Author Topic: ANS11 Resale Prices : How Low Can They Go? Post your best deals  (Read 25628 times)

Offline DrDeal

ANS11 Resale Prices : How Low Can They Go? Post your best deals
« on: October 03, 2013, 04:49:55 AM »
Now that it is clear that Wacky's have plummeted in terms of resale value; it might be nice to start a thread that highlights the great deals that people are finding on these cards. I saw Two different ANS11 Lost Wacky's listed today on Ebay for $19.99 or Best Offer. These went for $50 - 70
each with ANS10. They come 1 per CASE. My how things have changed. Sketches are the same story for awhile now but everything from ANS11 except Patches and Plates seems to have lost 80 percent of its resale value. I purchased 4 Collector Boxes this vs. 8 last time. I am glad I cut my outlay in half because I won't recoup more than 20 percent of my outlay. I can handle that as I am a collector / not a dealer.  But it makes me wonder how I will handle it for ANS12. I may not buy any boxes and just buy what I need from peers or Ebay.

Andrew

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
Re: ANS11 Resale Prices : How Low Can They Go? Post your best deals
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:20:13 AM »
Thanks for the post - I hadn't picked those up yet, so I went ahead and bought them for $19.95 each on the auctions you mentioned.  Seems like a bargain, even in the declining values scenario, though who knows - maybe a lost set will end being $25 in a couple of months.  Personally I thought this particular group of Lost Wackys was weak in terms of the artwork, so that may be a factor.  Nonetheless, I totally agree that the resale value of all the ANS stuff has tanked.  You can now buy full master sets of previous series for $50 to $100 (which is a fraction of what the individual chase sets were selling for on ebay when they were released).  I expect that Topps is only making this worse by adding more and more variations and "rare" cards to each set.  It's gotten so complex and expensive that there's no hope anyone could ever attain a true "master" set anymore, so there's not much incentive to pick up a silver border set to "finish" the series when you know you'll never get all the golds, die-cuts, patches, etc.  It also just seems like a money grab for Topps; not sure they're really helping the collectors that much with all these rare variations.   

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 06:22:02 AM »
I think what you're seeing is that rarity doesn't result in value unless someone cares about the item. Diehard collectors can convince themselves that they care when there are a manageable number of items to care about, but once oversaturation sets in it's a lot easier to decide not to care about anything.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 07:49:30 AM »
Not much is selling. Case prices are going lower. We are only a week into a new series and this stuff just isn't moving. With ANS10 case prices were going up because they were tougher to find. I think with the high demand for ANS10 Topps decided to double their production with all the variations to justify it. It's a total fail!

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 07:56:13 AM »
I'm waiting for 55 card ANS11 base sets to hit $5.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 11:09:48 AM »
Thanks for the post - I hadn't picked those up yet, so I went ahead and bought them for $19.95 each on the auctions you mentioned.  Seems like a bargain, even in the declining values scenario, though who knows - maybe a lost set will end being $25 in a couple of months.  Personally I thought this particular group of Lost Wackys was weak in terms of the artwork, so that may be a factor.  Nonetheless, I totally agree that the resale value of all the ANS stuff has tanked.  You can now buy full master sets of previous series for $50 to $100 (which is a fraction of what the individual chase sets were selling for on ebay when they were released).  I expect that Topps is only making this worse by adding more and more variations and "rare" cards to each set.  It's gotten so complex and expensive that there's no hope anyone could ever attain a true "master" set anymore, so there's not much incentive to pick up a silver border set to "finish" the series when you know you'll never get all the golds, die-cuts, patches, etc.  It also just seems like a money grab for Topps; not sure they're really helping the collectors that much with all these rare variations.   

You're right, it's a short term money grab for Topps. It will kill the ANS Wackys, so in the long term Topps is going to lose out. Is Topps going overboard on all their properties like this?

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:12:08 AM »
I think what you're seeing is that rarity doesn't result in value unless someone cares about the item. Diehard collectors can convince themselves that they care when there are a manageable number of items to care about, but once oversaturation sets in it's a lot easier to decide not to care about anything.

I agree. For the first time I may not try to get the silver set. I have the silver set for every series so far but Topps getting carried away like this is taking my interest away. The alternate backs is a big time turn off. They should have kept that to the base set only.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:13:23 AM »
I'm waiting for 55 card ANS11 base sets to hit $5.

Some people are probably waiting for them to hit $1 :P

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »
Not much is selling. Case prices are going lower. We are only a week into a new series and this stuff just isn't moving. With ANS10 case prices were going up because they were tougher to find. I think with the high demand for ANS10 Topps decided to double their production with all the variations to justify it. It's a total fail!

