Author Topic: Moving forum to a new server soon  (Read 22403 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Moving forum to a new server soon
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »
As I mentioned in the 'forum slow down' thread that I am moving the forum to a new server. I have the new server setup but will need some time to move it over. It will take awhile to do this because it will take about an hour alone just to change over the URL to the new server. I also have to do a backup and restore of the database and that could take about 4 hours. I am thinking about doing this tomorrow morning and hopefully it will be back up by the time everyone gets home from work.
If you come to the forum tomorrow and it is down or has a down for maintenance message you will know that it is being moved.
Thoughts?

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
Re: Moving forum to a new server soon
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:05:38 PM »
As I mentioned in the 'forum slow down' thread that I am moving the forum to a new server. I have the new server setup but will need some time to move it over. It will take awhile to do this because it will take about an hour alone just to change over the URL to the new server. I also have to do a backup and restore of the database and that could take about 4 hours. I am thinking about doing this tomorrow morning and hopefully it will be back up by the time everyone gets home from work.
If you come to the forum tomorrow and it is down or has a down for maintenance message you will know that it is being moved.
Thoughts?

Do you have some way to broadcast an e-mail to everyone who has registered an e-mail address?  Might help alert those who don't come on here every day.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 12:29:14 PM »
Do you have some way to broadcast an e-mail to everyone who has registered an e-mail address?  Might help alert those who don't come on here every day.

I can. I plan on doing this tomorrow morning to give me some time if I have issues.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 09:09:20 AM »
The URL change may not happen for 24 hours. It can take anywhere from 2-24 hours. The error that happened yesterday took exactly 24 hours to get fixed with the URL's. That is why the .com address worked last night.
What will happen when the URL gets switched back is the forum will probably look like a mess. I just need to go in and make some quick changes (under 3 min.) and we will be back up and running. The problem is I don't know when the URL will switch so I may not be able to catch it right away.
So far this forum is running very fast on the new server. I sure hope this keeps up!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 10:26:14 AM »
We are now up and running on the new server!!!! Ya!!!!!!!

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 10:44:55 AM »
We are now up and running on the new server!!!! Ya!!!!!!!

Brad - I have noticed that a few posts seem to have gotten lost.  There were definitely some posts in the "Wacky Trivia" thread that have vanished since this morning and I know that I made a reply to Ron regarding "Wilsons Disease" that is no longer in the thread.  Not a big deal to me but thought you might like to know.

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:47:22 AM »
I also see a bug when you click on the link at the top of the page "Wacky Packages Forum" which would normally take you back to the main page where all the discussion categories are.  It now takes you to a page with the following text:

<?php
// pageok
// managed by puppet - hostingcms02
header("Content-type: text/plain");

// Total size of directory
$totalSize = 0;

// List of files in cwd
$dir  = opendir('.');
while (($filename = readdir($dir)) ==! false) {
   $files[] = $filename;
}

// The results of filesize are cached, clear that cache
clearstatcache();

// Total file sizes
foreach ($files as $file) {
  // Add file to total size
  $totalSize += filesize($file);
}

echo "pageok\n\n";
echo "Directory Size: $totalSize\n\n";

?>

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »
Brad - I have noticed that a few posts seem to have gotten lost.  There were definitely some posts in the "Wacky Trivia" thread that have vanished since this morning and I know that I made a reply to Ron regarding "Wilsons Disease" that is no longer in the thread.  Not a big deal to me but thought you might like to know.

Yes, we may have lost a couple threads from when the server did it's backup last night. You can look at the first page and see the last post that was cut off. If you posted later then that one then it would have been removed. Can you add the posts again?
So far this site is really moving fast! We have 16 users online now and it's still moving faster then the other server.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:49:53 AM »
I also see a bug when you click on the link at the top of the page "Wacky Packages Forum" which would normally take you back to the main page where all the discussion categories are.  It now takes you to a page with the following text:

<?php
// pageok
// managed by puppet - hostingcms02
header("Content-type: text/plain");

// Total size of directory
$totalSize = 0;

// List of files in cwd
$dir  = opendir('.');
while (($filename = readdir($dir)) ==! false) {
   $files[] = $filename;
}

// The results of filesize are cached, clear that cache
clearstatcache();

// Total file sizes
foreach ($files as $file) {
  // Add file to total size
  $totalSize += filesize($file);
}

echo "pageok\n\n";
echo "Directory Size: $totalSize\n\n";

?>

Try and do a refresh on your browser. It was doing that for me originally and I deleted my cookies and did a refresh and everything works great now. Also, don't you hit the bottom go button to bring you back? It's faster then going to the top of a thread and then hitting the link on top.

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »
I do hit the bottom "Go" button to go back to the list of threads in the topic I was in.  Once I know that I have read all the new posts in those threads, I usually click on the "Wacky Packages Forum" link to see the list of topics again.  I will try to refresh everything and see what happens.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »
I gotcha. You can also hit the home button on the top menu to do the same thing.
Is everything working for you now?

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »
I gotcha. You can also hit the home button on the top menu to do the same thing.

Everything seems to be working fine here from home.  I will have to see what happens when I am at work on Monday.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 06:44:37 AM »

Hey Brad, just wanted to let you know the forum is running a LOT - lot faster now. Thanks for the improvement !!  :D
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 08:53:52 AM »
Everything seems to be working fine here from home.  I will have to see what happens when I am at work on Monday.
Great job dude!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 08:58:51 AM »
Great job dude!

Thanks everyone! I am just amazed at the speed. I hope it stays consistent.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 01:35:24 PM »
If you posted later then that one then it would have been removed. Can you add the posts again?
So far this site is really moving fast! We have 16 users online now and it's still moving faster then the other server.

