Author Topic: ANS11 Favorites  (Read 13838 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
ANS11 Favorites
« on: October 05, 2013, 07:45:55 AM »
From my first review of the 1-55 titles, my favorites are:

SurReal - nicely detailed, and I really like the Dali reference and aspects
Ding Kongs - the package looks great, fantastic monster, and some good gags.  Surprised this made it with Hostess MIA for a while
Polluted Spring - the bottle, trash contents, label and lid are done really well, and I love the three eyed frogs; all tie into the gag
Pizza Trolls - great gag and art, neat trolls, and the extra lines about the goat and the bridge seal the deal
Loaf - the gag goes well with the real item, and it looks great.  The Lazy bag at the bottom is a great touch
Compost-it - good gag, and the stuff coming out is well done (including the poor guy at the bottom)
Benjamin Morgue - great reaper, great can lid, good gag, and the foot and toe tag line with "brush" is funny
Raisin Brawn - something about that muscular sun kicking sand on the others, like the big bully in old comic book ads, really makes me smile.  The package itself looks really good, and the "no pain, no grain" is funny

With some other titles I just couldn't get past all the butt/fart/poop/toilet/vomit/booger/crotch jokes in the series (I think there were 12 out of 55).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:56:15 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Final Step

Re: ANS11 Favorites
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 02:21:36 PM »

With some other titles I just couldn't get past all the butt/fart/poop/toilet/vomit/booger/crotch jokes in the series (I think there were 12 out of 55).

You are right. I thought that was what Topps created Garbage Pail Kids for?

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 04:39:39 PM »
My favorites so far - my little bony (great visual side gags), wig newtons (the guy drawn with the wig has a funny 'this looks good, right ?' Expression on his face), mobster high, and spray poopon because it's an outrageous gag and yeah , that's what a civilized ape at a zoo would really want to do if he had his druthers, lol...
A

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 08:06:51 PM »
My favorites so far - my little bony (great visual side gags), wig newtons (the guy drawn with the wig has a funny 'this looks good, right ?' Expression on his face), mobster high, and spray poopon because it's an outrageous gag and yeah , that's what a civilized ape at a zoo would really want to do if he had his druthers, lol...
A

A few of my favorites in this ans 11 series are Preparation Ape, Minute Maim, and Ocean Slay. All of the ones related to parodies on butts, etc. should have been made when the 1991 series was being done, The 12 or so ones that were done in this new series rank up there with Snot/Blow, Donkey Nose Pizza, etc.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:46:35 PM »
Here are some of my favorites.

I know it’s not PC, like George’s Leiatard sketch (which I also like) but Little Seizures really cracks me up! I sometimes have seizure issues when I’m asleep, so I’m allowed to laugh, right?!

And some other titles I am enjoying. I particularly like this artwork and find these gags pretty good.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 10:04:34 PM »

I know it’s not PC, like George’s Leiatard sketch (which I also like) but Little Seizures really cracks me up! I sometimes have seizure issues when I’m asleep, so I’m allowed to laugh, right?!

And some other titles I am enjoying. I particularly like this artwork and find these gags pretty good.

(Image removed from quote.)

I love dripsies too but the tag line killed it. I love the gag as far as Wackys go character wise. Take a leak everywhere you go? What does that mean? Another potty joke?
I rally like Applebeast also. Really nice!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:06:58 PM by BumChex »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 10:54:51 PM »
Anyone know which exact pony character is spoofed in the My Little Bony parody? I can't seem to locate the exact "real packaging" online. Sometimes I hate when an artist takes too much creative liberty with the packaging.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 11:41:04 PM »
Anyone know which exact pony character is spoofed in the My Little Bony parody? I can't seem to locate the exact "real packaging" online. Sometimes I hate when an artist takes too much creative liberty with the packaging.

Check out the Joe G. Thread and you'll see the My Little Pony rough which includes the exact Pony/Package used for the gag.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 05:55:50 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Those two Rude Foods are very good!  I don't have any of those yet, hopefully soon.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 06:07:12 AM »
Check out the Joe G. Thread and you'll see the My Little Pony rough which includes the exact Pony/Package used for the gag.

Thanks Joe! I love your tight sketchwork in the concepts! I was pulling my hair thinking there was a pony with the name Wish or something. Now I can move on to the next parody. I love the treasure hunt of locating the exact real product used for Wackies.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »

I love dripsies too but the tag line killed it. I love the gag as far as Wackys go character wise. Take a leak everywhere you go? What does that mean? Another potty joke?

