Author Topic: ANS11 Resale Prices : How Low Can They Go? Post your best deals  (Read 25562 times)

Offline DrDeal

Re: ANS11 Resale Prices : How Low Can They Go? Post your best deals
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 05:21:32 AM »
You nailed it on every level here.
I think the other factor contributing to your success this time was pulling two Super tough cards. I think it was the 1 of 5 made
gold red Ludlow back lost wackies. Not exactly sure what the cards were but scoring a few $700 cards when most are pulling $20 golds could skew your cash flow in the right direction yes?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 07:13:24 AM »
I think the other factor contributing to your success this time was pulling two Super tough cards. I think it was the 1 of 5 made
gold red Ludlow back lost wackies. Not exactly sure what the cards were but scoring a few $700 cards when most are pulling $20 golds could skew your cash flow in the right direction yes?

That's true and that should have been disclosed. Even if I didn't pull those I think I would have been close to breaking even.

Offline Kook

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 01:50:59 PM »
That's true and that should have been disclosed. Even if I didn't pull those I think I would have been close to breaking even.

Luck is a big factor, no doubt. The more you buy, the luckier you will tend to be.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »
I didn't purchase any of the Collectors boxes this time around. Can someone please ship me an empty box and some wrappers? I can send you $ via Paypal for shipping, etc. Please PM me. Thanx!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 09:13:38 AM »
  That is what is funny to them and that is supposed to be Topps target audience.

Kids have always been the "target audience"; however, show me one fart joke in the original 1-16 series.  Those did pretty well with the kids, I think we all agree.  Show me one potty joke in OS1-16.  Did we as kids appreciate more intellect and/or wit in our humor than the kids today?   Sorry, I don't find anything witty, clever, or satirical about fart and potty humor.  Glad they were absent in OS1-16.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »
Kids have always been the "target audience"; however, show me one fart joke in the original 1-16 series.  Those did pretty well with the kids, I think we all agree.  Show me one potty joke in OS1-16.  Did we as kids appreciate more intellect and/or wit in our humor than the kids today?   Sorry, I don't find anything witty, clever, or satirical about fart and potty humor.  Glad they were absent in OS1-16.

As I've said before, I find the "humor" in wacky gags to be overrated. There are some amusing moments in all the series, but what stands out about the original 1-16 is the character art and the realistic depiction of the packaging. 

That said, I agree the originals were "classier" in the sense David describes.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »
As I've said before, I find the "humor" in wacky gags to be overrated. There are some amusing moments in all the series, but what stands out about the original 1-16 is the character art and the realistic depiction of the packaging. 

That said, I agree the originals were "classier" in the sense David describes.

100% with you on the realistic depiction of the packaging and the character art.   Combine those with wacked-out taglines like "Antidote inside!" and "Free 24 Vol. Set Encyclopedia Brittanica in every box!" and I was immediately hooked as a kid!  (The 2nd series was my "first".)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 09:55:03 AM »
Yeah, some of the gag details are funny, I agree. But when I look back at what really makes me laugh, it's always the characters. 6-up, Dopey Whip, etc. would be pretty weak without the characters.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 10:07:38 AM »
but what stands out about the original 1-16 is the character art and the realistic depiction of the packaging. 

and that's what I'm really starting to miss with these last two releases. Far, far too many have weak depictions of the packaging.
Imprecise, non-symmetric, out-of-round, distorted proportions, etc. etc. Quite a few lack that spark of realism.
And the 'Favorites' topic thread reflects this desire as well, by noticing which titles are being chosen, and particularly, which ones are not being picked.

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 12:10:29 PM »
and that's what I'm really starting to miss with these last two releases. Far, far too many have weak depictions of the packaging.
Imprecise, non-symmetric, out-of-round, distorted proportions, etc. etc. Quite a few lack that spark of realism.
And the 'Favorites' topic thread reflects this desire as well, by noticing which titles are being chosen, and particularly, which ones are not being picked.

If they do another F*ckin parody of Licky or whatever Charms and Frosted or whatever Flakes - I am going to kill someone!!! >:D >:D >:D
GET SOME NEW PRODUCTS!!!ALL THE PASTA SAUCES, CEREALS, DOG FOOD, ETC... >:D >:D

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »
If they do another F*ckin parody of Licky or whatever Charms and Frosted or whatever Flakes - I am going to kill someone!!! >:D >:D >:D
GET SOME NEW PRODUCTS!!!ALL THE PASTA SAUCES, CEREALS, DOG FOOD, ETC... >:D >:D

Haha truth.  Some of these products are way over done by now.  C'mon Topps you can do better!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 07:52:44 PM »
I don't know why they can't use other products or even different color wrappers :^)
I have a hunch they will do 5 more ANS series and then be done. 16 series sound familiar? Only 5 more orange wrappers to go...LOL

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2013, 07:59:12 PM »
Here's one potty joke in OS 1-16:     POOPSIE (parody of Pepsi in a bottle)

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 08:03:11 PM »

Ironically, it happens to be one of the worst from series 1-16.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »

bzzzt!  Thanks for playing.  "poop" is also a term for an old person; hence the dichotomy between "those who are young" and those "poops" that are old.  or maybe that humor is a little too smart....yeh, it's all about shit...too bad it wasn't done today with ANS...they would have painted little turds inside the bottle.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 10:33:20 PM »
I don't know why they can't use other products or even different color wrappers :^)
I have a hunch they will do 5 more ANS series and then be done. 16 series sound familiar? Only 5 more orange wrappers to go...LOL

I heard in Allentown that there is a strong chance that the next set will be called something like "2014 Series 1." As of now the plan is still to produce two new retail series per calendar year.

