Author Topic: suggestions please  (Read 4555 times)

Offline havok77

suggestions please
« on: October 24, 2013, 10:59:14 PM »
hello everyone , i am new to wacky packages . i have finaly decided to start a collection.  i am wondering what the overall reaction to the newest  series 11 is ? is this a good way to start ? i have seen a few of the cards and i do like them . any series in particular i should avoid ? any particular series that is very popular with the collectors ? any suggestions or advice would be great .

Offline lucidjc

Re: suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 12:06:43 AM »
hello everyone , i am new to wacky packages . i have finaly decided to start a collection.  i am wondering what the overall reaction to the newest  series 11 is ? is this a good way to start ? i have seen a few of the cards and i do like them . any series in particular i should avoid ? any particular series that is very popular with the collectors ? any suggestions or advice would be great .

Just my opinion, but maybe you should start slow. Check ebay for some inexpensive sets/boxes from older series. There are images of just about every set there is. Either on this forum, or the web. Explore and see what you really like. There are lots of people on here willing help you get started. Have fun, but there can be an addiction downside, please read all warnings in triplicate!!!

Welcome

Jim
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 01:38:53 PM by lucidjc »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 04:15:42 AM »
It depends on where you're coming from. If you collected the original series in the '70s I think pursuing those will ultimately be most gratifying.

Offline havok77

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:18:26 PM »
well im gonna start with a bonus  box of series 11 . but help me out here guys ? theres gotta be a set or sets that are realy popular with  the wacky packages fan base . something you cant go wrong with . for example ,  garbage pail kids original series 1 ,2,3,  etc etc ... everyone loves those .

Offline havok77

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 10:48:46 PM »
ok just looked on ebay , looks like there were no bonus boxes for series 11 ? am i right ? just hobby and collectors boxes ?

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 01:18:13 AM »
well im gonna start with a bonus  box of series 11 . but help me out here guys ? theres gotta be a set or sets that are realy popular with  the wacky packages fan base . something you cant go wrong with . for example ,  garbage pail kids original series 1 ,2,3,  etc etc ... everyone loves those .

Are you doing this for you? Or, everyone???

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 03:46:13 AM »

I'm going on the belief that you're asking about ANS Wackys, not original issues.  IMO, all of the ANS Wacky sets have some outstanding titles, and a few that are duds.  I have a particular fondness for ANS1, if for no other reason than that it was SO cool to find Wackys in TRU on my lunch hour and then rip open those packs before I even left the parking lot.

ANS2 was extra fun because of the subset of classic Wackys inserted (both as clings and magnets.)  I also especially like ANS4, as that set had so many titles I considered outstanding.

Boxes are pretty reasonable - why not start with ANS1 and work your way through them?

Offline havok77

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 08:26:34 AM »
Are you doing this for you? Or, everyone???

for me ? ha ha not sure what your asking .

Offline havok77

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 08:27:53 AM »
I'm going on the belief that you're asking about ANS Wackys, not original issues.  IMO, all of the ANS Wacky sets have some outstanding titles, and a few that are duds.  I have a particular fondness for ANS1, if for no other reason than that it was SO cool to find Wackys in TRU on my lunch hour and then rip open those packs before I even left the parking lot.

ANS2 was extra fun because of the subset of classic Wackys inserted (both as clings and magnets.)  I also especially like ANS4, as that set had so many titles I considered outstanding.

Boxes are pretty reasonable - why not start with ANS1 and work your way through them?

well i havent had much time to do much research yet .  i will be looking for some images of past sets to see what i like. dont want to see them aall as i want to have some kind of surprise when opening packs. but thanks so much for the suggestions.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 09:05:47 AM »
for me ? ha ha not sure what your asking .
lucidjc's point is that you shouldn't be concerned with what everyone else likes, you should collect what you like.

Wacky collecting is quite personal, especially regarding the newer series. There is so much to choose from, that it is difficult to "recommend" anything. The idea of nostalgia collecting is a good one, though...but if you never collected in the past, it's kind of tough to have any nostalgia, LOL. Best of luck and enjoyment in whatever you choose!

Offline havok77

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »
ok i get it . but there usualy is somehting that stands out , that most of the collectors realy enjoyed. for example the first few garbage pal kids  series . those are amazing and i have never heard a fan say they didnt like those early releases . which is why i asked for suggestions .

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 12:40:17 PM »
ok i get it . but there usualy is somehting that stands out , that most of the collectors realy enjoyed. for example the first few garbage pal kids  series . those are amazing and i have never heard a fan say they didnt like those early releases . which is why i asked for suggestions .
It's hard to answer because there are so many different ways to collect.  To suggest two different approaches you could consider:

1. Collect the vintage wacky packages that came out from 1973 to 1977.  All collectors would agree they love those, like GPK collectors love the series that came out in the 1980s.  You'd need to go to ebay or buy from people here on the forum to get these since of course Topps isn't selling them anymore.

2. Collect the series that came out recently, from 2005 to 2013.   In that time period three basic different types of wackys were released.  The All New Series (ANS 1-11); Flashbacks, which are reprints of wackys from the 1970s now with psychedelic backgrounds; and Old School wacky packages, which are modern, but depict products from the 1970s.   For modern wackys, it depends on whether you want to indulge in 1970s nostalgia (Flashbacks and Old School), or parodies of products from the present (ANS1 - ANS11).   If you want to go for parodies of modern products, the later the series feature more body fluid / function humor.  So if you want to avoid that, buy earlier ANS series. If you don't mind (or like) that, go with later series ANS 10 or 11.  It's actually more complex than what I've outlined here, but I figure this is already TMI! 

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 12:47:47 PM »
lucidjc's point is that you shouldn't be concerned with what everyone else likes, you should collect what you like.

Wacky collecting is quite personal, especially regarding the newer series. There is so much to choose from, that it is difficult to "recommend" anything. The idea of nostalgia collecting is a good one, though...but if you never collected in the past, it's kind of tough to have any nostalgia, LOL. Best of luck and enjoyment in whatever you choose!

Thanks Tom, that's what i was getting at.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 12:48:10 PM »
similar to what Monsterettes says above:

I think most everyone on here would point to the first few series of Wacky's from the 70's, say series 1 to 4, as their favorites. Almost all of us here were kids in the 70's collecting these and those were our first sets to pick up and so they hold massive nostalgia for us (beside being totally awesome, of course).

for me, if I'm only talking the modern sets, I'd say ANS 3 to 5. I found those sets to be where ANS really hit its stride with look/feel, overall set design and the price point. Series 6 is where the bloat and price hikes began and the collecting experience changed.

Offline havok77

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 01:06:58 PM »
thanks guys , i appreciate all the posts .

Offline havok77

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 04:43:37 PM »
i have looked at some of each ans series from 1 to 11 . looks like everyone  has some realy good ones and some not so good. im just gonna go ahead and start with ans 1 . buy a box of each series . my favorites so far is the garbage pail parody , ant jemima and trashformers and my little bony.

anyone want to rate the ans series from best to worst ?

also  looks like topps is gonna do the collectors box think with gpk . looks like they began doing this with wacky ans 10. what are your thought on these boxes ? are they worth it ? are the extras nice ? or just  lousy filler ?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:45:25 PM by havok77 »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 07:34:26 AM »

If I can make a suggestion, start with the Wacky Halloween postcards!

Offline havok77

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 09:59:04 PM »
so i was able to get a lot of boxes on ebay  all from the same seller. i got a box of each series 1-11 and flashback one .

anything