Maybe Dripsie would also work as a Halloween PC title, with a fanged Dracula creating the holes in the paper cups.

As far as “Take a leak everywhere you go”, I agree the play on words doesn’t totally tie in to the parody or the concept of a Dixie drinking cup, but it is kind of funny the boy has taken a leak in his pants. That’s an embarrassing situation many of us can relate to from our childhood, especially when it happened at school. Of course as we approach 60 and 70, this phenomenon will likely return and we will need Depends.   

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 09:36:28 AM »
Thanks Joe! I love your tight sketchwork in the concepts! I was pulling my hair thinking there was a pony with the name Wish or something. Now I can move on to the next parody. I love the treasure hunt of locating the exact real product used for Wackies.

My pleasure.  If you want info on any of my other gags, I'll be happy to post the rough.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 09:53:05 AM »
Here are my early favorites:
Fiendly's- love the scary faces on the icecream. Very good art. I'd really like to know who did this one.
Raisin Brawn- love the gag and I like the look of the sun man.
Junga- like the colors and the art. It just looks cool.
Benjamin Morgue- Like grim reaper stuff, and he looks cool here.
Lalalleprosy- I like parodies of dolls where they are messed up or ugly, and this one is well done.
Grunge bob spoiled pants- I typically do not like potty jokes at all, but this one is well done and funny, and it's just visually striking, and it doesn't have a human like person as the brunt of the joke (like all the super lame potty gags do) so I like it.
I also like Ding Kongs and My little bony.

I also have to say that there may have been more lame ones in this series than any ANS since 1991.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 05:32:58 AM »
My pleasure.  If you want info on any of my other gags, I'll be happy to post the rough.

Did you work on Potty Pocket? If so, which doll/toy is that based on on. I found a lot of PP toys online, but none of them are a doll in a rectangle box like that. Thx.

Offline Simko

• Sweet Rot
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 07:55:55 AM »
Here are my early favorites:
Fiendly's- love the scary faces on the icecream. Very good art. I'd really like to know who did this one.

Thanks. Fiendly's was one that I painted and wrote the concept. Also did the Lalaleprosy one. I painted a few others and a batch of rude food titles. I never saw that AppleBeast card before. Not sure who did that one, but it came out real nice. Also Brent's Fruitcake Factory is hilariously illustrated.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 11:01:39 AM »
Thanks. Fiendly's was one that I painted and wrote the concept. Also did the Lalaleprosy one. I painted a few others and a batch of rude food titles. I never saw that AppleBeast card before. Not sure who did that one, but it came out real nice. Also Brent's Fruitcake Factory is hilariously illustrated.

Very cool! Fiendly's is definitely my favorite of the series. Possibly my favorite since ANS3 or 4.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »
Very cool! Fiendly's is definitely my favorite of the series. Possibly my favorite since ANS3 or 4.
I agree, love it.  I haven't gotten a full set together so haven't commented on my favorites, but I couldn't resist chiming in on Fiendly's.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 11:03:23 AM »

Could you post a pic. of it, I haven't seen it yet.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »

Could you post a pic. of it, I haven't seen it yet.
Mark, I just tried to upload a pic in the spoilers thread but Postimage is having some issues. I'll try again later.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »
I didn't purchase any of the Collectors boxes this time around. Can someone please ship me an empty box and some wrappers? I can send you $ via Paypal for shipping, etc. Please PM me. Thanx!

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »
I thought that was what Topps created Garbage Pail Kids for?

Topps' latest releases of Garbage Pail Kids are selling better than any GPKs since the 1980s. The powers that be probably see that as a barometer of what today's kids want.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 09:46:21 AM »
Topps' latest releases of Garbage Pail Kids are selling better than any GPKs since the 1980s. The powers that be probably see that as a barometer of what today's kids want.

Probably because of the outrageously cool high quality GPK lenticulars they keep releasing.

hint hint                   ;-)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 09:52:58 AM »
Probably because of the outrageously cool high quality GPK lenticulars they keep releasing.

hint hint                   ;-)

Well said.  Or well hinted.  I wish Wackys would do some inserts of original series that are unique and appealing.  I'd certainly buy a lot more product.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 12:10:03 PM »
Well said.  Or well hinted.  I wish Wackys would do some inserts of original series that are unique and appealing.  I'd certainly buy a lot more product.