I didn't ask why the color scheme has been orange for the last three releases, but if you look at the advance promotion for ANS10 and ANS11, each has used the previous series' packaging as an example. It may just be that they haven't had (or taken) the time to mock up new packaging by the deadline for the promo material, so they think they have to stick close to what's been advertised. Just a theory though. 

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 10:39:05 PM »
Haha truth.  Some of these products are way over done by now.  C'mon Topps you can do better!

Topps is not too concerned about repetition of products between series because every new set can be some kids' first, and they want to hit them with recognizable brands and gags they can relate to.

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2013, 10:48:30 PM »
bzzzt!  Thanks for playing.  "poop" is also a term for an old person; hence the dichotomy between "those who are young" and those "poops" that are old.  or maybe that humor is a little too smart....yeh, it's all about shit...too bad it wasn't done today with ANS...they would have painted little turds inside the bottle.

I always read "poopsie" as a cutesy nickname for a baby... like a mom might say "my widdle poopsie"... but agree that it was never intended as a poop gag.

Topps most likely had different standards for gags then--one might say "classier" standards--because the culture as a whole was still slightly more genteel 40 years ago than it is now. The playground in 1973 was full of booger and puke and poop talk but you didn't see much of that in the media, it was more taboo than it is now. 

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2013, 08:00:39 AM »
The bottom line here is that the historically the Wackys that have been the most appealing has been because of cool looking art and characters. There is nothing cool looking about some turds, or a guy with his pants full of poop, or a rear end. Nothing at all.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »
I always read "poopsie" as a cutesy nickname for a baby... like a mom might say "my widdle poopsie"... but agree that it was never intended as a poop gag.
This is exactly what I always thought too. Never associated it with a poop gag.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2013, 09:30:21 AM »
The bottom line here is that the historically the Wackys that have been the most appealing has been because of cool looking art and characters. There is nothing cool looking about some turds, or a guy with his pants full of poop, or a rear end. Nothing at all.
Bingo. Potty humor just doesn't belong in Wackys. The kids that like that can go buy GPK.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2013, 09:51:33 AM »

I agree that the poor depictions of packaging really distract me from the characters and gags.  It's not necessarily that I love the "nuts and bolts" of packaging, but that they really take me out of the experience as I am so critical of the poor rendering.  Oh, and like so many here, I hate all the poop and bodily fluid humor.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2013, 10:03:09 AM »
The humor in OS 1-16 seemed more in line with Warner Bros cartoons of the 40's - more adult. The newer ANS potty "humor" is very Shrek-like in its wit (i.e. imperceptible on the Wit-O-Meter). I fear it's one more sign of the overall decay of civilization in general...

Another subtle aspect of the humor I see in the OS 1-16 that started to disappear in the 85 series and beyond was the fact that the characters seemed liked characters acting/playing a part. I could imagine them in a photo shoot for the art and then going off and doing something else afterwards. In other words, they were never harmed - it was just a gag. Some of the newer ones make it look like characters are actually being hurt or are genuinely distressed in some way - not playing a part. Again it is VERY subtle - but it's there.

Mark Parisi nailed this recently with a very funny comic: http://www.gocomics.com/offthemark/2013/10/03

The cat is not in real pain or danger. You can imagine hearing "cut" and the cat deflates and walks away with the other "actors" in the scene and goes and has a latte. The expression on the cat's face and his overall look - but mainly that expression - are what makes this cartoon hilarious! The newer "humor" would have the cat looking genuinely distressed and/or poked full of blood-oozing holes and/or dead. Not funnier that way - just grim - and that's the difference I see.

In lots of the newer Wackys there's this very subtle "edge" on the images that convey actual pain/distress on the parts of characters rather than this more subtle (and much funnier imo) conveyance.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »
I got one of the Gold. Red Ludlow lost wackys.  From past experience after a few months these cards lose most of their value. (like a new car does).  I purchased 5 cases @350.00 each, and I sold that card for 600.00.  I though am keeping the Black Ludlows and Golds.  I would like to get a full set of those.  Also I want a full set of patches however I truly believe that they will come down in value. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »
Also I want a full set of patches however I truly believe that they will come down in value.  
We still don't know if the Pupsi is rare or not. There is only one on eBay now. I paid $200 for mine just to finish the set.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:49:15 PM by BumChex »

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2013, 01:53:45 PM »
We still don't know if the Pupsi is rare or not. There is only one on eBay now. I paid $200 for mine just to finish the set.
Right now that is a good price, maybe even a steal!  I just have to wait it out and see if they come down like they did last series. (I have recently picked up many series 10 Red ludlows between 10-20 bucks each).   I hope I don't have a hole in my collection because of my views. 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2013, 02:40:48 PM »
Bingo. Potty humor just doesn't belong in Wackys. The kids that like that can go buy GPK.