Than. Than! THAN!!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 09:30:14 PM »

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 10:31:28 PM »
Huh?
He was correcting your spelling.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 09:09:19 AM »
Huh?
"then" vs "than"
Then relates to time
Than relates to comparison of things
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 09:10:04 AM »

Is the new record of 53 concurrent users a real statistic or an odd happening from the forum switchover?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 09:17:33 AM »
Is the new record of 53 concurrent users a real statistic or an odd happening from the forum switchover?
No, that is a real stat. I didn't even notice it. That's amazing! Did everyone have bad weather yesterday ;)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 03:29:51 PM »
"then" vs "than"
Then relates to time
Than relates to comparison of things

Then is Father Time older than Mother Nature?

Some would rather spell everything then than than.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline bandaches

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 03:30:33 PM »
No, that is a real stat. I didn't even notice it. That's amazing! Did everyone have bad weather yesterday ;)
Maybe your emailing all of the users got some people to check in on the forum that day so we spiked from a high of 30 to 53.  Since then, we have settled to 10 and little by little growing back to our normal average of about 15 concurrent user max.  Not too bad considering the Old School Buzz is wearing off and there is no new wacky product to chase right now.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Maybe your emailing all of the users got some people to check in on the forum that day so we spiked from a high of 30 to 53.  Since then, we have settled to 10 and little by little growing back to our normal average of about 15 concurrent user max.  Not too bad considering the Old School Buzz is wearing off and there is no new wacky product to chase right now.

I have a hunch it was the email. But why not the day the email was sent out? Strange.
 There will be a lull for a bit now until ANS is released.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 02:37:02 PM »
We had 40 concurrent on today so it's getting some traction. Plus we beat Saturdays record with 54 on last night. Ironically it was at around 9pm when both idol and biggest loser was over. Interesting stuff.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:41:31 PM by BumChex »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 02:39:46 PM »
We had 40 concurrent on today so it's getting some traction.
Awesome!  I sometimes stop in to the other forums and rarely is there anyone logged in there.  Did they both officially close up shop?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 02:43:31 PM »
Awesome!  I sometimes stop in to the other forums and rarely is there anyone logged in there.  Did they both officially close up shop?

No idea. I haven't been on there but once or twice to answer a PM. I really never noticed. It's not a competition but I am glad my money invested in the forum isn't going to waste ;)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 02:46:42 PM »
No idea. I haven't been on there but once or twice to answer a PM. I really never noticed. It's not a competition but I am glad my money invested in the forum isn't going to waste ;)
...but it IS a competition and greg has repeatedly stated that he predicts this forum will fail and hence why he left the "old" one up as he feels there has to be a long term place for people to post that isn't censored like his forum.  His making those predictions makes it a contest.  He celebrated mightily when Tom's forum folded and speaks highly of its demise as further evidence of that celebration.  Call it a "subtle competition" if you must.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 02:47:47 PM »
I also think it's funny that people would want to visit a forum using newer forum technology. Hasn't it been stated before that the newer forum format would never fly? I guesss the people with that opinion are not aware that new collectors are more familiar with this style of forum. 

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 04:14:42 PM »
I also think it's funny that people would want to visit a forum using newer forum technology. Hasn't it been stated before that the newer forum format would never fly? I guesss the people with that opinion are not aware that new collectors are more familiar with this style of forum. 
BTW I passed the link to your forum onto John Zeleznik
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 01:25:01 AM »
...but it IS a competition and greg has repeatedly stated that he predicts this forum will fail and hence why he left the "old" one up as he feels there has to be a long term place for people to post that isn't censored like his forum.  His making those predictions makes it a contest.  He celebrated mightily when Tom's forum folded and speaks highly of its demise as further evidence of that celebration.  Call it a "subtle competition" if you must.
Also, the term "involuntary competition" springs to mind. I think there is such a thing. Remember on the schoolyard, if someone challenged you and you declined, you were teased and called a sissy? It’s a common technique to lure someone into a fight – a technique that that plays on man’s inherent fear of being ridiculed by his peers, a phenomenon I believe is a ubiquitous.  (I hope it is, or I’m a freak of nature)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 09:36:04 PM »
Maybe your emailing all of the users got some people to check in on the forum that day so we spiked from a high of 30 to 53.  Since then, we have settled to 10 and little by little growing back to our normal average of about 15 concurrent user max.  Not too bad considering the Old School Buzz is wearing off and there is no new wacky product to chase right now.

What is also odd is there was a huge spike after switching servers but in the last 2 days in June we are averaging 49 users online. It's a hit!

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 05:39:56 AM »
What is also odd is there was a huge spike after switching servers but in the last 2 days in June we are averaging 49 users online. It's a hit!
A four run homer
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 07:15:19 PM »
I don't get it. Why was the forum slow tonight? I am just sick of Godaddy and as I am calling their support the forum all of a sudden sped up. Going to their grid hosting was supposed to eliminate the slow down issue but it obviously hasn't. Most of the time the forum runs pretty fast and I don't know how long the forum was slow tonight but this is crazy. I suppose they view the slow down and just a fraction of the actual up time. It makes me mad! :-X

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 07:16:41 PM »
I don't get it. Why was the forum slow tonight? I am just sick of Godaddy and as I am calling their support the forum all of a sudden sped up. Going to their grid hosting was supposed to eliminate the slow down issue but it obviously hasn't. Most of the time the forum runs pretty fast and I don't know how long the forum was slow tonight but this is crazy. I suppose they view the slow down and just a fraction of the actual up time. It makes me mad! :-X
I didn't notice any slow down tonight.