Author Topic: ANS11 Resale Prices : How Low Can They Go? Post your best deals  (Read 25631 times)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
Re: ANS11 Resale Prices : How Low Can They Go? Post your best deals
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2013, 09:24:14 AM »
Maybe you're right. Let's ask Brad and Leslie what type of humor they prefer.

Dude - that's Funny!!! FLOL!! great for Friday laughs!!! :] :] :]

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2013, 10:34:52 AM »

Unless Brad and Leslie are pseudonyms for Santa Clause or The Flash (characters who can make the trip to all of the walmart/target/tru of the country in the snap of a finger) we need to look at the people who are buying these cards when they walk into various stores selling them. Unfortunately those of us on this board or other boards like it are just a small niche in the picture.

I ask again: Have any of you noticed the competition when you walk into the card aisle of Target? Long gone are the days of Pac Man and Ewoks. If you want to sell, you need to compete.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
Unless Brad and Leslie are pseudonyms for Santa Clause or The Flash (characters who can make the trip to all of the walmart/target/tru of the country in the snap of a finger) we need to look at the people who are buying these cards when they walk into various stores selling them. Unfortunately those of us on this board or other boards like it are just a small niche in the picture.

I ask again: Have any of you noticed the competition when you walk into the card aisle of Target? Long gone are the days of Pac Man and Ewoks. If you want to sell, you need to compete.
I would guess you would mean compete for customers.  I would like to know what demographic ANS is geared towards (according to Topps).  That would be very helpful information.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2013, 11:02:02 AM »
You have to do what is going to capture the attention and interest of those keeping the hobby alive.

I agree completely, so stuff like Honey Boo Boo is probably a good idea although it makes some cringe ( I don't like Honey Boo Boo).  That said, I seriously doubt that the injection of potty humor is going to increase sales at all.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »
I would guess you would mean compete for customers.  I would like to know what demographic ANS is geared towards (according to Topps).  That would be very helpful information.
they may not know very well who Wackys are selling to - but apparently they are seeing that the sales of GPK is much higher.
So Topps probably figures it's worthwhile to skew towards GPK humor and hopefully try and pick up some fraction of those consumers and improve sales of Wackys.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »
I agree completely, so stuff like Honey Boo Boo is probably a good idea although it makes some cringe ( I don't like Honey Boo Boo).  That said, I seriously doubt that the injection of potty humor is going to increase sales at all.

I just came out of Target and took my usual perusal through the card aisle and there are so many different cards and crap marketed towards kids that gags similar to those from the 70's and 80's wouldn't stand a chance in hell of pushing packs. We never had 1/7 of the amount of cards when I was a kid that are available now. There are too many things to catch the eyes of the kids such as pins, gaming cards, athletes, wrestling, GPK, etc..,

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2013, 07:35:29 PM »

:great:
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2013, 07:51:42 PM »
I just came out of Target and took my usual perusal through the card aisle and there are so many different cards and crap marketed towards kids that gags similar to those from the 70's and 80's wouldn't stand a chance in hell of pushing packs. We never had 1/7 of the amount of cards when I was a kid that are available now. There are too many things to catch the eyes of the kids such as pins, gaming cards, athletes, wrestling, GPK, etc..,

Are the athletes crapping on the field or peeing in their pants?  Are the wrestlers sniffing each other's bare butts? 

Topps really needs to do a little research on the demographics of its products.  You ever notice how car manufacturers make several different models?  Soda manufacturers make so many different flavors?  Levis jeans makes so many different styles?  It's because one product does not suit all.  GPK appeals to a certain demographic.  More power to 'em!  Let them enjoy all the boogers, butts, zits, crap, turds, shit, diarrhea, puke, vomit, hurl, farts, gas, and crotch they can stand!  Bottom line is this type of humor never belonged in Wackys and it is exactly what killed them in the 80's and 90's.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.....

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2013, 09:24:39 PM »

Are the athletes crapping on the field or peeing in their pants?  Are the wrestlers sniffing each other's bare butts? 

Topps really needs to do a little research on the demographics of its products.  You ever notice how car manufacturers make several different models?  Soda manufacturers make so many different flavors?  Levis jeans makes so many different styles?  It's because one product does not suit all.  GPK appeals to a certain demographic.  More power to 'em!  Let them enjoy all the boogers, butts, zits, crap, turds, shit, diarrhea, puke, vomit, hurl, farts, gas, and crotch they can stand!  Bottom line is this type of humor never belonged in Wackys and it is exactly what killed them in the 80's and 90's.