Anyone else remember Bathroom Buddies?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2013, 07:07:57 PM »
Right now that is a good price, maybe even a steal!  I just have to wait it out and see if they come down like they did last series. (I have recently picked up many series 10 Red ludlows between 10-20 bucks each).   I hope I don't have a hole in my collection because of my views.  

There are a couple really strong collectors of red Luds. If they both have the same card you will get them for that price but if its a tough one you will have to open your wallet or you may never see it again. I know 2 collectors that still need about 6 cards each for ANS10 red lud sets. It's that much of a grind and they may never find them? I can't imagine spending around $6k for a set of ANS red Luds but what do I know? Yes, there are still completists even with these crazy odds.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:13:12 PM by BumChex »

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2013, 07:32:14 PM »
There are a couple really strong collectors of red Luds. If they both have the same card you will get them for that price but if its a tough one you will have to open your wallet or you may never see it again. I know 2 collectors that still need about 6 cards each for ANS10 red lud sets. It's that much of a grind and they may never find them? I can't imagine spending around $6k for a set of ANS red Luds but what do I know? Yes, there are still completists even with these crazy odds.

So "Flopps" is catering to a few completest by adding all this garbage to their sets while alienating what seems to be most of the people who collect this stuff.  Love the way corprate assholes think!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2013, 05:26:24 AM »
I guess I am going to play the odds that Topps produced more cards then there are serious collectors.  I agree that plates and artist autographs have a definite number produced.  However I am hoping with the greater amount of cases out there, that later there will be a plethora of product to choose from.  I would adjust my thinking if I had an exact number of boxes produced, but since I can't find that information I have to use past performances and extrapolate the results.  What that then tells me is black ludlows, golds, cloths, pencil sketches and die cuts will be in big supply and the prices will come down.   Red ludlows after a year and when the few who have spent ungodly amounts of money on them are done, will settle under 20 bucks each.  Sketches are always a different animal, meaning a shit sketch will always bring shit money where as a great sketch will always be desirable.  I guess you could call me a cost conscience completest.   Meaning I will buy up full series of golds and ludlows, however I won't be the one who dictates initial market prices.  From Ans10 I was able to get ludlows golds and cloths,  full sets and not at initial prices.  As for reds I have collected 27 of the so far.  All at an average price of under 20 bucks.  It might take a few years but I will eventually get them.  I will give an example of where I didn't follow my own advise early on.  Any Reepers sticker in the beginning commanded a premium.  I paid 50 dollars for a cloth one.  Later about 2 months into the program run I picked up 2 more for under 10.00.  Now as a seller I would use perceived rarity to my advantage, however as a collector, I now will take the attitude that someone will eventually sell and when a newer series is out the old series becomes like "leftovers from a good restaurant".  Meaning with a limited amount a fund most people would buy the new stuff then get the old stuff. 

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2013, 06:04:40 AM »

Alright BRAD...what are the RED LUDs they need...from ANS10 - I have cases still to open from ANS10 - and ANS11  :o :o- I can post a list of what I have...I do have #13 Red Lud for sale from ANS11....if anyone needs that...later :great:

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2013, 07:58:06 AM »
Apparently some people aren't pleased with potty humor, asses, crap, etc.., and while that is your opinion you must also realize times change. As much fun as it was, this isn't the mid 80's anymore. Society is desensitized to many things so you need appeal to their other side. As much as we'd like Topps and Wacky Packages to exist thanks to us, the collectors and enthusiasts, that just isn't true. You have to do what is going to capture the attention and interest of those keeping the hobby alive. When you look at the other competition in the card dept you recognize why the change in humor.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »
Quote from: FourRoses link=topic=3163.msg63384#msg63384
You have to do what is going to capture the attention and interest of those keeping the hobby alive.

Maybe you're right. Let's ask Brad and Leslie what type of humor they prefer.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »
Maybe you're right. Let's ask Brad and Leslie what type of humor they prefer.

I have said already that I'm not a fan. I couldn't tell you what Leslie thinking. Thanks for singling us out. :-\

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2013, 09:13:25 AM »
Alright BRAD...what are the RED LUDs they need...from ANS10 - I have cases still to open from ANS10 - and ANS11  :o :o- I can post a list of what I have...I do have #13 Red Lud for sale from ANS11....if anyone needs that...later :great:

I'll PM you

anything