Author Topic: Original Series 1 - 16 Binder Set Blank Spine Issue Rectification Discussion  (Read 8561 times)

Offline DrDeal

Given the large investment many of us have made in purchasing these limited binders to store our original series cards ; I thought it might make sense to start a separate discussion on this topic.  Now that we have received binders 1 - 12 and can see what they look like displayed with their blank spines. I propose a sticker sheet in the wacky pack font of the logo in individual letters. There are 13 letters in the logo and you could start on the second binder and leave a two binder spaces between the two words. This would cover 17 binders.  They could also make series specific character stickers sets to go on each of the 16 binders. The sticker sheet could have 3 to four characters and be printed so it nicely fits on the binder spine. There could be one sticker per binder that has the Logo Letter on top and the characters underneath so all the sets will look the same when the stickers are affixed to them. Topps knows how to print stickers so this should not be a stretch for them. These sets cost $1040 each and a fix would be a nice goodwill gesture. The stickers could be sent out with the free Lost 17th Series Binders . I applaud the awesome artwork on these binders and am happy to own them even if a fix never transpires. I figured its worth a shot to get the discussion out there in its own thread. Maybe Topps will see it and maybe they will respond in a way that makes us feel our opinions are valued.

Andrew
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:21:07 AM by DrDeal »

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
Given the large investment many of us have made in purchasing these limited binders to store our original series cards ; I thought it might make sense to start a separate discussion on this topic.  Now that we have received binders 1 - 12 and can see what they look like displayed with their blank spines. I propose a sticker sheet in the wacky pack font of the logo in individual letters. There are 13 letters in the logo and you could start on the second binder and leave a two binder spaces between the two words. This would cover 17 binders.  They could also make series specific character stickers sets to go on each of the 16 binders. The sticker sheet could have 3 to four characters and be printed so it nicely fits on the binder spine. There could be one sticker per binder that has the Logo Letter on top and the characters underneath so all the sets will look the same when the stickers are affixed to them. Topps knows how to print stickers so this should not be a stretch for them. These sets cost $1040 each and a fix would be a nice goodwill gesture. I applaud the awesome artwork on these binders and am happy to own them even if a fix never transpires.
I figured its worth a shot to get the discussion out there in its own thread. Maybe Topps will see it and maybe they will respond in a way that makes us feel our opinions are valued.

Andrew

I wish I could still buy their stock that way I could go to their annual meeting and RAISE HELL!!! They would hear me then!!!
Those stickers would be on those spines the next week!!
I do love the idea - we have to speak with JASON OVER THERE HE'S THE NEW GUY!!
I'M IN!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
I'm all for something cool. Hopefully Neil can work with Topps on this.

Offline Ruffs

This is a weak effort on whoever is the final say for the binders. They could have wrap the fantastic art around the binder but to add something now like a sticker to fit the binder is not a good idea. Eventually a sticker will most likely peel off in time so the best thing for us binder owners is just live with it!!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
By any chance does the spine have a clear plastic outer covering? If so, it might be possible to carefully slit the top open, and slide an insert down behind that clear covering.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
By any chance does the spine have a clear plastic outer covering? If so, it might be possible to carefully slit the top open, and slide an insert down behind that clear covering.

Nope.
These are made from canvas covered hardboard. Gives them more a 70's feel than the modern vinyl types and I think makes the art look better too.

Offline DrSushi

Nope.
These are made from canvas covered hardboard. Gives them more a 70's feel than the modern vinyl types and I think makes the art look better too.

Canvas, hmm. Maybe one of the artists could paint custom art on the spines.

Offline Slaytex99

Canvas, hmm. Maybe one of the artists could paint custom art on the spines.

It seems so hopeless with canvas...it is a nice material but that is it, no chance to change it.  Damn topps!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
It seems so hopeless with canvas...it is a nice material but that is it, no chance to change it.  Damn topps!

I really like the canvas. The art looks amazing.

