Author Topic: Have we seen the end of sketches?  (Read 10896 times)

Offline FourRoses

Re: Have we seen the end of sketches?
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 11:30:36 AM »
Just because you pull something rare, you should be happy regardless of the quality?

If you have a snowballs chance in hell of pulling it? Yes. If you are paying for a product because there is a guarantee of a sketch? No.

Example: Back during the release of the Flashback 2 series, I pulled a printing plate from one of the first packs I opened from a feed at Target. Even if it was a picture of an artist showing me his bare ass I would have still appreciated and enjoyed it because the odds of pulling one were slim to none.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:37:08 AM by FourRoses »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »
Example: Back during the release of the Flashback 2 series, I pulled a printing plate from one of the first packs I opened from a feed at Target. Even if it was a picture of an artist showing me his bare ass I would have still appreciated and enjoyed it because the odds of pulling one were slim to none.
referring to this card?   ;D

[expando]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2013-Wacky-Packages-ANS-11-DIE-CUT-PARALLEL-CARD-55-FRUIT-OFF-THE-MOON-/00/s/NzUyWDU0OQ==/z/4GMAAOxyAc1STPM6/$T2eC16d,!zcFIddzLVuDBSTPM54)kg~~60_3.JPG[/expando]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:30:58 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 04:12:42 PM »
referring to this card?   ;D

[expando]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2013-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Sticker-ANS-11-FRUIT-OF-THE-MOON-55-B-Variation-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjM4/z/3DsAAOxyRhBSrH7x/$_57.JPG[/expando]

Really Pat? Can you make that ass any bigger when we hover?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 04:32:39 PM »
Really Pat? Can you make that ass any bigger when we hover?
hmm. maybe. I'll see if I can find a larger scan for you all.   :P

I just grabbed an image from an ebay auction. didn't realize just how big that ass was!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 12:11:51 AM »
If you have a snowballs chance in hell of pulling it? Yes. If you are paying for a product because there is a guarantee of a sketch? No.

This always prompts me to bring up one of my favorite Mark Twain quotes.  And let me be clear...I've been a collector my whole life, and I also get that uniquely collector thrill when I know I've got something to no one else does....

Even so, this is one of my favorite quotes, and one I often look to, to help keep me grounded about my collecting:

"No one puts bric-a-brac to any very practical purpose. There’s some human instinct which makes a man treasure what he is not to make any use of, because everybody does not possess it." -- From an interview, “Mark Twain in London,” London Chronicle, 3 June 1899, p.3. (Found at twainquoats.com.)"
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline quas

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2013, 05:07:58 AM »
This always prompts me to bring up one of my favorite Mark Twain quotes.  And let me be clear...I've been a collector my whole life, and I also get that uniquely collector thrill when I know I've got something to no one else does....

Even so, this is one of my favorite quotes, and one I often look to, to help keep me grounded about my collecting:

"No one puts bric-a-brac to any very practical purpose. There’s some human instinct which makes a man treasure what he is not to make any use of, because everybody does not possess it." -- From an interview, “Mark Twain in London,” London Chronicle, 3 June 1899, p.3. (Found at twainquoats.com.)"
Jason - Wow, that quote really hits home, personally....thanks for sharing.
Marc

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2013, 08:37:27 AM »
Jason - Wow, that quote really hits home, personally....thanks for sharing.

I think that hit home for most of us.