Very well said!

Offline Plastered Peanut

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2013, 09:53:24 PM »
The thing is Topps can produce these and we still collect them. What does that say about us?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2013, 11:16:37 PM »
:great:

So you think this is great when you are trying to build sets yourself? I guess we need to add you to the list....

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2013, 02:21:53 AM »
So you think this is great when you are trying to build sets yourself? I guess we need to add you to the list....

Once again I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you translate?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2013, 04:37:51 AM »

To be fair, Topps IS offering different models of Wackys with postcards, and especially with Old School.  They've decided that their demographic for the ANS sets is little kids, which is disappointing for me, but I'm still in for a base set because I enjoy at least some of the titles.

To make up for the pervasive potty humor in ANS11, here's hoping that booze and cigarettes will show up in the next postcard and Old School sets!

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2013, 05:50:20 AM »

No but I'll do you one better. Look at the fantasy gaming cards (right next to WP's) and you might just happen to see some rather busty characters which completely bury an ass or underwear dripping with piss. Boobs hanging out of a shirt would have gotten my attention when I was young. The entire section has so many things captivating children. The wrestling cards from the mid 80's are nothing compared to their counterparts from today.

You're entitled to your opinion but I'd say you are completely wrong when determining why Wacky's died in the early 90's.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2013, 10:01:06 AM »
Once again I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you translate?

I should have said your list. Since you singled me and Leslie out for no reason at all. I thought you were keeping a list of people that are actually collecting ANS11. I think you are one of the few that isn't. I said I'm not a fan of the potty jokes and I really don't like them but it's not going to keep me or other collectors for collecting the series because there are other pieces that are really good. It's not the original series but it's still Wacky Packages.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »
You people complaining about titles & themes gotta remember, these are Wackys, which in reality is kid driven. Back in the original days I find it hard to believe that grown folks would go to the candy store  looking for packs, it was us as kids  with maybe a quarter in our hands getting 5 packs if the guy didn't tell us tax , otherwise we could only get 4 packs. So lighten up on all the critiquing . after all it is still kid driven & now we are reliving a part of our childhood except instead of spending a quarter we are spending hundreds if not thousands of quarters. Its only Wacky Packages!!!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2013, 11:16:37 AM »
I should have said your list. Since you singled me and Leslie out for no reason at all. I thought you were keeping a list of people that are actually collecting ANS11. I think you are one of the few that isn't. I said I'm not a fan of the potty jokes and I really don't like them but it's not going to keep me or other collectors for collecting the series because there are other pieces that are really good. It's not the original series but it's still Wacky Packages.

I agree, Crap or not I will purchase future WP releases.  I prefer not to be inundated with phlegm , puke , blood and crap but will still keep collecting.

Andrew

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »

Let me explain my original comment, since you evidently didn't understand it.

Four Roses suggested potty humor is catering to the ones "supporting this hobby", implying that that is little kids. By suggesting you and Leslie be consulted, I was only suggesting that adults spending $10 K on cases are really supporting Topps releases, not kids. I felt like some kids were into wackys in around 2006, but I don't smell a whiff of that anymore.

Nothing negative toward you or Leslie was implied.

I am curious though. If kids are the supposed market for this series, necessitating potty humor, then why are there chase cards up the wazoo that kids would neither care about nor be able to afford? I guess the idea is to market to kids and simultaneously try to bilk completist adults.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 11:42:03 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »
I am curious though. If kids are the supposed market for this series, necessitating potty humor, then why are there chase cards up the wazoo that kids would neither care about nor be able to afford? I guess the idea is to market to kids and simultaneously try to bilk completist adults.
that's the idea exactly.
Topps spelled it out to that effect to the dealers in their last two powerpoint sell sheet presentations for ANS10 and ANS11. To paraphrase from the sell sheets:
Both this and GPKs now have a two-prong 'synergistic' approach, meant to enhance sales.
kids:  the humor of the set is geared towards kids, with kid relevant products/humor/art
adults:  the architecture of the set is geared towards adults, with collector boxes, 'valuable' hits and "collector relevant" chase items (e.g. buybacks, patch relics, etc.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:00:13 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2013, 12:29:51 PM »
that's the idea exactly.
Topps spelled it out to that effect to the dealers in their last two powerpoint sell sheet presentations for ANS10 and ANS11. To paraphrase from the sell sheets:
Both this and GPKs now have a two-prong 'synergistic' approach, meant to enhance sales.
kids:  the humor of the set is geared towards kids, with kid relevant products/humor/art
adults:  the architecture of the set is geared towards adults, with collector boxes, 'valuable' hits and "collector relevant" chase items (e.g. buybacks, patch relics, etc.)