Tell them to bring back the wacky lenticulars!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »

Maybe they can do a 73 card lenticular set with ANS12 and make them 1 per case. That was just a joke lol!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »

Ya, and the good kind. Like in the Mars set. Those were so much nicer than any Wacky lents they ever did.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 10:54:18 AM »
Need some help! Anyone know what sticker #10 is a parody of? Looks like a Spongebob Squarepants DVD or something, but I'm not sure. Is it a video game?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »
Need some help! Anyone know what sticker #10 is a parody of? Looks like a Spongebob Squarepants DVD or something, but I'm not sure. Is it a video game?

Ran this one past my two kids, both of whom are video game junkies and were Sponge Bob fans when they were younger. They believe that the parody is just a generic parody of the Sponge Bob cartoon show and the Wacky looks like it is supposed to be a DVD case.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 12:55:34 PM »
Ran this one past my two kids, both of whom are video game junkies and were Sponge Bob fans when they were younger. They believe that the parody is just a generic parody of the Sponge Bob cartoon show and the Wacky looks like it is supposed to be a DVD case.
definitely a DVD, as there is no gaming system spoof on it.
and while being generic, it is also highly specific in a few elements:

the orange plastic DVD case and Nickelodeon fully spelled out in a paint splatter.
that combo was not easy to find in my image searches. Here are some examples (and they're region 4's!)

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread Pat!  I love to hear people's opinions.  Finally got all the base stickers, so here are my favs.  I was surprised to see how many I liked, body fluid humor aside…

1. Prey-Doh Love dinosaurs, and the look in that T rex’s eye takes the cake. “Jurassic Age and Up” is a great gag. Toy dino in the boy’s hand is a nice touch.

9. SurReal I get a kick out of the surrealism reference and the homage to Dali, maybe also a touch of Magritte?

10. GrungeBob Like other forum members, the toilet humor in ANS11 really turns me off.  That said, there is something strangely appealing about this wacky.  I can’t put my finger on it….luckily!

11. Ding Kongs Love this one!  Great painting, funny gags, an all around wonderful wacky.

13. Pimply Orange Very, very close to too gross, but the facial expression on the orange saves it.  Makes me smile.

18. Frosted Fakes Love the eye-appeal on this one, classic wacky work, but the gag doesn’t do it for me.  What makes the flakes fake?  They sure look real enough.  Shouldn’t they be off in some way?

22. Dinotapp Again, my love of dinosaurs comes into play. But it’s the gags on the box that clinch it.

25. Lalaleprosy A little disgusting, but that’s the point.  “CDC Approved” made me grin.

27. Pizza Trolls Those troll faces are the bee’s knees.  Love the coloring and rendering on the ugly mugs.  “Best stored under a bridge” – great gag!

30. Goreo “The snack you crave from beyond the grave,” love the gag.  It’s the perfect “brain food” with Halloween around the corner.

32. Barnum’s Manimals Creepy, but delightful.

34. Ring Pope Fantastic gag! 

35. Bit Pre-chewed pens, what a great idea.  And the execution is old school in the best way.

36. Hamburger Hurter Another one with that original wacky feel.  That’s one zany animated hand.

39. Compost-it Great gag, and those wacky worms are a great nod to series 6 Scare Deal.  “One whiff and you’ll get the message” Indeed!

43. Benjamin Morgue The grim reaper with a paint roller had me rolling on the floor.  Another good lead up to Halloween.

45. Spray Poupon Once again, a scatological joke that I actually really like. Chimps really do fling their feces -- taking that to the next level is hilarious.  Civilized poop throwing, what a concept!

51. Skullpy Appreciate the Screech reference.  Extra Screamy!

52. Silly Thing That’s a rather scary looking “silly” thing.  Clowns weird me out, so the idea of a spraying out a ferocious swamp monster in clown makeup makes my day.

I haven’t seen all the bonus stickers yet, those to follow later.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 05:58:44 PM »

10. GrungeBob Like other forum members, the toilet humor in ANS11 really turns me off.  That said, there is something strangely appealing about this wacky.  I can’t put my finger on it….luckily!

I agree about grungebob. I like it more and more lol I guess because spongebob is kinda cheesy it's a little funny seeing him scrubbing the toilet. It's visually striking too, as I said before.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »

I haven’t seen all the bonus stickers yet, those to follow later.

B2 With Bone is a very cool wacky.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »
B2 With Bone is a very cool wacky.

I'm hoping someone will post some scan's / photos sometime...

For those of us that don't chase the extra's, or not all of them

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »

Here is B2 (from a picture I got off ebay)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »

B1 thru B6 were posted over in the spoilers thread. At some point I guess they aren't really spoilers any more.
Btw - Darth Vader is Luke's father  :P

anything