the 5 sets were in his pockets........  

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:40:46 AM by RawGoo »

Taz

Re: Wacky shoplifting
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 12:16:38 PM »
At least the kid had good tatse in the items he was trying to pinch!

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 12:18:31 PM »
LOL!!! Yes but if he gets a record he will be going to "Jail-O"
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »
This morning I was at a comic book store, and witnessed a boy of about 10 attempting to shoplift 5 Wacky Packages sets - not packs, SETS.  A few minutes later, with nothing in his hands, he went behind the counter while the owner was helping someone else, and he only scooted from there because he realized that I saw him.  When the store owner later asked him where the 5 Wacky sets disappeared to, the kid told him that he had only taken 4 sets out of the rack, and he changed his mind and left those sets someplace else in the store, and he didn't have them.  The kid couldn't show where he put them, because the 5 sets were in his pockets........  

What kind of sets were these?  Originals?  ANS?  I have yet to see a collectible store that sells Wackys
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Taz

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »

.....and then there's Bubba!

Offline landoquakes

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »
Did the kid get away from it? Kinda strange lifting multiple sets like that. Maybe they are a hot item. At least you have a comic store that is selling sets of wackies. I was just in a Target today and was surprised to see an opened box of ANS3 for sale. Must be still some old stock floating around.

Offline chipereno

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 03:12:26 PM »
Did you pick up the box?
Unopened in Target seems odd..
Was it the one on 36?

Offline landoquakes

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 03:27:39 PM »
It was an opened box, with some packs missing. I don't remember which kind 36 or not. I looked for an unopened box, but I didn't see any. There was quite a bit more non sports there than I have seen lately. Panini books are back for only a dollar for Toy story 3 and the World of Cars. Too bad the wacky sticker books can't make another run at it.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 05:44:27 PM »

Were these ANS sets? So, he got away with this? I would of told him don't do it, and if he did - ratted him out. That's just me, I really dislike theifs. The kid probably needs a little guidance before it's too late.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 06:10:59 PM »
It was an opened box, with some packs missing. I don't remember which kind 36 or not. I looked for an unopened box, but I didn't see any. There was quite a bit more non sports there than I have seen lately. Panini books are back for only a dollar for Toy story 3 and the World of Cars. Too bad the wacky sticker books can't make another run at it.

I saw an ANS3 box at Target the other day also. I did a double-take when I first glanced at it.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 06:16:54 PM »
That's odd. 2 different posts stating that they've seen ANS 3 boxes currently in Target. Do you guys go to the same Target store, or was this in 2 different area's?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 06:26:26 PM »
That's odd. 2 different posts stating that they've seen ANS 3 boxes currently in Target. Do you guys go to the same Target store, or was this in 2 different area's?

I saw mine in Walnut Creek, Calif.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 08:02:50 PM »

Good taste in trading cards maybe, But as far as trying to steal them, I don't approve of that at all.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 08:05:03 PM »

Good one Ron, If he was to go to Jail-O, Do you think his parents would bring him a "file" on visiting day-LOL.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 03:39:09 AM »
What kind of sets were these?  Originals?  ANS?  I have yet to see a collectible store that sells Wackys
They were ANS2, ANS3, ANS4, ANS5, and Old School sets.  I sell some of my extra sets to the comic store.  In fact, the owner called me Thursday because he had run out, and I was there with my bag-o-Wackys for him.  He had just put them in the rack when the kid came in, and I was so happy to see a kid want Wackys.  It was quite a letdown to discover that he was stealing them.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 03:57:02 AM »
Were these ANS sets? So, he got away with this? I would of told him don't do it, and if he did - ratted him out. That's just me, I really dislike theifs. The kid probably needs a little guidance before it's too late.
Oh no, he didn't get away with it.  The owner and I both saw him take the sets (ANS & OLDS) from the rack, and then he was wandering around looking at the comics.  We were kind of waiting to see if he'd actually buy them, since then I'd replace a few.  And when Glenn was helping someone else, the kid actually had the nerve to go behind the counter and was fiddling with the back of the card rack - he got out of there fast when he saw me heading towards him.  And his hands were empty.  Then he 'shopped' some more, and Glenn asked him where the sets were.  Kid claimed he changed his mind and just left them somewhere, but then couldn't show where, so Glenn asked to see what was in his pockets.  5 sets of Wackys.  He was thrown out of the store, and is banned, unless he comes back with his parents and apologizes.  The kid didn't really even seem fazed.  Glenn said the cops won't do anything about a kid that age.  Being a store owner is tough!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 04:56:16 AM »
They were ANS2, ANS3, ANS4, ANS5, and Old School sets.  I sell some of my extra sets to the comic store.  In fact, the owner called me Thursday because he had run out, and I was there with my bag-o-Wackys for him.  He had just put them in the rack when the kid came in, and I was so happy to see a kid want Wackys.  It was quite a letdown to discover that he was stealing them.