Agreed.  My primary complaints are based on my collecting mentality, and with ANS11 I felt they went way too far with variations.  With the humor, again, that's Topps' demographic, so that's what they're going to go with.  I will still try for one of each title.  But, I hope they don't expect me to spend a whole lot of money on 7 different variations of a title I didn't even like; at the same time, I hope that they won't cancel Wackys because of this issue with adult collectors like myself who stop collecting variations, which may result in reduced pre-orders/ collector sales next time.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:34:00 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2013, 08:56:59 PM »

Some of the non-potty-gross-out titles are quite good.  I'm not building a set but some of the puzzles I like.  No way am I (or could be) on a list that spends thousands of bucks...

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2013, 09:00:34 PM »
You people complaining about titles & themes gotta remember, these are Wackys, which in reality is kid driven. 

Again I have to ask, why do the kids today require such low-brow humor?  Everybody keeps saying kids, kids, kids...we were the kids who made wacky packs #1 back in the day!  And we did not need such crappy (pun intended) humor.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2013, 09:25:52 PM »
The thing is Topps can produce these and we still collect them. What does that say about us?
True, but a lot of us are buying less. In fact I was excited to hear about the TRU mini uncut sheets, but with so many potty humor titles, I probably won't be buying those. I will most likely just stick to a base set and some bonus stickers.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2013, 09:31:57 PM »
GPK appeals to a certain demographic.  More power to 'em!  Let them enjoy all the boogers, butts, zits, crap, turds, shit, diarrhea, puke, vomit, hurl, farts, gas, and crotch they can stand!
Too funny. Maybe for ANS12 Topps can restrict the potty humor titles to a subset that is only included in special "kids only" WG (Wacky Garbage) boxes  ;)

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2013, 09:55:12 PM »
Again I have to ask, why do the kids today require such low-brow humor?  Everybody keeps saying kids, kids, kids...we were the kids who made wacky packs #1 back in the day!  And we did not need such crappy (pun intended) humor.
Maybe because the cartoons have been dumbed down for some time now. For example SpongeBob. I generally like SpongeBob, and some episodes crack me up, but they contain a lot of potty humor that makes me cringe. Too bad for the kids, because as you mentioned, I don't remember cartoons needing that stuff back then to keep our attention or be funny.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2013, 11:26:42 PM »
Some of the non-potty-gross-out titles are quite good.  I'm not building a set but some of the puzzles I like.  No way am I (or could be) on a list that spends thousands of bucks...
I think that is the misconception. I bought 12 cases but after eBay and Paypal fees I'm up about $400. It's actually profitable to collect Wackys! I have a really nice collection and I made money off the series. That is amazing! Who is saying you have to pay thousands? How about making money off the series? Sure I could have sold everything but I'm also a collector as well. Why hasn't anyone mentioned Clint or Cardgary? They just buy to sell and this is their business. I've told everyone what I collected from this series an I made a profit. I also have 45 sketch cards that haven't costed me a cent. I also have 5 artist returns that haven't cost me a dime even though it cost me $850 but it's all absorbed with the profits. If I didn't buy any cards such as sketches or complete my patch set I would actually be up $2k. There you have it. I wear my collecting on my sleeve. Some don't get it. That's how it is collecting the new stuff. I know people don't like to discuss this side of collecting as its taboo. I think that is the collectors mentality to not let anything go. I want what I want and will make compromises to get to my goal. Yes I don't have every variation of all the different borders but I don't care. I think if I have the die cuts and red and canvas with all the variations I me fine. I don't even care of a standard base set in my collection because the other stuff is cooler.

Basically, don't judge my collecting habits. I just told you how to get what you want without any cash. Yes, you can use a credit card and pay it all back within a couple weeks.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2013, 04:38:14 AM »
Brad, there is no misconception, we understand you made back your money. My only point is who is financing the series, whether you resold stuff is moot. Also, please don't pretend that everyone could follow your same blueprint, the buyers would not be there for twenty people trying to go that route, as you well know.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »
Brad, there is no misconception, we understand you made back your money. My only point is who is financing the series, whether you resold stuff is moot. Also, please don't pretend that everyone could follow your same blueprint, the buyers would not be there for twenty people trying to go that route, as you well know.