Offline DrDeal

This is a weak effort on whoever is the final say for the binders. They could have wrap the fantastic art around the binder but to add something now like a sticker to fit the binder is not a good idea. Eventually a sticker will most likely peel off in time so the best thing for us binder owners is just live with it!!
I could live with a sticker made to fit the spine. They could come up with an adhesive that works well with the canvas. The stickers would be cool
to own even if you opted NOT to put them on your binders. Topps is in the business of making stickers so they should be able to offer something here.

Offline Slaytex99

I really like the canvas. The art looks amazing.

Sorry I meant about putting a sticker on it.  I am sure the canvas is very nice in and of itself and the artwork is amazing.  I was just thinking about the spine.

Offline bigtomi

The art looks amazing.
I'd say this is the most overused word in the English language today...and is a pet peeve of mine. Just sayin.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
I'd say this is the most overused word in the English language today...and is a pet peeve of mine. Just sayin.

How about awesome?   ;)
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrDeal

I would put "awesome" ahead of "amazing" as the most overused word.

Andrew

Offline lucidjc

Andrew

I would put "cool" ahead of awesome and amazing as the most overused word.

Jim

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
I would put "cool" ahead of awesome and amazing as the most overused word.

Jim
Don't forget excellent... I still use cool and awesome, and am too set in my ways to change ;)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Don't forget excellent... I still use cool and awesome, and am too set in my ways to change ;)

How about Groovy?

Offline Monsterettes

How about Groovy?
Now that word doesn't get used enough!

Offline Jean Nutty

This thread has a nice ring to it. How often do we get to have a Blank Spine Issue Rectification Discussion?    Not to make fun – I agree the blank spines look like crap.

Love the word “rectification”               it’s so old school

PS
I nominate the word “like” as the most overused word in the history of speach

Offline sco(o)t

This thread has a nice ring to it. How often do we get to have a Blank Spine Issue Rectification Discussion?    Not to make fun – I agree the blank spines look like crap.

PS

And I nominate "ironic" as the most misused word in the past 15 years.

Offline lucidjc

PS

Yes, I agree...the blank spines, they really rectum.

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
I totally agree that the binders look incomplete without any graphics or text.  After the first set came out, I actually created my own spine graphics, as I felt they looked so bad without any logos on them.  So I have the logo on the left and the series info on the right (it's 2 separate stickers on each end, allowing the color of the spine to show in the center).  I also put black paper on the inside covers and clear outer covers over the outside to insure that the stuck-on spine graphics would catch at the edges.  It was a lot of work to assemble all this, but I think it really improves the quality of the binders.  Here are some images:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:57:59 AM by Tic_Toc »

Offline sco(o)t

I totally agree that the binders look incomplete without any graphics or text.  After the first set came out, I actually created my own spine graphics, as I felt they looked so bad without any logos on them.  So I have the logo on the left and the series info on the right (it's 2 separate stickers on each end, allowing the color of the spine to show in the center).  I also put black paper on the inside covers and clear outer covers over the outside to insure that the stuck-on spine graphics would catch at the edges.  It was a lot of work to assemble all this, but I think it really improves the quality of the binders.  Here are some images:

Those look so much slicker. Very nice job. How did you affix the spine labels... just printed on sticker backed paper?
Are the clear covers something you purchased or created yourself?

Attn Topps:   Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda!

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
Those look so much slicker. Very nice job. How did you affix the spine labels... just printed on sticker backed paper?
Are the clear covers something you purchased or created yourself?

Attn Topps:   Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda!

The spine graphics were printed on high quality bond paper, and I just put gummy double-stick tape on the back.  I then cut them all out to the final size with an X-acto knife.  The gummy tape is strong but you can get it off if you need to without damaging the binder surface, which is good if you make a mistake.  The clear covers I ordered through our creative library here at work, though I think they can be ordered online directly from the vendor.  They're made by Broadart, stock number 11 075 070.  The only problem is that they're not long enough to wrap around the back inside the way they're supposed to, so I had to tape the back flap into the back inside of the binder.  But with the black paper covers and black tape, you can't really see it.

