Author Topic: Hot Items No Longer so hot  (Read 4180 times)

Offline DrDeal

Hot Items No Longer so hot
« on: November 05, 2013, 11:34:49 AM »
Unusual to see Limited Halloween Postcards and 1- 16 Binders not sold out after being around for a week. Sign of the times.

Andrew

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Hot Items No Longer so hot
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 11:39:52 AM »
Unusual to see Limited Halloween Postcards and 1- 16 Binders not sold out after being around for a week. Sign of the times.

Andrew

The postcards are not quit as limited as they used to be. Sketch cards aren't selling for big bucks any more so people aren't making any money flipping them. I'm not quit sure what the deal is with the binders. I know people say they are expensive but even with the crappy spine the artwork is really impressive and as a Wacky collector I want them.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 03:14:54 PM »
The postcards are not quit as limited as they used to be. Sketch cards aren't selling for big bucks any more so people aren't making any money flipping them. I'm not quit sure what the deal is with the binders. I know people say they are expensive but even with the crappy spine the artwork is really impressive and as a Wacky collector I want them.

I am glad the binders are not selling out in two minutes and then being re-sold. Nice to know you will at least be able to get a set.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 05:06:31 PM »
The post cards always seem to up the game compared to other releases. The sketch cards look great this time (with the exception of course) and although they should be selling for much higher than what we've seen, they haven't. It's not an indication on the quality but more so on the saturation we've seen with the hobby.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »
The post cards always seem to up the game compared to other releases. The sketch cards look great this time (with the exception of course) and although they should be selling for much higher than what we've seen, they haven't. It's not an indication on the quality but more so on the saturation we've seen with the hobby.

They (Halloween 2013 sketches) still seem to be going for higher prices than the ANS11 sketches were/are. How many Ajerx sketches do you really want to see over the years (Sorry, Ajerx... just picking on you to make a point). I personally like it better when the sketches are limited to the new titles in that particular release and then they are unique to that release. Not sure why they don't do the same for ANS. I realize each ANS release has many more sketches produced than a Halloween postcard release, but there are 55 titles to choose from. I speculate they probably have artitsts working on sketch cards before Topps has even decided on the 55 titles for the new ANS release.

Am I missing something with Halloween 2013 postcards or is they no way to get a standard sized card with the HELLRAISERETS title? Besides a sketch card, that is.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 06:59:55 PM »
They (Halloween 2013 sketches) still seem to be going for higher prices than the ANS11 sketches were/are. How many Ajerx sketches do you really want to see over the years (Sorry, Ajerx... just picking on you to make a point). I personally like it better when the sketches are limited to the new titles in that particular release and then they are unique to that release. Not sure why they don't do the same for ANS. I realize each ANS release has many more sketches produced than a Halloween postcard release, but there are 55 titles to choose from. I speculate they probably have artitsts working on sketch cards before Topps has even decided on the 55 titles for the new ANS release.

Am I missing something with Halloween 2013 postcards or is they no way to get a standard sized card with the HELLRAISERETS title? Besides a sketch card, that is.

I agree. With Halloween PCs I want sketches of monsters from the series. The sketches should embody the release and should not waver. I'm happy with the sketches I have for this release and don't need to buy any more packs. I got a bunch of color returns and those are really special to me. In the past I sould sell the color sketches. I'm glad the prices of sketches have dropped so I can now add them to my collection. I also think the quality has gone up and that might be to do with a limited number. If you give an artist 200 cards compared to 50 what do you think the results will be?

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 10:07:14 AM »
  I know people say they are expensive but even with the crappy spine the artwork is really impressive and as a Wacky collector I want them.

One of these days you will realize that people in the real world can't buy everything they want.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 06:15:05 PM »
One of these days you will realize that people in the real world can't buy everything they want.

I know that but there are deals to be found in the resale market.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 03:32:18 AM »
I wonder if the Limited Halloween sets languishing will spur a meeting at Topps to discuss the future of sketches and their ability to move product. I think they need a new strategy.

Andrew

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 05:59:51 AM »
I wonder if the Limited Halloween sets languishing will spur a meeting at Topps to discuss the future of sketches and their ability to move product. I think they need a new strategy.

Andrew

I think they have to.  With the prices increasing and the after market demand for sketches all but gone, there is no incentive to buy more than one or two sets.  You used to be able to buy many, and sell a sketch or two and break even.  Now people are buying just what they need, not the extra sets hoping to hit the jackpot.  And the sketch buyers are waiting to buy them on ebay since they are now selling pretty cheaply.
Still looking for Series 17

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 06:44:50 AM »
I think they have to.  With the prices increasing and the after market demand for sketches all but gone, there is no incentive to buy more than one or two sets.  You used to be able to buy many, and sell a sketch or two and break even.  Now people are buying just what they need, not the extra sets hoping to hit the jackpot.  And the sketch buyers are waiting to buy them on ebay since they are now selling pretty cheaply.

I took a chance on extra sets, hoping to pull some sweet sketches that I'd never get a chance at on ebay.  I'm debating trying 3 more sets.  I still also would like to end up with one nice sketch for each of the 9 titles, but I might be stopping that.  A free shipping event would probably influence me.

Offline Shrunken Donuts

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 07:02:18 AM »
I think they need to rethink their strategy on more that just the sketches.  One thing they need to do is just slow the hell down a little bit.  Collectors are clearly overwhelmed. Why wouldn't they be when they're still trying to complete a set and Topps is throwing two new releases their way to collect.  And all this chase stuff they make you collect within all these fast and furious releases is absolutely maddening. Especially when this "rare" chase stuff has no resale value a year later because Topps had released 3 new things since then and nobody cares about that thing from a year ago anymore. It's oversaturation at its ugliest.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 03:32:27 AM »
I think its interesting that Topps seems to have stopped doing Card size Promo cards to help move some new items. The Halloween and Cereal Posters are a good example. We got three diff Card Size Promo cards to thanks us for buying boxes of posters series 1.  We got the Wacky Gone Wonky Promo cards to get us to buy three copies of one of the Comics. Maybe they need to go back to that strategy to help future PC cards move.
You get one of three Mini Postcard Promo Cards with alternate PC art with the purchase of each Limited PC set. Keep the Sketches but add the Promo card.  We already have 5 of the Mini PC Cards so it would be a continuation of that format.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 08:49:30 AM »
Topps does need to separate releases in a bit more logical manner. Whether it is online releases or retail releases, people can only buy so much. Coinside releases with the seasons or holidays that would spark buying. In regards to sketches, when people are buying a set for the included sketch, I believe the bar has to be held to the same standard for every artist. As much as I hate to say it (w/o naming names) certain artists just command quality while others get a bit lazy.