Everyone has strong opinions on the forum and I respect that. I'm not a fan of what Topps has done with the ANS series but we have to deal with it. You are right that if there were more sellers then people probably wouldn't make a profit but there are some really big collectors with very deep pockets that are trying to complete everything. I know it's crazy but these people don't buy cases they buy from sellers. With my 12 cases I hardly made a dent in those collectors collection. I know one collector that wants 2 of everything. That person already completed one ANS10 red ludlow set and needs about 15 more cards for a second set so if their collecting habits stay the same then yes 20 sellers could (possibly with some lucky pulls) follow my blueprint.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »
I remember early in ANS when many of us were buying boxes and cases from Lockwood, it was mentioned that we weren't making a dent in the sales of Wackys. The big boys were Walmart, Target, TRU, etc. Not sure if that's still valid now though.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
I remember early in ANS when many of us were buying boxes and cases from Lockwood, it was mentioned that we weren't making a dent in the sales of Wackys. The big boys were Walmart, Target, TRU, etc. Not sure if that's still valid now though.

In the days before sketch cards and gold borders there wasn't much reason for a collector to order 12 cases.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »
In the days before sketch cards and gold borders there wasn't much reason for a collector to order 12 cases.

I don't think I bought my first case until ANS4 or 5. Your right it wasn't until Flashbacks came out when I started buying more than one case because of the gold search. I only ordered 3 cases initially with ANS10 and ended up buying about 20+, I don't remember off the top. I initially ordered only 5 cases of ANS11 and then the day before release I though that since Blowout was shipping my stuff overnight I would have a jump on other collectors so ordered another 7 cases. That is all I have bought and haven't picked up any more since. Its a controlled burn...LOL

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2013, 05:43:23 PM »
True, but a lot of us are buying less. In fact I was excited to hear about the TRU mini uncut sheets, but with so many potty humor titles, I probably won't be buying those. I will most likely just stick to a base set and some bonus stickers.

The year is 2013. Society is desensitized to many things so they need to be more in your face. Kids aren't coming home from school and watching Silver Spoons or The Facts of Life. The prequels to Star Wars came out and they were loaded with CGI instead of models and stop motion animation because society wouldn't have been able to handle it otherwise. The same thing is true with WP's.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
Maybe because the cartoons have been dumbed down for some time now. For example SpongeBob. I generally like SpongeBob, and some episodes crack me up, but they contain a lot of potty humor that makes me cringe. Too bad for the kids, because as you mentioned, I don't remember cartoons needing that stuff back then to keep our attention or be funny.

That is very sad.  I'm very grateful I did not grow up in this day and age.  The "machine" is selling the kids short.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »
I think that is the misconception. I bought 12 cases but after eBay and Paypal fees I'm up about $400. It's actually profitable to collect Wackys! I have a really nice collection and I made money off the series. That is amazing! Who is saying you have to pay thousands? How about making money off the series? Sure I could have sold everything but I'm also a collector as well. Why hasn't anyone mentioned Clint or Cardgary? They just buy to sell and this is their business. I've told everyone what I collected from this series an I made a profit. I also have 45 sketch cards that haven't costed me a cent. I also have 5 artist returns that haven't cost me a dime even though it cost me $850 but it's all absorbed with the profits. If I didn't buy any cards such as sketches or complete my patch set I would actually be up $2k. There you have it. I wear my collecting on my sleeve. Some don't get it. That's how it is collecting the new stuff. I know people don't like to discuss this side of collecting as its taboo. I think that is the collectors mentality to not let anything go. I want what I want and will make compromises to get to my goal. Yes I don't have every variation of all the different borders but I don't care. I think if I have the die cuts and red and canvas with all the variations I me fine. I don't even care of a standard base set in my collection because the other stuff is cooler.

Basically, don't judge my collecting habits. I just told you how to get what you want without any cash. Yes, you can use a credit card and pay it all back within a couple weeks.

Brad, if too many people attempt to collect each new Wacky series like you are doing, then it will cease to work because of a glut. In fact, that glut has already started to happen. Series 10 was 3 times as profitable as series 11. I am not faulting you. I do the same thing. I collect certain things, sell the rest and make a little money over all. My point is, it will only work for so many people before it stops working. It could stop working with any given series, then it will be like being on a sinking ship.

anything