If anyone wants the artwork file I created for the spine graphics, I'd be happy to share it.  Just PM me your email and I'll send it out.  The original file is in Adobe Illustrator, but I can save it out as a PDF that any computer should be able to open.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
I love what you did here Craig. I'm going to look for some of those binder covers and glue the wacky packages logo to the cover.
I also love what you did with the T-shirts. Can you explain this to us? I know you are a retail guy and it shows in your display. Hanging up the t-shirts would be cool.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
I totally agree that the binders look incomplete without any graphics or text.  After the first set came out, I actually created my own spine graphics, as I felt they looked so bad without any logos on them.  So I have the logo on the left and the series info on the right (it's 2 separate stickers on each end, allowing the color of the spine to show in the center).  I also put black paper on the inside covers and clear outer covers over the outside to insure that the stuck-on spine graphics would catch at the edges.  It was a lot of work to assemble all this, but I think it really improves the quality of the binders.  Here are some images:

Amazing! ;)

Seriously though, these look MUCH better than the originals. This is something else I've been noticing a lot lately: the basics of art/style are not happening in a lot of places they should.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
I love what you did here Craig. I'm going to look for some of those binder covers and glue the wacky packages logo to the cover.
I also love what you did with the T-shirts. Can you explain this to us? I know you are a retail guy and it shows in your display. Hanging up the t-shirts would be cool.

Great binder inserts! Speaking of which, here's another inside sketch I did for the series 1 binder!

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!

Thanks!  Yes, I do work designing store fixtures for Hallmark, so I'm pretty well attuned to store fixtures and displays.  The T-shirts are actually just wrapped around 12x12 corrugated cardboard blanks.  Then they're just sitting in 24"clear plexiglass trays that are made to hang off of standard wire grid panels.  Most larger cities have store fixture suppliers that sell this stuff to the public as well as the industry, if you're looking for a clean way to display wacky stuff.  You can also get wire hooks there to hang things like blister packs or anything else with a hook hole in it.  You can get some of this a hardware stores too, but they have a much better variety at the store warehouse places. 

Offline Joe G.

Great binder inserts! Speaking of which, here's another inside sketch I did for the series 1 binder!

Neil, I saw you drawing that at the show and it came out spectacular!  The text is great as well.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Neil, I saw you drawing that at the show and it came out spectacular!  The text is great as well.

It was almost too much fun to call work!

Offline bigtomi

I would not, at least in my experience. I've found "awesome" is used mostly in its appropriate context...whereas everybody thinks everything is f--king amazing. 'course, it could be that, being from an "older" generation, I'm not around folks who say "awesome" much.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
I would not, at least in my experience. I've found "awesome" is used mostly in its appropriate context...whereas everybody thinks everything is f--king amazing. 'course, it could be that, being from an "older" generation, I'm not around folks who say "awesome" much.
"wow. just, wow"

that's more of an internet thing, but I'm amazingly sick of it.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
LOL
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Plastered Peanut

Thanks!  Yes, I do work designing store fixtures for Hallmark, so I'm pretty well attuned to store fixtures and displays.  The T-shirts are actually just wrapped around 12x12 corrugated cardboard blanks.  Then they're just sitting in 24"clear plexiglass trays that are made to hang off of standard wire grid panels.  Most larger cities have store fixture suppliers that sell this stuff to the public as well as the industry, if you're looking for a clean way to display wacky stuff.  You can also get wire hooks there to hang things like blister packs or anything else with a hook hole in it.  You can get some of this a hardware stores too, but they have a much better variety at the store warehouse places. 

Craig I love the flat trays you have the binders so neatly arranged.  I just have mine sitting on top of one another.  Are those standard inbox office trays or something more unique?
Send me your borderless wackys!

anything