I am curious as to what kind of prices ANS and OLDS sets are getting in a retail environment?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 06:55:28 AM »
Oh no, he didn't get away with it.  The owner and I both saw him take the sets (ANS & OLDS) from the rack, and then he was wandering around looking at the comics.  We were kind of waiting to see if he'd actually buy them, since then I'd replace a few.  And when Glenn was helping someone else, the kid actually had the nerve to go behind the counter and was fiddling with the back of the card rack - he got out of there fast when he saw me heading towards him.  And his hands were empty.  Then he 'shopped' some more, and Glenn asked him where the sets were.  Kid claimed he changed his mind and just left them somewhere, but then couldn't show where, so Glenn asked to see what was in his pockets.  5 sets of Wackys.  He was thrown out of the store, and is banned, unless he comes back with his parents and apologizes.  The kid didn't really even seem fazed.  Glenn said the cops won't do anything about a kid that age.  Being a store owner is tough!
The last part of your story about the kid not being "fazed" is actualy a very sad statement on our society and the values (or lack of) we are teaching (or not) our children...Our most precious asset!

Offline Kook

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 07:31:10 AM »
The last part of your story about the kid not being "fazed" is actualy a very sad statement on our society and the values (or lack of) we are teaching (or not) our children...Our most precious asset!

With all the lawsuits flying around & all the political correctness, it seems to me that many kids have become brazen, thinking they are "untouchable." Pat, what could the store owner do if the kid said NO or MAKE ME when asked to empty his pockets and decided to just walk out? By the time you call the cops, (from what you mentioned won't do any good) the kid will be long gone, and if you try to hold him there, he could yell "assault" or "leave me alone..." and you risk a lawsuit trying to protect your property. I'm surprised the kid forked them right over. These are tough times in this type of situation.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 08:16:16 AM »
With all the lawsuits flying around & all the political correctness, it seems to me that many kids have become brazen, thinking they are "untouchable." Pat, what could the store owner do if the kid said NO or MAKE ME when asked to empty his pockets and decided to just walk out? By the time you call the cops, (from what you mentioned won't do any good) the kid will be long gone, and if you try to hold him there, he could yell "assault" or "leave me alone..." and you risk a lawsuit trying to protect your property. I'm surprised the kid forked them right over. These are tough times in this type of situation.
I know, that's what makes me say how hard it is to own a store nowadays - if the kid had refused, the owner's only recourse would have been to call the cops and hope they got there fast.  There were other people in the store though, maybe that helped make the kid give them back.  Actually, even if the cops wouldn't arrest the kid, that might at least have scared the hell out of him, and prevented him from trying it again.  And, maybe his parents would have found out (and cared).  I found the whole thing very discouraging.

Offline chipereno

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 08:18:48 AM »