Big time fail! I wonder if the people at Topps even realize or are they just happy to sell the cases they've sold? I imagine that they've sold all of them. Going by plate odds, production of Collectors cases was up 48% over ANS10. My guess is orders for series 12 will be very low, hurting Topps, possibly causing them to shelve ANS Wackys, but then value on series 12 could be up some over series 11 on the resale market because there could be half as many printed. Who knows how this will play out. None of it is good for the long term health of the Wacky Packages line.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »
Maybe shelving further ANS series for a period of time is exactly what this hobby needs. Keep the post cards and old school series since they experience a larger gap between releases and are made (PC's in a relatively small number).

Online jeffcaff

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 12:16:47 PM »
I think the production estimates are pretty accurate.  I think topps produced about 500 ANS10 collector cases and probably closer to 1000 ANS11 collector cases  With ANS10 cases selling for about $340.00, I would expect ANS11 cases to be well below $300.00 a case very soon.  The Dealers who are holding onto these cases are probably in for a rude awakening in the next few weeks. With binders and halloween postcards coming soon, the buzz is almost over on ANS11. Wacky Package products are probably only about 2% of Topps annual sales so the top executives probably do not care that much.  The individuals who care the most would probably be Mike Jasperson, Dave Gross and some of the artists like Neil Camera.  They both probably read the forum regularly but I am sure that they would be very interested in all of the forum members comments. 

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 02:45:06 PM »
Some people are probably waiting for them to hit $1 :P

Give it time, maybe $0.10 a set! if that...i have 100 ANS 8 sets i'll sell you for $0.05 a set.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 03:16:08 PM »
I think the production estimates are pretty accurate.  I think topps produced about 500 ANS10 collector cases and probably closer to 1000 ANS11 collector cases  With ANS10 cases selling for about $340.00, I would expect ANS11 cases to be well below $300.00 a case very soon.  The Dealers who are holding onto these cases are probably in for a rude awakening in the next few weeks. With binders and halloween postcards coming soon, the buzz is almost over on ANS11. Wacky Package products are probably only about 2% of Topps annual sales so the top executives probably do not care that much.  The individuals who care the most would probably be Mike Jasperson, Dave Gross and some of the artists like Neil Camera.  They both probably read the forum regularly but I am sure that they would be very interested in all of the forum members comments. 

If you do the math based on the odds of pulling a base plate, there are around 550 cases of ans10 made and 820 for ANS11.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 06:46:11 PM »
Maybe shelving further ANS series for a period of time is exactly what this hobby needs. Keep the post cards and old school series since they experience a larger gap between releases and are made (PC's in a relatively small number).

The only thing that interests me in ANS11 are the OS Magnet titles; and I'll probably just buy them on ebay to save me time and money.  All the bathroom humor is a total turn-off for me.  :-(  Not to mention the already growing discontent with the myriad variations, the manufactured "rare" items, the sheer cost of everything......uggggh.  Maybe I should thank them for the bathroom humor; it finally made me say "Enough!!"
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »
The only thing that interests me in ANS11 are the OS Magnet titles; and I'll probably just buy them on ebay to save me time and money.  All the bathroom humor is a total turn-off for me.  :-(  Not to mention the already growing discontent with the myriad variations, the manufactured "rare" items, the sheer cost of everything......uggggh.  Maybe I should thank them for the bathroom humor; it finally made me say "Enough!!"

Yeah, they've taken wackys in several bad directions at once (bad humor, over production, too many gimmicks).

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »
Yeah, they've taken wackys in several bad directions at once (bad humor, over production, too many gimmicks).

It's very sad....I feel like I've "grown out of" Wacky's a second time.   But my love for the originals and bright spots in the ANS series will not fade away like it did the first time.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 07:28:29 PM »
Yes, they are manufactures rare items. This has been this way for 25 years with Topps and other companies with sports cards and such. This is not a shock at all. We've dealt with it with several ANS and OLDS releases.

The original series is what it is and those rare items are why those series are so treasured. The 70s were anything goes and there will always be a place in our heart for them. This is a different culture. Thinking about our comments maybe we are turning into those old farts that don't get it? You should see my daughters text's. I don't read them but I grab her phone because it rings and the text is OMG I just farted so loud. That is what is funny to them and that is supposed to be Topps target audience.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 07:56:48 PM »
Young or old, farts are funny though.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 08:01:32 PM »

Exactomundo. I will be buying with extreme caution. If I even have so much as an intuitive thought that the price is too high of any certain item, I'm out. Whatever I end up with from this series is just fine. Done with chasing, learning, and accounting for all the fabricated "hard to get" cards. IMO fabricating is not true rarity anyway.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 08:58:54 PM »
Exactomundo. I will be buying with extreme caution. If I even have so much as an intuitive thought that the price is too high of any certain item, I'm out. Whatever I end up with from this series is just fine. Done with chasing, learning, and accounting for all the fabricated "hard to get" cards. IMO fabricating is not true rarity anyway.

