Author Topic: "Roughs to Order" Idea  (Read 6934 times)

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
"Roughs to Order" Idea
« on: November 05, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
Hi Everyone! I wanted to float an idea out there, and see what kind of response there is. I've done over 500 roughs for Topps, and almost 100 have ended up as ANS Wackys. Would there be any interest in folks from the Wacky Forum hiring me to turn their ideas into roughs for submission to Topps? I'd be willing to create a rough based on your description, and could submit it for you, or mail the rough to you to do with as you please. Is there a market for this? What would be a fair price? I'd enjoy hearing what you all think. If you'd prefer to contact me directly, you can reach me at pzies@defensegroup.com. Thanks! - Pete

Offline Jean Nutty

Re: "Roughs to Order" Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 01:05:11 PM »
Interesting idea - I like it!

It might be time for me to have someone create roughs of Mick Jaggermeister or Robert Mitchum Roll-On Deodorant. I guess they’d be Old School titles due to their dated references. BTW, an Old School celebrity Wacky subset would be fun!

For a black and white rough sketch, maybe $60 - $100, depending on how detailed? That price range is based on the production of the drawing and not the aspect of having the artwork submitted to Topps for potential inclusion in a future Wacky release, which certainly has value above and beyond the art, so I’d say closer to the top end of that range.

I’m wondering what size most roughs are. Larger than a standard sketch card, right?

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 10:23:32 AM »
I agree that this sounds like a really cool idea.  I can't say I have any wacky ideas floating in my brain that I'd want to either have submitted or turned into a rough just for myself, but I would definitely think about it and contact you if I came up with one.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:24:35 AM »
By the way, it might get you some more attention to have this post in the main section of the forum.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »
Hi Everyone! I wanted to float an idea out there, and see what kind of response there is. I've done over 500 roughs for Topps, and almost 100 have ended up as ANS Wackys. Would there be any interest in folks from the Wacky Forum hiring me to turn their ideas into roughs for submission to Topps? I'd be willing to create a rough based on your description, and could submit it for you, or mail the rough to you to do with as you please. Is there a market for this? What would be a fair price? I'd enjoy hearing what you all think. If you'd prefer to contact me directly, you can reach me at pzies@defensegroup.com. Thanks! - Pete

Just out of curiosity, what happens in the (unlikely) case that one of my submitted roughs (through you) is accepted by Topps?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:58:32 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what happens in the (unlikely) case that one of my submitted roughs (through you) is accepted by Topps?

you receive a lifetime 5% discount for all Topps products

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »

You are going to charge people for giving you ideas to submit? They should get paid, no? Would they get the money if it's accepted?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 02:23:23 PM »
You are going to charge people for giving you ideas to submit? They should get paid, no? Would they get the money if it's accepted?

That is what was at the crux of my question a few posts above, also. I can see it being worth a fee if I was passionate about some Wacky ideas I had and was purchasing the experience, name recognition with Topps and artistic talent of someone already with their foot in the door, so to speak, having successfully submitted titles in the past. I would expect that if the idea were accepted that the payment from Topps would be passed back to the originator, perhaps minus a reasonable percentage for the "consulting" services offered. I do think it slightly suspect the original poster did not give their name.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 07:29:40 AM »
from an old post, roughwriter provided his name a while back

Like I said, I'm the guy who came up with the design of Bit-O-Hairy, and I wasn't given any sketch cards to fill in. I don't see how you will find one. Sorry, - Pete Zies