Oops sorry I miss read that...Thought for sure I saw the word unopened in that sentence.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 08:46:16 AM »
I know, that's what makes me say how hard it is to own a store nowadays - if the kid had refused, the owner's only recourse would have been to call the cops and hope they got there fast.  There were other people in the store though, maybe that helped make the kid give them back.  Actually, even if the cops wouldn't arrest the kid, that might at least have scared the hell out of him, and prevented him from trying it again.  And, maybe his parents would have found out (and cared).  I found the whole thing very discouraging.
I used to own a "little shop" and you CAN (in Ohio) "legaly" detain a (Juvinile) until the police arive...I do'nt know about the rest of the country??? :^) I believe it is a "State by State" situation :^)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 08:48:16 AM »
I totally would have ratted him out!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 09:00:54 AM »
I used to own a "little shop" and you CAN (in Ohio) "legaly" detain a (Juvinile) until the police arive...I do'nt know about the rest of the country??? :^) I believe it is a "State by State" situation :^)
Perhaps that is also the case here, and that was what the owner meant when he said the cops wouldn't do anything.  I just hope the kid won't try to pull the same thing again.  I would never have even thought of stealing like that, can't even imagine how I would have felt being caught like he was, and this kid really didn't seem to think it was a big deal.........  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:02:47 AM by RawGoo »

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 09:08:34 AM »
Perhaps that is also the case here, and that was what the owner meant when he said the cops wouldn't do anything.  I just hope the kid won't try to pull the same thing again.  I would never have even thought of stealing like that, can't even imagine how I would have felt being caught like he was, and this kid really didn't seem to think it was a big deal.........  
It sounds like "Bad Parenting" to me, I was no saint as a child but I always knew when I was doing wrong and almost always regreted it...I think that's the difference now days.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 09:12:33 AM »
When I was a kid, I was caught shoplifting with a friend (I think it was baseball cards) and the store clerk called in Officer Pickles (that's what he was called) and he scared the bejesus out of us. Sometimes it's worth it for effect. Of course, the cop's beat was right on Main Street in front of the store so it was easy to do.

Forum members have bragged about shoplifting Wackys from Wonderbread or wherever. Maybe he's just a future forum member in the works!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 09:20:17 AM »
When I was a kid, I was caught shoplifting with a friend (I think it was baseball cards) and the store clerk called in Officer Pickles (that's what he was called) and he scared the bejesus out of us. Sometimes it's worth it for effect. Of course, the cop's beat was right on Main Street in front of the store so it was easy to do.

Forum members have bragged about shoplifting Wackys from Wonderbread or wherever. Maybe he's just a future forum member in the works!
This wasn't single stickers, or even packs - the kid had over $40 worth of shoplifted sets in his pockets, and then went behind the counter, who knows what for.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 06:29:09 PM »
Did the kid get away from it? Kinda strange lifting multiple sets like that. Maybe they are a hot item. At least you have a comic store that is selling sets of wackies. I was just in a Target today and was surprised to see an opened box of ANS3 for sale. Must be still some old stock floating around.

Funny you mention that, Lando, as I was in Target tonight and saw a fresh box of ANS3 wackys on the shelf.  The packs with the kind with 5 stickers and a piece of gum.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 06:49:48 PM »
This wasn't single stickers, or even packs - the kid had over $40 worth of shoplifted sets in his pockets, and then went behind the counter, who knows what for.

I'm sure he went behind the counter so he could put his money in the cash register and pay for the items.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 07:32:22 PM »
I'm sure he went behind the counter so he could put his money in the cash register and pay for the items.
My your a trusting soul...LOL!!! :]

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 07:46:23 PM »

Yeah, specially since he knew the store owner wasn't around !   :P

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 08:26:47 AM »
I totally would have ratted him out!

I would have smacked him around a bit (y'now shake him by his arm) and tell him not to turn into a "punk" or tell'm 'the cops are on their way' - Always a good one: "I am going to bring you to the police station myself" - see if that didn't get him pissing in his pants... ;D

As a non-store owners you might be able to get away with that... 8)

Offline Rod Wad

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 09:08:57 AM »
Funny you mention that, Lando, as I was in Target tonight and saw a fresh box of ANS3 wackys on the shelf.  The packs with the kind with 5 stickers and a piece of gum.

I too have seen some at the Target a couple miles from my place.  I was a little tripped-out.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 09:15:26 AM »
I will tell exactly what USPS  flat rate boxes are good for,they are excellent material to cut into smaller pieces makes for excellent shipping practices!!!
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline bigfoot67

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 09:26:46 PM »
I saw mine in Walnut Creek, Calif.

I saw the same box. The Target in Antioch had some misc. ANS 3 packs laying around last week too!
FOLLOW ME, I'LL BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!