Yes, there are manufactured rarities. They are still rarities regardless if they were intentional or not. It's the way of life now.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »
Young or old, farts are funny though.
Quoting George Carlin: "Kids think farts are funny. Farts are funny as hell. Farts are shit without the mess".

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »
I don't really mind that the cost of the cases or the ebay values are going down on these cards - makes it easier for me to complete the sets that I want to have, even if it will take a few years. That's what collecting is all about - I don't understand why some people want everything completed within the first few days of a release - what's the fun and wheres the discovery in that? I like the thrill of the hunt, especially if it comes cheaper. As much as I liked opening the first couple of collector boxes, and that is still as fun as it was in childhood except that back then it was a few 10c packs at a time, now comes the time to fill those empty spots. I'm not so worried about the prices going down as I don't collect for profit, though I did sell plates from the ans10 series on ebay. Between ans10 and ans11 it really will take years, even with loads of cash, as some of the items really are made in small quantities. I'll just let the craziness die down for a bit and not overpay when these htf cards first hit the marketplace. It's like collecting the original series, you just have to bide your time and decide which sets and what condition you want for your own collecting pleasure.
A

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 06:11:45 PM »
I don't really mind that the cost of the cases or the ebay values are going down on these cards - makes it easier for me to complete the sets that I want to have, even if it will take a few years. That's what collecting is all about - I don't understand why some people want everything completed within the first few days of a release - what's the fun and wheres the discovery in that? I like the thrill of the hunt, especially if it comes cheaper. As much as I liked opening the first couple of collector boxes, and that is still as fun as it was in childhood except that back then it was a few 10c packs at a time, now comes the time to fill those empty spots. I'm not so worried about the prices going down as I don't collect for profit, though I did sell plates from the ans10 series on ebay. Between ans10 and ans11 it really will take years, even with loads of cash, as some of the items really are made in small quantities. I'll just let the craziness die down for a bit and not overpay when these htf cards first hit the marketplace. It's like collecting the original series, you just have to bide your time and decide which sets and what condition you want for your own collecting pleasure.
A

The reason collectors go crazy with a new release is because they want to complete the tough stuff otherwise they may never see it again. I know 2 guys still needing a couple red Luds from ANS10 and they may never find them. People are done cracking cases of older stuff.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 06:43:23 PM »
The reason collectors go crazy with a new release is because they want to complete the tough stuff otherwise they may never see it again. I know 2 guys still needing a couple red Luds from ANS10 and they may never find them. People are done cracking cases of older stuff.

There are still people looking for golds to complete prior sets as well. In regards to what Alex said, good point on everything except that with sales dropped to this current level the big dealers are going to buy way less of the next series. If the sales are low enough on the next series it will be the last series for a long time.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 02:21:12 AM »
Just sold my Gold Go Flush Card for $17.50.  I guess toilet humor is not hot right now.

Andrew

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 02:46:09 AM »

WHICH ONES ON  ANS10 - I HAVE LUDS MAN!!!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »
A

Good point there, but I think what bums some and maybe most collectors out is the fact that "the hunt" may end up taking too much time, then and that makes it no so much fun for some collectors as they do not have the time to keep up with hunting or all the variations to collect.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 09:50:21 AM »
Good point there, but I think what bums some and maybe most collectors out is the fact that "the hunt" may end up taking too much time, then and that makes it no so much fun for some collectors as they do not have the time to keep up with hunting or all the variations to collect.

I don't mind waiting and hunting, but when there are literally more than 1,200 items in a set, many of which are $10-$75+, it is just too much, and I'll take a pass on 7 different variations of the same Wacky.  I also used to maintain separate binders of puzzles, cereal titles, and bonus cards, but since ANS10 it's now just too expensive, and no longer fun. 

Bottom line - if I'm going to spend this kind of money on trading cards, I'd rather buy a high grade older set.  Hell, for what it would take to get everything in this set, I could probably buy beautiful Ratz and Cracked Animals diecuts!!  I will still attempt to obtain every unique Wacky title, and the cheapest version for every unique back.  But there are a lot of things I'm now passing on, partly because of the split between "collector" and "hobby" boxes which created even more border variation and special sets per series. 

Topps should look at some recent history where a successful product line was killed by making it impossible for their customers to acquire or maintain a complete set of their product because of deliberately manufactured rarities.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 12:31:22 PM »

Bottom line - if I'm going to spend this kind of money on trading cards, I'd rather buy a high grade older set.

:thumbsup:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
A lot of collectors score all this stuff with very little out of pocket expense, or a profit. So basically it's fairly easy to get all this stuff without spending too much. It all depends on what you want to collect.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 06:53:48 PM »
A lot of collectors score all this stuff with very little out of pocket expense, or a profit. So basically it's fairly easy to get all this stuff without spending too much. It all depends on what you want to collect.

Can you explain how you score all his stuff while making a profit as everyone laments how nothing from the series is selling well on eBay?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 07:54:27 PM »
Can you explain how you score all his stuff while making a profit as everyone laments how nothing from the series is selling well on eBay?

I bought 12 cases and had them overnighted so I had them on release day. I had them quick for quick sales because buyers of red Luds don't know when/if they will show up again.
I've sold all my red Luds, black Luds, most cloth, most golds, most doubles of lost and bonus stickers, all plates, most artist autos, some sketches, a few sets of base and a couple sets of black canvas, a set of die-cuts and a set of pencil concepts minus 3 cards.
As of Friday I was up  about $100 and I've retained:
About 45 sketches, all variation sets of base, red border, black canvas, magnet set, coloring set, complete patch set, all bonus, all lost, both comic autos, complete die-cut set. This also included enough profit for 5 color return sketch cards. I also deducted for Paypal and eBay fees. I will check again tomorrow with all the numbers but as of Friday I was up and retained all the stuff listed including the artists return sketches. That is why you have to move quick. It might not be for everyone. Also, collectors have the trouble of getting rid of stuff so they can't sell. I have no problem. I want what I want in my collection and to get it for little to nothing is the goal. You have to make sacrifices and some can't do it. It's not that hard.

Sales after one week have really slowed even though I have about 9 packages to ship tomorrow. Most of these have been off eBay so you can't look at completed auctions.

The thing is I could probably sell all of my sketches and I would probably be up another $2000.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 03:10:30 AM »
Brad,

Nice job on breaking even this time around. I appreciate your detailed recap of outlay/ sales/ net outlay.

I only purchased 4 collector boxes and sold very little as I did not pull much of the higher end stuff from my boxes.

I have around $500 into this release as I was not able to sell much and purchased most of  the bonus cards as well as a few returns.

I am fine with my outlay but will spend less next time around. The key differentiator for you is having the 4 to 5 K to lay out in order to secure

your 12 cases.

Andrew

Offline Kook

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 06:03:04 AM »
Nice job on breaking even this time around. I appreciate your detailed recap of outlay/ sales/ net outlay.
The key differentiator for you is having the 4 to 5 K to lay out in order to secure
your 12 cases.

Andrew

I believe the recipe is:
1. $4k to $5k+
2. Rolodex to call to sell the right items to the right people (from experience on prior deals). There is no place for bottom feeders in this equation. You've got to get top dollar FAAAST to make this all work.
3. Time to devote - if this isn't done immediately, people either loose interest, or get their needs filled elsewhere. You must strike while the iron is hot. This gets more & more critical with each release IMO, and there will come a time when the pendulum will swing the other way. I find it tougher & tougher with each release, and it has long past my comfort zone. I'm sure if Brad chimes in, he will confirm that the list of "whales" is shrinking, and as others learn who they are, it's not only a game of timing, but one of luck as well based on your pulls.
4. Guts to pull the trigger. Again, with each release, I see this as a game of musical chairs, with fewer people chasing these, while the price & complexity of each release go up. At some point, you'll be left standing. In the meantime, kudos to Brad for a job well done!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 07:01:49 AM »
I believe the recipe is:
1. $4k to $5k+
2. Rolodex to call to sell the right items to the right people (from experience on prior deals). There is no place for bottom feeders in this equation. You've got to get top dollar FAAAST to make this all work.
3. Time to devote - if this isn't done immediately, people either loose interest, or get their needs filled elsewhere. You must strike while the iron is hot. This gets more & more critical with each release IMO, and there will come a time when the pendulum will swing the other way. I find it tougher & tougher with each release, and it has long past my comfort zone. I'm sure if Brad chimes in, he will confirm that the list of "whales" is shrinking, and as others learn who they are, it's not only a game of timing, but one of luck as well based on your pulls.
4. Guts to pull the trigger. Again, with each release, I see this as a game of musical chairs, with fewer people chasing these, while the price & complexity of each release go up. At some point, you'll be left standing. In the meantime, kudos to Brad for a job well done!

You nailed it on every level here.

anything